Welcome to BeerAdvocate!

Looking to talk, rate or trade beer? Join today by creating your free account.

Love Belgian Beer?

Tickets + more: beeradvocate.com/belgian

Squall IPA | Dogfish Head Craft Brewery

YOUR RATING = None |
Squall IPASquall IPA

Dogfish Head Craft Brewery
Delaware, United States | website

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

An unfiltered and 100% bottle-conditioned version of 90 Minute IPA that's dry-hopped with Palisade, Amarillo, Simcoe, Cascade, CTZ, and Willamette hops. Brewed to honor the Rogue Gallery in Portland, Maine, who will also be releasing a DFH designed clothing line in the summer of '09.

Added by mday on 05-17-2009

Reviews: 788 | Ratings: 1,451
4.3/5  rDev +5.1%

GLASS: Tulip Glass
TEMP: Cellared @ approx 45 degrees
BOTTLING DATE: 04-16-09

Pours a slightly dark, burnt orange color with almost two-fingers of thick, white foam sitting on top. It's not as hazy as I expected it to be, but it does have a little bit of unfiltered haziness going on. Retention is great and the lacing is thick and sticky.

Big hoppy nose, as expected. Grassy and a little citrus-like. Some light hints of pine. A nice malt presence is detected, underneath, but not as prominent as 90 Minute.

This is a very nicely balanced brew. It starts with a nice mouthfull of caramel maltiness. That is followed by a big blast of hops, nice and bitter. Good notes of pine and white grapefruit, along with some grassy tones and a touch of citrus and floral notes. Mild dark fruit notes.
Very good.

Body is medium to full. Nicely mild level of carbonation that works very well with this one. Very smooth and lightly creamy.

I could certainly drink this one again. It seems to me, and someone that I drank it with, that this is the way 90 Minute really should taste. I mean, I like 90 Minute and all, but this is much better, for my tastes.
Thanks again Dogfish Head!

3.77/5  rDev -7.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours with a thick, offwhite head that lingers for a long time. Appearance is astoundingly clear, much more clear than I would be looking for in an unfiltered IPA. The color is slightly darker than the 90 Minute. The hops dominate in the aroma, fresh and grassy, with citrus and pine coming through strongly. There are some malt characteristics in the aroma as well, but not nearly as dominating as the 90. Mouthfeel is full, coating the palate and finishing only slightly dryer than it started. The malt sweetness comes through here, however the caramel is given a lighter hand, as well as the roast and biscut. It seem that the sweetness hallmark of Dogfish is unavoidable, however. The molasses and the raisin character I was seeing in the 90 minute isn't here however, and the hop bitterness overall is sudued.

Supposedly, the Squall IPA is an unfiltered, bottle conditioned version of their 90 Minute IPA. Overall impression? Generally I find the 90 Minute too sweet for my tastes, despite the great hop profile. The new Squall IPA, while just as sweet, has a softer feel to it, with a more balanced character. The bottle conditioning lends a new and interesting dimension to the 90 minute, which I have to say I like better than the original. If I had to choose between the two, I'd go with the Squall.

4.46/5  rDev +9%

Bottled on 4/16/09. ~4 months old, but still pretty fresh.

Pours a nice amber-red color with a thick, 1 finger head on a hefty pour, always keeping a full cap. Only a bit of haze, you can't really tell its unfiltered.

This has lost a bit of hop aroma over the time, judging by the smell of the bottle cap (which has a much fresher, dank hop aroma). It has a very nice, hoppy nose, that creates a leafy, herbal, green character mixed with some tropical fruit bubblegum. You know you're smelling some plant character.

This is not another bland, dry, bitter DIPA. It's bitter and focuses on hop flavor like it's supposed to, but has uniqueness and complexity that makes this and 90 min IPA one of the greatest beers in the world. A touch of dark fruit, a slight peach character, big, carmelly sweetness and leafy tasting hops create a real experience that are greater than the description of the malt, hops, and yeast.

Mouthfeel is silky smooth and full bodied. I wouldn't say chewy, but it sure is malty. Since I'm used to big, hoppy beers, this one has good drinkability. This is a sipper; I'd rather split the 25 oz with a friend, but taking one down myself is doable. It's so sippable that the buzz factor kicks in quick, sneaking up from behind. The last 10 ozs are sipped away at a slow pace, this is the ultimate one, done, and sleep a ton beer.

4.12/5  rDev +0.7%

Thanks to KBoudreau66 for this one.

