Faithfull Ale | Dogfish Head Craft Brewery

Dogfish Head Craft Brewery
Delaware, United States
dogfish.com

Style: Belgian Strong Pale Ale

Faithfull Ale is a celebration of Pearl Jam's 20th anniversary as a band and its extraordinary debut album, "Ten." In recognition of these milestones, this Belgian-style golden ale is delicately hopped to 20 IBUs and fruit-forward from 10 incremental additions of black currants over a one-hour boil. Faithfull clocks in at 7% ABV.

Added by THECPJ on 10-19-2011

3.65/5  rDev +7.7%

Special Thanks to Jim at the Weyerbacher Idiot's Drool release for sharing this one with me and a few other guys there. The beer poured out as a very pale yellow color with a fizzy white head on top. The beer looks to be well carbonated with plenty of bubbles rising from the bottom of the glass. The smell of the beer is sweet, and a bit on the fruity side. The taste of the beer gives off a bit of a fruity note as well, personally I feel that this beer tastes a hell of a lot like Midas Touch. The mouthfeel is light and fairly refreshing, it doesn't feel dry at all it's more of a sweet feeling you get as apposed to a bitter finish. Overall I expected a little more from this brew. I'm not really sure why but I just thought that it would have been something a little more over the top. It's not a bad beer, I just feel that it would be much better to drink in the summer time. I don't feel that this one lives up to the hype in my opinion.

3.68/5  rDev +8.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Beer served in a DFH signature glass because I can. Beer is yellow / light amber and clear with aggressive carbonation, bright white head, lacing is a go. Very nice looking beer.

Aroma is mildly sweet, mildly fruity, almost like a wheat beer, almost.

Beer is thinner than I thought and mildly sweet, finish is a little dry and there is a grainy sort of acidity at the end that finishes the beer poorly. The front half is fine but I don't get much currants. I guess I'm too much of a DFH fan but when I saw "contains currants" I immediate thought of the now retired au currant beer which was interesting and purple. They are lost in here this time.

2.5/5  rDev -26.3%

4.12/5  rDev +21.5%

appearance: Handsome clear golden. Pretty thick head on the pour that reduces quickly.
smell: That magic DFH a little sweet, a little cream, a little fruit that's in Midas as well.
taste: more goodness. smooth, tasty, clearly DFH.
overall: nice addition. Not the best DFH but kudo's...please keep em comin.

3.5/5  rDev +3.2%

Very slight haze in an otherwise perfectly clear golden yellow beer with a 1.5 finger shock-white sea foam head on top. Nice little bit of lacing as it goes. The smell is pleasant, mostly of malty wheat reminiscent of a witbier with a pronounced tartness coming through. Very clean and crisp on the nose, pleasant.

Clean in the taste too. Fruit-forward indeed, but never overbearing and not sweet. Very mild sourness to it, like that of a mild witbier, as well as a slight spicy funk, but again not incredibly pronounced. Light prickle on the palate from medium-high carbonation and a touch of booze. The faintest touch of mildly bitter hops in the finish, which is dry and sweet. The mouthfeel is too watery and can't hold up the mild flavors and make them pop with the potential they have. Almost a Splenda like lingering aftertaste that really affects the overall experience. Just nothing about this beer that really jumps out at you, despite lots of different things going on with it.

I think I was expecting something a little more "extreme" from DFH, but this was one of those beers that I was like "mmm not bad" with the first sip, but as it went on, I realized it was kind of bland. But hey still worth the try and I'm a big fan of this music series idea. Out of the three, this was definitely the least interesting though.

3.5/5  rDev +3.2%

1.59/5  rDev -53.1%

A-Poured into a dogfish head pint glass at 52 degrees. Very pale straw and clear as day with a small amount of diminishing, foamy lacing.
S-Smells of toast, bread, and crisp diluted fruit notes fill the nose.
T- At first I could have been confused with an awful, over-produced belgian pilsner with crisp notes and muted malts. The middle pallet is depressing with an off-dry carry through. The finish hints at currants, but I couldn't place it if it wasn't hinted on the label.
M-Low carbonation with a crisp finish.
Overall:
One of the worst beers I have had from our favorite Milton DE brewery, quite a dissapiontment conidering the "hype" around the mediocre label, not a accurate tribute to Pearl Jam.

4.25/5  rDev +25.4%

It has a nice potent fruity Belgian yeast smell with a bit of berry from the currants and some sweet kinda grainy malts and maybe some earthy hop presence as well. I know it has some characteristics of a cheaper adjunct beer the appearance and somewhat the taste but it was made so that is was pleasing the band who said they liked fruity alcoholic beverages and mexican lagers. This is like a craft beer version of the 2 combined.

With that being said I get a bit of spicy fruity hop then with some cereal sweet malt ending with some fruity berry tastes from the currants and Belgian yeast and a very subtle earthy hoppiness to finish off the taste. For such a standard style its has a nice big taste to it. You can't really make a Belgian Golden Ale taste any better or "extreme" than this unless if you hop it to the hills and have a crazy alcohol percentage.

What I like best about this beer is the thicker almost creamy almost syrupy mouthfeel for it being a yellow golden beer. The body of this beer almost reminds me of some of the lower alcoholic stout beers which tells you this beer is made with quality right there. I also like that it hides the 7 percent so well its as drinkable and goes down as easy as any of those adjunct lagers.

I can understand why some people don't like this beer that much or its nothing special but for the style of it being a Golden Ale its amazing.I think the problem is that a lot of people don't like golden ales? With that being said I recommend this beer as another well made line of beers in Dogfish's music beers.

2.36/5  rDev -30.4%

Appearance - Similar to a MBC product - amber with a moderate head that dissipates quickly

Smell - I'll buy the idea that the smell is of currants, but I'm not liking it very much

Taste - not entirely pleasant. Sweet , hints of honey and a bit of hops. it gets a but better as it warms

Mouthfeel: bubbly and a little cloying

I'd call this an average beer. I'm glad that I tried it, but I wouldn't get it again.

3.25/5  rDev -4.1%

Clear golden and bubbly. Big head that slowly fades down. Leaves a ring around the glass after a minute or two. Nose has a big lemon/pepper hop and yeast character. Extremely pale fresh grains. Sharp tartness as soon as it hits your tongue. Lemony grains and green apples. Light freshly cracked grains. I want to say Pilsner malt. Dry grassy finish with a lemon peel bitterness. It must be DFH's reputation but I was expecting a bolder flavor profile. It was balanced with flavors and not a bad beer but for my $13.50 I was expecting a bolder character and larger ABV.

3.95/5  rDev +16.5%

Poured from a 750ml bottle into my tulip glass.

A: Clear golden color, thin white head, not much carbonation showing.

S: Slightly malty with hints of sweetness throughout. Not very strong but pleasant.

T: I actually really liked this. Very easy to drink with a nice fruity flavor to it with a sweet taste.

M: Medium carbonation with times making it near thick with low to medium carbonation.

O: I liked this beer, but then again I wasn't expecting it to blow my mind like others may have. It's a nice easy to drink beer with good flavor throughout.

Faithfull Ale from Dogfish Head Craft Brewery