Sah'tea | Dogfish Head Craft Brewery

Dogfish Head Craft Brewery
Delaware, United States
dogfish.com

Style: Sahti

This Ancient Ale is a modern take on a 9th-century Finnish beer.

The wort for Sah'tea is caramelized over white-hot river rocks, and the beer is fermented with a German weizen yeast. In addition to juniper berries foraged from the Finnish countryside, Sah'tea is flavored with black tea, cardamom, cinnamon, ginger, cloves and black pepper.

The spicing is subtle and balanced, and Sah'tea is a highly-quaffable, truly unique brew with a full mouthfeel.

Added by DarkerTheBetter on 09-28-2008

firstprev| 1776-1800 | 1801-1825 | 1826-1850  | next → last
Ratings: 1,836 |  Reviews: 605
3.7/5  rDev -4.6%

Just had on-tap at the Dogfish Head Alehouse in Gaithersburg.

First off, the abv is 9%.

Appearance was a bright yellow, a little cloudy but fairly bright.

Smell contained many spices, cardamom and orange being the most predominant.

Taste - despite the very interesting way it was made and the rare ingredients, it tasted like a pretty standard hefeweizen to me. Very well-balanced, in fact, which is rare for Dogfish Head. Spices did not dominate. I could tell it was more complex than most hefeweizens, but it was hard to distinguish why.

Mouthfeel was fairly light, normal for its style.

Drinkability - fairly good because of its balance.

Overall, I was slightly disappointed. Dogfish Head is my favorite brewery, but this and the Theobroma, despite the unique ingredients and history behind them, have not had the punch that their other rarer beers have. Sah'tea is definitely worth a try, especially for hefeweizen lovers, but the taste wasn't anything exceptional.

3.68/5  rDev -5.2%

On-tap at the brewpub, served in a small pilsner glass. Appeared a bright, but hazy, yellow with a white head. I know Sam put a lot of work into this, but to me it really just tastes like an over-spiced wit. There's a hit of sweet, fruity berries and juniper spice plus a not of black pepper, but this beer comes off like a mess and its hard to understand the layers that were put into it. For what it's worth, I'd suggest dialing the recipe back a bit and letting more individual flavors standout.

4.15/5  rDev +7%

I found this to be a good beer the ABV is listed as 9.0 ABV on the bottle. I have submitted a update to BA.

This beer reminds me of a alot of some Belgian beers while I can say I have never had this style before.

A - is a light orange haze with small head of foam when poured.

S - Can smell the berries maybe faint citrus, earthy.

T - better as it warms up taste a lot like some belgians I have had in the past. again very earthy.

M - Dry mouthfeel almost wine like.

D - I can tell this is good. I am not sure if it my stlye but good.

4.02/5  rDev +3.6%

So...Chai tea and juniper berries, huh? Only other Sahti I've tried was from Nogne Ø so don't confuse me with any maven of the style...the Duvel tulip seems like it'll work just fine for this one. Mild "pffft" of the cap.

Pours a very cloudy, farmhouse-ish flat and ultra viscous honey gold with a fair amount of lemon pith. Relatively translucent - active yet sparse carbonation is visible from the bottom up. One downer is really no head to speak of - just a couple of yeast wisps. This is really almost gelatinous, it's so thick.

Well, I can definitely make out the juniper and a little honey with a lot of deep sweetness. Can make out the spicing of the Chai tea very nicely. Not sure of the style guidelines but this smells pretty damn good to me. Just a little bit of mild yeast electricity here.

As comforting and viscous as it looks and smells, it rolls down the gullet the same way. There are all of the nice elements of juniper, Chai, clove and a light note of honey sweetness. A bit of dryness from the yeast clearing everything out keeps everything pretty clean, even with the gravity of it all. Quite good. It's not the shock to the system that the new(er) world Nogne Ø offering was - this seems more subtle and mellow.

I really enjoy the palate feel of this one. It has a heavy quotient at first but the yeast and spiciness really dry it up well for the weight class while also keeping it very clean and refreshing on the finish. Almost spritely from the juniper (which is not overstated...its own blessing) and the mild Chai tea spicing. Very even-keeled and excellent.

First Sammy C. digs out the Old Odense Ale in a collaboration with NB. Now this. Nothing like playing old B-sides people haven't heard in a while...or ever! This is a fine offering that drinks quite well - maybe the heft and viscosity make it at least somewhat of a sipper, but it's enjoyable all the way through. Nice job.

4.22/5  rDev +8.8%

Cloudy yellow body with a thin white head.

There are lots of spices in the nose here backed up with some fruitiness that is both yeasty and actual fruit-like in its origins.

I probably would have guessed this was some sort of wit. Spices are everywhere and rather varied in their flavors; I only really pick up coriander and cammomile. Next comes a slight berry-type flavor and a yeasty bannana flavor. Overall, I would describe the overall flavor profile of this beer as a wit mixed with some sort of tea.