A - Very nice copper color with thick lacing throughout the entire glass. Great carbonation.

S - Citrusy.

T - Starts malty, finishes slightly hoppy. Not a typical hop finish, but I wouldn't expect anything typical from DFH

M - Medium body mouthfeel. Taste lingers a bit, but not too much.

Very drinkable.

4.3/5  rDev +5.1%

Poured from a bomber into a st bernadus chalice.

A - golden yellow hue

S - rather hoppy smells of faint alcohol

T - fantastic smooth very nice

M - frowthy really nice

D - wow very strong with a nice touch.

I hope that all BA's have a chance to try this beer as it is very good and makes a point.

3.82/5  rDev -6.6%

Great extra bottle received from fatboyjim1 in a recent trade. I was blown away by your generosity, Jim. Many thanks!

Poured into my snifter. Pours a very dark, cloudy burnt orange. There's a bit of the yeast residue floating about, but not that much. A good 2-finger ivory head rests on top. This disappears to just a thin ring around the edge. Leaves some spotty lacing. This beer smells like hop candy, if they made it. Huge citrusy, piney, sweet floral hops all over the nose. There's a big sugary scent that makes me want to just start gulping this beer. Hold on, champ...

As I sip, I notice the mouth is crisp and very well-carbonated. Plenty of bubbly pop to this drink. This 'off-shoot' of the 90min differs in one big way. Where the 90 is a little on the sweet side, this beer brings out a bit of a spicy side. The bitterness isn't overpowering in any way, but it lets you know it's there with a nice spicy kick on the finish. Slight bready malts are noted as they help balance this out a bit.

I think I dig the 90min a little more, but this was a dang good DIPA. Recommend.

3.9/5  rDev -4.6%

An all around good beer. I am tasting allot of similarities between all the DFH's ipa's. i know this a spin off of the 90, but It would be nice for them to try and brew an ipa with a different malt-backbone. But all around very enjoyable to drink, would love to try this thing from the cask.

4.23/5  rDev +3.4%

Thanks NateDogg for this one.

S- pours with a huge 3 finger foamy off whitehead that shrinks down to a one finger head that lingers. Good sticky lacing. Slightly hazy copper coloring.

S- Gives off a sweet malty nose from across the room. Get your nose remotely close and you get the hops. A strong hop, but not a sharp hop (if that makes sense). Very balanced though, maybe even a tad heavier on the malt. Get a toffee, caramel note, whiff of hazelnut? A hint of alcohol.

T-Starts off with a strong maltiness that is well balanced with those strong hops, that still aren't sharp. Get those toffee notes again. Slight bitter etoh burn at the end.

M- I really like the fine bottle conditioned carbonation, its a fine carbonation. Mediumto heavy body feel, coats the tongue.

D- Like this one. I would reach for this over the regular 90 minute every time.

4.15/5  rDev +1.5%

Got in a trade with kmurray8621 thanks for everything Kevin!

A- Got the bottom half of this bottle. Hazy deep golden amber color to this with tints of orange. Nice 2 finger off white head. Lacing was decent and spotty on the sides of the glass.

S- I picked up a perfect balance of malts (bready and sweet) to a semi-bitter hops (piney). Can detect a large alcohol smell to this.

T- Nice bready malt taste right upfront followed by a nice slight bitter hop taste. The alcohol in this is very noticable toward the end of the sip. I also get a strange slight coffee aftertaste with this beer as well. It's not a bad thing but very faint.

M- Medium mouthfeel. The carbonation is a little weak in this but still makes for a good beer. Nice balance leaves a semi-sweet bitter hop taste on the tounge. The beer itself moves across the palate very easily.

D- This is a very drinkable beer that I enjoyed very much. I wish this wasn't a east coast release and I could get it in my area because I would buy at least one a week. I recommend this to someone who wants a new breath of fresh air from Dogfish.

Slightly hazy bright gold body that has a bit of haze and a bit of yeast to it. A big, off-white head is rocky and has some great retention along with some spotty lacing left on my glass. The lacing that does appear is very thick and sticky looking.

The nose is not especially powerful, but what is there is absolutely packed with all kinds of varities of hop aromas.

Up front comes a striking burst of hop flavor. Some bitterness and just a ton of pine and grapefruit flavors. Some nice pineapple and general fruity hop flavors are in there too. It almost tastes a bit like some kind of perfume, but in the most pleasant, hoppy way possible. The malt backbone has both biscuit and caramel qualities, and it serves to balance this beer nicely. Overall, the hop profile is stronger in Squall than in a normal 90 minute. I would say that 90 features more malt flavor.

