Saison Du BUFF | Dogfish Head Craft Brewery

Dogfish Head Craft Brewery
Delaware, United States
dogfish.com

Style: Saison / Farmhouse Ale

Plans call for Saison du BUFF to be a 6% alc/vol Saison brewed with parsley, sage, rosemary and thyme. This beer will be brewed three times, once at each brewery using the same recipe.

Added by SaCkErZ9 on 08-05-2010

Liked:
3.76/5
Alströms:

Ratings: 1,655 |  Reviews: 459

A: poured into duvel tulip, pours clear yellow with a finger and a half white head which fell slow and laces well.
S: very strong rosemary and sage, along with a bit of citrus and dry malt.
T: rosemary and sage are first noticed, then a lemon citrus and lightly sweet malt. herbal flavors linger long.
M: medium-high carbonation, slick and crisp.
D: much like stones, except price per bottle is much cheaper and would be cheaper to have a few.

4.12/5  rDev +9.6%

Bought a bottle at Groton Market. Dogfish label. Served in red wine glass.

A - Pours a relatively clear straw yellow. Head forms nicely and retreats quickly, leaving behind spare lacing. Occasional small bubbles can be seen shooting up.

Ar - Aroma is delightfully flowery with a hint of lavender. Almost invokes the color purple.

T - Body is light and releases a fair amount of effervescence if swirled. Bouquet is herbal and some hints of candy are present along with a good hit of spice in the middle that I can't quite identify (if I had to pick from the ones listed on the bottle I'd prob pick sage). Finish is crisp and hop dryness stays appropriately. As the beer warms up, the herbal flavors and notes definitely take over and even release a strong grapefruit finish.

D - A good sippin beer for sure. After finishing one I definitely have a craving for another one to see if I could come across more flavors and smells. A six pack would be a good start for three friends and an even better start for two.

Overall a very enjoyable experience. Definitely worth checking out if you are new to Saisons (this is a good but different take) or if you are bored with the Saisons you've been drinking.

3.62/5  rDev -3.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Figured I'd review this one here as this is the DFH bottling of this beer that I'm drinking.

Pale golden color with mild white head that recedes to a lasting film on the surface of the beer. Aroma comes out only with warming, a bit of paler malt and then strong herbal notes, I'm getting more of the rosemary and thyme than anything. Tastes similar in that there are strong herbal notes on top of an otherwise unremarkable saison. Bitterness is high, but not necessarily due to hopping, which appears to be largely grassy and herbal as well. MF is slick, but could be creamier, as it stands the beer lies flat on the palate. Drinkability is ok, but the flavors in this one make it a tough drink. Definitely interesting, just not exactly the most enjoyable beer I've ever had.

4.35/5  rDev +15.7%

A: A honey yellow color. Bright with a good head.
S: Nice strong citrus scent with rosmary with parsley and other herbs. Really smells like something you could drink with some grilled fish.
T: Great bright and acidic flavor that has a real melange of herbs to give it a spice and a kick that almost finishes with a sweetness.
D/M: Light, crisp, and refreshing that tickles the tongue. Great beer for the season. I like the creativity.

4.12/5  rDev +9.6%

Found this single bottle yesterday at Jerry's Liquor Mart in Somerville. Refrigerated at served in a 0.4 L stange. I deliberately stirred up any yeast in the bottle (little if any) and poured it on top. Beer pours a pale golden yellow color with a respectable white head. Big, spicy aroma of yeasty esters with non-descript hoppy/herby flavors in there too.

Flavor is complex and runs over the palate satisfying all parts. After the assault of carbonation, there's a citrusy pale ale component, followed by another bright/acidic flavor which is definitely herbal but still doesn't taste specifically of parsley, sage, rosemary, or thyme. The backbone of the beer does have a nice barley malt flavor to it, but the aftertaste is dry and not at all annoying. If I had to guess, I'd say the thyme flavor comes across as the hot variety, rather than the "roast chicken" variety, and the rosemary is really tempered, not at all overpowering as it typically can be. The rosemary beer flavor does actually remind me of CBC's Weekapaug Gruit from a few years back.

4.39/5  rDev +16.8%

Poured from 12oz bottle into tulip.

Has a good looking 2-3F of foamy white head, over a chill-hazed golden body. Plenty of carbonation flowing up. Decent lacing.

Like an amazing golf shot, the aromas are uuuseful. Wow. Had sampled this on draft during its Philly Beer Week release event at Victory, and the aromas are no different - bursting with herbal goodness. Sage, parsley, and some mint in the back.

Analagous to the pucker of a good lambic, this one bites you sharply with freshly cut herbs - really cool. Hops are sharp and European. Plenty of lingering grassy flavor.

Mouthfeel is really nice - maybe a bit thin relative to others in the Saison world. Carbonation and flavors cut sharply, with a bone dry finish.

