60 Minute IPA | Dogfish Head Craft Brewery

Dogfish Head Craft Brewery
Delaware, United States
dogfish.com

Style: American IPA

60 Minute IPA is continuously hopped -- more than 60 hop additions over a 60-minute boil. (Getting a vibe of where the name came from?)

60 Minute is brewed with a slew of great Northwest hops. A powerful but balanced East Coast IPA with a lot of citrusy hop character, it's the session beer for hardcore enthusiasts!

Added by BeerAdvocate on 09-30-2002

Ratings: 11,395 |  Reviews: 2,845
Reviews by BlackAngus:
4.42/5  rDev +8.9%

A - Gold color, crystal clear, with a nice big head that lasted the whole way down the glass.

S - Nice big juicy hop aroma, with a solid maltiness as well. Interesting.

T - Extremely well-balanced hoppiness and maltiness. Extremely clean. Hint of sweetness to offset the somewhat intense bitterness.

M - Medium bodied, with perfect carbonation.

D - This is a perfectly formulated, expertly executed American IPA. One of my go-to beers, now.

4.24/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Bottled on date of 04/23/14

Appearance - Pours a clear golden orange with an eggshell white 2 finger head. Fantastic retention that just refuses to die. Lacing makes no qualms about grasping to the side of the glass and hanging around like has nothing else better to do.

Smell - Juicy citrus notes abound - fresh orange with light grapefruit zest and maybe even a faint whiff of lemon.

Taste - Flavor is a bit more tame, but still manages some nice character. Orange notes are predominant, with touches of mint leaf and light pith bitterness in the finish. Malts are faint, but very generic, like white bread.

Mouthfeel - Medium in body with fair carbonation. A touch velvety with nice smoothness.

Overall - Really nice, smooth drinking beer. Really, everything that you'd want in an IPA that you could drink bottle after bottle, while still delivering a solid punch of flavor. Yeah, I think I'll be buying this again sometime in the near future!

4.24/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.25

I finally decided to give this a shot, since I have run out of excuses not to. I am not a huge fan of the Dogfish Head offerings I have received, mostly due to their prohibitive price and sometimes funky flavors. However, this is a classic in craft brewing so I needed to try it. I go in with no bias against this particular brew.

12 oz. glass bottle, poured into trusty pint glass. Creamy head foams up immediately with a moderately heavy pour, two fingers' worth settles in and it sticks around a good while with moderate lacing and carbonation. Color is a nice solid gold and clarity is perfect. I would like to see this more on the amber side since that signals a good mix of beery barley and malt with the hops.

Smell is as expected: citrus, grass, and some malty notes, but the hops are not overwhelming.

Flavor is good but could stand a notch more malt and deeper, richer roasted notes. That said, the hops are surprisingly subtle, though plenty flavorful. The bitterness is tempered by the fruity notes, and there is a little bit of that oily texture IPAs can bring. The hops are blended well with the ale flavors, though, and there is a nice touch of sweetness, a hint of butterscotch and some good nutty flavors on the palate.

Mouthfeel is extremely crisp and clean with a nice carbonation and hops bite. Goes down smooth and easy, and wouldn't be out of place in the warmth of summer.

To summarize, this beer is quite good and I can definitely see how it was once considered groundbreaking. I also respect that they allow subtlety in their work, since they don't fall victim to the "ADD MORE HOPS" trap like a lot of other guys. My main complaint is that it needs deeper body and that it could stand to go down a couple bucks in price. But it is a darn fine beer nonetheless.

To good health and good beer.

3.33/5  rDev -18%

Maybe I am just going crazy but as of recent, I dont remember 60 minute tasting like the last few times I purchased. Begin tasting and you get a very chocolate malt taste with very little hops. It finishes with kind of a powdery type taste to finish.

2.54/5  rDev -37.4%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

If you are looking for an IPA that is more on the mellow side versus other IPAs this one is for you. I like my IPAs strong with a big, hoppy bite and a pungent nose. This IPA is good but not great. Kind of bland in the context of IPAs.

1.73/5  rDev -57.4%
look: 2 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.75

Murky, muddled, bitter, quickly dying fizz, this brew always fails to impress me even if I spent years between tasting, but friends seem to like to talk it up. It has a little bit of hoppiness. If it had no label, I wouldn't know the brand, nor would I ask.

4.12/5  rDev +1.5%

Presentation: 12 oz brown bottle with a packaged in date on the label for freshness.

Appearance: Quite hazy from the yeast that seemed to be loose in the bottle, decent head retention as a thin white lace stays intact.

Smell: Mildly estery with hints of floral citric hop, cookie like malt and a faded buttery yeast combo.

Taste: Lots of fresh hop oil flavour, very juicy with citric and bitter herbal tones. Solid maltiness holds up to the hops well with a dough toasted grain mix. Touch of nutty yeast with a slight warmth from estery alcohol. Finish semi-dry with a long lingering bitter finish from the hops.

Notes: An idea IPA to have around, very drinkable and very flavourful. With it being bottle conditioned I’ll have to make this a regular in my fridge.