The body has a moderate thickness, and has just a touch of a silky feel to it.

This one is pretty drinkable, a solid beer overall. It's been a while since I have had (and reviewed) the normal 90 minute, I might have to revisit that one.

4.1/5  rDev +0.2%

Thanks to jdmek9 for his never ending generosity!

A small ivory head settles as a nice cap over a solid amber. There is decent lacing on the glass. Aromas are heavy with ripe, dark fruits. There's bready malt in there but it's not overwhelming the aforementioned esters. Flavors are more fruity than I would have anticipated in this DIPA, but maybe I just don't know the style very well? The fruit definitely comes out, and still a bit yeasty in character. There's a ton of grapefruit and mandarin citrus, which settles my hop crave. A medium body and low carbonation deliver a beer that coats the palate briefly before drying. This DIPA is really easy to drink, but I don't think it tastes a whole lot like a fresh 90 minute. The alcohol hides well behind the balance and I would absolutely love to have another!

4.03/5  rDev -1.5%

Pours amber-copper with foamy, creamy head. Basically very similar to 90 minute but with an extra amount of haziness and some yeast sediment due to the bottle conditioning. Aroma is all hop. Failry prominent florals but also some fruity grapefruit. Fairly pungent. Not as strong, though, as I was expecting. Flavor is interesting when you thing of it in relation to 90 minute. The sweetness isn't as overpoweringly present. All hop but not really that strong or super-bitter. Some grapefruit and pine. Quite fresh and quite smooth. Doesn't have that biting edge or sweetness a lot of iipa's have. Mouth is quite smooth, almost a bit lighter than most iipa's of its strength. Very easy and mellow. Its not heavy or cloying, almost feels like a bit is missing though in terms of the robustness of the flavor.

4.35/5  rDev +6.4%

750ml bottle served in a snifter.

Slightly hazed copper color with a big fluffy off-white head that thinned after a while and left blotches of lacing.
The initial aroma was piney hops but as it warms the aroma becomes a little woody and earthy as well.
The taste is unbelievably smooth and well balanced with a bit of yeastiness on the finish.
Medium bodied with a smooth velvety feel making this highly drinkable.

3.73/5  rDev -8.8%

Picked up a 750 ml bottle from Julio's in Westboro, MA. It has a very generic looking black label with all white writing, and a picture of a white sailboat on the label.

Poured into a snifter. Has a nice see through copper color with one finger or so of foamy white head. There seems to be a lot of carbonation going on in the glass.

Smells nice and hoppy up front, grapefruit and slightly lemony, a whiff of alcohol phenols. This brew has that sweet caramel malt aroma that I've noticed as a trend with most Dogfish Head beers.

The taste for the most part goes right along with what you'd expect from a 90 minute which is pretty sweet and malty like caramel. It's definitely a little bit hoppier than 90 minute, and has a slightly drier aftertaste, but the difference between is not substantial.

The mouthfeel is medium bodied, pretty smooth, and carbonated.

This is a solid offering from Dogfish Head, and I wouldn't dare say that I didn't enjoy it, but I definitely felt a little bit disappointed by it. I think I over hyped it in my head to be more than it really was. For the price at $7.99 it is worth every penny to try it if you come across it.

4.13/5  rDev +1%

Got this 750mL in a trade from the generous Casey10, a nice new trader! Thanks man! Bottled on date says 4/16/09 so we'll see how well it holds up over 3 months.

A: Pours a slightly orange shade of amber with a good amount of white head that laces the glass as it settles to a centimeter thickness of froth. Despite being unfiltered it looks pretty transparent.

S: Smells like only a mild amount of hops, but what's there is piney and citrusy...the majority of what I smell is sweet malt, caramel, brown sugar, and vanilla type smells. Very surprising.

T: Tastes like it smells, the hops come out more in the flavor, which are citrusy and piney. Sweetness from the malt, but without a harsh bite, that also brings out some caramel, brown sugar and even vanilla type flavors that I wouldn't expect as I haven't seen anything about this being barrel aged. It might just be a certain combination of flavors that makes it have tastes similar to vanilla. Not much alcohol, if any, in the flavor.

M: Nicely full bodied and palate coating...thin enough to be sessionable if you didn't know the ABV.

D: Definitely super drinkable as the flavor is solid and goes down easy, not much of a hint of alcohol flavor.

