Olde School Barleywine | Dogfish Head Craft Brewery

Delaware, United States
dogfish.com

Style: American Barleywine

Availability: Fall

Bold, yet smooth! Fermented with dates and figs, this bone-crushing barleywine has a unique flavor.

ABV varies from 13-16%.

Added by UnionMade on 10-10-2002

3.8

Ratings: 2,684 |  Reviews: 1,094
4.03/5  rDev +1.3%

What a nice extra! Actually possibly the best I’ve received.

It seems this bottle was left in the ground or lost for a few years too many. 2006 bottle enjoyed in 2011, 4.5 years old.

Poured into a stone old guardian glass, this one is surprisingly light colored and pours a tall fizzy head. It has been a while since I had this last, but I don’t recall that much head or this extremely thin and faint head. As long as it has taken me to type this the head has fallen to a thin and rather unimpressive looking sheet of largish bubbles. Now that the foam is gone, I’m actually shocked at how clear this beer is. Clarity here is better than most barely wines fresh. My second pour of course is far less clear as the yeast how clouded and darkened things up. The yeast turns things more murky ruby colored. A rather nice color to be honest, but far different.

Sweet caramelized candies, perhaps a bit of oxidation if that’s even a smell, sugary sweet, almost starting to take on some characteristics of certain sweeter liquors. Absolutely no alcohol here what so ever. The second pour has yielded some deeper darker fruity notes, well a bit deeper and darker.

Caramel through and through, deep and bold as it can be opens this beer. The finish has a certain bitter note at the back of the tongue. Mix in some still very apparent though much subdued alcohol notes and you’re pretty much done here.

Zero carbonation in the mouth, thick syrupy body though certainly not on the thicker side for the style or for beers that pack 15% abv. The alcohol heat isn’t hiding here, but given the 15% I think the age has done a lot of work. Oddly my second pour is far harsher than the first. The yeast has brought with it changes in color, flavor, and kick. Odd.

I don’t recall the last time I bought this beer, but I’m debating getting a 4 pack and having 2 bottles around 2-3 years old and the other 2 maybe 7-8 years old. The start of this bottle made me think the beer was fading away. The second pour makes me feel like it needs a good bit more age. I’ve never experienced this, though I normally don’t open with such a small pour, but either way I’m not sure what would have happened if I used a larger glass that could hold the whole bottle. The flavors here aren’t overly complex, but they contain a great deal of nuance and subtlety beneath the high abv. Much like Immort Ale from Dogfish, this is a beer to age before even considering drinking it.

3.5/5  rDev -12.1%

2007 extra thanks to hoppymcgee. What a treat.
Aromas of sugary sweet brown sugar and maple syrupy maltiness. Honey and toffee sweetness also become prevalent as it warms.
The tastes begin with heavy honey and brown sugar. No hops whatsoever here. Waves and waves is syrupy sweet maltiness.
The mouthfeel is super sweet and cloying unfortunately. A bit of hops would help balance this out. Overall a really good beer but to be honest I enjoyed this beer more with only a couple years of age on it compared to four.

2004 bottle, thanks Doug. Pours a peach pink color with a lasting white cap. Nose is abundantly sweet, full of raisins, grapes, peaches, caramel malt. Flavor is dry in comparison, still lots of fruit sugars especially an interesting peach quality. Not too heavy but syrupy enough. Some cardboard oxidation has crept in after seven years in the bottle. All things considered, this is probably better than a fresh bottle, though it's really heavy and hard to drink a lot of.

3.8/5  rDev -4.5%

Served on tap at Maria's Package Goods and Community Bar during Chicago Craft Beer Week.

A: Pours a nice amber color with a slight woody head that dissipates quickly into a little film.

S: Big figs are present followed by a nice little flowery smell. A slight burn hits the nose as well so I'm already anticipating the burn on taste.

T: Flowery sweetness with subtle bitter hops. Figs, dates and raisins all come out from depths to give it that dried fruit taste and burn at the end is very present, but not as bad as I was expecting from the nose. Fits very nicely with all the other flavors present.

