1. Don't miss FUNK Boston: A Wild & Sour Beer Fest on June 14 & 15!

Miles Davis' Bitches Brew | Dogfish Head Craft Brewery

Dogfish Head Craft Brewery
Delaware, United States
dogfish.com

Style: American Imperial Stout

In honor of the 40th anniversary of the original release of Bitches Brew, Miles Davis' 1970 paradigm-shifting landmark fusion breakthrough, we've created our own Bitches Brew -- a bold, dark beer that's a fusion of three threads of imperial stout and one thread of honey beer with gesho root. It's a gustatory analog to Miles' masterpiece.

Ratings: 3,813 |  Reviews: 944
Reviews by Krakpoff:

4.34/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Sampled from a snifter ... very dark pour, a deep, dark brown. Roasty aroma. This has a few characteristics that I would not typically expect to find in a stout or imperial - a somewhat wine-like character, noticeable carbonation, and a thinner body being among them. Along with the malt, wood, and prune/plum/raisin/currant/cocoa overtones, I find the honey to also be present to a lesser degree, but that comes across in an almost mead-like way (although not necessarily sweet), probably due to the somewhat vinous character of the brew. As is often the case with beer and food, I find myself this time suggesting a music pairing. Should you have access to the album of the same name, cue up the track “Spanish Key” for your first sampling. At seventeen minutes or so, this will allow ample time to sip and listen - let the beer warm - listen and sip. And enjoy. It’s a complex brew and a challenging treat to the taste buds, much like what Mr. Davis himself had so graciously gifted to our ears in his time.

4.95/5  rDev +18.4%

This brew is one of my favorites...its got a great coffee chocolate taste that always draws me to stouts in the first place.
It's got that mild bitterness that can't be beat.
This is one of the craft brews that is slowly turning my fiance to be more of a craft beer drinker instead of those "ultra" light beers that taste more like beer flavored seltzer water.

4.63/5  rDev +10.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Split a 25oz bottle with another dinner guest at a dinner party. Beef bourguignon was on the menu and of all of the beers served, bitches brew was the best pairing. It is truly a unique beer and a bit of a departure from other beers I've had from dogfish head. It has become a favorite, and I picked up another one to have at a later date.

4.27/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Poured from a 750 ml bottle into a snifter.

A - Color is deepest mahogany brown, almost black. It is totally opaque. The head is a rich brown color, made of minute bubbles. It is creamy, thick and long-lasting, as are the sheets of lacing on the glass.

S - All the aromas common to an imperial stout are here: coffee, roasted barley, mocha, Ovaltine chocolate milk mix. I also get hints of oak and smoke and just a whiff of rummy alcohol. I don't detect anything reminiscent of the honey beer described as being blended in with the stout.

T - The flavors follow the aromas. Mocha, espresso, chocolate milk and a slight burnt note are prevalent. There is a moderate hops bitterness and some light grassy hops flavors. No yeast notes. Light rum-like alcohol. The flavors do seem lighter and less densely packed than you might expect from an Imperial Stout of this strength.

M - Thick body. Smooth, silky mouthfeel that reminds me of an oatmeal stout. Low carbonation. Moderate hops bitterness that combines with a slightly acrid burnt note to seem more bitter.Low alcohol presence.

O - Make no mistake, this is a big, strong, intense Imperial Stout. But it does seem as though the lighter beer that's blended with it lightens the body and opens up the flavors a bit. A very nice beer.

3.93/5  rDev -6%

A rich RIS on the sweet side. Pours a deep brown body that looks very thick. It is a thick chocolate malted milk consistency, with a retained bubbly head. Milky roasted aroma. Very drinkable and chocolately, with some wierd tastes in addition to the anise.Aged more than a year.

4.5/5  rDev +7.7%

Highly recommended for its flavor, effervescence and finesse.

Opened a 3 year old bottle, had never gotten around to try it. I inhale 15% ABV barrel aged beers far to easily. Yet, this grizzled palate immediately took notice at the first sip

This cracked with a pop and hit the palate with a background of persistent fizz, cocoa , char lightly , honey and delicious complexity . Best gesho beer I've ever had (ha! Only gesho beer). The mouthfeel equals beers of much higher ABV without the cloying sweetness

This is really very good. I'm sure it was helped by 3 years in my uber secret, climate controlled, subsurface vault. This was opened only after shuttering all the windows and dismissing the hired staff.

