Namaste | Dogfish Head Craft Brewery

Dogfish Head Craft Brewery
Delaware, United States

Style: Witbier

A witbier bursting with good karma. Made with dried organic orange slices, fresh-cut lemongrass and a bit of coriander, this Belgian-style white beer is a great thirst quencher.

Added by jgasparine on 10-17-2009

Reviews: 601 | Ratings: 3,098
4.12/5  rDev +7%

A cellar temperature bottle poured into my old logo Allagash pint glass. The liquid is ever so slightly translucent and golden colored. A decent amount of carbonation is visible within, all of it rising in steady streams. The head is pure white foam. The beer foamed up a lot when I poured, but it has settled down a bit, but is still a few fingers thick. Some patchy lacing is left behind.

Plenty of lemon and coriander greet my nose when I inhale. Some orange citrus is in there as well, but it isn't as prominent as the lemon. A little bit of powdered sugar sweetness and some musty Belgian style yeast round out the aroma.

This is a crisp beer with some good malts, but also a high quality, reserved hop profile. Lemon citrus and grassy notes are prevalent (probably all that lemongrass the label says in the beer). There is very little sweetness. A dry finish with lemon and orange peel flavors that linger.

The body of this beer is fuller than I expected, but it also has a watery quality as I swallow. Tiny bubbles can be easily felt. There is a good sized coat, but it is watery and can be swallowed quickly. There isn't any stickiness.

This is a good wit that I am enjoying, but it doesn't blow me away the way that Allagash White does; and since that is a local beer here, I'll go for a bottle of that next time I am craving this style. That isn't to say you shouldn't give this beer a shot, it is a very well made beverage that is worth a taste.

3.95/5  rDev +2.6%

750ml bottle into Delirium tremens snifter. Big thanks to HosP for this one!

A: Pours a hazy glowing golden-lemon with a fluffy bright white head that slowly faded into almost nothing leaving a few soapy spots of lacing down the glass.
S: I get notes of cracked wheat, Belgian spice, pepper, lemon, coriander and a touch of orange.
T: Clean flavors of wheat, yeast, citrus and spice with the coriander coming through in the finish and the lemongrass in the aftertaste. There is a hint of bubblegum as well. Flavors are easy and clean.
M: Bubbly carbonation with a spritzy mouthfeel over the medium body. Refreshing.
O: I liked it and am glad I got to try it. Very refreshing and easy to drink. Thanks again Mark for hooking it up!

On-tap at the Brick Store.

Pours a hazy lemon-yellow color with a 1.5-finger white head. The head recedes into a thin layer on top leaving decent lacing.

Smells of light malts with bright light citrus flavors and moderate amounts of spices - coriander with hints of deeper and indistinct spices. Also present are light amounts of floral and slightly herbal hops.

Tastes similar to how it smells. Smooth light malt flavors with small amounts of white pepper kick things off and are joined quickly heavier spices, including coriander as in the aroma. Midway through the sip light citrus flavors take over, carrying through to a crisp ending.

Mouthfeel is good. It's got a nice thickness with smooth carbonation.

Drinkability is also good. I finished my glass quickly and could have another.

Overall I was a fan of this beer however it's not quite clean enough to take a place in the upper tier. Still, an easy-drinking beer that will be great for warmer months.

3.88/5  rDev +0.8%

A - This beer pours a clear pale straw color. it has a big fluffy 4-finger white head. The head has good retention and leaves scattered lacing on the glass. There are a tone of rising carbonation bubbles visible here.

S - It smells of lemon, coriander, and orange zest. It is also peppery and bready.

T - It tastes of orange and coriander up front. There are nice bready malts and lemon in the middle. There are notes of coriander, pepper, honey, yeast, and some wheat. Clean finish with come lingering citrus and pepper notes.

M - Medium body and high crisp carbonation. It goes down easy, and I find it to be very refreshing. It is a bit dry and citrusy. Good mouthfeel for the style.

D - This has good drinkability. It goes down easy and I really like the flavor. It is refreshing, and I could definitely drink a few of these in a sitting. Overall, I think this is a good beer, and I'd try it again.