M: Medium bodied and leaves an incredible creamy, oily film over the mouth. Leaves a nice fig taste that lingers after the burn.

O: You can still taste the burn, but at 15% this is a sneaky barleywine. I enjoyed the flavors of the dried fruits and the subtle sweetness was a nice touch.

3.68/5  rDev -7.5%

Bottled in 09, drank in late 2010

A: Copper color, 1 finger off white head with great sticky lacing.
S: Huge alcohol burn immediately. Candied fruit, raisins. Kind of smelled like old life savers that are stuck in between the seats of your car.
T: VERY sweet, VERY syrupy. Huge maltiness, not very bitter. Any hop presence is overpowered by the sweetness. Note of cherries, with a bready character. Little bitter hop bite.
M: Super sticky - low to medium carbonation. Sweetness/syrup flavor disappears fairly quickly.
D: A little too sweet for my liking. Needs another 2 years probably. Could definitely feel the 15%. I usually like barleywines, but this one makes me uneasy about aging them, especially at such a high ABV.

3.7/5  rDev -7%

A- Looks deep red in the glass and orangy while held up to the light. not really much of a head or lacing on it

S- very sweet. candied sugars and dark fruits. really pungent.

T- VERY sweet. has a syrupy taste to it. mellows out toward the end and has a sweet bitterness. really sweet. this needs some time to sit. Very big flavor none the less

M- very smooth with medium carbonation. thicker mouthfeel, syrupy

O- big taste on this one, but definately follow directions on bottle of digging a hole and enjoy a year later after everything mellows out. Im gonna sit on the other one for a while

4.03/5  rDev +1.3%

This beer pours a very bright amber/brown color. Head is thin but grabs the glass then dissipates.

Smell is complex- pungent- alcohol, malt, touch of hops, something sweet- its like a beer flower.

Taste- Surprisingly smooth. Lots of malt and very subtle hops on the palate.

Mouthfeel- Ale like, thick, smooth, numbs the tongue on the way down.

overall- A great brew, very complex. This one was aged 6 months and was superbly smooth for a brew with 85 IBUs

3.95/5  rDev -0.8%

2010 bottle opened May 2011. Poured a luminescent ruby-orange into a tulip with a finger of quick-receding off-white head. Very hot, brandy-like aroma of sweet grapes and sugar cookies.

Moderate carbonation and a surprisingly light mouthfeel. Immediate alcohol warmth followed by more sugar cookie, grapes, cherries, a hint of raisin, and tart apple mixed with a muddled hop bitterness on the finish (and of course more alcohol burn).

There's probably some potential with this one and I have a couple more bottles in the basement, but even if this develops nicely I don't feel compelled to stock up on any more. Some interesting flavors going on, and it really does have a brandy-like character, but the sugary sweetness is just a little overbalanced for my taste. It does improve as it warms...or is that just the booze talking...?

4.02/5  rDev +1%

Review #7
12oz - 2004 vintage (thanks Plenum!!)

A - Pours a deep orange, bit murky. Slight bit of head that quickly recedes, leaving no lacing around the glass.

S - Very nice aroma, sweet and rich. Dark fruits, toffee, hint of butterscotch and a trace amount of alcohol.

T - Quite sweet and exceptionally smooth. I know this beer is 15% ABV, but I would never guess it. As it warms, I pick up on the alcohol more, but still it's balanced so well. Amazing what age does to a beer. The taste matches the nose nicely, lots of caramel and dark fruits, mainly raisins and cherry.

M - Medium bodied, slight carbonation. This beer, with this age at least, is very smooth, coats the mouth with sweetness.

O - This is a fantastic beer with some age on it, I really enjoyed this. Will certainly acquire some bottles of this to cellar on my own.

4.03/5  rDev +1.3%

Poured 12oz bottle into Delirium Tremens snifter.

A- Nice amber, deep red in color. Very little head to this, what is there is a nice white color.

S- Nice sweet smell to it. A little musky aroma with some sugary, tart smells coming through at the end.

