Love Belgian Beer?

Join us Sep 17 in Portland, Maine for Return of the Belgian Beer Fest, featuring hundreds of authentic Belgian beers and Belgian-inspired offerings!

Tickets + more: beeradvocate.com/belgian

Punkin Ale | Dogfish Head Craft Brewery

YOUR RATING = None |
Punkin AlePunkin Ale

Dogfish Head Craft Brewery
Delaware, United States | website

Style: Pumpkin Ale

Availability: Fall

A full-bodied brown ale brewed with real pumpkin, brown sugar, allspice, cinnamon & nutmeg.

Added by NeroFiddled on 09-26-2002

Reviews: 2,070 | Ratings: 6,408
3.97/5  rDev +1.5%

This beer poured orange with a tan head that faded quickly. The beer continued to bubble nicely.

Nose: hops, nutmeg. cloves, brown sugar, and all spice all come through well and present themselves in the taste as well. The hops are sharp and contribute to a slightly dry finish.

Mouthfeel was tangy and clean.

This is another good offering from Dogfish head. Some people have told me it's too hoppy, but I don't think so. Decide for yourself, because it's worth checking out.

4.97/5  rDev +27.1%

I normally love Punkin Ale anyway, but they had it cask-conditioned at their brewpub a few weeks ago. Oh Heaven, you have found me! Same great punkin ale with flavors of brown sugar, spice, and autumn. But with superb creamy smoothness and a hint of maple syrup from the cask conditioning. Just line them up!

4.48/5  rDev +14.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

I am a huge pumpkin beer fan, and this is one of my top three. Pours a beautiful hazy orange color with a finger of head. Smell is amazing. Nutmeg, clove, allspice, along with pumpkin, dominate the smell. Tastes almost like it smells. Along with the spices and pumpkin, there is a caramelized vanilla taste. I would have preferred just a little more pumpkin flavor. Ends with some malty hop bitterness to round out. Feel is medium-full with a little carbonation. A very well rounded pumpkin beer. Perfect for fall/autumn.

3.07/5  rDev -21.5%

well, this beer looks great ... reddish brown with a great tan head that sticks around for a while. moderate lacing.

great nose, too. lots of allspice and nutmeg, with hops holding up the rear.

thinnish mouthfeel, not horrible but not great, either.

hmmm. a definite lack of malt or pumpkin in the palate. kind of just hopwater with spices dumped in generously. a massive disappointment. they did a great job with the finishing touches, they just forgot to lay the foundation. i struggled to finish this one, and i wanted so much to like it. the finish, like the palate, was dominated by spices. forgive me for mixing baked goods metaphors here, but the icing on the cake doesn't count for much if there's no cake.

this brewery can and has done much better than this. by all means try it, but don't go buying a case without tasting it first.

cheers,

s.d.

4.15/5  rDev +6.1%

Poured a rich golden amber color, with a one finger head that quickly faded. Slight lacing on glass.

Aroma of pumpkin pie and malt. Nice, pleasant armoma

Tastes of pumpkin pie with a hint of hops on the finish. You taste the spices more than anything else, since pumpkin itself has very little flavor anyway.

Nice mouthfeel, wasn't too carbonated. Not too thin.

Overall, its the best pumpkin beer I've tried so far.

4.02/5  rDev +2.8%

A: Bronze/Orange with a finger width of head and a lace remaining throughout

S: hint of pumpkin, spices, nutmeg, and hops, but overall not very odorous, which is strange for a pumpkin ale

T: I was surprised by the hoppiness of the beer, and the pumpkin and spices were there but did not dominate the flavor...tasted more like a pale ale than a pumpkin ale

M: decent carbonation, creamy and smooth

D: nice autumn beer with just the right amount of pumpkin and spice flavoring

3.27/5  rDev -16.4%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

What a strange beer! Probably good with some kind of dessert, but on its own, I get too many strange flavors. Hard to compare with the style since I haven't had any good pumkin beers.

Looks pretty good coming out of the bottle. Not much head or lacing to speak of. Copper brown color with moderate bubbling.

