Tweason'ale

Gots
SCORE
Okay
Tweason'aleTweason'ale
Notes: For our first new 12-ounce 4-packs in nearly half a decade, we replaced the classic barley foundation of beer with a mild sorghum base. The hints of molasses and pit-fruit are balanced by vibrant strawberry notes and a unique complexity that comes with the addition of a malty buckwheat honey.

We believe health-conscious beer drinkers and the millions of Americans who suffer from Celiac disease can cut back on gluten while relishing the distinction and drinkability of this very special brew.
Reviews: 296 | Ratings: 1,333 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
Reviews by MaxSpang:
3.68/5  rDev +17.6%

Served in a DFH signature glass.

APPEARANCE

Beautiful stuff - it's a crystal clear honey-blonde color. The head was small and didn't stick around. There was a bunch of visible carbonation along the sides of the glass and floating around. Very thirst-enducing!

SMELL

The strawberry comes through and creates a nice, refreshing aroma. It's followed by an unusual earthy aroma, which isn't good or bad. The honey is subtle, but present. Overall a nice smelling fruit beer.

TASTE

Interesting flavors! The strawberry comes out, bringing some nice sweetness and tartness. There's sort of a spicey character, not quite Belgian but more like fresh ginger. There's some slight earthiness in there, but not as much as the nose. A yeasty flavor comes through as it warms. It's almost like carbonated grape juice in terms of flavor.

MOUTHFEEL

This is a really light beverage. There isn't much body to it, which makes it extremely easy drinking. It doesn't feel like beer. It feels more like champagne or even soda due to the dryness and the high carbonation.

OVERALL

Not a bad brew in the least bit! I grabbed a whole 4 pack, and I'm glad that I did. It's got some really nice flavors and is super easy to drink, so this is a beverage for both people who like beer as well as people who don't. It drinks like a soda and kicks like a beer!

Cheers.

2.56/5  rDev -18.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

On tap at Pizza Paradiso. Served in a willi becher glass.

Pours a fairly-clear golden color with a short white head and a touch of lacing. The nose carries some strawberry and a bit of an odd character that I can't quite place. Nonetheless, not terribly enjoyable. The flavor follows down the same path. There's some spice and fruit and nothing really comes together. Light body. Not a big fan.

Buying DFH beers is always fraught with risk IMO. Anymore, I always start with a 12oz bottle from a bottle shop. That's what I did hear. I admit I had 2 IPA's on draft (SN Torpedo & Fatheads Headhunter) before spotting this in the fridge case, and this may have altered my buds. Thought I'd give it a try. It tastes awful IMO. The taste of this beer reminds me of the smell of Testor's airplane glue. Remember building Monogram or Revell plastic cars when you were a kid? And the smell of glue would waft in the air? That smell is exactly what this beer tastes like. Go ahead, take yourself back to those childhood days of building model cars, and buy a bottle or expensive 4-pack today!

I do admire Sam and DFH for their breaking molds and pushing beer to its outer limits. But still, the beer has to taste good! And when I get burned with beers that don't impress me and usually cost more, I have to say no...

2.25/5  rDev -28.1%

Bottle: Poured a reddish/brown color ale with a medium size foamy head with OK retention and minimal lacing. Aroma of unrefined grainy notes with light strawberry flavours is a weird mix and not the most enticing. Taste is also dominated by loads of unrefined grainy notes with some light unsweetened strawberry flavours. Body is light with OK carbonation. Body is light with OK carbonation. I’ll leave this one to people that don’t tolerate gluten.

2.71/5  rDev -13.4%

12 ounce bottle - $2.99 at Total Wine & More in Kennesaw, Georgia. Bottled On: 01/30/12.

Appearance: Pours a clear, light amber body full of bubbles, bubbles, bubbles, like a Sprite.

Smell: Has that same kooky, chemically sorghum smell that keeps me generally steering well clear of the gluten-free drinks. A few choice drops of molasses with a slender trace of tartish strawberries.

Taste: Repellent sorghum taste overshadows the strawberry and faint though distinct molasses accent. Low sweetness. Nil hop character or bitterness. Pop of acidity. Some agreeable hints of strawberry try to balance out the grim flavor of sorghum, bless'm for that. Club soda-like on the finish.

Mouthfeel: Light-bodied. Medium-plus carbonation.

Overall: The more gluten-free beers I try, the more deeply I sympathize with the plight of those with Celiac disease.

3.13/5  rDev 0%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Pours an orangish color with a thin tan head. Aromas of strawberries. The taste starts with a hint of strawberry, then some musty sweetness, then a tart, light finish. Mouthfeel is a bit light, especially for 6% abv. Overall not a beer that I would seek out again, but decent enough tasting.

3.07/5  rDev -1.9%

I picked up a bottle of Dogfish Head's Tweason'ale a couple weeks ago for $2.39 at The Lager Mill. I've never had a Gluten free beer before, but I'm always down to try a new Dogfish Head beer, so let's see how it goes. 2012 vintage. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a snifter.

A- The label looks nice, it's pretty simple but it has a nice clean look to it. It poured a slightly hazy yellow color that took on more of a darker golden color when held to the light with a finger and a half worth of white head that instantly faded to nothing leaving no lacing behind. The appearance is average at best, the color is nice, but the head and lacing are pretty disappointing.

S- The aroma starts off with a large amount of strawberry's that smell fairly natural. After that comes a honey like aroma followed by a grainy aroma and a good amount of sourness. The combination of the honey, strawberry, and sourness give this beer an aroma similar to a fruited sparkling wine. The aroma is a little above average, it's pretty unique, but to me it smells more like a sparkling wine then a beer.

