Tweason'ale | Dogfish Head Craft Brewery

Dogfish Head Craft Brewery
Delaware, United States

Style: Fruit / Vegetable Beer

For our first new 12-ounce 4-packs in nearly half a decade, we replaced the classic barley foundation of beer with a mild sorghum base. The hints of molasses and pit-fruit are balanced by vibrant strawberry notes and a unique complexity that comes with the addition of a malty buckwheat honey.

We believe health-conscious beer drinkers and the millions of Americans who suffer from Celiac disease can cut back on gluten while relishing the distinction and drinkability of this very special brew.

Added by pwoody11 on 07-01-2011

Ratings: 1,332 |  Reviews: 296
1.75/5  rDev -43.2%

2.5/5  rDev -18.8%

3.35/5  rDev +8.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 3.5

I had purchased this a while back, thinking that perhaps an article on gluten-free beers might be in the offing. When I could not find a taker, the beers got shunted to the side. I had a colleague who has issues with gluten and she was always curious about beers that were gluten-free. I usually eschew them since I am not gluten-intolerant and prefer to leave them for people who are. In the interim, I am purging my massive backlog of bottles this summer and lo and behold! this one popped up. They will now be part of The Great Bottle Purge of the Summer of 2014.

From the bottle: "A gluten-free sorghum-based ale brewed with strawberries & buckwheat honey."; "Certified Gluten-Free".

Of the gluten-free beers that I have subjected myself to recently, it has been the fruit-infused ones that were the most palatable. An aggro pour produced a brief finger of fizzy, pinkish-white head with minor retention. Color was a yellow-gold (SRM = 4-5) with NE-quality clarity. Nose smelled of green apples and airplane glue, just as earlier reviewers had remarked! Ha ha. At least, it is something different. Mouthfeel was thin, watery and fizzy, like soda water. Taste was palatable, with the strawberry really shining through that apple vinegar taste that is so prevalent in these beers. Finish was semi-dry, again thanks to the strawberry cutting through some of the sharper flavors to round the edges. I am glad that I do not have Celiac, but if I did, it would have to be the fruit-infused beers that I would turn to.

1.5/5  rDev -51.3%

2.5/5  rDev -18.8%

3.5/5  rDev +13.6%

3.75/5  rDev +21.8%

2.03/5  rDev -34.1%

Pours gold with a very small off white head with poor retention, which left no lacing. The aroma has strawberries and a sorghum type of smell. Not too appealing.

There are some strawberries and sorghum in the taste. There is a club soda type of aftertaste. No hop presence or malt sweetness. I wish I would have read the label closer and saw the words "gluten free". I would have left this on the shelf.

Light bodied with light fizzy carbonation. Not much to get excited about here. Not worth seeking out again.

3.75/5  rDev +21.8%