Punkin Ale | Dogfish Head Craft Brewery

Delaware, United States
dogfish.com

Style: Pumpkin Ale

Availability: Fall

A full-bodied brown ale with smooth hints of pumpkin and brown sugar. We brew our Punkin Ale with pumpkin meat, brown sugar and spices. As the season cools, this is the perfect beer to warm up with.

Punkin Ale is named after the seriously off-centered southern Delaware extravaganza Punkin Chunkin (check out some of these Discovery Channel videos of Punkin Chunkin, you gotta see it to believe it!). In fact, Punkin Ale made its debut as it claimed first prize in the 1994 Punkin Chunkin Recipe Contest. Yes, that was a full 6 months before we even opened our doors for business!

Added by NeroFiddled on 09-26-2002

Reviews: 2,103 | Ratings: 6,526

Saved this beer over the course of three years. Tried a vertical tasting for fun on thanksgiving with my dad (2016).

2014:
Had the most earthy pumpkin flavor with the least amount of spice. Had the perfect amount of carbonation. Favorite out of the group.

2015:
Had a funky taste to it. Very earthy with a bit of clove and pumpkin pie spices. Had the lowest carbonation with a surpringly thicker feel. Least favorite of the group.

2016:
Light citrus notes. Most amount of spice: cinnamon and lots of clove/nutmeg. A slight hoppiness in the finish. It had the most carbonation. Rated second best.

Overall, the beer is alright. It paired well with moms sweet potato pie. It gets an 80/100.

4.6/5  rDev +17.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Wow what a great seasonal beer! Probably in my top 3 favorites of October beers. Smells of pumpkin, clove, and nutmeg. Tastes great and very smooth easy drinking beer. Tastes follows the nose for a prefect blended beer. I also taste a graham cracker bready maltiness to the beer. Would definitely buy again because your can never go wrong with Dogfish Head!

3.92/5  rDev +0.3%

Look - a nice hazy golden orange with a small off-white head, low retention, and spotty lacing.
Smell - pretty subdued, but you get some notes of nutmeg, brown sugar, and bready malts.
Taste - it's so balanced and smooth that you almost don't notice any notes, but if you let it sit for a moment, you get nutmeg, some cinnamon, brown sugar, and there is a perceptible pumpkin note that doesn't taste artificial.
Feel - creamy body, dry finish, moderate carbonation.
Overall, I'm most impressed by the mouthfeel of this beer; it really helps this beer stand out as something special. The aroma and taste are muted, but I still gave it a high taste rating based on the authentic pumpkin flavor that I feel like most pumpkin beers do not achieve.

This beer is a solid four all the way across the board... color is copper orange with light head that turns to nice lacing. Looks like a fall color. Smell: Like a Thanksgiving setup with all the fixings and the associated spices, not necessarily pumpkin or pumpkin pie though, which it doesn't claim to be. Also sweet smelling, like the brown sugar... which comes through on the tasting too. Ground nutmeg and clove and pumpkin are the other dominant flavors with some bread notes and no notable hops. Feel: Not what I was expecting but very good... crisp, refreshing like biting into an apple, yet soft and sort of creamy after that. If you let it linger on your palate long enough you get some pumpkin mouthfeel, but it is not extravagant by any means. This is pretty refreshing and if it wasn't 7% would be a very sessionable beer!

Not bad, but I wasn't exactly amazed either. I've been wanting to try this for so long I think I came in with expectations that were too high. I am enjoying it much more than other pumpkin ales I've tried though. Very balanced...I am picking up just a hint of the spices.

4.45/5  rDev +13.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Presentation: 12 oz bottle poured into a pint glass.

Look: Copper coloration with a white one finger head that collapses to just covering the top.

Smell: Pumpkin and spice up front followed by malts.

Taste: Very well balanced. Pumpkin and spice overlay a body of malts with hints of warming alcohol in the swallow.

Feel: Slightly thicker then medium body with moderate carbonation. Just about perfect for a fall beer.

Overall: A very, very good beer. I did not find any faults worth mentioning.

3.71/5  rDev -5.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Bottle poured into pint glass. Nice clear burnt orange color with a creamy head; modest carbonation. Spices and malts are evident to the nose. Taste is similar to nose with nuttiness, cinnamon and spices being well balanced. Easy on palate with no aftertaste; ABV nicely hidden.