Smell is pumkin (I guess), some brown sugar, and lemon.

Taste gets more into the brown sugar and spices. I can definitely pick out cinnamon and some caramel. Aftertaste is a little plastic and cloying.

Mouthfeel is medium and slightly sticky.

I definitely would not drink more than one!

3.04/5  rDev -22.3%

I had this beer on tap at the Grey Lodge.
It poured a dark golden with a small rim of head that lingered for a short time.
The smell was of chewing gum that you get from the gumball machine for a nickel and some really awkward spices that didn’t mesh well together.
It tasted of light subtle spices with a tangy afterthought followed by hints of bubble gum.
The mouth feel was smooth and it coated my mouth. It also had energetic carbonation.
I don’t think I would order this one again. I didn’t care for it in the bottle and I don’t care for it on tap.

Poured from a 12oz bottle into my pint glass. 2009 edition

A-Lightly pumpkin colored with a finger of head and good lacing throughout the brew.

S- Smelled of cinnamon, nutmeg, and pumpkin of course. Like the previous review read not much alcohol at first whiff.

T- Taste a lot like Raison D'être, both of which are brown ales with sugar. Some pumpkin on the tongue but not much like some of the other pumpkin ales. However still very good.

M-Medium bodied full of flavor and spices everywhere.

D- Excellent drinkability, not too much carbonation. These come in a 4 pack but I could have easily consumed twice that amount.

3.89/5  rDev -0.5%

Poured into my trusty PBR pint glass...

I measure pumpkin beers against a Pumking standard, and that's a tall order. This stands up pretty well to what I want in a pumpkin beer, though. It doesn't have the extra spicy and savory punch of Pumking, taking a more laid-back approach. It looks okay, nothing to write home about. It smells more like beer than pumpkin, with malt, nutmeg and clove being dominant. Tastewise, there's a lot of nutmeg and some cardamom thrown in for good measure. It goes down pretty well, if a little watery, and leaves a tangy taste behind. I'd have paid for the four-pack, even if it's a little pricey, and I'll probably have this again before the season's out.

4.18/5  rDev +6.9%

Pours a lovely rich copper with a white frothy head that lingers pretty well. This is a pretty beer.

The noes is of the cinnamon and spices with the pumpkin lingering nicely in the background.

Taste is first of pumpkin. While by no means overly pronounced, it was stronger than I was expecting. The pumpkin fades nicely into the cinnamon and spices. Overall it's rather sweet. What I particularly like about this beer is that it definitely has a strong malt balance, and stands as a good beer with pumpkin as opposed to a gimmicky pumpkin beer.

The mouthfeel is slightly creamy and nicely carbonated.

This is an awesome beer that screams fall. It is delicious, but because it's such a unique taste it's not necessarily one that you would want a bunch of in one sitting. I guess that's nice seeing as it comes in a four pack.

3.85/5  rDev -1.5%

S- Served from a chilled 12 oz bottle into a pint glass.

A- Dark golden orange color. Full bodied ale. About a finger or twos worth of white head that leaves a nice lacing around the brim of the glass.

S- Malted aroma with hints of allspice, nutmeg, and pumpkin spice.

T- Crisp clean taste of malted spices, nutmeg and pumpkins. One of the better tasting pumpkin beers that I've sampled.

M- Moderate amount of carbonation. Crisp clean finish with a minimal bite.

D- A nice full bodied ale that should be enjoyed, not chugged. Very enjoyable to drink.

4.75/5  rDev +21.5%

Appearance: A surprise -- very clear with orange to amber color. Little bit of lacing with a thin white head.

Aroma: Terrific mix of spices (fall spices, like nutmeg, cinnamon, etc.)

Taste: I was surprised. It didn't taste like a true pumpkin ale, in that the pumpkin taste was very subtle..comes in afterwards. The hops balanced well with plenty of fall spices, and the subtle pumpkin/fruitiness at the end rounded out the taste very well.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied, with a good amount -- just right - of carbonation. Very smooth beer, all in all.

