Saison Du BUFF | Dogfish Head Craft Brewery

Dogfish Head Craft Brewery
Delaware, United States
dogfish.com

Style: Saison / Farmhouse Ale

Plans call for Saison du BUFF to be a 6% alc/vol Saison brewed with parsley, sage, rosemary and thyme. This beer will be brewed three times, once at each brewery using the same recipe.

Added by SaCkErZ9 on 08-05-2010

Ratings: 1,650 |  Reviews: 458
4.23/5  rDev +10.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Saison Du Buff pours a golden color, with a small, barley lacing head. Big creamy aroma, lots of spice. Taste is also very creamy, lots of spice, lots of thyme and sage, mixes very well, with a slight bitter finish. Good body and feel. Overall, a pretty complex Saison, but great flavors.

4.55/5  rDev +19.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Not overpowering with the spices, very smooth and tasty. It's almost surprising how good it is.

3.85/5  rDev +0.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.26/5  rDev -14.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from 12oz bottle into Bell's Hopslam Tulip. No bottling/freshness date.

L: Clear yellow, a touch lighter than your typical Saison. Nice big fluffy head, two fingers of off-white. Good lacing.

S: Very typical Saison aroma, very funky and fruity and spicy. Some herbs, mainly sage and rosemary, with touches of the parsley and thyme. Doesn't smell that inviting to be honest.

T: Okay, this might be an off putting analogy but this tastes like a cold carbonated alcoholic herbal tea. I think they hit the mark of what Dogfish/Victory/Stone wanted but not what consumers wanted. It's not a good Saison. Sure it pushes the boundaries of typical beer but it just doesn't taste good. It's not particularly bad and I will finish it but I will never drink it again, even if someone offered it up. It has no fruit taste or yeasty funk in the flavor.

F: Light, crisp. Semi-dry.

O: Not a fan.

3.32/5  rDev -13.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

3.9/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

04/11/2017

Bottle to goblet; after a long day walking the Philadelphia zoo; listening to various versions of Scarborough Fair on YouTube as I imbibe.

LOOK: light yellow, healthy white creamy head.
AROMA: grassy, spicy, sage and rosemary are most pronounced of that famous quartet. Farmhouse ale type esters are mixed in, but not overpowering as they sometimes are. Pleasantly fragrant.
TASTE: esters, peach, apple; there is a tartness in the end that I don't love. Still a tasty beer.
FEEL: Creamy and somewhat light, but it builds on you and this needs to be a sipper or you'll get over powered.

Good Collaboration from three great breweries.

4.25/5  rDev +11.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

3.93/5  rDev +2.9%

1.89/5  rDev -50.5%

3.75/5  rDev -1.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.85/5  rDev +0.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.6/5  rDev -5.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

3.79/5  rDev -0.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

4.79/5  rDev +25.4%

It was a cool and crisp February evening, a wisping wind tickled by chest as the sun began to set in the distance. I took a seat in the green and brown grass of the meadow that lay before me. There was a dark brown bottle that lay afoot in the distance, it had called me, it had introduced to me it's likeness.

I was drawn in like a moth to the light, like Romeo to his lover. It had spoken to me, and as I was delighted to meet it. It had said "My name is Saison Du Buff, drink me - indulge yourself with my essence". As I took a sip of the bottle the soft glow of the sunset has glimmered before my eyes, the cold and bubbly liquid had entered me, and invigorated my very soul.

I had come to know it, and it now knew me, and its subtle notes of thyme and coriander had enlivened me and brought me into an intimate evening dance. It's light hoppiness but stark and swift touch of malt had taken to the era of jazz and I personally met Miles Davis in his spiritual form.

As I had finished the drink, with the subtle touch of the foaminess of the last drop it had gently and pleasantly returned me back home. It was the end of the evening, and the sun gave its last breath of radiance before it had gone under. Returned I was, but indeed, I was now a different man.

4.34/5  rDev +13.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

2.79/5  rDev -27%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

2.93/5  rDev -23.3%

3.95/5  rDev +3.4%

3.58/5  rDev -6.3%

4.7/5  rDev +23%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

3.75/5  rDev -1.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

4.33/5  rDev +13.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

3.58/5  rDev -6.3%

12 oz. bottle, bottled 06/10/2014 printed on the bottleneck. Aged 2 years and one month. "Ale brewed with parsley, sage, rosemary, & thyme". I have typically been unimpressed with the Stone and Victory versions of this beer I've had in the past.

Poured into a Duvel tulip snifter.

A - Pours a nice golden orange body, lots of sediment visible in the glass, with around two fingers of frothy white head that lingers as a ring and leaves some okay lacing. The beer is still fresh and perfectly carbonated. Looks nice.

S - Notes of the dry herbal spices is obvious, with a touch of basil / lemongrass type aroma in there also. Subtle notes of orange / citrus rind, and perhaps a touch fumey with alcohol. Smells okay.

T - Taste follows the nose: crisp saison yeast, notes of cream, lemongrass, orange / citrus rind, basil, thyme, herbal spice rack. The yeast seems to have really smoothed things out, it tastes very creamy & Belgian-y, almost more like a tripel or a dubbel. Much more notes of lemongrass & citrus in this one also than I remember from previous versions.

M - The feel is smooth, crisp, creamy, lightly citrusy. Carbonation has held up very well, if i didn't know any better, i'd think this was released within the past year.

Overall, I'd call it decent, but i wouldn't call it great. Better than the 2015 vintage i had from Victory, and the 2016 brewed by Stone, so perhaps a couple years of age helps smooth this one out.

Dogfish Head Saison Du Buff (2014) -----3.5/5