3.86/5  rDev -1.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Wow. I have mixed feelings with this beer. It's got a nice light colored and unassuming look and a nice smell. I'm smelling malt mixing with pumpkin spices. Even something sweet on the nose. When I tasted the beer at first, I got some overpowering bitterness but after a few sips now I'm liking the flavor more. There is a definite balance between malt and pumpkin spices and it's not overpowering. The feel is creamy and quite carbonated(burp,excuse me). The 7% is completely hidden. Good beer !

3.71/5  rDev -5.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured from a bottle with a clear golden color and a scant head. The aroma was of sweetness (candy-like) and spice. The taste followed the aroma but much more pronounced. There was a spicy aftertaste. The body and carbonation were good. Overall, this is an OK beer but the spiciness seems a bit over-powering. This beer is best-suited to be cosumed alone rather than trying to pair it with food due to the high amount of spice.

2.77/5  rDev -29.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 2 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.5

2016.

Toasted grain color with tints of blonde and clean chestnut, with a creamy head of 3 fingers. 20% opaque. Lighter than I thought it'd be as it's advertised as a brown ale.

I'm getting some nuttiness, with lots of clean aromas of malts and grain only slightly dirty by the brown sugar and faint spices that may or may not be detected depending on the depth of the breathing. Kind of detecting the cinnamon now as I breathe deeper.

And again I'm perplexed by another Pumpkin beer flavor profile. It's not even good. Very malty flavors dominate, with some nuttiness and hay following; some paper; leaving a pale, chalky and bitter chemical finish. Some light toffee or molasses sweetness towards the finish. Honestly if I didn't pay for it I'd probably dump it on the grass (yes this is outside on a balmy, beautiful fall night).

The feel is slightly creamy, but with a bump of carbonation, and hell I guess it ends up finishing slightly dry. Whatever.

Overall, I feel this overwhelming urge to get up and dump it in the sink. Like, my body's moving but my heart isn't committed yet. I've got two more bottles. Any takers?

4.38/5  rDev +12%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

12 oz. bottle

Pours rusty copper amber orange with a creamy off-white foam head. Smells like pumpkin, autumn spices, cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, some brown sugar, toasted bready caramel malt, with earthy grassy pine. Tastes like pumpkin, sweet spices, cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, brown sugar, caramel, toasted bready malt, with earthy grassy pine. Feels medium-light bodied, creamy with moderate carbonation. Overall a nice pumpkin ale.

4.05/5  rDev +3.6%

Appearance - Pours - clear light brown caramel color with decent white head

Smell - Sweet aroma, pumpkin and cinnamon, vanilla, all spice, nutmeg.

Taste - Very mild pumpkin flavor, cinnamon, nutmeg, many pumpkin beers over power the spices this one does not.

Feel - Pretty light feel was surprising, good carbonation, very smooth and drinkable.

Overall – Really solid pumpkin ale great flavors and not overly spiced.

2.97/5  rDev -24%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Newly interested in Dogfish, I've tried a few great ones including the excellent 90 min IPA and had high hopes for this. I've been drinking every pumpkin beer I can find lately seeing how they stack up to each other, favorite so far being Cigar City's "Good Gourd" or perhaps Big Top's "Pumpkin Stiltskin". This one's among the less impressive so far, it's labeled a Brown Ale but tastes more like a musty Pilsner with some IPA tang on top, not what I'm looking for in either a sweet n spicy pumpkin beer nor a round mellow Brown Ale. The danger with pumpkin beers is sometimes they don't taste like pumpkin, just a regular beer with potpourri added. That's happening here a little bit.

3.58/5  rDev -8.4%

Dogfish Head Brewery - I have an unfortunate love-hate relationship with their offerings - some I love, some I hate. This one ends up being a slight mixture of the two...

A clear, orange colored brew reminiscent to a light-pumpkin color, it pours a thick, white head with some staying power and good lacing down the glass. The smell from this beer actually surprised me - it was horrible. It reminded me of a cigarette ash or the smell that emanates from the said tray. I hate to say, I almost considered pawning this off on my son, but I decided to give it a go (and I was glad I did.) The mouthfeel was one of the more complex ones I have come across. It starts coarse then become smooth and then almost watery in texture, but not quite. A very complex feel for me across the board. I noted the pumpkin, some spice and other flavors (thankfully no cigarette ash) and though good, not better than other pumpkin brews I have had. Overall, it's a good beer. Other's may find it's scent appealing, but it will forever make me think twice before pulling one from the shelf.

3.84/5  rDev -1.8%

This fall beer has become an staple for the season, taking a spin on a brown ale by adding pumpkin, brown sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg. Perfect for flannel and foliage, this Dogfish Head seasonal classic paved the way for kooky-ness in the early daze and stands the test of time.

