Tweason'ale | Dogfish Head Craft Brewery

Dogfish Head Craft Brewery
Delaware, United States
dogfish.com

Style: Fruit / Vegetable Beer

For our first new 12-ounce 4-packs in nearly half a decade, we replaced the classic barley foundation of beer with a mild sorghum base. The hints of molasses and pit-fruit are balanced by vibrant strawberry notes and a unique complexity that comes with the addition of a malty buckwheat honey.

We believe health-conscious beer drinkers and the millions of Americans who suffer from Celiac disease can cut back on gluten while relishing the distinction and drinkability of this very special brew.

Added by pwoody11 on 07-01-2011

Ratings: 1,330 |  Reviews: 296
3.25/5  rDev +5.5%

4.12/5  rDev +33.8%

A - Pours a fairly clear golden-orange with a finger of frothy white head. The head fades down at a fairly quick pace leaving behind a bit of lace.

S - Aroma is a mix of strawberries with some honey, a touch of floral elements, some grains, and a touch of sourness.

T - Starts off with a kick of fresh strawberries, some honey, and a bit of grains. Through the middle, some more grains and bready flavor comes through alongside a hint of tart and sourness and some floral flavor. The finish is a mix of strawberries, sweet honey, and some grains.

M - Medium-light bodied with moderate carbonation. It feels smooth with sweet and lightly tart finish.

D - Very drinkable. Nicely balanced beer with some good flavor, especially considering it is gluten free. I like the strawberry flavor.

3.12/5  rDev +1.3%

I have a friend who suffers from gluten intolerance so I'm hoping for the best here!

A: Haha wow, pouring this beer the head sounded just like pouring sprite! I mean it's the exact same, which is not a good thing... It's so fizzy and there's literally no retention. Now the color on the other hand is gorgeous. It's a beautiful golden caramel. Tons of action from the carbonation and insane clarity.

S: Smells primarily of strawberry, raw honey and a pure grain that seems to fit the bill. I know there are hops here but I couldn't tell you what. It smells sweet as well which is neither here nor there.

T: The first thing you get is tart and bright strawberries which is always good. Then it turns into the sweetness. That honey pervades into the beer and gives you a little sweetness. The finish brings back some of that tartness and I got a really unprocessed grain finish. That's the one thing that holds this beer back.

M: Decent on all counts.

O: Hmm... I think I'm going to need to give this beer some time. The Sorghum has a different flavor than your traditional malt. It doesn't reach the caramelly or bready depths. It sticks to that unprocessed grain flavor which can be good but you really need just a bit more complexity. All in all not bad but I wouldn't get it again on my own.

4.12/5  rDev +33.8%

A: Pours copper with a fluffy white 2 finger head that sticks around like meringue

S: Strawberry, a sweet and sticky honey nut type aroma, some floral and other mixed berry notes

T: Tart and sour strawberry up front, little sweet notes of honey in the middle, and hint of like a bready/grainy aftertaste with some more sour.

O: Pretty interesting. A strawberry ale with hints of other things, overall pretty good. A nice and easy summer ale.

2.65/5  rDev -14%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a pint glass

A: Pours a very clear, light amber-gold color. There is a bubbly white head which quickly fades to nothing. No lacing.

S: Smells very much of strawberry. Maybe some oats and a good dose of sweet honey and caramel.

T: It goes downhill here. A strangely sweet flavor gives way to an unpleasant flavor which lingers in the back of my mouth during the entire sip and for a while afterwards. One would assume this is a consequence if using sorghum instead of normal malts. Not entirely undrinkable but not exactly enjoyable either. Strawberry flavor is more mild and there is a warm caramel flavor.

M: Mouthfeel is moderate, with very mild carbonation.

O: I don't have much standard for comparison with gluten free beers, but I do not much like this beer. Maybe it's good for people with Crohn's, but that's about it.

2.92/5  rDev -5.2%

A: Light orange, clear liquid. Almost no head. Overall it looks OK but there is nothing special.

S: Strawberries. A lot of strawberries. Some honey and tart. 3

T: Strawberries, floral detergents, red berries in general with an aftertaste of honey.