4.03/5  rDev +4.7%

Smells like lemons. What a refreshing delight, what with its super bubbly personality. Giant cumulus head magically parts at the command of my gob. High quench factor with little bitter in this spicy concoction. What a dry ride this one was. Get it. My gob commands it.

3.85/5  rDev 0%

750ml shared with my buddy, poured into stemless wine glass. Opaque straw yellow, very yellow, white three finger head that leaves some belgian lacing around the glass. The aroma is heavy on the spices, with coriander and lemongrass dominating and orange peal playing second fiddle. Orange, coriander and citrus on the front of the palate and than all lemongrass to the finish. The lemongrass is a huge flavor, it does however play well with the rest of the beer. Nice wheaty flavor pairs well with the spices and some fruity yeast twang can be found too. Well bodied for a smaller ale. Overall Dogfish succeeded on this one, albeit with a bit too much lemongrass flavor.

3.82/5  rDev -0.8%

Poured into a white wine glass, Namaste pours a light golden yellow with a frothy white head.

I get candied lemon and spice in the nose. It gives a very pleasant smell with lots of light nuances of citrus and spices.

The taste is very refreshing with lemon and coriander but falls flat as you swallow. It gets watery as it goes past the tongue and doesn't have much of a finish. I expect more flavor from a Dogfish beer.

The mouthfeel is thin and bubbly, as it coats the tongue with little bubbles.

Overall Im glad I tired it but unfortunately the Hennepin I just cooked with has noticeably more flavor than this.

4.15/5  rDev +7.8%

Bottle poured into a snifter. This is a fizzy cloudy pale yellow, with a very foamy inch of head. Smell is sour and dominated by lemon with a strong mix of cloves and coriander spiciness. Taste is extremely spicy.. again heavy on the cloves and coriander with some peppercorn-ish flavors as well. Very light bodied and easy to drink. Lots of orange and lemon flavors as well. Mouthfeel is foamy and creamy.

3.77/5  rDev -2.1%

Pours light, slightly hazy lemon gold with a thin white head with good retention.

Smells of lemon zest and coriander.

Tastes light and lemony with some coriander and other spiced notes.

Thinner mouth with slight tingle of carbonation throughout.

Good tasty wit with lots of good characteristics and some uniqueness in the flavor profile. Would have again. Very refreshing.

4.15/5  rDev +7.8%

750 ml bottle, 5% abv. Bottled in 2011. Pours cloudy, pale gold color. Pillow-like white fluffy head. Very nice head retention and lace.

Cereal grain malt, with a zesty citrusy edge. Big herbal and earthy notes blend in, with hints of spice.

Pale malt, a big grainy and tart. A bit of sweetness. Herbal notes. Some restrained spices. Very well balanced.

Light body with refreshing carbonation. Very easy to drink. Not the most exciting style, but simple and well done.

4.85/5  rDev +26%

I must preface my review by saying that Witbier is not my favorite style as I normally don't really care for spiced beers. That said, I have picked up a few over the last couple weeks and it has been a nice change. I was surprised that this version had such high reviews, but I haven't been disappointed with DFH beers. Let's give this one a try:

Appearance: Pours a slightly cloudy yellow straw color with a solid 2" head of creamy white bubbles that is kept up by tons of bubbles rising. The head was still well over an inch a couple minutes after the pour. There is some solid lacing left on the glass after drinking, so overall this is a very well presented Wit.

Aroma: The aroma is really clean, fresh, and spicy. I get lots of citrus with lemon juice and rind in particular and the coriander is obvious. As the beer is settling, the orange is coming out more. Overall the aroma is really full and inviting, so far so good.

Taste: Wow! The flavor in this beer is really nice overall. It has the mouthfeel of a Belgian Blonde, but a lot lighter on the palate. The citrusy lemon and orange are pretty big players in the flavor along with the sweet biscuity malt. The spice additions are very well done in this beer and they are adding complexity while not becoming a dominant force in the flavor. The body is light to medium with high carbonation which this style requires. The finish is owned by the malt and yeast with some of the spice and citrus left on the palate to linger for quite some time after the sip. The wheat leaves a defined creamy edge on the back of the palate really early in the sip, and it sticks there the whole time and has a bit of a grainy edge to it.

