Punkin Ale | Dogfish Head Craft Brewery

Dogfish Head Craft Brewery
Delaware, United States

Style: Pumpkin Ale

Availability: Fall

A full-bodied brown ale with smooth hints of pumpkin and brown sugar. We brew our Punkin Ale with pumpkin meat, brown sugar and spices. As the season cools, this is the perfect beer to warm up with.

Punkin Ale is named after the seriously off-centered southern Delaware extravaganza Punkin Chunkin (check out some of these Discovery Channel videos of Punkin Chunkin, you gotta see it to believe it!). In fact, Punkin Ale made its debut as it claimed first prize in the 1994 Punkin Chunkin Recipe Contest. Yes, that was a full 6 months before we even opened our doors for business!

Added by NeroFiddled on 09-26-2002

Ratings: 6,645 |  Reviews: 2,139
4.15/5  rDev +5.6%

I hadn’t been able to get ahold of this beer for over 5 years (after enjoying plenty of them back in the day). And the wait is worth it. This remains a world-class pumpkin beer!

Pours an attractive golden amber, with a pleasant head of off-white suds. Lace is loopy and lovely.

Aroma - A rich pumpkin and spice mix, with notes of cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, and brown sugar all making their presences known.

Taste - This is a complex beer, with none of the spices overpowering the pumpkin, which makes me happy after having so many pumpkin ales that don’t get that balance right. With plenty of taste, character, and subtlety, Punkin Ale remains one of my favorite pumpkin ales, and one I’d return to again. Only negative is the price (I paid $13.99 for a 4pk).

4.15/5  rDev +5.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

So this was my First "Foray" into Craft Brew and out of "Piss in a can hood" call it beginners luck or whatever you want but this is a great tasting brew in all respects! its sufficiently bitter enough though not so much that it becomes hard to Drink, no real "up front Pumpkin flavor to speak of though its in the aroma for sure the taste comes into play after you've taken your sip and let your mouth warm back up a bit then you get that Pumpkin or should I say "Punkin Pie" taste creeping in, not a bad drink at all its GREAT like it so much I pick up a case yearly and share it with my Bro's & Ho's respectably of course! =D

4.15/5  rDev +5.6%

I was finally able to track down a four pack of these!

Appearance - Poured into my SA Perfect Pint glass. Pours a dark amber color that, dare I say it, actually reminds me of what a real pumpkin looks like? A quick trot into my living room and I hold up the glass to the pumpkin chilling there, wishing he was made into some great pumpkin beer. Indeed it is true! The color is almost a perfect match. At this point the finger and a half of head is receding at a medium pace, leaving just a bit of lacing on the glass.

Smell - I had barely poured an ounce of this beer before smelling the wonderful spices. Nutmeg, cinnamon, brown sugar, and a definite pumpkin aroma fills the nostrils. My god, did I by mistake liquefy my mother's amazing Thanksgiving pumpkin pie somehow and inadvertently poured it into my SA glass?

Taste - Exactly how it smells. The spices are on the forefront followed by a very "pumpkin pie" taste. The drink finishes with a nice clean malty taste which leaves you just begging for more...and which I indulge myself.

Mouthfeel - Creamy, medium bodied with low carbonation. I was surprised at the low amounts of carbonation when I poured this, but was even more surprised at how well it works with this beer. Overall, a pleasure in the mouth (that's what she said).

Drinkability - Unbelievably so. For 7% abv and being a pumpkin beer, I have to physically restrain myself (what a great picture that must paint) from running to my beer cabinet and opening another. Foolishly I only purchased a single four pack whilst in Huntington Beach for my good friends bachelor party...not realizing that if I did not have more self control the four pack would be gone as of tonight. Instead, I somehow have to make these last me until Thanksgiving. Perhaps I will give two to my fiancée and make her hide them where I won't find them. Anyway, all in all this was a great surprise and made me realize how cruddy the other pumpkin beers, that I had thought up until now, were somewhat good. I will seek this out next year for sure!

4.15/5  rDev +5.6%

Picked up a four pack for the first time this year. Poured it into a clean pint glass.