4.3/5  rDev +2.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

From notes 10/15/12: Pours inky brown-black producing a single finger of frothy, mocha,rapidly receding head that leaves no lacing. Aroma is roasted malt, dark chocolate, molasses, honey, dark fruits, earth and leather with hints of coffee and smoke. Taste is a more robust and sweeter version of the nose: dark roasted malt, chocolate, molasses, honey dark fruits and a hint of vanilla through mid-sip where the earth and leather come in. The finish is a peppery bitter roast (with a cinnamon like mouthfeel), coffee and alcohol. The aftertaste is a roasted bitterness. There is a bitterness here that is different from that derived from hops, maybe it is the gesho(?). Mouthfeel is full bodied with low but adequate carbonation, sticky-thick yet creamy and velvet smooth except for the cinnamon prickle in the dry finish. The dry and bitter roast of the finish become more intense as the brew warms.

4.1/5  rDev -1.9%

Bottle from 8/14 poured into a tulip glass. Pours dark, dark brown with rich mocha head. Inviting look with some nice lacing. Smell is smoke, chocolate, malt, honey, touch of coffee and wood. Taste opens with smoke, char, coffee, and chocolate, but goes to malt, honey and a slightly bitter finish, which I assume is that gesho doin' its thing. The end is nice, because it doesn't feel overly sweet. Mouth is medium to heavy, a bit lighter than I anticipated, but certainly not thin. Probably easier to drink than it should be.

I think a year in the cellar did this right, as I had a more "fresh" bottle and want to say that I like this better (or is that me justifying my cellar?). Anyways, I'd grab another to stash away for a bit.

4.5/5  rDev +7.7%

Aged 2 years.. MUCH better than fresh! Not as much of a boozy burn and tastes sweeter with age.

4.36/5  rDev +4.3%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.5

04/12/2016
Large Bottle to Goblet.

LOOK: Beautiful beer. Jet Black color, no light coming through. HUGE Creamy tan head. Fades to a cappuccino-like appearance.

AROMA: Roasted barley, coffee, cardamom, nutmeg? or maybe pepper. Very strong smells from the start even though this was poured at refrigerator temperature.

TASTE: Coffee, for sure. A little bit of milk sugars and/or honey. Finish has more coffee and hints of blackberry.

FEEL: Carbonation is strong, but does not get to fizzy because the beer is thick. There is a certain lightness to it as well and goes down easy.

OVERALL: I've had this (empty) bottle in my collection for about 5 years as someone had given it to me, but I'd never tried the beer. Not sure why I didn't think it was a stout until I recently read the description and couldn't figure out why I never tried this. Anyway, the mystery is over. It is a very good beer. By the way, I've added the album to my Spotify to maybe get into appreciating jazz a little more. It's amazing all the different things that beer can lead us to experience.

4.08/5  rDev -2.4%

Tar black with a large, foamy dark tan head that slowly settles like punched down bread dough.

Smell is savory roasted malt, molasses, salted chocolate, wafer, coffee, honey, and dark bread. As it warms I get hints of vanilla or banana skin.

Taste is salted chocolate, molasses, roasted nuts, pumpernickel and a little scratchy, cedary ash.

Body is medium but velvety slick. Tangy, and almost sharp, with a semi-dry, powdery finish.

Hey, it doesn't hurt that this beer is actually great to drink with the actual inspiration playing in the background. 2015 bottle.

4.25/5  rDev +1.7%

4.23/5  rDev +1.2%

Beer poured from the bottle a dark brownish black with a slight reddish hue, very soft dark brown/tan head lingered for just a bit before receding into tan lacing. Smell was hard to pin down, roast and coffee with an odd spiciness and sweetness. Taste was similar to the nose, roast and chocolate up front with an odd spicy smooth finish atypical of stouts ESP ris. Mouthfeel was smooth and silky with just the right carbonation. Overall a very solid beer one I look forward to again!

