Robert Johnson's Hellhound On My Ale | Dogfish Head Craft Brewery

Dogfish Head Craft Brewery
Delaware, United States
dogfish.com

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Hellhound is a super-hoppy ale that hits 100 IBUs in the brewhouse and 10% ABV. It's dry-hopped with 100% Centennial hops at a rate of 100 kilos per 100 barrel brew-length. Can you tell we're stoked for this mighty musical centennial?

To accentuate and magnify the citrusy notes of the Centennial hops (and as a shoutout to Robert Johnson's mentor Blind Lemon Jefferson), we add dried lemon peel and flesh to the whirlpool.

Added by jsanford on 03-15-2011

Ratings: 1,871 |  Reviews: 575

4.25/5  rDev +10.7%

750 ml bottle into signature tulip glass, bottled in 2012A. Pours moderately hazy/cloudy orange amber color with a dense 1-2 finger cream colored head with good retention, that reduces to a small cap that lingers. Spotty soapy lacing clings around the glass, with a good amount of streaming carbonation. Aromas of big grapefruit, orange peel, lemon peel, tangerine, orange rind, floral, grass, light pine, caramel, bread, toast, and floral earthiness. Very nice aromas with good complexity and balance of citrus hops and malt notes; with good strength. Taste of grapefruit, orange peel, lemon peel, tangerine, floral, grass, light pine, light caramel, bread, and floral earthiness. Good amount of earthy floral/pine bitterness on the finish; with lingering notes of grapefruit, orange peel, lemon peel, tangerine, floral, grass, light pine, light caramel, bread, and floral earthiness on the finish for a while. Very nice complexity and balance of citrus hop and malt flavors; with a great malt/bitterness balance and zero cloying flavors after the finish. Medium carbonation and medium-full bodied; with a moderately slick, and fairly sticky mouthfeel that is good. Alcohol is very well hidden with only a small warming present after the finish. Overall this is a damn nice DIPA, even at over a year old. Very nice complexity and balance of centennial hop, lemon peel, and malt flavors; and very smooth and crisp to sip on for the big ABV. A very enjoyable offering.

3.97/5  rDev +3.4%

Wonderful copper orange color with a nice snow white head that fades to a thin cap that sheets lace on glass and settles.

Sadly an older bottle, so I am getting some oxidized hop aromas. A malty backbone that stands tall with a nice dose of lemon. Fresh I bet this would be an all-star.

Lemon lemon lemon and biscuit malt with a hint of the oxidized hops. Again I need to find a fresh bottle. Firm bitterness on finish which releases wonderful citric flavors.

Devilishly drinkable, wonderful nuances with the citrus. I wonder when this hellhound will track me down.

Great experience, will be tracking down a freshy of this deceptively quaffable elixir.

4.06/5  rDev +5.7%

I'm giving this one fours across the board. Let me tell you why...

The bottle is a 750ml with a pretty awesome label. It's THE GREAT Robert Johnson with his guitar bookended with some creepy trees, and behind Mr. Johnson is the hell hound that is on his trail. I'll be keeping this one and putting it on the shelf.

It pours an extremely hazy, gold. It gives a pretty solid one finger head with a moderately aggressive pour. The lacing so far seems paramount.

Smell: My first though was it smelled exactly like Pledge. I felt like I had just cleaned a table or something. That wasn't good, so I dug deeper as the brew warmed up. It could be that I have wood on my mind now, but their is a woody texture to it. So, we have lemon and wood. There's another spice there though, that I can't quite put my finger on just yet. It might be something as simple as pepper.

Taste: Definitely a pepper kick. Like ground black pepper. The lemon is there as well, and it still kind of reminds me of Pledge. As terrible as that might sound, I'm taking it as something unique, and although a DIPA, I'm really liking how it isn't a typical DIPA combo. There's also a dry grass flavor to it, and this is all balanced pretty well with a sweet malt finish. Which again, with the lemon/alcohol start, makes for a pretty unique finish, at least to me.

Feel: The alcohol is present, in the sense of it's warmth and effects. Hidden nicely though. It's fairly carbonated, making this fairly light feeling. Very nice drink for a warm evening.

Overall: Although not perfect by a long shot, this was just awesome to drink. The 10% got the buzz going, it had enough of a hop kick to give it an awesome bitter level, the lemon was a very unique addition making this a very specific beer. I'm currently listening to the absolutely perfect Robert Johnson as I review this, and it's making the whole experience surreal. Listen to Robert Johnson. Drink this beer. And let it all envelop you. Nothing has compared to it so far. If it didn't trigger the Pledge connotations, this would have been straight across fives from me. I'm not sure what they could do to fix that, but with everything else being perfect, I'll take it. I want more!

4.18/5  rDev +8.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Pours like unpasteurized cider, nice and cloudy with a solid, long lasting, off-white/light tan head. Nice lace.
Smell is piney with a light herbal hop behind, some malt, faint spice note. Good balance.
Taste is solid DIPA, herbal/pine hops, malt, light citrus, light spice. Very nice, well balanced.
Medium plus bodied, light effervescence. Warming, faint amount of drying at the end. A solid, delicious. I want more.

3.5/5  rDev -8.9%

3.5/5  rDev -8.9%

4.08/5  rDev +6.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.75

Appearance - pours a turbid yellow-orange. Lots of bead action, and lots of manila colored, sticky foam.

Aroma - caramel, biscuity malt, dark citrusy fruit, and after a few seconds, sweet lemon. Nice combo of aromas and while it fades a bit after setup, it's all still there.

Taste - pithy orange and grapefruit counter a chewy malty base. Sweet, heavy-handed grain offset by two-year old hops which obviousky no longer come across with the 100 IBU punch they packed in 2011. No matter, the hops are delicious, the lemon provides a nice extra layer on the aftertaste. The finish goes to a dry, lemon peel and hop bitterness end.

Mouthfeel - full-bodied, fluffy with considerable heaviness in both weight and oiliness.

Overall - a fine tribute beer to RJ. If I had another, I'd be sure to share with my buds, but this is Bogartski night.

Robert Johnson's Hellhound On My Ale from Dogfish Head Craft Brewery