Noble Rot | Dogfish Head Craft Brewery

Dogfish Head Craft Brewery
Delaware, United States
dogfish.com

Style: Saison / Farmhouse Ale

This saison-esque science project gets complexity and fermentable sugars from two unique wine grapes sourced with our friends at Alexandria Nicole Cellars in Prosser, Wash.

The first addition is unfermented juice, known as must, from viognier grapes that have been infected with a benevolent fungus called botrytis. This noble rot reduces the water content in the grapes while magnifying their sweetness and complexity. The second is pinot gris must intensified by a process called dropping fruit, where large clusters of grapes are clipped to amplify the quality of those left behind.

Noble Rot is brewed with pils and wheat malts and fermented with a distinct Belgian yeast strain. It has a spicy white wine body and a dry, tart finish.

Added by paulozanello on 02-20-2011

Ratings: 1,574 |  Reviews: 338

4.39/5  rDev +11.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

My folks sent me this when they had dinner with the co-owners of Alexandria Nicole Cellars in Prosser, WA. I was more than happy to taste it!

A - Pours light golden like a dark champagne, white fizzy head of about a finger. Crazy carbonation bubbles coming up.

S - Smells of champagne and grape and a light malt. Sourness of grape tickles nose.

T - Very unique, appley mix with white grapes. Its heavier than champagne, but the carbonation is spot on. Sweet and tart all together, nice balance.

M - Carbonation tickles the palate, light body, finishes very cleanly. Finishes a bit winey and warm.

O - So unique, good saison, very drinkable.

3.75/5  rDev -4.8%

3.75/5  rDev -4.8%

3.46/5  rDev -12.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: Clear gold with a massive fluffy white head that leaves an incredible amount of lacing. This is perhaps the most carbonated DFH beer I've had.

S: For me, the saison yeast comes through, with biscuity overtones and just the faintest trace of white wine. I was expecting the grapes to be the star here, but it smells like a solid saison.

T: Now here's where the grapes kick in. This tastes like a blend of a pinot gris with a Belgian beer (not too surprising, given the ingredients). If I were to review this strictly on the basis of the first sips, I would give it 4+, but there is something that actually becomes a bit much as you drink more of it, and I suspect it's something from the grape side of the equation. (Don't get me wrong, I love viognier and pinot gris can be good.) There's something oddly tannic in the finish that doesn't quite please nor match what I expect from a beer/white wine experience.

M: Very refreshing. I had it with an oily dish, and the carbonation worked perfectly. The finish I mentioned above does have a coating quality (maybe they need a lower alpha acid hop?), which detracts from an otherwise great mouthfeel.

O: I was quite excited when I read about the plans for this beer, and in wine-like servings, this is a wonderful achievement for DFH. I would recommend splitting a bomber among three people.

3.9/5  rDev -1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

3.99/5  rDev +1.3%

3.89/5  rDev -1.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Appearance: Pours a clear golden color with a thick white head, good size bubbles, and lacing that sticks to the side of the glass forever.

Smell: A champagne and sweet white wine scent, with a hint of lemon.

Taste: A sour white wine taste with a bit of bitterness to it.

Mouthfeel: Nicely carbonated, smooth, but a bit sour.

Drinkability: Has a little too much sour/bitter for my liking, but not bad.

4.12/5  rDev +4.6%

Looks crisp, pours pale yellow. Could almost be mistaken for a Bud. Taste sweet with an overall boozy feel, almost like a port. It's very nice. Mouthfeel is good; it's foamy and creamy, and really warms everything up. Smell sweet and slightly boozy. Overall, this is one of my favorite offerings from one of the best breweries on the planet.

3.66/5  rDev -7.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

A nice surprise. I didn't bother to read the label or the ba listing but at first taste I immediately thought, wow, that's a weird pils! I generally don't enjoy saisons, so this was an experience for me. Much hyped, I first heard of Noble Rot while I was working with Napa Smith Brewery. I like that this beer is light, bold, fruity, crisp, funky, and boozy! A whole lot packaged into one beer. I think the grape additions give a nice companion for the pilsner flavor. Light and slightly tart, this is an excellent beer to break up a summer afternoon marathon. Would love to pair this with some funky or sharp white cheeses. It grows on you!

Noble Rot from Dogfish Head Craft Brewery