3.98/5  rDev -4.8%

From 750ml bottle into a snifter

A: Like molasses - thick, rich velvety brown. It coated the glass like a dark resin. A one finger thick, cocoa colored head that dissipated quite quickly.

S: Black and robust coffee, with hints of slightly burnt chocolate cookies fresh out of the oven.

T: Honey is immediate, and lasts on the palate for some time. Traces of 60% cacao nibs. I also noticed a slight amount of pecan pie.

M: More carbonation that I was expecting, but still fairly rich and creamy considering. A rustic feel with medium to full body.

O: Definitely a slow sipper. I enjoyed this one all night, and it really opened up as it warmed to room temperature. It really stuck around on my palate for quite some time.

A really nice brew and worth seeking out. Being a big Miles fan, I had to try this, and I'm glad I did. I look forward to returning to it again.

4.5/5  rDev +7.7%

Poured from 750 mL into chalice.

A - Poured a silky black with a light brown chocolatey head. Looks milky and creamy. Looks really great!

S - Roasted malts. Vanilla, milk, cream. chocolate/cocoa, and a bit coffee like. Smells really inviting.

T - Awesome. Taste follows the nose. Malty and creamy. Cocoa and nut like. A bit of caramel and a nice mix of vanilla.

M - Very balanced and smooth. Rich and thick but not overly so.

D - Super drinkable. Alc is REALLY well hidden. Fantastic brew. Was really surprised at how good this one was.

4.3/5  rDev +2.9%

750 mL bottle into DFH snifter.

A- Pitch black with a 1-2 finger dark brown head. Very nice.

S- Smells exactly like Choklat, only with the roast that that beer lacks. Chocolate dominates absolutely, with a hint of fermented honey and a bit of roast to round things out.

T - Chocolate is very strong, but roasted malts do a great job of evening things out. A little hint of hop.

M - Heavy body with good carbonation. Not the heaviest, but definitely qualifies as heavy. Finish is a bit dy.

D - No taste of the alcohol. Taste is pleasant and mouthfeel is good. This beer is a joy to drink. A great beer all around.

Drank this the same night I drank Choklat, and was shocked at just how similar parts of them were, but this beer had what that beer lacked. I wish Dogfish would brew the pure imperial stout component of this beer, it'd be one of my favorites. The honey beer doesn't add very much, I found.

4.75/5  rDev +13.6%

3.68/5  rDev -12%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

750ml bottle poured into a snifter. 2011 vintage.

A: Very black. Two + finger darker mocha head with good retention and lacing.

S: Big roasted coffee, chocolate, and what I can only believe is the gesho root. Smells of some wood (oak?) maybe the wood of the root. Decent smell overall.

T: Chocolate upfront. Roasted coffee along with the gesho root and what I think is a sweetness from the honey. Some alcohol is present. Definitely different and definitely complex. Not sure if it's my cup of tea or not.

M: Light body, definitely could be thicker. Medium high carbonation. Slight creaminess. Slight Dryness.

O: It's decent. Not great. "Ages with the best of them" the bottle says. I've got one more so we'll see about that.

3.5/5  rDev -16.3%

3.75/5  rDev -10.3%

4.03/5  rDev -3.6%

This beer says it was bottled in 2012, I haven't really paid that much attention to the release of these beers, but they may do it every year now. I was under the impression it was for a commemoration of the album. Upon looking the album came out in 1970, so that would indicate to me that they made batches beyond the commemorative 40 year anniversary. I digress...

Appearance: I just love the way stouts look, it is what drew me to the style to begin with. This one is dark, like the album, pulling in every drop of the universe to combine various spectrum's of light frequency to form this amalgamation of darkness which is pure jazz in its truest of forms.

Smell: Dried fruits, molasses, charred oak, caramel

Taste: dark dried fruits, caramel, molasses, something else going on that I am not familiar with. Maybe its the gesho, I have not had that much experience with this plant. Maybe some burned latte flavors on the back end.

Overall, pretty much what you expect from an imperial stout. I would preferred that this beer came in a smaller container. Its pricey for what it is, and I am the only stout drinker around here.

4.25/5  rDev +1.7%