Opinion: I think that I can now say that I have a favorite spiced beer. I had liked some of the Christmas Ales, and I don't know if the Brasserie De Rocs beers count as spiced, but this is a world class Witbier, no doubt. Sam did this beer just the way it should have been done, and I must say that I am impressed. I paid around $9 for this bottle, so unfortunately isn't cheap...but I would definitely recommend that you give this one a shot.

4.13/5  rDev +7.3%

750ml bottle - $7.99 at Olde Crabapple Bottle Shoppe in Alpharetta, Georgia.

Bottled in 2011.

Appearance: Pours a cloudy, light gold body with a white, mousse-like head. Thin lace formations at every sip level, looking a bit like fine cirrus clouds.

Smell: Pale and wheat malt smelling of loaf bread soaked in a bit of cream and rounded by fragrant notes of citrus oils, herbaceous lemongrass, and spicy, vaguely nutty coriander.

Taste: Light malted barley, somewhat hay-like, along with tangy, bready wheat malt and an icing sugar sweetness. Tastes of spicy coriander and citrusy, juicy bittersweet orange are quick to follow. A little sharpness from the lemongrass, though, once you really get into it, all the flavors come together quite nicely. Straw sporadic drops of heavy cream. A low level of hop bitterness at best. A little last sip of spice and orange juice for the finish. A peppery component lingers on the tongue in the aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied. Medium-high carbonation provides some effervescence, though there's some soft creaminess to the mouthfeel.

Overall: Rather refreshing and thirst quenching, a fine beer suitable for drinking in the drearily warmer months ahead of us.

4.02/5  rDev +4.4%

Bottled in 2011 printed on the bottle. Enjoyed on 03/22/11.

A - Pale straw yellow color with a one finger white head. Leaves pretty good lacing. A couple floaties are visible. Pretty cloudy.

S - Aroma is very spicy and lemony. Some orange peel is evident as well. A spicy hoppiness and a light, toasty malt character is there too.

T - Very spicy and a light malt sweetness up front with some fruity Belgian yeast. Pretty heavy on the lemon flavor. Finish nice and crisp with some biscuity malts and a good peppery spiciness. Good beer.

M - Mouthfeel is just average for the style. It may be just a touch overcarbonated.

O - Overall, this is another good one from Dogfish. I quite enjoyed it, and it would really hit the spot on a hot Alabama day in July.

3.02/5  rDev -21.6%

A: Pale, golden, with a slight opacity. Nicely carbonated - almost perfect. Good head retention in my Witbier glass.

S: You can easily smell the spicy notes, coriander, and lemon - A reviving scent.

T: Lemon and spicy/peppery at the start, but the lemon dominates the aftertaste.

M: Dry finish and decent carbonation. The mouthfeel is very light and would be refreshing if not for the dominant lemons.

D: This *should* be refreshing but the lemon notes just overpower. Sadly, it reminds me too much of furniture polish right now.

Note: I've been a HUGE fan of DFH since 2000 when I lived in DE - back in the "old" brewery where 120 min was offered in bottles of this size. They make supurb beers!

This is just one beer that doesn't quite suit my tastes right now. I would certainly recommend a bottle to try, though. I think I'll give this one another go after a round of golf in hot/humid July afternoon.

4.25/5  rDev +10.4%

(From notes made over spring break)

Had this one on tap at Brick Store Pub in Decatur, GA. Served in an accompanying DFH Signature Glass.

A--Poured a bright glowing color with a light, thin white head that dissipated rather quickly.

S--Sweet lemongrass, orange peel, corriander, lemons, pretty much exactly what I want a witbier to smell like.

T--Follows the nose, but not as well as I thought it would. The beer has a classic witbier flavor. The sweetness of the orange peel comes through. The back of the tongue has a slight bitterness that was a little unpleasant, but not something I would let deter me.

M--Light, crisp, and refreshing. This beer felt really good on the tongue.