T- Sweet fruit tasty, some candy sugar flavors coming through at the beginning and middle. There are a lot of flavors and tough to separate all them. Some bitterness to the end of the drink, that balances out the sweet flavors nicely.

M- Medium body, low carbonation. Pretty hot from the high ABV.

D- Took a while to enjoy this, with the high amount of alcohol to it. Got much better as it warmed too. Enjoyable drink, but only one bottle for me at a time. Glad to try this though.

3.75/5  rDev -5.8%

First had: on tap at Monk's, Philly, PA

Strong and surprisingly smooth. Poured orange-brown with some white head that disappeared pretty quickly. Smells of sweet malts and sugar. Caramel malts in the taste, with a perusing sweetness and alcohol bite. Some dried fruits in there. Smooth and flavorful, medium-thick mouthfeel. Not highly drinkable, but still worth a swig every once in a while.

4.3/5  rDev +8%

A: Pours a bubbly, dark orange with about a finger's worth of cream colored head that dissipates into a thin film atop the glass.

S: Cherries, caramel, malts, alcohol, slight hops.

T: Raisins, plums, cherries, grapes, sour apples, slightly hoppy bitter aftertaste.

M: Thick and syrupy, huge ABV, warms nicely, good carbonation.

O: I like this one. It's sweet, tart, and has some nice flavors. However, it isn't quite as complex or balanced as I'd like, so I'm going to keep trying american barleywines.

4.08/5  rDev +2.5%

Had this on Tap at Iron Monkey in Jersey City and drank out of a tulpit glass about a 10oz pour. This is super sweet full body barley wine.

Appearance: An orange red color with a faint white head. PERFECT

Smell: Fruity and Sweet with a strong alchol overtone.

Taste: Carmel sweet, not very hoppy but the 15% ABV gives it a bit of a kick. Smooth none the less.

I have to put this beer in my top 10.

3.75/5  rDev -5.8%

Pours a rosy orange color with a thin off white head. Not much visible carbonation. Smell is of sweet fruit and a touch of alcohol. Taste starts slightly bitter when it first hits my tongue, but is quickly overtaken by a mixture of sweet fruit tastes, I think I catch apple and raisin. Mouthfeel is where it should be for a barleywine. Overall, a very impressive beer, hides the 15% ABV very well.

3.76/5  rDev -5.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

An approachable 32oz growler fill from New Beer. ;)

Baby Duvel tulip. Gorgeous, clear, cherry/amber color. Just a faint wispy ring of off-white head.

Smell is cherry pits upfront, followed by toasted malt & orange oil. Ugly aerosols soon follow.

Mildly sweet, slightly caramelized malt. A woody/barky note. Appropriate oxidation I think. Soapy, more so then rindy hops. Light sour cherry & notes of fruit peel. Bitter, dried out finish helps me endure till the end.

Slightly, slightly syrupy, but lots of carbonation & bitterness to keep things flowing. Not terribly difficult for the quoted 15%ABV, but it doesn't feel that far off. No warming effect. I'd guess 12%, based on DFH's notoriety for being inaccurate.

It's missing that extra note, but it feels & drinks much better then most other American barleywines in my opinion.

4.64/5  rDev +16.6%

Rereview: 12oz bottle into a snifter, at DFH Pub in Rehoboth, DE. Bottled 2007, drank 2011. (numerical scores from this bottle)

A: Careful pour leaves a 1/3 inch tan head, that dissipates quickly. Pours red orange, leaves mild lacing.

S: Raisin, sweet caramel, mild effervescence. Some smoke, some grape, molasses, BBQ sauce. Grows and changes with time. Deep.

T: Caramel, raisin, brown sugar, sweetness, booze, all in amazing balance. Warming alcohol, but no trace of solvent. Chewy, refined, nutty, beautiful. Just enough fig and raisin. 4 years turns this into a world class barleywine.

M: Medium bodied, mildly sugary but smooth. Low carbonation.

