60 Minute IPA | Dogfish Head Craft Brewery

Dogfish Head Craft Brewery
Delaware, United States
dogfish.com

Style: American IPA

60 Minute IPA is continuously hopped -- more than 60 hop additions over a 60-minute boil. (Getting a vibe of where the name came from?)

60 Minute is brewed with a slew of great Northwest hops. A powerful but balanced East Coast IPA with a lot of citrusy hop character, it's the session beer for hardcore enthusiasts!

Added by BeerAdvocate on 09-30-2002

Reviews: 2,816 | Ratings: 11,259
2.51/5  rDev -38.2%

Pours a medium golden color with a white head that goes away quickly. Smell is nonexistent. Now for the bad. Taste like pine sol. Mouthfeel is meh. Overall the taste sucked. Giving it a low grade.

4.26/5  rDev +4.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Left at the house last weekend by son-in-law Jamie.
Pours fairly clear pale gold with a tint of orange and with a very ample head that showed superior retention.

Smell: Sharp citric hops, tart grapefruit along with some bread malts.

Taste: Tart and mildly bitter hops most evident that are moderate, not overwhelming (for me that is how I want hops).
Finishes dry with lasting bitterness.
Very good beer!

4.25/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

L - A dark yellow, not quite amber. Lots of carbonation, as well as a medium head that dissipates quickly.
S - Citrus, pine, floral, and a hint of sweetness.
T - Good, straightforward hop flavor that is clean and refreshing. Does not taste like a 60 IBU at all. A good balance of hop and malt flavor.
F - Medium body, high carbonation. Very easy to drink.
O - This was the beer that got me into IPAs in the first place. It is an excellent choice for someone just getting into hoppy beers but not quite yet a hophead. That being said, 60 minute is a beer that I think just about everyone can enjoy.

4.08/5  rDev +0.5%

Pours a clear medium golden color with a small white head. Carbonation is obvious. Leaves great thin lacing.

Hops are present in the aroma but not overly so. Definite orange and floral tones.

Taste has more hops to it than the smell did. Overall not a whole lot to it, just a bit citrusy. Simple and clean.

Feel is carbonated and crisp. Very easy drinking.

Overall a good IPA. Not as complex as I like--would have preferred more citrus and floral tastes.

4.18/5  rDev +3%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Look: Amber, with a medium white head.
Smell: floral and citrus.
Taste: grapefruit, lemon, pine and floral
Feel: medium body with carbonation
Overall: nothing to special, but good, can't go wrong with dogfish head

4.04/5  rDev -0.5%

Pretty good IPA. Not very complex but it gets the job done. What mainly stands out is that piney hoppy finish. Its not overdone (which I'm thankful for as someone who has mixed feelings about IPAs). I'd have it again though if i was looking for just a standard IPA to have around.

3.63/5  rDev -10.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Orange color and a pleasant lemon,grapefruit aroma. Not overly hopped which was great as I usually don't like strong ipas. Really well made beer that was easy to drink

4.16/5  rDev +2.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

Look - Clear copper/honey, two fingers of white head. Loads of lacing.

Smell - Pine, sweet orange, fresh bread

Taste - Pine dominant, sweet white bread malt, citrus fruit bitterness, malty aftertaste

Feel - Medium bodied, nice carbonation. A tad thin.

Overall - Delicious. I'd never turn one down.

3.65/5  rDev -10.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

This beer pours a clear amber color. The head is frothy, and one finger, and nice carbonation bubbles rising in the glass. The nose is somewha hoppy, but not extremely so. The taste is got a slight hop kick. Got the pine, and citrus from the hops. Not very overpowering. I get the bitter feeling all the way down and it lasts for a while. Not extremely watery feeling. It's ok, but the 90 and 120 are better, but a decent IPA.

3.67/5  rDev -9.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.75

I opened the bottle and was ambushed by foam! Such a foamy, fizzy beer. It lacks sweet notes, but has a bitter, evolving hoppy flavor from the start to the end of the sip. At the end, I do detect the citrus notes-- it's more grapefruit than lemon. I would buy this beer again if I wanted something not-sweet and not-sour. It's quite neutral.