M: Medium to light body, strong carbonation but almost no alchohol. 3

O: Overall an OK beer, although I prefer an ordinary beer brewed with malts over this one.

My first gluten free beer, Pours a pink hued golden with very little white head, Sweet aroma of strawberry, honey, and a touch of grain. Fortunately not a thick aroma because that would have killed it. Flavor starts off sweet strawberry but that dies out leaving a touch of graininess in the finish. A think, not too active moutfeel. Overall, not bad. If I couldn't drink beer I could certainly drink this one on occassion, though the sweetness is not quite to my personal tastes. But really better than I expected.

3.75/5  rDev +21.8%

2.75/5  rDev -10.7%

2.91/5  rDev -5.5%

From 12oz bottle to Bruges hybrid glass on 5/11/12
*From notes

A: Gorgeous bright, clean copper. A good pour yields a minimal and loose bone white head that fades almost immediately. No lacing, tiniest of tiny collars.

S: There's a really rustic, German Kolsch vibe going on here. Really earthy, with some rusting metal and faint strawberry/red fruit in the background.

T: Fruit and bubble up front. As it moves the mid, there's an extraordinarily off-putting melted rubber-burning plastic flavor that only intensifies as the beer warms. It finishes with a slightly tart fruit quality.

M: Crisp, light and bubbly. I don't see this as something that you'd wanna drink in the dead of winter, as it's just too effervescent.

O: I can't recall having had another sorghum based, gluten free beer, so comparing this to another in-style is tough. On it's own though, and knowing the beer's limitations, it's actually ok. No, I'll not be reaching for this, but those with Celiacs can rest assured that Sam and the Dogfish crew have crafted a rather decent replacement to a stanard craft beer.

4.25/5  rDev +38%

3.36/5  rDev +9.1%

Poured a rich copper color from a 12 oz bottle, with freshness date on the neck of the bottle and ABV on the label.
One finger foamy head that dissipated quickly. Lots and lots of carbonation.
Aroma is predominantly honey upfront, with hints of strawberries, grapefruit and sweet esters.
Taste likewise if predominantly fruity, with a crisp, tart finish. The finish is more like a palate cleanser. This beer is extremely tart, something my palate is not used to.
Clean mouthfeel with not a lot of aftertaste.
This is definitely a one of a kind beer, which was worth a try.

A-pours a transparent light red-gingerale color with a head like a soda pop
S-pretty faint aroma, some strawberries and slight hint of hops
T-strawberries and honey,not much else
M-light bodied lots of carbonation
O-Kinda hard to rate because its very different from any other beer I have had, and I havent had any other gluten free beers. Overall I liked it but its definitely in a class of its own.

A - pours a pale, pinkish color; a ton of carbonation bubbles; little if any head

S - a bit of honey; mostly strawberries; a bit syrupy

T - odd flavor; strawberries; honey; bitter; alcohol; buttery

M - crisp, heavily carbonated, light bodied

I generally shy away from gluten free beers but I will always buy them for my wife. When I heard DFH was putting one out, I bought it as soon as I saw it. It's oddly flavored. The strawberry tries to add something to nothing but it doesn't balance well. My wife and I agree, I won't be buying this again.

1.76/5  rDev -42.9%

A- Pours a fairly clear bright gold orange color with a pretty foamy white head. Head has pretty good retention and leaves a bit of lacing.

S- A lot of sweetness of the bat. Picking up honey, lemon and strawberries.

T- Tart strawberries make me about fall of the chair. Some grassiness, lemon, more tart and more strawberries.

M- Lighter side of medium in body and carbonation was ok.

O- Not liking this one at all. I'll pass on this one for sure.

4.5/5  rDev +46.1%

3.65/5  rDev +18.5%

I poured this beer into a pint glass. It has a golden color body with a small fizzy head. The smell is strictly strawberry. The taste is sweet of strawberries with a white wine taste. The mouth feel is nice with a very dry finish, almost like drinking strawberry flavored champagne. Defently not one of my favorits, but if i gluten intolerante i would drink it.

3.25/5  rDev +5.5%