O--This is a great offering from Sam and the guys at Dogfish. I could imagine sitting out on the beach this summer drinking these all day. One of the best witbiers out there.

4.7/5  rDev +22.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Note to the Dogfish Marketing folks... Been drinking craft brew for at least 5 years now and never realized that Namaste was a Witbier. One of my favorite styles by one of my favorite breweries. A match made in heaven??

A - Pours a nice cloudy white yellow. Starts out with a really good head. Leaves behind a nice lacing and trace amounts of spice on the glass.

S - Great scent. Lemongrass, Coriander, spices, it's all here. Can the tasted live up to the scent?

T - Great beer. One of the better that I've had in quite some time. Spices are not overpowering, they have just the right balance on this beer. A little bit of sweetness from the orange peel. I haven't enjoyed a good Wit like this one in quite some time.

D - On the border of being a sessionable beer. I could drink this one all night long. I'll be seeking out more of this on my next visit to the beer store.

M - Perfect body, perfect carb. I can't say anything wrong about this beer. Only wished I had found it earlier.

Wish I would have known about this one a few years ago. Really enjoyed this one and I'm looking forward to more.

3.95/5  rDev +2.6%

Poured into my DFH signature glass. Bright cloudy yellow with some particulates floating around in there.Fizzy but thick white heading that stays around for a bit.Decent lacing throughout.

Mostly getting lemongrass in the nose at first,followed with a quick hit of corriander,and a bigger orange aroma fills the nostrils.Subtle spicey hops thrown in for good measure.

Taste is all the same. Very heavy taste and linger of lemongrass. With the other aspects of orange peels,corriander and earthiness make a quick push through. Amazing how much lemongrass is in this beer by far the heaviest I have ever had in any beer and it is a score.

Mouth is tremendous,very alive with carbonation and a seltzer like finish that sticks around for a while.Nice medium body and great balance.

Another score from DFH. A perfect spring beverage for everyone...well over 21.

4.45/5  rDev +15.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Served on-tap at MiKro Beer Bar in Hamden, Conn.

A: Cloudy, pale, golden yellow with a thin, creamy head of white foam. Left very nice lacing and carbonation was barely visible amongst the clouded haze.

S: Lemongrass, white pepper, coriander, orange peel and flowers. A very light, pleasing citrus and spice aroma.

T: Light, fruity and floral malt and citrus notes brush the palate at first, imparting hints of toasted bread, tangerine and lemon pepper. Slightly milky and lactic sweetness blends with tart and spicy flavors to build to a mildly bitter and acidic, light, peppery finish.

M: Light-medium bodied mouthfeel with some chewy proteins, yeast and lactic enzymes, but slightly tart and acidic on the palate.

D: A very nicely crafted and highly drinkable witbier from DFH; perfect for the impending warmth of early spring. I'd love to pair it with a lemon-broiled monkfish or light, nutty cheese.

4.42/5  rDev +14.8%

Poured from a 750ml bottle.

A - Cloudy straw in color, very frothy white head that dissipated quickly leaving very slight lacing on the sides.

S - Lots going on here, get lemon, orange, almost a bubble gum like scent

T - The lemon seems to dominate over the orange and coriander. Very well balanced and refreshing beer, this will be a good one for hot summer days.

M - Mild with a medium carbonation

D - A good expression of a Witbier, very refreshing.

2.34/5  rDev -39.2%

Props to the really cool artwork on the bottle.

A- Pale hazy yellow colored body, nice sized cushy head with some nice lacing.

S- Kinda like a watery Witbier, I keep getting this empty airy watery smell besides for the orange yeast and wheat smell.

T- Again tastes like diluted Witbier, I just cant seem to shake this from the brew no matter how many sips I take.

M- Lots of carbonation, watery.

O- A real disappointment from what I'm used to with this brewery. I would say this is the first time that Dogfish really totally flopped for me, I drain poured the last 10 ounces. Unless I've had a bad bottle which I dont think thats the case I would say to avoid this brew and try the many other fine Witbiers on the market.