This one ranks high on the drinkability meter, although more than a few might cause some palate fatigue.

3.96/5  rDev +5.3%

A- hazy golden orangery straw color

S- Extremely herbaceous, with rosemary and parsley coming through on the nose with a slight minty-grass base.

T- Again extremely herbaceous right off the bat. Very refreshing on the palate when it is the mouth. Parsley in the begining that fades into a sweet rosemary finish with lots of resins coating the mouth. I love resiny hops, but here it doesnt work to well with the effects coming from the herbs. The resins affects the mouthfeel score negatively even though the carbonation levels are nice and the finish is approaching the dry side.

Overall- this is a very interesting beer one that I am pleased to try. I will most likely have this again only to sample the differences of each breweries batch.

3.53/5  rDev -6.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Picked up from the foodery, sounded interesting...

Poured from the bottle into standard pint glass, slightly hazy gold with white head that laced lightly.

Smell is interesting, herbal, earthy. tough for me to pick out the specific herbs but interesting.

Taste is better as it warms, very atypical for the saison, a little to earthy/vegetal, but the herbs are interesting. A bit of spicy, yeasty flavors as well.

Mouthfeel is good, well balanced, flavors are a bit biting but carbonation is good.

Not quite drinkable enough for a saison, a bit too many odd flavors.

3.97/5  rDev +5.6%

Thanks to shertz for sharing this 12oz poured into a 1/2 pint.

A - lightly hazy golden liquid with frothy white cap and moderate lacing the bead is fine

S - The smell is as promised "hellaciously herbaceous" -The beer smells like an herb garden -lots of basil floral notes and earthy green elements from the blend

M- The feel is one of the least positive parts for me w/ slight resinous and sweet and almost astringent qualities when rolled around the mouth with the sasion yeast's high carbonation doing its best to lighten the feel, but it has a full effect on the palate

T - I love the way the herbs come at you with a mild vegetal, herbed and fresh unprocessed flavor with the effect of chloryphyll in tact it is acidic when combined with the tangy aspects of the belgian yeast. It is like drinking a saison and having a meal together in one. I think this is the best possible treatment if you are gonna go all herbal with a beer, but it doesn't pull any punches either

D - I like herbs as much as anyone, I grow basil and oregano but the drinkability is not extremely high since the herbs dominate and come off as a bit domineering in this ale. I could see one here or there, but not in regular rotation IMO

3.27/5  rDev -13%

Pours a light golden color. The aromas are of spices (gardeny, peppery, not sure yet) also could be from the hops or yeast.

Taste is dominated by the spices (which are a bunch of cooking spices (sage, rosemary, etc.) according the label. Kinda hard to keep drinking because of the oddness of this beer.

I had an idea mid-way through however. Went to the fridge, grabbed some leftover Chinese noodle and had some dinner with this beer. Made it much more enjoyable to consume with food. A surprising enjoyable brew once married with other food/spice flavors. Not a saison if you ask me but I guess it has to go in some category.

1.46/5  rDev -61.2%

My husband and I bought this beer at Dogfish in Rehoboth. We opened it tonight. We first served it in tulips, and then tried half pints.

Appearance: The appearance was yellow with a thick head.

Smell: No one else has mentioned the fact that this beer smells like cat urine. I could also smell thyme and dill, both of which I like very much.

Taste: This my first saison/farmhouse type beer. Although I enjoyed the dill/thyme taste, I could not get over the urine smell when the glass was at my lips. We switched glasses to see if would improve things for me, and it did slightly, but not enough to enjoy drinking this beer.

Mouthfeel: It was a very light beer. I like light beers very much in the summer. If it tasted better, it would be a great summer beer.

Drinkability: I just could not get over the smell. We have seven bottles left, so I am hoping to trade.

4.32/5  rDev +14.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

pours a light golden color, minmal foam forms on top
smells earthy like there's been grass sprinkled into the bottle
this has a great light herb taste to it
goes down very smooth, the drinkability of this is really amazing

while i thoroughly enjoyed this beer, it felt a little too light for me and it felt like it was lacking a certain oomph to it.
however, this is really a great beer that I will certainly try again.

3.82/5  rDev +1.6%

Poured into a DFH snifter glass

A: Pours a hazy yellow with a thick white head consisting of a lot of small bubbles. Nice lacing down the glass.

S: A nice aroma of citrus and lemon upfront. The spices hit on back end, and also a grassy component. The spices on the nose come much more obvious as the beer warms.

T: The spices come through on the taste as well, as well as some pepper. There is a very small hop kick, which doesn't surprise me that much being that it is from DFH. Leaves a nice aftertaste.

D/M: Nice carbonation, early on a lot of small bubbles were being released from the bottom. Has a light mouthfeel, and the 6.8% is hidden very well. I had no problem putting this one down, but I don't know how many I would want to drink in one night. Overall, quite enjoyable.

