Ta Henket | Dogfish Head Craft Brewery

Dogfish Head Craft Brewery
Delaware, United States
dogfish.com

Style: Herbed / Spiced Beer

For this ambitious liquid time capsule, we used ingredients and traditions plucked from Egyptian hieroglyphics.

Ta Henket is brewed with an ancient form of wheat and loaves of hearth-baked bread, and it's flavored with chamomile, dom-palm fruit and Middle Eastern herbs. To ferment this earthy ancient ale, Sam and friends traveled to Cairo, set out baited petri dishes and captured a native Egyptian saccharomyces yeast strain.

Added by lstokes on 12-20-2010

3.12/5  rDev -9.6%

On tap at The Thirsty Moose. The mint-bread aroma is different and reminds me of Moroccan Mint Tea, which I drink regularly. Light orange bodied, and big lace. A lighter mouthfeel. Some mint and other herbal tastes, I don't get it, not for me taste-wise, so not too drinkable.

3.86/5  rDev +11.9%

Single finger thick head with nice lacing on a slightly hazy golden body. Aroma is mostly light grain and malt but not very overwhelming. The flavor is interesting. I am getting a strong gingerbread flavor throughout however initially a grainy and pale malt flavor is present. Corn note and semisweet finish. Light bodied and moderate carbonation. This one is actually very drinkable and with the right amount if sweetness.

3.72/5  rDev +7.8%

On tap at the ColLAboration beer fest at the Belasco Theater in Los Angeles, CA.

Pours a clear light orange with a puffy bone colored head that settles to a film on top of the beer. There is no lacing on the drink down. Smell is of grains and herbs that I cannot identify. Taste is of grains, herbs, and spices. There is a slightly spice forward aftertaste with each sip. This beer has a good level of carbonation with a crisp mouthfeel. Overall, this is a pretty good beer for what it is but not something I could drink an entire bottle of. Very interesting story behind this one and I am glad I was able to try it.

4.25/5  rDev +23.2%

3.9/5  rDev +13%

Split a bottle of this with a good friend of mine tonight as a nightcap from a long Christmas day. This was something I had been hoping to try since I saw the episode of brewmasters that was about this beer. The beer poured out as a much clearer than expected gold color with a fizzy white head on top. The smell of the beer was sweet and had some earthy spice notes on the nose. The taste of this was really interesting to me, I was very pleased with the pepper like flavors I kept getting with every sip. There is a subtle sweetness in there too which I liked. The mouthfeel was well carbonated and had a light body to it. Overall I thought that this beer was a very nice addition to ancient ales the DfH puts out. I have always found these to really spark my interest. I would drink it again for sure!

2.7/5  rDev -21.7%

Got a chance to try this over New Years, interesting beer to say the least. First off... cannot get over the pizza flavors, specifically pepperoni pizza. A previous reviewer mentioned pizza flavored goldfish crackers which is exactly what it reminds me of. Nice bubbly, golden color in the glass.. taste is again quite odd. Seems to be a lot of different flavors going on with fruits/spices my mouth has never tastes before. Also get a random whiff of tuna? Yeah.. I'll leave it at that. I love DFH and I think the historical beers are amazing ideas and great to talk about in conversation, but this is a miss for me.

3.75/5  rDev +8.7%

3.2/5  rDev -7.2%

A: The beer is clear golden yellow in color with hints of amber and has a light amount of carbonation. It poured with a thin head that quickly died down and left lacing on the surface and a ring of bubbles around the edge of the glass.
S: there are light aromas of spices and honey in the nose.
T: The taste has flavors of wheat with notes of herbs and mushrooms along with hints of chamomile. There are also some hints of sourness.
M: It feels light-bodied on the palate and has a low to moderate amount of carbonation.
O: Despite the low alcohol content, this beer isn’t that easy to drink and takes a lot of getting accustomed to it before you can finish the bottle.

3.82/5  rDev +10.7%

With absolute Dogfish Head flavor, but yet nothing that has ever been tasted before- this experimental and avant garde ale is both familiar and foreign to the palate and the mind.

This ancient ale starts with a rusty copper and golden hue that carries a modest haze. A foamy haze seems airy and light while retaining and lacing excellently.

Strong and peculiar aromas remind me of the smokey sweetness of buckwheat honey with floral, spicy, and fruity sweetness. Raw and earthy herbs start to give me a glimpse into the fruity and spice additions that go into the brewed blend.

The raw and earthy sweetness of unpasturized honey and smokey buckwheat delivers in flavor as well as aroma. Tea-like herbs of chai, lemongrass, thyme, cinnamon, anise, and almond all play into the spicy and savory mix. Mild to moderate in intensity, the blance of sweet, spice, and fruit is seemingly easy to achieve for Dogfish Head brewers with this out-of-the-box ale.

Medium early on, but the richness of taste and moderate carbonation is quickly dismissed, in favor of a fleeting sweet feel and only a memory of spice and fruit as the finish delivers a dry and surprisingly light texture compared to the initial sweet taste and weighted warmth.

Comparisons to buckwheat meads come to mind because of the smoky sweet (nearly mesquite) character, but the beer holds back on the richer molasses-like flavor and feel of those meads. Instead a licorice note of fruit and spice accompanies the lighter-than-expected body from mid palate through medium fruity finish.

3.03/5  rDev -12.2%

1 pint 9.4 fl oz brown glass bottle with standard pressure cap into a Disney thimble glass in low altitude Los Angeles, California. Reviewed from notes. Acquired at Wally's Wine in Westwood, California. Served refrigerator cold but allowed to warm up over time. Expectations are average; I don't really trust Dogfish Head.