3.3/5  rDev -18.7%

Hoppy aromas. Crisp feel, definite IPA taste, dry finish. Pretty average IPA, though. I know a lot of people love this one, but I prefer their 90 minute IPA.

4.03/5  rDev -0.7%

It's an IPA with a reputation and it's a solid one at that. I find myself comparing most other IPAs to this particular one (at the 90 minute). It's enjoyably hoppy with no major thrills.

3.79/5  rDev -6.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

overall, a good IPA; enjoyed it

the aromas are not so strong - malt aromas were most distinct, not so much hops

light carbonations, smooth drink

light amount of citrus and hop flavors

3.17/5  rDev -21.9%

I used to really like this beer, but for some reason, it almost seems like the latest batches aren't quite as good as before. It's still alright, but it has a bit of skunky taste now. I'm drinking it now and notice very subtle off flavors. The 90 Minute is just the same as it always has been. Maybe it's just this batch, I don't know.

4.22/5  rDev +3.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

One of my favorites, this is a solid IPA. Great appearance, good smell (if not strong), and great hop presence. This beer seems a bit better in my memory than in recent tastings, but I would never hesitate to grab this one.

3.33/5  rDev -18%

Maybe I am just going crazy but as of recent, I dont remember 60 minute tasting like the last few times I purchased. Begin tasting and you get a very chocolate malt taste with very little hops. It finishes with kind of a powdery type taste to finish.

Look: Crystalline amber gold with a white head that subsided over a few minutes leaving nice lacing and small effervescing bubbles.
Smell: Not overbearing, but good. Grassy hops, and a bit of citrus zest.
Taste: Slightly bitter, yet sweet malt, hops, and even more of the citrus that you get when you smell it. Earthy, not piney.
Feel: Medium-heavy, slightly slick beer, medium energy on the amount of carbonation
Overall: Not too bad, an IPA that I don't have any problems drinking.

3.8/5  rDev -6.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Preamble: Dogfish is a damn good brewery, and I am by and large an enormous fan. 60 Minute - at least as of late - however, has fallen flat.

Don't get me wrong, everything about this beer's backstory, composition, brew process, and even label description leads one to believe that it should be some straight divine nectar, and considering the undeniable hop presence, this should be the beer I dream about. But... Disclaimer over.

The hoppiness at first taste is pleasant, yes, and I love the bitter grassiness, but it gives way to nothing else. If the selling point of your hop behemoth IPA is the lupulin monstrosity therein, I'm hoping for a little more complexity than just grass.

Again, I sandwich the criticism with an absolute adoration for Dogfish, an understanding that perhaps I may not yet have the palate to appreciate the nuances, and a recognition that I have appreciated this beer more so in the past.

There is also a pretty solid malt backbone intermingling with the hoppy lead.

Have I been apologetic enough?

4.13/5  rDev +1.7%

This one has been near the top of my hit list for a while: Dogfish Head 60 Minute IPA… or was it the 75 Minute IPA? Or the 90 Minute IPA? Or their 120 Minute IPA? Case in point: Dogfish Head make a lot of IPAs and it’s hard to keep track of them, but I’ll give them all a go when I get the chance. As an East Coast style IPA I’m expecting it to be smooth bodied with a juicy hop aspect and a decent balance between bitter/sweet (perhaps erring on the side of sweet). Fun fact: Dogfish sharks have venom which coats their dorsal spines which is mildly toxic to humans - true story.

Poured from a 355ml bottle into a nonic pint.

A: Cloudy marigold body with a nice dense one centimetre cream-coloured head. This looks absolutely fantastic for an IPA - just the right shade of amber, cloudy and with top-notch head retention, nice! 8/10.

S: Once again hop-fade is the bane of my existence - although this was bottle in 09/16 (4 months ago)… I guess that’s long enough to expect hop-fade. Aroma is more malt than hop driven, damn shame, notes of: Caramel, fresh baked biscuits, hint of citrus, and a light floral touch. Still not bad but definitely lacking hop aroma in the 4 months since it was brewed. 7/10.

