Punkin Ale | Dogfish Head Craft Brewery

Delaware, United States
dogfish.com

Style: Pumpkin Ale

Availability: Fall

A full-bodied brown ale with smooth hints of pumpkin and brown sugar. We brew our Punkin Ale with pumpkin meat, brown sugar and spices. As the season cools, this is the perfect beer to warm up with.

Punkin Ale is named after the seriously off-centered southern Delaware extravaganza Punkin Chunkin (check out some of these Discovery Channel videos of Punkin Chunkin, you gotta see it to believe it!). In fact, Punkin Ale made its debut as it claimed first prize in the 1994 Punkin Chunkin Recipe Contest. Yes, that was a full 6 months before we even opened our doors for business!

Added by NeroFiddled on 09-26-2002

Ratings: 6,638 |  Reviews: 2,138
3.5/5  rDev -10.9%

4.25/5  rDev +8.1%

3.75/5  rDev -4.6%

3.8/5  rDev -3.3%

Appearance - Very slightly hazy. Almost crystal clear. Nice amber color. Not much carbonation at all.
Nose - Nice aromatic beer. I smell pumpkin and spices.
Taste - This beer is quite malty and cookie-like with nice accents of pumpkin, cinnamon, nutmeg, and allspice. It's a little sweet for my taste, but still quite good. Is it just me, or is there also just a slight touch of mint on the palate (probably from the hops)? Mouthfeel is a bit too syrupy. It's heavy on the palate. I can't imagine drinking more than one.
Overall - A nice pumpkin beer. Almost certainly one of the best available, but in my opinion it falls far short of the offerings from Schlafly's and Southern Tier. I'm glad I tried it, but at this price, I doubt I'll buy it again.

4.5/5  rDev +14.5%