Overall, I think this is a solid offering from DFH. If this were on shelves I would put it in my regular drinking rotation. I would like to: 1) drink this side by side with a normal 90 minute to compare and 2) see what this is like fresh. I 'd love to see if the hops are more intense in the fresh version, although 90 min to be is more about balance anyway so maybe it wouldn't make much difference.

4.18/5  rDev +2.2%

Two month old bottle poured into a pint glass, got this while in NY.

A- Pretty much looks like 90 minute IPA with more sediment and a longer lasting head. The liquid is a deep hazy orange/golden color. The 1 inch white head was semi thick and left pretty good lace.

S- Smells like 90 minute although this is not as sweet as the unfiltered version. The sweetness is still there but is masked better by the hops which give off citrus and pine. A solid malt backing with some alcohol seeping through.

T- Better than I expected. I thought this would be very similar to 90 which it is but not as sweet. The malts give off bread and caramel, the hops give off orange and other citrus plus pine. Underneath is some grain and alcohol.

M- Not as sweet but this is still syrupy. I would say a bit above medium bodied with a nice amount of carb going for it. The addition of more hops give this a slightly more bitter feel. Got more malty and sweet with warming.

D- Loved it although it still is a bit sweet which Im not fond of in my IPA's. This unfiltered version was easy as hell to drink though. I finished my glass in no time, although I did have a trying day.

3.08/5  rDev -24.7%

Bottled on 4/16/09 according to date printed on the bottle. My experience with this one deteriortated as it went along:

The appearance was great. Nice fluffy white head atop a coppery orange.

The aroma was pretty good. Lots of hops, pine.

The taste was OK. You'd think that with 6 different types of hops, you'd taste more of them. This came out too malty, and the hops seems a bit muted; I got less hop bitter and more honey sticky.

The mouthfeel and drinkability were not great. It's pretty boozy. I would advise making it your only beer of the hight if you're drinking the whole bottle alone. it's definitely an interesting take, but i've had better double IPAs.

4.4/5  rDev +7.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Picked up a 750ml bottle at Total wine in claymont, de. I was surprised to see how many cases of this they had on the shelves.

Appearnace: Very nice looking beer. Deep golden color with a huge pillowy head.
Smell: Like a hop bomb for sure. Nice citrus to start out and got a little more piney as it warmed up.Very nice indeed.
Taste/Mouthfeel: Slight bit of toffee, orange, grapefruity flavor. Bit syrupy, atleast more than the normal 90 min. Very enjoyable and went down easy.
Drinkability: I did not notice the 9% abv while drinking it but you certainly feel it after wards. Got a real nice buzz from the bottle. I only gave it a 4 on this b/c more than one 750ml and you will probably be stumbling for sure.

Overall this was the best DFH beer I have to date. And I have to be honest, I dont normally buy much DFH on a normal basis but I was really impressed by this brew. I plan on going back to total wine this weekend to grab a few more bottles to enjoy and/or trade on here. Well done and recommended for sure.

4.23/5  rDev +3.4%

Thanks to rpstevens for this nice extra.

750ml capped brown wine bottle poured into a tripel karmeliet tulip.

A: Pours a fire-y tangerine. Huge 3+ finger off white head forms and holds nicely. Tons of sticky lacing.

S: Big sticky, resinous hops. Citrus and juicy fruits full of oily hop resin with some sticky, sappy pine in the back. Thick, chewy malts come to balance with syrupy sweetness, maybe a touch too rich. The DFH signature yeast still manages to poke through all of that.

T/M: Nice bitterness level with the first rush of the high octane hops. Very raw and more enjoyable than I thought. Very juicy with subdued citrus but beefier piny resin. The sweet malts come in, surprisingly not too syrupy, but do manage to hinder the short lived hop riot. Body is medium to medium full with good carbonation. Doesn't finish overly dry but retains just enough from the hops for some lingering bitterness and resin. Still not a big fan of their yeast, though.

D: Surprisingly drinkable. The 9% is barely noticeable until the end of the bottle. I bought I'd had enough 90min on tap to be surprised by this but I've been proven wrong.

3.87/5  rDev -5.4%

I've been looking forward to this one.

Poured a surprisingly reddish amber with a 1/2 finger head.

Smells spicy, but not as hoppy as others have claimed.

Taste is initially floral hops with some citrus but it goes down sweet, caramely. Almost reminds me of a dubbel for whatever reason. I can definetely tast the alcohol presence in this one.

I like it, but the hype didn't quite live up.