Overall: For me, this was a fantastic beer all around. I have very little bad to say about it, other than that I almost wonder if the name should be more like an "autumn beer," or "fall brew," or something like that, rather than a pumpkin beer -- although pumpkin surely comes in at the end. Still, I'm giving it a 4.75/5 so I'm searching for an issue, here. In reality, It's the type of beer that would compliment a heart beef stew and work perfectly on a cold late-autumn day. The spices, hops, and carbonation are all perfect for me in this and the hint of pumpkin makes it that much better. I could go on and on, but this is a beer that ranks very high on my list of "must haves."

4.9/5  rDev +25.3%

A- Amber Hue, thick head, "crisp" looking

S- Cinnamon and sugar smell- like really good pot-pourri

T- Delicious...like drinking a gingerbread cookie. The alcohol content is very well disguised by the taste.

M- Leaves a tingly taste on the tongue, very pleasant

D- Slightly to thick and desserty tasting to drink too many...but hey that's why they come in a 4 pack.

This is an excellent beer, and one I will be purchasing again in the future.

3.65/5  rDev -6.6%

Quite a tasty spiced beer. I can really taste the allspice and cinnamon flavors the whole time the beer is in my mouth; I like the creaminess and the carbonation as I think they add to the experience. Smells OK, nothing to write home about but certainly tasty. This beer reminds me of Harpoon's Winter Warmer, one of my favorite holiday brews.

4.2/5  rDev +7.4%

The appearnace on 1st pour was a dark amber color with a good head . The aroma was full of malt and pumpkin pie spice and something extra maybe pumpkin . The taste is great with a mix of malt and spices . The finish kind of lingures inviting another sip . The body is not as heavy as I thought it might be with the pumpkin in it but it is very smooth . An excellent 1st pumpkin beer of the year .

4.32/5  rDev +10.5%

A- Dark amber color, half inch head, lacing that sticks to the sides.

S- Nutmeg, pumpkin, spices. Reminds me of Fall, Thanks giving and pumpkin pie. Could be made into a candle

T/M- Tastes like pumpkin, nutmeg, and malt. Drinks like a brown ale and goes down easy. Medium mouth feel and medium carbonation.

My favorite pumpkin ale that I wish I had all year round. When fall comes around I always pick up this beer. This is another example of quality dogfish head ales.

4.35/5  rDev +11.3%

A- Poured into pint glass golden brown in colour, also sparkling. Head was very nice and foamy but dissipated quickly.

S- Very Malty, with heavy pumpkin smell. Also somewhat minty smell, with lots of spices. Cinnamon and Cloves come to th front mostly.

T- Malts are very nutty "brown" tasting. The Pumpkin is wonderful, not overpowering but also not hidden. The spices are also detectable. The combination makes this beer very light in texture but very heavy in flavour. No Hop taste is detectable.

D- This beer is the best Pumpkin beer I've had. Tastes just like Pumpkin pie, but better cause it's beer!

4.22/5  rDev +7.9%

The beer pours with a good creamy off white head. The head starts out pretty thick, but dissipates fairly quickly, leaving a thin foamy head for most of the drink. Moderate lacing on the glass.

As for color, the beer pours a golden, orange. Lots of small bubbles drifting up form the bottom keep a thin layer of foam on top.

The aroma of this brew is very nice. It's like inhaling a pumpkin pie. The smells are dead on what the label tells you, "brown sugar, allspice, cinnamon & nutmeg." Very spicy nose, some traces of malt and a slight breadyness as well. Overall, the spices take the front of the nose.

I think the most impressive part of this beer's taste is the way you can taste of the flavors, but none of them are overpowering. You can taste the pumpkin, the spices, and all of the sweetness of the sugars, but all are very balanced. With some seasonals you are done with one, with this one you crave another.

Great fall pumpkin beer. The folks at Dogfish Head nailed this one.

3.98/5  rDev +1.8%

I had this on tap and from a bottle during the fall season

First off I liked it, it tasted alittle bit more like beer than Pumpking, but had more pumpkin flavor than some other pumpkin brews I tried.