A. It poured a clear brown with about 1 inch of slightly off-white head which left some lacing as it settled.

S. Very appetizing smell that brings up some cinnamon and earthy aromas.

T. Good flavor profile that begins with a light yeast flavor followed by cinnamon and pumpkin pie spice flavors.

M. Light and smooth with some carbonation as it hits the tongue. Leaves a pleasant aftertaste that reminds me of eating a nice stew.

D. Always a good choice this time of year however no more than a couple at a time.

Ba Review #63
Served On: 9/12/2011
Glassware: Shaker Pint

Well it’s that time of year for the pumpkin seasonals to start showing up on the shelves. I saw this one and snagged two 4 packs while I could.

Look: Poured a fairly clear orangeish copper color – tinges of yellow around the edges. Head was a white layer of foam that didn’t hang around long. Very active carbonation bubbles made their way to the top.

Smell: I picked up on the typical pumpkin pie spices. Brown sugar, allspice, cinnamon etc… Also a lager quality in the nose, which I think is nice for pumpkin ale.

Taste: Biscuity yeast hit for a split second and then a semisweet pumpkin faded into a nice continuous spice with carbonation tingling the tongue. A warming sensation became part of the palate after the first few sips. The finish was a semisweet brown sugar with spices lingering for a minute or so.

This is a very enjoyable and complex pumpkin ale. It was not overpowering and definitely not too sweet like so many other pumpkin ales. If you find this – be sure to grab it up.

4.15/5  rDev +5.6%

Poured a rich golden amber color, with a one finger head that quickly faded. Slight lacing on glass.

Aroma of pumpkin pie and malt. Nice, pleasant armoma

Tastes of pumpkin pie with a hint of hops on the finish. You taste the spices more than anything else, since pumpkin itself has very little flavor anyway.

Nice mouthfeel, wasn't too carbonated. Not too thin.

Overall, its the best pumpkin beer I've tried so far.

4.15/5  rDev +5.6%

Wow, I enjoyed this beer so much from last October that I had to save one for a little while. After tasting this beer again, I am blown away. I have had a few Pumpkin Ales, but this one is hands down the best!
A: Pours a beautiful amber/brown color with a decent head that leaves a good lace around the glass
S: Amazing combination of spices, nutmeg, pumpkin, and sweet notes
T: WOW, perfect!! Perfect balance of pumpkin flavors, spices to give it a nice little spicy bite, nutmeg, and sweet notes to balance it all
MF: Medium in body
D: High simply because it is sooo delicious...Fall is my new favorite time of the year!

4.15/5  rDev +5.6%

Cold Louisiana night and decided to pour this one while watching Sunday night football.
Poured an amber/orange color with frothy white head one finger thick into pint glass
Smells of sugar, malt, spice, pumpkin
Taste of brown sugar malts, nutmeg, spice, cloves, pumpkin is perfect..not too strong
Mouthfeel is nice and smooth, almost creamy
Drinkability - I love this beer for the fall time, I will try my hardest to get this beer for fall time every year.
Good job once again Dogfish Head

4.15/5  rDev +5.6%

Solid, clean amber body with sparse carbonation rising to nice 2-finger latte head. Decent honeycomb lacing.

A little soapiness at first with hearty pumpkin spice, mild vanilla tones, moderate malt scent and minimal traces of hops.

This has a good amber malt profile, piney hops, ample carbonation and a mild pumpkin spice tone that has strength but is not overpowering. Doesn't have the typical DFH off-putting earth I tend to experience. Very, very good.

Very decent mouthfeel-strong presence and full malt and pumpkin spice. Ample carbonation cuts the heft and finish is full without aftertaste.

Drinks cleanly. Strong but tight. What a pleasant surprise!

4.15/5  rDev +5.6%

Poured from a bottle into a perfect pint.

A- pours a nice dark shade of clear orange with a 2 finger white head. Head sticks around forever and ever, which I approve of

S- lots of cinnamon, pumpkin, and nutmeg...smells like a spicy pumpkin pie. Really pleasant

T- pumpkin that's sweetened up by the cinnamon and nutmeg...doesn't lie about what it is. I like the sweetness, it helps balance the flavor a lot

M- body is actually a little thick. Works with the sweetness well, though

D- I'd get horribly sick of this if it was around the full year, but for a couple months...yeah, I'll drink it. Nice for the season

4.15/5  rDev +5.6%

Dogfish Punkin Ale is the perfect beer for the changing season. It is only available from September first until around Thanksgiving. This award winning full-bodied brew is made from only the finest ingredients, which include pumpkin meat and brown sugar, make the perfect recipe for a cold fall night - not for the light drinker. A bit more pricey than most, but well worth it. If you haven’t had it before nows your chance.