A: Pours a three finger head of slight cream, fair thickness, and pretty good retention - though the ABV is quite low. Semitransparent copper gold colour.

Sm: Spices and malts. A mild strength aroma.

T: A strange mixture of spices and tea notes. Some strong tea notes. Sweet bejaysus. Balanced for what it is, but strange. Awkwardly built.

Mf: Smooth and wet. Not too thick nor too thin, but simply a bit strange.

Dr: Quite drinkable. ABV is hidden but low. I enjoy it generally but it's not great. I wouldn't have it again.

C+

3.78/5  rDev +9.6%

Appearance: Pours a golden color with two fingers of foam that leave a few traces behind

Smell: Perfume of ancient herbs, with a bready character, underneath

Taste: After a bready opening, a sweet/sour lemony character takes over, with an herbal twang that develops though mid-palate; after the swallow, there is a malty, corn syrup flavor that combines with the chamomile to create a very unusual finish

Mouthfeel: Medium body with moderate carbonation

Overall: Interesting, from archeological point of view, but not something I would revisit

3.58/5  rDev +3.8%

I had this on-tap at Max's. Served in a sample glass.

Appearance: Pours a clear golden color with a layer of off white head that leaves a ring around the edge of the glass.

Smell: I'm picking up a sweetness initially, some wheat malt. There is also a nutty/bready quality along with some herbal/spice notes.

Taste: I had no idea what I was getting myself into with this beer. To be honest, I hated the first sip, but the beer grew on me as I had more. Really weird, bready and herbal. I think I'm getting some of the tea and spice. It really reminds me of pizza goldfish crackers, especially in the finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium body with fluffy carbonation and a dry finish.

Overall: This is a really different beer. I enjoyed my sample enough, but would have been upset if I had paid for a whole bottle. Glad I tried it, but probably won't have it again.

3.92/5  rDev +13.6%

750 ml bottle into tulip glass, bottled in late 2011(first bottling). Pours slightly hazy golden straw color with a small 1 finger fairly dense white head with poor retention that reduces to a ring of lacing. Minimal glass lacing, and a slight stream of carbonation coming up. Aromas of chamomile, biscuit, pepper, black tea, lemon, herbs, grass, light citrus, honey, and yeast funk, and spiciness. Very interesting and odd aromas; but I wasn’t sure what to expect. Taste is more pleasant than the aromas: honey, lemon, herbs, chamomile, black tea, grass, licorice, wheat, bread, pepper, and yeast spices. Lingering notes of herbs, black tea, wheat, citrus, and spices on the finish for a bit. Nice flavor balance and good complexity. Medium carbonation and light-medium bodied; with a very smooth mouthfeel. A touch watery feeling, but still has plenty of flavor. No alcohol noticed on the taste or finish as expected for 4.5%. Overall this is a damn nice ancient ale recreation from Dogfish Head once again. Nice balance and good complexity with easy drinking. They did a great job on this. Definitely enjoyed this one.

3.5/5  rDev +1.4%

A - one finger of white foam on a lightly hazy, golden body. The head fades quickly and leaves light lace.

S - red grapes, wet earth, cinnamon, and assorted other spicy notes.

T - light, sweet malt up front, some herbal character in the middle. Finishes with a light, sweet wheat character and a hard to describe, herbal character.

M - a moderately light body, average carbonation, and a dry finish.

D - not bad, it is light and weirdly earthy, but I find it to be strangely drinkable, kind if like a midas touch light.

2.93/5  rDev -15.1%

Served on tap at Cork City Pub in Hoboken, NJ

A: Pours a clear medium golden yellow in color with some hints that are just a bit darker when held up to the light and light amounts of visible carbonation. The beer has a quarter finger tall bright white head that quickly reduces to a small patch of extremely thin film and a thin ring at the edges of the glass. Light to moderate amounts of lacing are observed.

S: Light to moderate aromas of honey, chamomile, and herbs. Not sure I have smelled another beer quite like this one.

T: This flavor is strange - some lighter notes of wheat with some earthy mushroom flavors, chamomile (like herbal tea), and herbs. Just a touch of sourness.

M: Slightly heavier than light bodied with moderate amounts of carbonation.

O: This is not an easy beer to drink, even though the ABV is rather low the flavor combination is "interesting" and it makes it a tough beer to finish. Strangely, I have had this beer two times and it has given me a headache almost immediately both times.

3.35/5  rDev -2.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

3.82/5  rDev +10.7%

First had: on tap at Dogfish Head, Rehoboth Beach, DE

Clear golden color with a slight, white head, that soon disappeared almost completely. After a short waft, I could tell this was going to be a very unique one: scents of wheat bread, grains, a light sweetness, and a certain "I don't know what" that I supposed was attributable to the wild yeast and other unique ingredients--I've never had "Dom palm fruit" so I don't really know what it smells or tastes like, but presumably, that's a big factor here. Very full and in-your-face taste right up front, and the best way I could describe what I experienced was chicken boullion, which I got a strong sensation of up front. After that, flavors of wheat bread, raw grains, raw sugar, and light spice. It was hard at first for me to tell if I actually like the beer or not, because I've really never tasted anything like it. Medium mouthfeel, thick and chewy, considering how light the beer actually looks. Definitely drinkable, but I wouldn't want it in large quantities.

Ta Henket from Dogfish Head Craft Brewery