Punkin Ale | Dogfish Head Craft Brewery

Delaware, United States
dogfish.com

Style: Pumpkin Ale

Availability: Fall

A full-bodied brown ale with smooth hints of pumpkin and brown sugar. We brew our Punkin Ale with pumpkin meat, brown sugar and spices. As the season cools, this is the perfect beer to warm up with.

Punkin Ale is named after the seriously off-centered southern Delaware extravaganza Punkin Chunkin (check out some of these Discovery Channel videos of Punkin Chunkin, you gotta see it to believe it!). In fact, Punkin Ale made its debut as it claimed first prize in the 1994 Punkin Chunkin Recipe Contest. Yes, that was a full 6 months before we even opened our doors for business!

Added by NeroFiddled on 09-26-2002

Ratings: 6,561 |  Reviews: 2,112

4.16/5  rDev +6.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Appearance:
Burnt orange color, a little haze. Lots of bubbles rising up. Nice frothy head.

Aroma:
Bready, pumpkin, spices, brown sugar.

Taste:
Mostly bready, rich, toasted, nutty. Cooked pumpkin, almost like a pumpkin pie, spices, cinnamon, nutmeg. Faint crisp-bitter towards the finish. Body is medium, creamy, slight sharp carbonation, smooth.

Verdict:
This beer is exceptional. Tasty, very smooth, alcohol is well hidden.

3.57/5  rDev -8.7%

Sampled on draft the beginning of September. This is the 'keep the glass' draft special at Winking Lizard this month.

Pours a slightly cloudy, apple cider color. A tan head sticks to the glass, but is not that impressive. Smell is sweet, with cinnamon, nutmeg, and another potpourri scent. I get brown sugar at first taste, of course with gobs of pumpkin, which fades into a bitter and quite spicy finish. I'd like a more rounded pumpkin flavor. Feel is oddly sharp. Just a little too quick in its complexity, but it paired very well with a mushroom burger and pizza. I've had it on its own in the bottle too, and it makes a decent dessert beer. Overall, just not my sort of brew, but it's a good representative of the style.

3.5/5  rDev -10.5%

3.44/5  rDev -12%

Let me start by saying that I am a big fan of pumpkin ales. I've been wanting to have this beer for a while. Just arrived at Cloverleaf tavern for the fall.

A: Pours an orange-amber body with a small, white head that dissipates to a very minimal lacing. Even the lacing disappears after a few sips.

S: A strong smell of all-spice an some cloves. Pumpkin was also present, but not one of the main smells.

T: There were hints of pumpkin in this spiced up beer. A lot of nutmeg in the aftertaste. Hints of cloves and all-spice in the taste, but nutmeg was by far the dominant spice.

M: A decent, full-bodied mouthfeel that was pretty smooth.

D: This beer is ok, but I would not say it was that drinkable. A lot of spices, especially nutmeg, eventually made me feel kind of sick and dizzy (and this was my first beer of the night!). The spices definitely got to me, and I'd be surprised if anyone could pound a bunch of these in a row.

4.53/5  rDev +15.9%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

What an awesome beer. I had cases of this stuff last year, and got it on tap every chance I had, where it really shines. I can't wait for September to roll around to get more. What a marvelous combination of nutmeg, cinnamon, cardamom, vanilla, and other lovely stuff. It's got a bit of a bite, and the flavors are strong. Some might not be able to handle much of this at a time, but this could be a daily beer for me if only it were brewed 365 days a year.

3.75/5  rDev -4.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A:Clear Copper color with no head.

S: Smell is more malt than pumpkin. Hints of hop and pumpkin, but the malt and brown sugar dominate the smell.

T: Surprisingly hoppy profile. The pumpkin is there, but it is not abundant. To me this is more of a malty ale than a pumpkin ale. Sweetness from the sugar and hints of pumpkin compliment the malty profile.

F: Medium body and a medium to high level of carbonation

O: Good, and better than most pumpkin ales I have had. Waiting to try Pumpkinatora and Pumpking, but this does not quite match the flavor of Whole Hog Pumpkin. Good, but not quite worth the price and slight hassle to track down IMO.

4.25/5  rDev +8.7%

3.5/5  rDev -10.5%

a: dark pumpkin orange. thin head.

s: cinnamon, cloves, pumpkin, nutmeg.

t: bready flavor up front. Finishes sweet with spicy notes. Not really tasting any pumpkin at all.

m: medium to high carbonation.

o: My first pumpkin ale. A bit disappointed as I wish the pumpkin was more predominant. Not a bad beer in itself but not something I'd go out of my way to try in the future. I'll have to give some other pumpkin ales a try.

3.85/5  rDev -1.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Amber orange, crystal clear with a big frothy head that has solid retention. Rings of lacing as it falls slowly to a ring during consumption. Smell is quite large and full of, well, pumpkin. It's pumpkin pie, no doubt. Amazingly, it has scent similar to a crust of the pie as well with its bready, doughy characteristic. Some light cinnamon and brown sugar. Taste has a bit much cinnamon for me. It's pretty harsh up front. There is still some brown sugar and other spices. Far from what I picked up in the nose in terms of balance. It's here and there with the flavors, never balancing them as one but showcasing them seemingly one at a time. Cinnamon up front for sure along with other spices, a little sugary sweetness and bready finish. Mouthfeel is well carbonated and smooth. Light dryness in the finish, maybe from the spice? The aftertaste brings memories of the crust, which isn't as apparent in the initial flavor. Damn, if only this lived up to the nose. Still not a bad pumpkin beer by any means. It's kind of big. I would enjoy one at a time but more than that is just too much.

4.16/5  rDev +6.4%