@brewchaz - 4/5

2.39/5  rDev -38.9%
look: 5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.25

Pours a rich copper with delectable, fluffy head. And that's about where it peaks. Aroma has a noticeable fusel alchohol not that really overpowers the rest of the nose - not that there is much else besides some Munich malt & just very distant cinnamon. The flavor is very weak, with only the cinnamon showing any signs of life - the rest is a very bland germanic base that borders on the dreaded cardboad, with that fusel peaking in too. It is also a thin & under attenuated, which isn't what I look for in this kind of beer.

3.79/5  rDev -3.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

A good mix between a pale ale and a wheat ale. Slightly hoppy, not too dark, has a nice scent remniscent to an Oktoberfest-style beer. The pumpkin is light and very warm, the spices give a nice nose to this drink. Very sessionable, and I'm someone who hates pumpkin spice anything.

4.32/5  rDev +10.5%

Dogfish Head's Punkin Ale was an insta buy for me even though I wasn't sure I'd have time to drink (and savor/review) it the night when I bought it. I couldn't resist the adorable and slightly eerie pumpkin design on the four pack this year. I really like how this beer smells, and it has a pleasantly autumnal aftertaste. The initial gulp is surprisingly crisp with some hoppy bitterness that lacks the spice and body that I personally want out of a pumpkin beer, but it's still tasty. Definitely would work alongside a savory meal.

Pumpkin Rating: Mild (but I have had friends respond favorably to this)
Would drink again: For sure, but not before I try other pumpkin beers this season.

3.57/5  rDev -8.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.75

Color on the pour is copper with minimal head. Aroma is slightly pumpkin with some spice notes (cinnamon, clove etc.) The taste is a bit hard to place, maybe an amber ale base with pumpkin spices added? The mouth feel is very fizzy, a bit too much carbonation for my tastes. I've had other pumpkin ales and this one is probably one of better ones. The Balast Point "pumpkin down" is also a good one to try if dig pumpkin ales. I will say that this clocks in at 7% abv but it is really hard to detect, no alcohol heat, it's all very nicely masked.

4.21/5  rDev +7.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.25

L: Pours an amber/mahogany color. Color matches the season.
S: Not overly pumpkiny like I'd imagine, but the taste still comes through.
T: Tastes of ginger bread and graham crackers. Decent spice level, especially on the finish. Pumpkin definitely comes through. The malt is the main focus here. Slightly bitter on the top.
F: Average carbonation. Very smooth and drinkable. Gives you that warm-autumn sensation that every other good pumpkin brew gives you.
O: I like it and would drink it again, but my favorite is Pumking from Southern Tier Brewery.

P.S. I drank this alongside a chicken parmesan, and it seemed to work!

3.75/5  rDev -4.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Dark golden color. Slight spice on the nose and a bit more on the taste. This is a pale ale with pumpkin versus a pumkin ale. An interesting hedge for those who don't want the Full Monty.

4.13/5  rDev +5.6%

Look: Deep orange in color
Smell: cinnamon and nutmeg come in strong
Taste: an interesting blend of pumpkin spice and malt flavor. I like the brown ale as a back to the pumpkin beer
Feel: smooth like pumpkin pie, perfect feel for the seasonal flavors

One of the better pumpkin beers I have had this season.

3.32/5  rDev -15.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

pours relatively light copper with virtually no head. nose is light pumpkin with lots of cinnamon and all spice. taste is folloWing the nose with malt and cinnamon leading the way followed by more spice and finishing with lingering cinnamon and allspice. I dunno. most pumpkin ales seem to go crazy on the cinnamon and nutmeg and allspice and the same goes for this one. im not sure why more beers are not like pumpking. this one seems to light and spice forward. not great. not good. not worth it.

4.4/5  rDev +12.5%

2016 edition:

L -- Lovely mahogany-hued amber. no haziness. off-white head
S -- cinnamon, nutmeg, malt
T -- pumpkin pie spices, caramel, bready malt
F -- lively and nuanced. strong yet balanced flavors from start to finish
O -- excellent ale. one of the best beers I've had

3.21/5  rDev -17.9%

Good beer, not too sweet like most mass-produced pumpkin beers. That being said, as a young person, in a blind taste test i'm not too sure i'd have known it was a pumpkin style beer. Definitely has good spice..nutmeg & a little cinnamon flavor to it though.

Punkin Ale from Dogfish Head Craft Brewery