Saison Du BUFF | Dogfish Head Craft Brewery

Dogfish Head Craft Brewery
Delaware, United States
dogfish.com

Style: Saison / Farmhouse Ale

Plans call for Saison du BUFF to be a 6% alc/vol Saison brewed with parsley, sage, rosemary and thyme. This beer will be brewed three times, once at each brewery using the same recipe.

Added by SaCkErZ9 on 08-05-2010

4.5/5  rDev +19.4%

3.75/5  rDev -0.5%

4.25/5  rDev +12.7%

3.65/5  rDev -3.2%

On tap for this review, had it when origibally released, and did a tasting of all three versions in past. This review:

Pours a hazy straw-to-golden with a fair amount if soapy head. Lacing is pretty significant, and the beer sustains a nice film of head. The nose isn't as strong as I recall, but I do get a bit of Belgian yeast funk, and some hints if the spices they use. I also get a light lemon scent.

The taste hits a bit more earthy than I'd expect from the nose, but it doesn't really have that farmhouse taste I sorta expect from a saison. I do get a bit of tartness; it's not really lemon, but something like it. After this initial taste, the beer does turn a bit dry and I get more of the spices.

Overall, I have the impression they mellowed this out from the initial offering (I realize I'm probably imagining it). I recall the spices really reminding me more of thanksgiving, maybe just the sage was a bit stronger. The smells and tastes were never overpowering, but they are muted in this pour. A decent beer that I can leave until next year's offering to try again.

3.6/5  rDev -4.5%

3.75/5  rDev -0.5%

3.92/5  rDev +4%

4.5/5  rDev +19.4%

Not being an IPA this beer was very smooth and great taste

Saison Du BUFF from Dogfish Head Craft Brewery