Sorry but I rate beers only on taste, This one for me was a 3/5. It's good but that is about it. I think that the 90 min might be better because I did catch myself wanting a little more booze with all the flavor in this beer. It's not busting with flavor but it does have your typical ipa bitterness along with a mild but noticeable citrus which I am not crazy about. I just think it wasn't necessary to put it in there at least not as noticeable as it is. Anyway if you haven't tried this beer then give it a shot but you might be better off with 90 min if you like your flavors with some kick if you know what I mean.

One of the best beers to drink for fun, with food, when you want something great, when you need to impress. Solid solid solid beer!

3.74/5  rDev -7.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A solid, easily accessible IPA. Has a great bouquet of sweet tropical fruit and pineapple. Taste is mainly tart grapefruit flavors, but has a mild sweetness on the finish for some balance. The taste is pretty typical of a quality IPA. Overall good, but nothing special.

2.51/5  rDev -38.2%

Pours a medium golden color with a white head that goes away quickly. Smell is nonexistent. Now for the bad. Taste like pine sol. Mouthfeel is meh. Overall the taste sucked. Giving it a low grade.

Living on the West Coast, IPA's are king. Unfortunately, the majority of IPA's here do nothing but destroy the palate, leaving people unable to enjoy what lies beneath the hops. This beer does an exemplary job of allowing you to taste everything the beer has to offer without drowning you with hops. One of the few IPA's that can be drank as an everyday beer (or session beer as it's called).

look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Appearance -
Cloudy, golden. Nice, creamy head.

Smell -
Green, grassy. Esthery.

Taste -
"Not really hard, but not as soft as Dogfishhead 90 minute" - me alewifie.
delicious, well-balanced. one of the few me alewifie could drink a whole one of.

3.17/5  rDev -21.9%

I used to really like this beer, but for some reason, it almost seems like the latest batches aren't quite as good as before. It's still alright, but it has a bit of skunky taste now. I'm drinking it now and notice very subtle off flavors. The 90 Minute is just the same as it always has been. Maybe it's just this batch, I don't know.

3.99/5  rDev -1.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Not quite as good at the 90 minute IPA in my opinion, but still a solid beer. To me it smells like canned pineapple juice. Very pleasant - I'm not getting hops or grapefruit on the nose like other people are. The taste is a little bready but it mellows out and has a smooth finish. I could drink this with any meal and be happy.

4.32/5  rDev +6.4%

Things have changed in the IPA market so much since I first had this. This was my first love when it comes to IPAs. I have since grown to really use this as my "daily drinker" IPA. Which is kinda crazy considering how good it really is. But when I have access to Alchemist, Lawsons, Tree House etc....this does take a back seat. Solid, solid IPA.

4.53/5  rDev +11.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

We got this in a Trader Joe's mystery bag as a gift from a friend. Poured from 12 oz. bottle (bottled on 10/06/15) into a tulip glass. Paired with spicy Thai curry. Perfect match!

Look: Beautiful golden color and clear. Small off-white head that persists only at the edges. Great lacing as you drink it.

Smell: Classic IPA hop scents: piney, floral, citrusy. A bit of honey. I love the smell.

Taste: Subtle and not very bitter for an IPA. Nicely balanced, you can actually taste the malt, which I like. Doesn't taste quite as good as it smells, but still very good. The bitterness lingers in the aftertaste and invites you to drink more.

Feel: Medium carbonation, a little thin/watery.

Overall: An awesome, balanced IPA for someone like myself who isn't a hop-head.

4.9/5  rDev +20.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

12 Oz bottle, freshly dated into a DFH IPA glass. This is a truly excellent beer. Great hop flavor, lots of carbonation, lovely dark gold color, and a smooth drinkability that doesn't go overboard on hops bitterness. Simply put, a classic of its kind.

Straight 4's on this one,nice hazy orange color with a light sticky head,aroma is fruity and and lightly carammely.The taste is nicely balanced witha nice caramell backbone with some definent fruity/grassy hop in the forfront.A real nice quafable ale very tasty.

3.5/5  rDev -13.8%

4.03/5  rDev -0.7%

Appearance – This one is a deep but brilliant orange in color with a thick, creamy, retentive head that is slowly lacing the hell out of my Cottonwood glass.

Smell – This nose has a full, huge biscuity character making it a strong East Coast IPA. It’s almost nutty it’s so big. The hops are big and fruity.

Taste – The malts here are gigantic and flavored with Macadamia nuts. The biscuit is like raw biscuit dough. It’s almost tangy and very yeasty, not in a Hefe Weizen way but more like yeast in warm water after it’s foamed but before it’s mixed with dough. The hops are classic East Coast with lots of non-acidic grapefruit and a strong citrus balance.

Mouthfeel – This one is on the big side of medium-bodied with some good carbonation but little drying on the tongue. It’s creamy in the mouth like peanut butter.

Drinkability – This is very different than other IPAs that I’ve had. It doesn’t follow the pattern of DFH’s other IPAs, that’s for sure. It is very smooth though and went down quite well.

Update – I originally reviewed this with an ’05 sample so thought I’d revisit it with a 2006 vintage. It’s not as big in the mouth as I initially noted, but a very solid East Coasty IPA.

3.25/5  rDev -20%