T- The tastes seems to be somewhat similar to the aroma but much lighter. It starts off with a good amount of sourness followed by some strawberry that don't seem as natural as it did in the aroma and it has a slightly tart taste to it. On the finish there's a light amount of bitterness followed by a little more tart flavors and it had a tart and slightly strawberry like aftertaste. This was an average at best tasting beer, I didn't mind the sourness of this beer, but everything else seemed to be on the weaker side making the sourness stick out the most.

M- Fairly smooth, very crisp, clean, on the light side of being medium bodied, with a higher amount of medium carbonation. The mouthfeel was nice. the slightly higher amount of carbonation worked well with this beer.

Overall I wasn't impressed with this beer and I thought it was a below average Fruit Beer, since this is the only gluten free beer I have tried, I really can't compare it to others in the style, it wasn't terrible, but to me it tasted much more like a sparkling fruit wine, then a beer. This beer had ok drinkability, it went down fairly smooth, but the flavor couldn't hold my attention, this might be nice in the summertime, but for now one is enough for me, I wouldn't want to drink another one in a row. What I liked the most about this beer was the aroma, it wasn't that bad and it was the most complex aspect in this beer. What I liked the least about this beer was how similar to a sparkling fruit wine it tasted, I think some more hops would give it more beer like quality's. I wouldn't buy this beer again, it just isn't my thing, and I wouldn't really recommend it to anyone unless they actually have a gluten allergy. All in all I wasn't a fan of this beer, I didn't know what to expect from this style, but it ended up not being for me. I think it's cool Dogfish Head made a beer for people that normally can't drink a beer, but if your not one of those people it might be best just to avoid this beer all together and be thankful you don't have a gluten allergy. This was a cool concept that really didn't come together as well as I hoped, it was good attempt, but this beer just isn't for me.

3.3/5  rDev +5.4%

Pours a bright and super clear orange with a thin golden lace of head. Big strawberry nose with a touch of minty and floral hops. Crisp body with a strawberry tart sweetness up front. Lavender like herb character along with other strange floral flavors. Elegant and exotic are the two best words to describe this beer. Pretty far out in an interesting way. The flavors really cover up the absence of a malt body. Flowery hop finishes let's you know its still beer. Good for a try but not for every day drinking.

Maybe would pair well with an even more exotic dish. Gotta give them credit for giving the gluten free crowd some different.

4.5/5  rDev +43.8%

3.25/5  rDev +3.8%

3.5/5  rDev +11.8%

3.34/5  rDev +6.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

3.5/5  rDev +11.8%

3.75/5  rDev +19.8%

3.77/5  rDev +20.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Apperance: A very interesting dark honey-like amber

Smell: A very light smell that actually does not give the full flavor body. Like strawberry nodes!

Taste: At first gulp the large carbonation gives a light beer flavor but finishes with a strong sense of strawberry - BUT this is easily the best gluten-free beer or one of the best

Mouthfeel: Highly carbonated and then smooth similar to Angry Orchard's line of hard ciders

Overall: An excellent beer for those who seldom drink or have an aversion to gluten. Very much a warm weather beer that borders on a cider with its strong strawberry flavor. A must for the gluten-free

2.97/5  rDev -5.1%

P- AOH

A- a clear light amber color with poor head and minimal lacing.

S- a stron fruit tartyness that hits the nose. some sort of malt as well that i cant place. honey is also in the nose to round it off.

F- a sweet strawberry tartness. Almost like concentrate. i can barely taste the honey, i got more in the nose than in the taste.

M- tartness and concentrate type of feel. Different and odd.

O- I dont know what to honestly give this. I mean it is dogfish but i think they may have missed the mark a bit on this one. An average fruit/vegetable beer at best.

1.75/5  rDev -44.1%

2.67/5  rDev -14.7%

A: Clear dark yellow with a slight red/amber tint. Nice 3 finger big bubble clean white head that dissipates quickly.

S: I smell the honey, backed by a strong, unique cardboard aroma - I'm guessing that's the sorghum, which I can't identify since I've never smelled it before. But it's surprisingly different yet nice despite my inadequate description.

T: Whoa, that's potently different... It's Vermouth! Very medicinal tasting... Tastes like strawberries and honey mixed with lots of Vermouth. Not entirely appealing to me as a beer...

M: Very dry like a white wine, but nice carbonation. Light bodied.

O: Wow... this is different from anything I've ever tried before. If I had been blindfolded and told I was drinking a dry strawberry white wine or a dry vermouth it would make more sense... but as a beer, it really threw me for a loop. For the rest of this glass, I will pretend I'm sipping a strawberry martini... now if only the ABV matched...

3.25/5  rDev +3.8%

2.39/5  rDev -23.6%

Dogfish Head is probably the most creative brewery out there, and played a big part in turning me into a craft beer nerd. Still love 60/90 Minute and most of their other regular and special offerings. Recently though, they've had more misses than hits with me, this one is a..well read on..

Poured this into a Sierra Nevada balloon glass. Interesting reddish-brown color. Barely any head, barely any aroma. Though if I stick my nose directly into the beer, I get a hint of strawberry.

The first sip caused a real fizzy carbonation-fest explosion on the tongue. Very tart strawberry flavor with some sour notes. A little too much for my tastes. Thin feel. Soda like. As it warms matters get worse. Therefore I recommend drinking ice cold.

I allowed my fiance to have a sip and of course she liked it. She's a wine and fancy cocktail drinker.

So this is the type of beer a non-beer drinker would enjoy. Not for me.

2.75/5  rDev -12.1%

3.18/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Tweason'ale from Dogfish Head Craft Brewery