O: I've been talking shit about this beer since I tried it a year and a half ago. Those who told me to age it were right. It's world class with age; the sweet, dark fruit and malt depth of a great English barleywine with the adventurous hops and sweet caramel flavors of all the best American barleywines. Fantastic.

---

12oz bottle into Duvel tulip. Bottled in 2009 (doesn't specify month). Drank 1/9/10.

Appearance: Aggressive pour yields a nice, fizzy 3/4 inch white head that dissipates quickly. Semi-opaque amber with bubbles rising in the middle. Head and sips leave arches of lacing that disappear after a minute or so. (4.0)

Smell: Grape lollipop, pear, apple, and a strong hit of alcohol. Prune hits as the beer warms. Honestly, I find the Jolly Rancher aroma kind of disgusting, but I'm giving it a high rating for the deep complexity of the aroma, and how it changes over time. (4.0)

Taste: Up front, apple juice and grape juice, hot alcohol, then a nice roasted malt finish. While the occasional interplay between the alcohol and the bready malt in the finish is very nice, the fruity beginning gets cloying, fast. Characterless hop bitterness only serves to exacerbate the unpleasant hit of what tastes like mixing apple juice, grape juice, melted apple Jolly Rancher, and Bacardi 151 together in a vat. Tastes way too much like cheap red wine. (2.5)

Mouthfeel: Full and creamy. The unmasked ABV could be a problem for some, but it's fine with me. Shame the taste isn't better, because the mouthfeel is good. (4.0)

Drinkability: Giant ABV, cloying flavor, over the top tartness and bitterness... I don't even want to finish this bottle. (2.0)

In short, barley wine shouldn't taste like bitter fruit juice mixed with hard liquor and several spoonfuls of sugar (actually, I don't think *anything* should taste like this). There's definitely some good aspects of this beer... but I don't think any of the huge problems would be solved by aging. It's a shame, because the finish is (sometimes) really nice, the mouthfeel excellent, the IBU decent (but hard to appreciate among the sugar shock assault), the smell full and complex (if itself too hard candy for me). Overall, I wouldn't recommend this beer to anyone who doesn't regularly steal sugar packets from coffee shops and wash them down with vodka. (original score: C)

3.19/5  rDev -19.8%

Bottled 2010A and courtesy of THECPJ. Thanks Shane!

It pours a brilliant reddish colour with over a 1 finger head of foam and brings some nice lacing.

It smells..kind of weird. I get some caramel malt and a bit of hop bitterness but what I'm smelling the most is a tartness that varies at times from sour cherries to vinegar. Is this how it was intended? A strange brew.

Medium to medium full bodied, fairly brisk carbonation, the mouth feel is fine.

I'm finding it a tough one to sip on; the alcohol is pretty much in my face and I still can't get over the tart element that Old Horizontal brings to the table. As always, I'm most appreciative for any beer I get the chance to try but this one does not work for me.

3.82/5  rDev -4%

Average looking. Brown and cloudy, not much head or lacing.

Smell is deep and darkly fruity, with figs and prunes and raisins, earthy and almost dirt-like, slightly alcoholic.

Taste is pretty darn nice. Sweet, very sweet, a beautiful mixture of pears, prunes, figs and plums, with a hint of pineapple and granny-smith apples too. Underneath it all you can tell it's definitely a barleywine tho, with a rich, grainy, lovely barley flavor that's tied in to all the other subtle nuances of this delicious beer creation.

Feel is very sweet, thick, rich, slick, and lightly alcoholic. Really this one is pretty damn smooth for the ABV. Can't read the date on the bottle, but from the source (BIF from alewatcher) I wouldn't be surprised if this one had been aged a while.

I'm not a huge barleywine drinker, but this one is very damn tasty indeed. No surprise that it's DFH, one of my favorite breweries.

3.98/5  rDev 0%

Poured from the bottle (dated '10) into my DFH Snifter.

A--Poured a ruby red that is amazing. Reminds me of a fine bourbon or a nice brandy. Had a cream colored head that dissipated quickly, not really there for any length of time.