Collage girls GOOD drink beer:

4.15/5  rDev +5.6%

before i started trying pumpkin beers i viewed them as festive drink-a-few-days-a-year things that you wouldn't want to have more often. dfh punkin, and to an extent weyerbacher (which is starting to grow on me), prove that conception was inaccurate. right now i'm thinking 6 months out of the year (at least) the mood is liable to strike, and it will suck when i can't run to the store and satisfy the craving. better go out and get some more...

dfh punkin ale pours an orangey dark amber. the head is short and ense, fading to a cap and leaving lace here and there. the carbonation looks to be of high quality.
smell is of ... pumpkin! pumpkin pie spices all around, and pumpkin through and through. this is the stuff.
taste is pumpkiny as well, and very well integrated into an overall ale experience. the spices are around but they don't annoy you (as post road can). there is also a rich, diffuse sweetness that complements and never offends.
the mouthfeel is rich, smooth and creamy, even more so than weyerbacher. very appropriate imo. carbonation is perfect. it's like eating half a pumpkin pie while drinking a carefully matched ale, only better.
i often find myself a bit disappointed with dfh, particularly with the quirkier brews. not this time. this is by far the best pumpkin beer i have had. must stock up.
wonder if i should top it with a little whipped cream...

v: oz1 al3 3.175

4.15/5  rDev +5.6%

Finally! A pumpkin beer to love.

The other seven pumpkin beers I've tried in the past two weeks have all been saddled with an off-putting chemical astringency. Probably has something to do with adding pumpkin to the fermentation. Dogfish Head has somehow figured out how to avoid it.

Those others also all suffered from Disneyland Syndrome: overdone pumpkin flavor to the point of gimickry, plus cloying sweetness.

DH Punkin instead offers a great fizzy carbonation to keep the heavy mouthfeel and starchy sweetness in check.

4.15/5  rDev +5.6%

awesome seasonal brew, definitely a nice pumpkin note complimented by subtle spice, and sugary sweetness. overall remains very tasty and enjoyable throughout!

4.15/5  rDev +5.6%

I've had numerous bottles of this autumnal puppy and a few glasses on draught...and thus it's time to review a glass poured from the bottle in the comfort of my home. I already know this is my #2 fave pumpkin ale...when does DFH disappoint?

Pours the color of autumn, falling leaves, a crimson sunset color with a good amount of thick lacing. Bready pumpkin pie, nutmeg and raisins fill the nose. Flavor is reminiscent of Irish soad bread (could be the raisins again) and darker fruits, a hint of anise(?) to go along with a so-unartificial pumpkin flavor and spices. Hops and alcohol are present in the finish; a nice compliment to the chewy malt. Finishes slightly dry, leaving you wanting more, provided you're into the kickass pumpkin ale you're imbibing. Light carbonation, utterly smooth and easy drinking. Being that the Southampton version isn't widely available (my true fave of the style), this is the standard. Great stuff.

4.15/5  rDev +5.6%

This beer poured out a very clear light amber brown color and had a thinning white head of foam. The aroma is special to this beer – Heavy with spices, including pumpkin pie spices, cinnamon, cardamom, clove and nutmeg. It’s an earthy and festive aroma. Perfect for Autumn. The same things that come out in the aroma transfer directly to the flavor during the first sip. The spices are definitely in the forefront here. There’s some hop bitterness and some malt body - it reminded me of a spicy and light nut brown ale. An excellent seasonal, and a beer that doesn’t hide what it truly is.

4.15/5  rDev +5.6%

I have to say right off the start that pumpkin beers never really inspired me. My girlfriend however loves them, and in trying many samples from many breweries, we've come to believe Punkin' Ale from DFH is by far the best. Built on a foundation of a rich brown ale and with 7%abv strength this is serious beer. Some brewers use only pumpkin and others use only pumpkin spices(nutmeg,cinnimon, brown sugar). DFH uses both in great quantity for the ultimate flavor and aroma of pumpkin pie. I also love the bright orange 4-pack. It makes it easy to find this beer as it flies off the shelves at all my local beer shops.