T: Still firmly citrus driven in the flavour though, begins with lemon, then grapefruit through to fresh-squeezed orange in the finish, which is of a medium (and quite appropriate) bitterness. Caramel/biscuit malts throughout the palate lay a solid sweet foundation for this (after 4 months still) hop driven delight. 9/10.

M: Medium bodied with a nice dense but light carbonation, pretty spot on mouthfeel. 9/10.

D: The closest IPA I would compare this to is Smuttynose Finestkind IPA, however Smuttynose edges this overall. It must be noted that Smuttynose was about the same age when I tried it so really between the two IPAs it’s really about the one that aged best, I would love to have gotten my hands on both when they were fresh however East Coast US beers don’t seem to get shipped as easily and frequently as West Coast brews, hence the possible discrepancy between my scores - really with IPAs I am fast learning (from homebrew as well as drinking): The fresher the better, and: Old IPAs - don’t bother. 8/10.

Food match: The classic IPA match of Thai, or even Laotian larb would be ace.

4.12/5  rDev +1.5%

Poured from 12oz bottle into standard pint glass. No bottle/freshness date.

L: Hazy copper in color, fluffy off-white head with good retention. Excellent lacing.

S: Floral and citrus hops, decent malt presence, fruit esters, yeast.

T: Lot of hop presence at first, floral, citrus and herbal. Well balanced with the malt keeping the finish sweet.

F: Light-Medium body, semi-dry, well carbonated. Refreshing.

O: Just a wonderful overall IPA. A standard all IPAs should strive for.

4.1/5  rDev +1%

Nice golden color with plenty of citrus and hops on both the nose and palate. Very enjoyable beer. Their 90 minute is objectively a better beer, but subjectively I prefer this one.

3.61/5  rDev -11.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

I really loved the 90 minute from Dogfish Head and was excited to learn the 60 min was when I was at a bar traveling for work. To my dismay, it tasted old and worn out. I don't think it was stored properly to be honest, but I rated what I tasted at that point in time.

3.56/5  rDev -12.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Clear copper, white lasting head.
Aroma is nice, but minimal. More earthy and floral.
Taste is balanced, but more malty than I usually like. I don't get much grapefruit, or citrus but there is some bitterness than lingers. Finish is clean.
Not my favorite IPA.

3.84/5  rDev -5.4%

Pours a clear, bright golden color with minimal head. Smell is piney with a little seeetness. Not overpowering. Taste is sweet up front transitioning to a dry, piney finish. Very well balanced. Mouthfeel is is a little thin but there is a nice, slick oiliness. Really a standard for the American IPA.

4.67/5  rDev +15%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Poured 12oz bottle into one of my favorite vintage German beer glasses- a Holsten Pilsener goblet I inherited from my German great grandfather. I live in California, so I usually stick to west coast beers. This is surprisingly the first Dog Fish Head beer I've sampled, despite knowing quite a bit about the brewery and the uniqueness of the styles of beers Sam Calamine and his brew wizards do at DFH.

Pours a nice golden color with evenly spread foam around the upper rim of the glass with carbonation bubbles zipping up spontaneously from the bottom of the glass. Lacing present.

On the nose- ah yes, citrus--but not overwhelming and splashes of herb pale malts coming through.

Tastes of citrus (lemon, grapefruit, zest, with pine (not resiny) and malt sweet. VERY well balanced. Usually you think, big IPA (relatively low A.B.V) would expect a big punch in the mouth...but not at all. The even distribution of hop flavors in my mouth leave me quite giddy and my pallet fresh. The mouth feel is light, carbonated, almost creamy with a bit of crispness on the end, not leaving your mouth sticky.

Overall- Truly a quintessential session IPA. I'd bid this beer over many other styles. I think this beer is a great bridge for those looking to get into drinking more IPA's, or those that are looking for a well balanced (not overly hopped) brew with a well balanced flavor, great mouthfeel, and lower alcohol content--to leave you drinking more and not feeling "hopped out". Well done.

60 Minute IPA from Dogfish Head Craft Brewery