3.7/5  rDev -1.6%

I like Saisons a bit more traditional tasting, but this was pretty good even though it has a few more elements going on. Pours a very slightly hazy gold color with lots of tiny bubbles and a delicate, medium size white head. A bit less than average retention and some lacing.

Aroma was surprising...grassy earthy background but an almost perfume like herbal aroma.

Taste had saison earthy/grassy thing going on, a good bit of lemon zest and a very strong presence of aromatic herbs. I am more of a Hennepin/ Dupont kind of guy with Saisons, but this was pretty good - if different.

Mouthfeel is about right for the style. Right amount of carbonation.

Drinkability is average - the herbs are nice in small doses and one to two bottles of this would be very welcome. These flavors would get old given a few of these beers. Definitely a worthwhile experience, but I would prefer a Hennepin when I am in the mood for a Saison.

4.32/5  rDev +14.9%

Pour is really nice looking, and it takes until I smell it to realize it isn't an IPA. It is a bright golden yellow with uncharacteristically perfect clarity. Light visible carbonation rises inside feeding the huge 2 finger fluffy, rocky white head. It fades to a a good, thick skim and leaves behind tons of sticky lacing.

The nose is full of the delicious herbs. The rosemary and thyme are particularly notable. There's a slight hint of citrus complementing the fragrance.

This is definitely a light and refreshing beer. The herbs take center stage again, and the sage definitely becomes more apparent in the taste than in the smell. Rosemary still dominates. The citrusy hops come across brightly bitter, and a light yeastiness adds body. The overall feel is light, effervescent and bright. A perfect summer beer, and really enjoyable with Latin fare. Could drink this all summer.

4.31/5  rDev +14.6%

a: Pale golden color with a small finger thick head that remains for about a minute or so.

s: Some typical saison smells: lemon(grass?) and pepper. The sage, thyme, and rosemary aromas are present.

t: Delicious. In essence it is very much a saison but at the same time a good diversion from the standard. Great crisp herbal flavors in this brew. This hides the 6.8% abv very well.

m: Dry, refreshing, and smooth.

d: More please. Thankfully I bought a four pack of this.

Haven't tried the other two of these yet so I can't compare :/

3.22/5  rDev -14.4%

Poured from a nicely packaged 12 oz bottle purchases for about 3$ a pop, bought 3.

Pours a beautiful just hazy yellow orange color. Big head that leaves nice lacing. The aroma is off the wall. More bitterness and parsley and thyme than the stone one. Really has a strong fresh herbal note to it. Really inviting and def has a bit more hop bitterness than the atone version. The taste is not my cup of tea especially in this style which is my favorite. The flavors are stingy, almost rubbing alcohol like with extreme sourness to it that leaves you wincing. Herbs come through but not pleasantly or buttery like the stone version. Mouthfeel is ok. Has an astringent dryness that is off balanced and leaves an extreme tangy aftertaste. Drinkability is limited for me. Really not impressed but a good effort with all these ingredients.

4.42/5  rDev +17.6%

Pours a pale-ish yellow against my computer screen, but is more golden orange against the wall. 2 finger white head and a tower of carbonation bubbles rising in the center of my Duvel tulip. Seems like less "smoke" than the Stone version. Light lacing.

Aroma is awesome. Mostly hopw from the bottle with lighter herbal aroma. In the glass, the herbals kick in, soon overpowering everything else. In the Stone version, I got the sage, but the other herbs not so much. This time I get the sage again, and the rosemary and the thyme as well. The parsley still eludes me. Aroma seems different than the Stone. I think the individual herbal aromas stand out more. Seems to be more (herbal) bitterness to the aroma. I'll do a side-by-side comparison of all 3 versions later.

Some lightly sweet malt and bitter herbals followed by some bitter hops. Grapefruit-like tartness as well.

Light bodied. I thought it was less peppery than the Stone version until the third glass which started out very peppery, The peppery aspect seems to fade mear the bottom of the glass.

Very drinkable. The only thing that slowed me down was the ABV.

I ranked this slightly lower than the Stone version as the taste had an odd herbal bitterness to it.

Shelf price was $3.49, but they rang up as $2.79. As I had bought 6 of them, I didn't complain. 4404 Brambleton Kroger, Roanoke, VA.

Bring it on, Victory!!!

3.4/5  rDev -9.6%

Pours a pale yellow color with a decent two finger white head that falls with some lace left behind.

Aroma is citrus, orange and lemon nice yeast notes on bready malt. Grassy notes form hops, lots of spice notes also.

Taste is bready malt with good yeast notes to start moves into tart citrus lemon mostly. Finish is lots of spice mingled with grassy hop notes and some light bitterness. Overall decent enough finish just seems like too much spice for my tastes. Would have enjoyed this one much more if the spice was knocked back a notch.