Mouthfeel is thick, full, almost creamy. Slightly coating like a toned down braggot.

I liked this beer, and it is rather easy to drink. However, at ten bucks a pour it is not easy to afford.

3.95/5  rDev +1.8%

Draught @ BTAH.

Pours cloudy yellow with a slight orange tint, small white head.

Nose is very wit like - citrus, clover, yeast, bit of banana.

Taste is yeast, citrus, spicy, dry, round. Just a bit of smooth, tart fruit presence from the juniper berries, but otherwise very similar to a Wit, and a good one at that.

Light body, creamy but crisp carbonation. Very nice.

4.42/5  rDev +13.9%

Poured a hazy straw gold with thin bright white head. Good retention and some nice sticky lacing. Smells of fruits, citrus, wheat, honey, yeast, spices, and some musty attic. Tastes of oranges, melon, and pears up front then honey, wheat, yeast, banana, and clove along with some other spices like coriander and ginger. Some funky earth notes make an appearance before some lemon zest finishes off the flavor palate. Medium in body with great carbonation, very light but poppy. Smooth and crisp, very easy to drink, well balanced, and unique.

4.51/5  rDev +16.2%

Pours a fully clouded orange yellow with a thin white head. Nose is interesting. It's like a mix of a hefeweizen and a touch of fruit. Flavor is extremely smooth. Not really sure how to quantify it. It's like a hefe with it's earthiness. But there is another level of earthiness to it. Fruits, flowers, and all the nice pretty things Mother Earth has to offer. Just absolutely smooth. Feel is very slick and smooth on liquid. Carbonation is low and noticeable but doesn't interfere with the liquid feel. I have to say, this is a damn good and drinkable beer. Dogfish delivers again, but with something I could drink 4 or 5 of. Really an excellent beer.

Bottle this and put it in the right hands and you've got a great rival to wine for something to drink alongside food.

4.97/5  rDev +28.1%

Enjoyed 2 pints of this at the brewpub alongside some of the best calamari you'll find anywhere. I had zero expectations on this one, since I had never heard of it, never seen it, and knew nothing. One never knows what to expect from Sam and the boys.

Poured a cloudy yellow with an orange tinge, thin white lacing remains intact.

Aroma bright banana and lemon; sour... obviously a wheat yeast doing the work on this one.

Taste.. thick rolling mouth-feel meets perfect carbonation to form an almost neutral feel. Becomes more and more quaffable with every sip. Flavor hits with a barnyardy orange with an amazing clean finish of lemon and gentle spice. DFH says we've got india black tea in here.. and indeed the finish reminds me of a sip of clean hard water black tea. Hops barely show in the background but provide a most perfect balance. Amazing!

Drinkability will rival anything you can think of, and sitting there with their buttermilk calamari made for a near euphoric experience.

PLEASE somebody tell them to put this in a champagne bottle and let us all have some more of what might be the most well-balanced thing to ever flow from our friends at Dogfish Head!

4.72/5  rDev +21.6%

This stuff is great! Bartender poured it for me, kind of looked like a weizen at first. Smelled like a weizen, kind of tasted like one. I've never had a saison before. This one is really drinkable, wonderful sweet taste. Drink this one before it's gone, or tell dogfish head to make this the beer that makes it out of the Rehoboth Brewpub into production!

3.78/5  rDev -2.6%

I found this on at the DFH pub.

This beer came a rather foggy honey-peach color with a light collar of white.

Smells of sour, juicy oranges, watermelon and fresh tomatoes. The veggie character of this one on top of the fruit caught me off guard.

Tastes of a similar cocktail of fruit that's quite busy in my mouth. There's also a flavor that reminds me of the sweeter smells of an old decomposing log and a dryer musky yeast. To round things off, there's a buzz of coriander and a lot of other spices that make me want to call this one a wit. This makes me think of some cross between the backbone of DFH's blood orange hefeweizen, and a wit beer.

Feels quite thick and resistant with a little swarm of bubbles. This leaves a little film in my mouth. Checking the style guidelines, I guess that's the way it ought to feel.

This one was really heavy, but again, that seems to be par for the course. I couldn't help but keep thinking that this was just another permutation of the BOH.

-Here's what the DFH website has to say.

"A modern update on a 9th century Finnish proto-beer. Brewed with rye, we caramelize the wort with white hot river rocks, then ferment it with a German Weizen yeast. In addition to juniper berries foraged directly from the Finnish country-side we added a sort of tea made with corriander, caramamom, lemon grass, Indian Black Tea, and ramps leaves. The spicing is subtle and balanced and Sahtea is a highly-quaffable, truly-unique brew with a full-mouth feel."

I guess I wasn't that far off.

firstprev| 1776-1800 | 1801-1825 | 1826-1850  | next → last