Appearance: Orangish, good head, the head may have been fuller at poor, this thing could have sat for a bit before I got it, so reasonable retention...

Smell: spices, I think, all spice maybe, coriander, cinnamon, cloves? It smelled good, but not great. 3.5

Taste: Winner...this was good, the spice level was just right, not too much pie, not too much beer, the flavor saturated my palate from start to finish, if you swirl it around in your mouth you'll pick up on the spices as well as the sweetness from the sugars and malts, but it's well bittered with hops to prevent it from being too sweet.

Mouthfeel: About right for the style, thinner than a stout, heavier than water. I can't say too much here, except that it was carbonated at about the right level.

Drinkability: 12oz at a time is enough for me, It's drinkable but not like something I want to go right back too when I finish my first one, the reasonably high alcohol would prevent me from trying to make a night out of these, but the snifter I had lasted me through my meal and the 2 ipas my friend drank with his dinner.

3.76/5  rDev -3.8%

Was I the only guy who smelled rancid ham when opening the bottle? Just disconcerting.

Pouring it out the head was good and thick, leaving good bands around a clean glass.

The taste was quite sweet- common for an Autumn beer, mixed with a hearty helping of spices, the strongest of which was nutmeg.

Quite drinkable, alcohol gave a nice kiss on the way down.

Decent brew all around.

3.26/5  rDev -16.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

It pours a light orange/amber color with a lot of clarity. A little head appears and leaves a little lacing down the glass which eventually falls.
The smell is not sweet at all. A lot of malt. It smells like a big brown ale with a little bit of pumpkin spice in it. The pumpkin spice is faint.
The sweetness hits first. There's just a little bit of it, though. After that comes the big brown. It has a lot of flavor to it, but the majority of the flavor isn't from the pumpkin spice. A lot of malts with just a bit of the spice. Not too bad.
Overall, I like a pumpkin beer to be a little sweeter. If you don't like the sweetness of a lot of other pumpkin beers, this is for you. It has a lot of carbonation and a nice strong flavor. Not bad, but I prefer some other pumpkin beers to this.

4.44/5  rDev +13.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A - Bronze color with a quickly fading head. The color seems a slight hazy.

S - Pumpkin spices (nutmeg, slight ginger, allspice). I am also picking up some apple in the background.

T - Very nice! Just enough pumpkin and spice but still tastes like an ale and not a flavored beer. On the front end I get something like pumpkin pie without being sweet, and a dark or roasty malt flavor. On the back end I gather some mild hoppiness. I am also getting a warmth in the back of the throat and in the pit of my stomach. I can drink this, feel like a man and not and beer hating chick who ordered some mid nineties era fruit beer.

M - Medium bodied, slightly creamy texture, solid flavor (there is nothing thin about the flavor - no detection of any scintilla of watery character).

D - Gulping this one down too but in all fairness, since I've started drinking beer for the purpose of enjoying the flavor, I've noticed that I've been gulping nearly every beer I drink.

4.03/5  rDev +3.1%

A - Pours a dark brown with a hint of a tan in the head. Looks very inviting; like the season.

S - Spices and a hint of pumpkin.

T - Spices at first with pumpkin following. Yeast in the back.

M - Medium and a bit of creaminess. Touch of carbonation.

D - Could have a few.

This is definitely my favorite pumpkin beer. Dogfish really follow through with the spicing. Brooklyn and Shipyard have a bit more of a flat taste compared to this.

3.94/5  rDev +0.8%

A and I picked this up at Downtown in Davis Sq. We are trying as many pumpkin ales as we can find, and when we saw a Dogfish Head we knew we had to try. The beer is a light amber tea color with a head that does not last long enough. The smell starts off with a nice bublgum/pumpkin spice/alcohol presence.

The taste has a high maltiness followed quickly by a bit of pumpkin and spice and then hop flavor. The 7% abv gives the mouthfeel a nice sharpness. This is the best bottled pumpkin ale I have tried this season. I would like to taste this in draught form to see how it compares with other pumpkins I have had on tap.

Punkin Ale from Dogfish Head Craft Brewery