My Antonia | Dogfish Head Craft Brewery

Dogfish Head Craft Brewery
Delaware, United States
dogfish.com

Style: American Double / Imperial Pilsner

My Antonia (named after the Willa Cather read), is a continually-hopped imperial pilsner. This lager for ale lovers is citrusy, sweet and refined.

My Antonia started out as a collaboration beer when Sam brewed it at Birra del Borgo (hope you can read Italian) outside Rome, Italy, with owner/brewer Leonardo DiVencenzo in October 2008. In 2010, we began brewing My Antonia here in Delaware for U.S. distribution.

Added by dasenebler on 07-15-2010

Ratings: 1,775 |  Reviews: 553
3.58/5  rDev -10.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

4.6/5  rDev +14.4%

Very different taste, unlike any beer I've ever had, but not bad

3.73/5  rDev -7.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

4.5/5  rDev +11.9%

A: Hazy gold, 1 ½” fluffy white foam collar that grips the side of the glass producing thick lines of lace.
S: Light grains, citrus
T: Almost helles bock levels of malt balanced by rich, citrusy hops. The hops are smooth and not harsh - more citrus than citrus rind.
M: Smooth, creamy, medium body and carbonation.
O: A crisp, smooth, well balanced double pilsner.

4.31/5  rDev +7.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Produces a nice, long lasting foamy head. Rustic, grape smell. Tastes of citrus and hops. Smooth finish. Great overall beer, different than most pilsner's that I've had. Very nice.

4.25/5  rDev +5.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

3.93/5  rDev -2.2%

Appearance - 4.5/5
Two fingers of head which stays around for a long time. Orange-amber, a little clear, but quite hazy. A lot of carbonation can be seen rising up this beer. I really love the look of this beer. It's excellent.

Smell - 4/5
Grapes, hops, malts. Sort of a mellow-citrusy, rustic farmyard smell. Actually I don't really quite know how to describe what I'm smelling. For whatever reason a farmyard came to mind. Also, high-class Italian restaurant.

Taste - 3.75/5
Grapes, alcohol, sweet, slightly fruity malts, hop bitterness, a hint of citrus. I really like the grape aspect, it reminds me of DFH's Midas Touch. The rest of the taste is just okay. Not bad, not fantastic either. It's drinkable.

Mouthfeel - 4/5
Medium bodied, very smooth and creamy, it just glides through your mouth a down your throat. It is a little bit bitter, but not enough to detract from the drinking experience. Carbonation is light.

Overall - 4/5
I have little experience with Pilsners is general, and so I didn't really know what to expect from this beer. I was a little worried it would be too hoppy due to the label saying "continuosly hopped". However I was pleasantly surprised by this beer. The hop taste was quite mild, and there was an interesting and unexpected grape flavor to the beer. This beer was good enough that I would consider buying it again.

3.49/5  rDev -13.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

4.11/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

4.32/5  rDev +7.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

4.25/5  rDev +5.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

2.72/5  rDev -32.3%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

I typically don't go for pilsners, but was willing to give this one a try due to it being an imperial. For me, it started off good, but something in the finish didn't sit well on my palette. I found this beer to be drinkable, but not enjoyable.

4.18/5  rDev +4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

3.98/5  rDev -1%

3.73/5  rDev -7.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

4.08/5  rDev +1.5%

4.08/5  rDev +1.5%

3.88/5  rDev -3.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Taken from notes, as I had this one a few months back. Generally I enjoy double Pilsners and this one was no exception. My only dis on this is that it came across a touch hot in a medicinal kind of way, but that taste sunk in after the initial hop bittered grain taste. I was attracted to this beer after reading My Antonia, which I was turned onto after eating kolaches while in a Texan town strong in Czech influence.

3.96/5  rDev -1.5%

3.24/5  rDev -19.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.25

3.83/5  rDev -4.7%