4.23/5  rDev +3.4%

pours a beautiful copper color with a nice thick just shy off white head.
the aroma is huge in citrusy hops. grapefruit rind, and sweet orange dominate with some softer, but also rich, caramel and toffee aromas. peppery and piney as well.
the taste smacks you with the same sort of piney resinous orangey/tangerine tinged hop flavor. fairly balanced with some nice light caramel sweetness. touches of toffee come into play now and again. peppery here also, with a bit of powdery asprin. with warmth some honey and nuttiness show up. it's rich and fujll of character, but no one aspect ever gets out of hand.
the mouthfeel is full bodied with soft mild carbonation. slick on the tongue.
it's got a good drinkability despite it size (flavor not physical). it's got a ton of flavor, and a boat load of hops, but also some pretty nice balance. well worth the price of admission.

3.06/5  rDev -25.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

I usually just lurk here, but I had to chime in with a dissenting opinion on this one. I was excited to pick up this Dogfish Head that I have never tried before at Union Square Whole Foods. Unfortunately, it didn't live up to my expectations. Poured in a wine glass - appearance nice amber with one finger head. Smell, hoppy but a little on the faint side. Taste - wow, I wasn't expecting that. The expected hops instead quickly gives way to a malty sweetness that I have to say I did not find pleasant. I am by no means the biggest hophead, but if you are expecting something like the other Dogfish IPAs from this beer, you might be disappointed by the sweetness. I suppose the mouthfeel is alright, but I find it hard to focus on given the malt overload, which hurts the drinkabillity - I kept wishing I had only bought a 12 ounce instead of a 750.

4.77/5  rDev +16.6%

Appearance- Pours the color of Grade A Clover Honey. The head size is very much dependent upon the strength of the pour. A 5-finger head would be no problem... yet a more reasonable 2-finger head is also no problem. Brussels lace clings to the glass like spider webs.

Smell- Extremely pungent in the best way possible. Most notably citrus (grapefruit and orange) notes, but there are a host of other hop-centric aromas going on. Pine makes an impression. Very floral. Green grapes, ethyl acetate (pear), faint lemon. Oh, and there are some malty aromas too. Caramel, toffee. I'd swear that this is barrel aged, because it seems to have oak and vanilla- like aromas too.

Taste- Like a lot of great beers this gets better as it warms, and the flavors really start popping out. Make no mistake, this is a big beer with a complex personality. I hate to be redundant but much of what is found in the smell is found in the taste as well. What becomes more evident upon tasting it versus smelling it however, is how masterfully this beer is balanced. But beyond balance, the subtlety of hop-derived fruit flavors, and the malt derived sweet flavors such as caramel and toffee blend perfectly together with the hard to pinpoint oak and vanilla-like flavors. I honestly can't think of anything that would make this taste better, so for that this beer gets a rare 5.

Mouthfeel- Incredibly smooth and creamy. Full-bodied as well, but that doesn't retract at all from the drinkability.

Drinkability- This is easily the best new IPA that I've had the pleasure of trying in 2009. Quite possibily my favorite new beer for this year thus far. If you haven't had this, you should seek this out. Both hopheads, and malt lovers alike will rejoice.

4.72/5  rDev +15.4%

750ml bottle obtained at McKinnon's in Salem, NH. Pours a red-amber crystal-clear body with a good inch or so of off-white head. Grassy citrussy grapefruit with a good bit of mint and just enough caramel, toffee, and a hint of chocolate malt to balance. Hops definitely dominate toward the beginning, with citrus (grapefruit and lemon), pith, grass, and mint, and a bit of sweet caramel, toffee, chocolate, and coffee, but just enough to balance the beer - definitely very hop-forward, more so than 90-minute IPA. On the fuller side of medium-bodied with moderate to low carbonation, no doubt due to the bottle conditioning. The flavors and moderate mouthfeel make this a much easier drinker than expected. Absolutely stellar in every regard, I fully intend on picking up more should I come across it!

4.38/5  rDev +7.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A - Pours golden orange with a firm head that lasts.

S - Hops, pine and lots of grapefruit. The grapefruit is the overwhelming smell highlighting a nice summer flavor.

T- Hops and the citrus, but relatively mild overall. Good balance.

M- Light carbonation, good body, but not heavy.

D- I like the 90 minute IPA from DFH, but this is far superior. Easy to finish a bottle with a friend, and the IBV makes it just that much better!

Too bad it is a one-off. They should make this always. Pretty darn good.

Squall IPA from Dogfish Head Craft Brewery