4.33/5  rDev +12.5%

A: hazy straw/blond, one finger head settles to a light dusting of froth leaving behind very nice lacing.

S: smells Belgian, refreshing, little bit of bubble gum, citrus, especially orange,

T: you can actually taste the coriander, orange and lemon/lime zest, tastes a lot like Sprite (sounds weird but it's actually quite good), peppery, little bit of a fresh hoppy background that imparts a slight bitterness.

M: smooth and well carbonated, mild but nonetheless refreshing.

D: I wanted to hate on this, mainly because I'm tired of the hype surrounding DFH, but I have to admit I found it very fitting on this warm Spring day. It's very well balanced and you can tell care was taken to do this one right, nothing fancy, none of the headline-making, publicity whoring DFH has become known for, just a well conceived and executed beer.

4.17/5  rDev +8.3%

"To be bowed by grief is folly;
Naught is gained by melancholy;
Better than the pain of thinking,
Is to steep the sense in drinking."

Beautifully blurry lemon peel with drifting clouds of fine yeast and an attractive crown of sheep's wool white. The head lasts long enough and isn't shy about leaving lace.

What a wonderfully fragrant blast of lemongrass greets the nose! Most finely crafted witbiers are a pleasure to sniff, but that extra ingredient puts this one over the top. Here's hoping the flavor follows suit.

After several ounces of Namaste, it's becoming increasingly obvious that lemongrass is underutilized in craft beer. The best part is that it doesn't overwhelme the orange zest fruitiness and the coriander spiciness that are the hallmarks of the style. If you're in search of the perfect picnic beer, search no further.

Pale and/or pilsner malt is not abundant, nor does it need to be. This offering is all about the top notes mentioned above. Lightly sweet, lightly bitter and lightly tart are balanced on a razor's edge. Drinkability, needless to say, is through the roof.

The mouthfeel tries to achieve a meager hint of creaminess as mid-bottle approaches... and just does succeed. Sparkly bubbles early become slightly less sparkly bubbles late. Better than lackluster carbonation, that's for sure.

Namaste is a common spoken greeting in India that means, literally, "I bow to you". All of us need to bow to Dogfish Head Craft Brewery for creating one of the most unique and delicious witbiers in America. Six-packs please. Bottom line: lovely lemongrassy libation.

Bottle from the March 2011 release

A-Partly cloudy, yellow-orange. Highly carbonated, with lots of head. Some lacing is left behind.

S-Lemons, wheat, yeast. Bread notes as well.

T-Rather sweet. A solid lemon flavor. Orange flavors. A citrus taste I assume is the coriander. Not much bitterness (20IBUs according to DFH's website)

M-Very light, and highly carbonated.

D-A light easy drinker. Only 5% abv. One of the better examples at incorporating a good lemon flavor.

3.64/5  rDev -5.5%

A: a hazy pale gold. some of the haze is actually caused by the sea of carbonation bubbles. head is pretty dense, but i expected a little better retention.

S: spicy coriander. the hops and coriander actually work well together, playing off each other as fruity and bitter. definitely getting some lemon juice in there as well to add a bit of tartness.

T: lemon and pepper. a hint of sour behind the coriander. that hint hangs on through the finish, which is otherwise dry. the fruits are relatively complex and refreshing.

M: light body on medium carbonation. just wish the body was a little fuller/creamier and the carbonation was just a hair harder.

D: overall, refreshing, but almost too easy to drink. like i said above, if there was more of a bread character/richness i think it would be much more enjoyable.

3.92/5  rDev +1.8%

750ml poured into a DFH Pint Glass. Part of a lovely DFH tasting with 5 friends.

A - Pours a cloudy pale yellow with a 2-inch fluffy white head. Very nice retention, leaves some soapy lacing.
S - Aromas of wheat, Belgium "bubblegum" yeast, and lemon. Very crisp and citrus-y.
T - Again, crisp and lemon-y, the lemongrass really shines here, along with some wheat, banana, and bubblegum. Really nice.
M - Medium-thin bodied with moderate carbonation.
D - Great drinkability, excellent spring/summer beer!

Namaste from Dogfish Head Craft Brewery