Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Delaware, United States
dogfish.com

Style: Pumpkin Ale

Availability: Fall

A full-bodied brown ale with smooth hints of pumpkin and brown sugar. We brew our Punkin Ale with pumpkin meat, brown sugar and spices. As the season cools, this is the perfect beer to warm up with.

Punkin Ale is named after the seriously off-centered southern Delaware extravaganza Punkin Chunkin (check out some of these Discovery Channel videos of Punkin Chunkin, you gotta see it to believe it!). In fact, Punkin Ale made its debut as it claimed first prize in the 1994 Punkin Chunkin Recipe Contest. Yes, that was a full 6 months before we even opened our doors for business!

Added by NeroFiddled on 09-26-2002

3.72/5  rDev -5.3%

3.5/5  rDev -10.9%

3.8/5  rDev -3.3%

3.75/5  rDev -4.6%

This is the second time I've had this in the last five years, only because it's the second time I've seen it in Colorado. It pours really light for a supposed brown ale, just looks coppery with light head like a typical pumpkin ale. Nose is cinnamon, nutmeg, sweet and earthy, but I do not get profound pumpkin aroma, mostly spice. The flavor profile is similar, but I will say this tastes pretty hot for a 7%. Carbonation holds up really nicely on this one, a very lively ale.

Overall, I think $12 for the 4-pack of this is pretty unwarranted for what you get, and you'd be better off getting a six of a number of pumpkins that I would consider better (or, get a six of DFH Indian Brown!). I think this ale relies heavily on ABV and the DFH name, and doesn't really stand out so much in the lineup of pumpkin ales. This is just a standard pumpkin ale to me with more alcohol; lacks the complexity or distinction that would land it in a $12 4-pack.

2014

this year has an excellent earthy punkin nose. The appearance is just right a moderately thin copper color. Mouthfeel…silkily!. Body…mod-fulnessl. Flavor is moderately pumpkin, light toasty biscuit, a bit of molasses at the end, and finishes with a bit of cinnamon and a lot of clove.

Makes me reminisce of a late fall evening at early sunset over a blue-ridge mountain range.

cheers!

4.25/5  rDev +8.1%

I'd say this is one of the better pumpkins that I have had. I've had quite a few. Basically doing a buying spree this year on pumpkin ales.

Actually, took another sip. This might take the top spot in my opinion ... for now.

In general though, the pumpkin ales never seem to be that perfect blend of pumpkin and spice.

4.28/5  rDev +8.9%