Mouthfeel is good light with some nice peppy carbonation.

Drinkability is hurt for me by the spice give me more wet horse less spice but just my opinion.

4.2/5  rDev +11.7%

I had this one on tap and the DFH Alehouse in Falls Church, VA. With an all-star collaboration involving DFH, Victory, and Stone, expectations were high for this one.

A: Clear yellow-orange with very little head and moderate carbonation.

S: Very bitter smell of grapefruit and lemon, accompanied by a VERY strong floral presence. My wife described it as a "rose garden." She's right!

T: Hop forward with a bit of an alcohol burn in the middle. However, this compliments the citrus character very well. This one is very yeasty - almost like "liquid bread."

M: Large amounts of foam clings to the glass, but that is to be expected from this style. Sweetness and bitterness dissipates after a few sips, soothing the taste buds with a cushion of yeast.

D: I finished half the glass after finishing my note taking and still couldn't get enough. I easily finished this one off, but didn't consider ordering another.

Overall, this was a wonderful example of the style. I still feel the one produced by Victory was much smoother and enjoyable - it had a refreshing quality that was sorely lacking in the DFH version.

3.87/5  rDev +2.9%

Purchased at Wilmington, DE liquor store. Had to ask for it, seeing as it wasn't openly displayed. The store mentioned only receiving 5 cases of the minimal brew release.

Bottle poured into small juice glass, as shared with others to sample.

A: Light hazy yellow color with light head that lingered for a while.

S: You can definitely smell of the herbal notes used and noted on the label. Very appealing.

T: A solid Saison style brew. Perfect for the summer months. The herbs are mildly tasted towards the back end.

M: Easy drinking with smooth finish.

D: Definitely drinkable, but probably wouldn't have more than one in a sitting. The herbal base is delicious, but I see one as being enough.

Overall, very happy with this brew after all that I heard about it. Purchased the Stone bottling this afternoon as well, so we'll see how it compares/or is different.

3.88/5  rDev +3.2%

A - Great looking beer that is hazy golden with a nice white head that has good retention and good lacing.

S - Yeasty nose up front but then balances out with a lemon/citrusy zest, and some herbal aromas.

T - Spicy yeast up front, then I taste some pine flavors about mid palate, then a barrage of herbs through the aftertaste. Tastes good, however, seems a little messy with all the different herbs battling for taste at the end, with nothing quite winning.

M - Light body, medium carbonation, finishes dry.

D - Enjoyed drinking this one and I would definitely get it again when in the mood for a saison. Big and bold enough that it paired well with grilled sockeye salmon and brussel sprouts.

4.5/5  rDev +19.7%

Pours with a bllowing bright white cloudy textured head rises well above the rim of my chalice. Slightly hazed bright straw golden color, lacing left behind is fine and intricate. Nose is blasting with rosemary and thyme it smells like somebody just roasted some chicken. Sharp spicy acidity with hints of citric undertones and sweet grassy layers as well. Flavor this one is tasting nice a saison/gruit combo with aromatic/spiy herbal additions. Much more appealing than the Stone version I had, it was so spicy I had a hard time detecting the saison characteristics. This one actually accomplishes the balance that would go nice with a meal using these same aromatic herbs. Citrus combo of herbs/lemongrass/thyme bitterness very green and fresh tasting lively carbonation on the palate helps the flavos not fall flat. Eye opening appeal that brings out the point that what else could be used to spice a beer up instead of straight up hop additions, I like the creativity no boundary approach that went into play when formulating this saison style. Light effervescent carbonation that works nicely with the style body is moderate very killer mouthfeel. Drinkability was easy, no problems consuming this fantastic gruit/saison, can't wait to try Victory's version.

3.5/5  rDev -6.9%

Tasted at the Dogfish Head Alehouse in Chantilly, Va.

Served in a 10 oz. snifter filled to the brim, fine carbonation present but no head. Crystal clear, nice light golden color. Aroma is of lemon zest and light crisp malt.

Initial flavor is crisp and clean with a bready malt profile, soon flavor changes to fresh tart fruit. A dab of sweetness balances the citrus fruits and leaves a clean tangy aftertaste.

Tasty beer, well timed for the end of summer. Definitely more enjoyable than the Stone version. Victory's we shall see soon.

3.67/5  rDev -2.4%

An interesting beer, that was a nice balance of spices and a touch of hops.

A: nothing special here, golden hue with a bit of head, and a small amount of lacing

S: Earthy, some hops and spices, maybe the rosemary a little.

T: Lots of spices in this one. you can definitely taste the rosemary and thyme, some hints of hops balancing the other spices providing some bitterness, and fruity.

M/D: A lighter beer, but full of flavor. It had a aftertaste that lasted a while, but not too bad.

Saison Du BUFF from Dogfish Head Craft Brewery