4.15/5  rDev +5.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

12oz bottle poured into a curved pint glass.

A- a nice medium amber with orange hues. Not much lacing. The off-white head dissipates kinda quick.

S- some light pumpkin pie scents. A little alcohol as well

T- The show begins. Finally a pumpkin ale with some ACTUAL PUMPKIN FLAVOR. Not just cinnamon or nutmeg. What a concept. Don't get me wrong, the brown sugar/cinnamon/nutmeg spices are still really, really nice accents. A little alcohol comes through. The finish has a very distinctive DFH taste to it, likely from their house yeast.

M- Medium bodied, plenty of carbonation Not a mediocre thin bodied brew as most pumpkin ales are.

O- My favorite pumpkin ale, bar none. While fall brings lots of delicious Octoberfests, I really look forward to this brew. Long live the king.

4.15/5  rDev +5.6%

A: Orangish amber color. A 1-inch off white head that quickly dissipated. No lacing.

S: Lots going on here, lots of bread malts, cinnamon, nutmeg, pumpkin, brown sugar, all-spice. A good mixture and combination.

T: The taste is very complex yet it works. Lots of brown sugar and spice. It really gives a spicy pumpkin taste, but not overly spicy.

M: A full bodied beer, which leaves a little spicy and bitter flavor on the palate.

D: A well balanced seasonal beer. If you enjoy pumpkin pie and pumpkin flavors, this is one of the best ale's I have had.

4.15/5  rDev +5.6%

Streaming bubble active body holds up a light tan head that mostly hazes over (into long-lasting drifts) a bold orange body. I thought to myself that it was a good color for a pumpkin ale.

Allspice rocks the nostrils and made me think that this would taste like a particularly spicy pumpkin pie. If there was such a thing as allspice candy, it would taste like this beer smells. Also some dry thickness in the background.

Tastes not nearly as spicy or sweet as the nose portended. Round and excellently mellow. Taste is set up as a combination of sweet and flavorful and dry and hoppy. Full mouth flavor of nutmeg, cinnamon and allspice--tinged with sweetness quickly shifts over to a spicy, dry hop aftertaste. Sweet malt medium body. Very balanced brew and the alcohol being mostly imperceptible. Mellow and mild.

4.15/5  rDev +5.6%

Served cold in a nonic at the Rehobeth brewpub.
A - a dark copper/ light caramel brown w/ a cream colored head.. The head is small and leaves a thin film of lace.

S - Potent odors of spice. Pumpkin pie blend of ginger clove and brown sugar scents. A nutmeg and cinnamon aroma that is very aromatic greets the nostrils.

M - Full feel -malty w/ spicy finish. Very dense when held in the mouth, a nice dose of pumpkin vege effect.

T - Great flavors abound w/ sweet pie-like pumpkin. Nutty and spiced w/ a buttery malty flavor. Lots of spice in the taste, cinnamon and ginger seem to be the dominant flavors. Deep malts and brown sugar sweetness mark the taste as it finishes sweet.

D - Very tasty, but a bit much for more than 2 or 3 I would say. The combination of the spices and sweetness make it not something you would want a session of. I enjoyed 2 pints and it was worthy of that in one sitting. A great example of the Pumpkin ale style. Dogfish head doesn't shy away from a true full pumpkin pie like flavor. Not just a spiced ale - this is the real deal. It tastes like I would love to make a pie from the leftover ale-soaked pumpkin meat.

4.15/5  rDev +5.6%

I have had a few pumpkin brews, and this is by far my favorite. I will look forward to next year's release and will better stock up.

It is a nice dark brown with an orangish hue. It is fairly malty in flavor with hints of pumpkin and the typical spices associated with pumpkin, but it isn't very up front to where it tastes like you are drinking pie, and it is sweet by not overly sweet. It smells as it tastes, so no surprises.

The mouthfeel isn't overly carbonated, and has a slightly creamy feel. I think this is highly drinkable and perfect for fall.

Punkin Ale from Dogfish Head Craft Brewery