S--The booze from the beer hits your right away. It's a very pungent alcohol smell. On the back end I get a lot of dark, sweet fruits. Dates, raisins, plums, and brown sugar. The nose is pleasant, but the alcohol kind of ruins it.

T--I get a taste that reminds me of coffee? The back of my tongue is picking up coffee. I didn't expect that. Aside from the heavy booze taste, I get sweetness of brown sugar and raisins. it's very pleasant, but the taste is hurt by the bitter taste that overpowers the sweet.

M--The bitterness and alcohol combine to form a burning sensation in the mouth. On top of that, there is heavy carbonation in the beer. It all combines to form a less-than-pleasant feel.

O--It's good for a barleywine. I'm not really a barleywine fan, and this beer didn't change my mind--but it was close. It's a good barleywine. I wish I liked the style a bit more.

4.62/5  rDev +16.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I was served this from a tap in a snifter glass. Definitely a sipper.

Color is heavy amber, almost to the point of being ruby-ish. Very mellow taste, with hints of fruit. I was actually surprised I could not taste the alcohol considering the ABV.

Overall, an excellent choice.

3.58/5  rDev -10.1%

Let me preface this with the fact that i'm not a barleywine fanatic...and man this beer is intense!

look was good, dark brown black w/o much head

smell is not much ,a bit of booze and mlat and dried fruits

taste is super intsense, wow! uber bitter, dry and boozy on the finish...this thing packs a hell of a wallop.

overall, its an interesting beer, but not really something i would seek out - killing a 750 of this might prove pretty difficult.

4.2/5  rDev +5.5%

12 oz -> Weyerbacher tulip. 2009 vintage. Split in to two servings at room temperature, shared with my buddy Greg after doing some work on one of my vehicles.

A - Ruby red, slightly cloudy, thin off white head, light lacing

S - Earthy, musky, light sweetness, mild bitter hop notes

T - Mild sweetness which is somewhat surprising. Tart candied fruit, burnt sugar. All of these flavors intensify as it opens up a bit. Tastes very complex, lots of depth. Fairly well balanced between all the sweeter notes and the bitter hops.

M - Medium to heavy-medium, feels chewy, decent amount of carb, lots of alcohol warmth

D - This is definitely a sipper at 15%, not too heavy on the palate which was surprising. I'll continue to buy this and add to my collection. I much prefer an aged bottled version to fresh on tap.

3.74/5  rDev -6%

Poured a 12oz. bottle into my DFH snifter. Beer is a dark amber and has a cream color head. Very small head which vanished quickly.

Smell was very malty with hint of boozyness

T - Very nice barleywine flavor a little hot but not to boozy or hoppy. Will balance with age

M - average not to thin but no much either

overall - good barleywine. Would perfer it a little mellower

3.97/5  rDev -0.3%

Review from notes 3/12/11. Huge thanks to DeadTerry for bringing this bottle over.

2003 Vintage!

A: Poured a hazy orange/amber color. No head or lacing whatsoever.

S: Very rich and sweet. Some toffee, caramel, a little bread, and some butterscotch. A surprisingly small hint of alcohol as well.

T: Very sweet, the harshness completely died out. Brown sugar, some raisins, a little buttery flavor as well.

M: Medium bodied with little carbonation, but very smooth.

O: Really amazing to see what ~8 years can do to a beer. Extremely drinkable even at 15%, no real alcohol presence on the flavor profile. Now..if I can only keep the few bottles I have from 2010 for that long...

3.63/5  rDev -8.8%

Poured from a 12 oz (bottled 2010D) .

A:Pours golden ruby. A little fizz but no head to speak of.

S:Barley, raisins, lots of sweet carmel notes, and alcohol.

T:Mostly sweet and carmel malt flavors. Dry apple and alcohol finish.

M: Coats your tongue with an over the top sweetness.

D: Directions from the bottle say to split between two snifters. I would agree, too sweet for me to drink the whole think and still want to drink something else afterwards.

Olde School Barleywine from Dogfish Head Craft Brewery