120 Minute IPA

Gots
SCORE
Outstanding
120 Minute IPA120 Minute IPA
Notes: Too extreme to be called beer? 120 Minute IPA is brewed to a colossal 45-degree plato, boiled for a full two hours while being continuously hopped with high-alpha American hops, then dry-hopped daily in the fermenter for a month and aged for another month on whole-leaf hops!

ABV varies from 15-20%.
Reviews: 2,486 | Ratings: 8,761 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
blazerkor from Nevada

4.15/5  rDev -0.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A powerful citrussy hop smell has a little malt in the background.

That is a powerful wood aged taste.  There are a lot of hops and there is a sweet alcoholic taste.

It has a medium mouthfeel with a medium amount of carbonation.  The finish is wood and alcohol and it lasts a long time.

Overall it's too overpowering but it's still pretty damn good.  I give it a 5 out of 6.

Jun 16, 2021
mwilbur from Minnesota

4.41/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from 12 oz bottle into shaker pint glass.
A: Pours a surprisingly dark golden hue with a 1/4 inch light tan head that quickly recedes.
S: What an interesting aroma! White wine, white grape, earthy herbal notes, with hints of pine, caramel malt, and soft spice.
T: Herbal earth notes, soft spice, caramel malt, white wine, white grape, and soft pine resin. Follows the aroma, but even stronger/better.
M: Medium-heavy body. Slightly oily feel. Subtle and soft earthy sweetness. Lingers on the palate in an interesting heavy and yet light way at the same time.
D: Wow, what an interesting brew! Such an interesting hop expression and complexity from the process. Ok, I just looked at the ABV... 18%!! No wonder I’m feeling it.

May 19, 2021
GenesisXConn from Illinois

4.68/5  rDev +12%

I love the taste it’s one of the most original tasting IPAs I’ve ever tried. Very heavy body. Thick taste almost like a milk shake IPA. Very strong alcohol taste. Not something that would only want to take one sip of. You’d hate it for life. This is something you’ll want to indulge in. Ever sip the better it tastes. No for the weak hearted individual. You need to be a connoisseur to really respect the taste. Awesome Beer. One of my favorites!

Mar 31, 2021
IPAs_for_days_13 from Texas

4.09/5  rDev -2.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

L: Pours a nice somewhat cloudy amber/orange color with a 1/2 inch beige head with good retention.
S: Smell sweeter than most IPA's, has a good amount of malts, of course a lot of citrusy hops; boozy.
T: Super boozy upfront, very nice malt/hops balance, lots of citrus notes, sugary, hop bite on the finish.
F: Full-bodied, moderate carbonation, warming like whiskey, buttery.
O: I was excited to get my hands on this beer, worthy of a celebration. Cheers!

Mar 27, 2021
chitoryu12 from Florida

4.46/5  rDev +6.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Look: Cloudy, dirty light brown. One finger of thick white head with good retention.

Smell: The most complex array of hops I've ever encountered. Sweet dough, yeast, pine resin, and citrus.

Taste: Very unusual. Earthiness is at the front, followed by doughy malt, and a light resinous hop flavor. Bitterness is shockingly low. There's a mild alcohol flavor present throughout.

Mouthfeel: Full and smooth, with decently high carbonation.

Overall: This is definitely a beer that's worth aging. As it is now, it doesn't really match what you'd expect of it. But it's still quite complex and interesting.

Mar 23, 2021
Kijimuna from Delaware

3.17/5  rDev -24.2%

Bottle date of 3/22/2018. Stored in the dark in a workingmans wine cellar (basement) since purchase. Poured into a tulip pint glass a dark hazy brown with a thin head head and a weak tendency to lace when swirled. Small amount of sediment. Hint of fermentation on the nose that dissipated as it was allowed to breathe. At 44 F a creamy mouthfeel initially with a hint of carbonation - a tad boozy. Complex flavor cocoa and toffee, caramel and roasted coffee. Swallows sweet mixed with a hint of bitterness on the finish. The second bottle drank easier than the first. The 120 minute IPA is very $pecial and while not unpleasant, my rating is because I much prefer their 60 minute IPA or Lagunitas Hazy Memories as my go to brews.

Mar 21, 2021
Sigmund from Norway

4.02/5  rDev -3.8%

Bottle, kindly shared by gunnar. Orange to amber colour, low off-white head. Extreme and intense aroma of American hops, on a background of sweet malts. Sweet flavour, too sweet maybe, the sweetness kind of overwhelms the intense hoppiness. Still, this is a top division beer.

Mar 20, 2021
cyclonece09 from Wisconsin

4.41/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a bottle into a snifter. Pours deep red with a small off white head. Smells of bright fruit, and some citrus. Tastes of bright citrus and fruit, especially orange and berries. Just a hint of booze. Beer is full bodied yet easy drinking, good carbonation. Overall, a superb beer.

Mar 06, 2021
JasonF1981 from Connecticut

4.45/5  rDev +6.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Look: Beautiful amber/ orange.

Smell: Slight dankness with a grapey or raisiny aroma

Feel: Light carbonation and smooth

Taste: Boozy, caramel and hoppy. On the sweet side. Slight burn going down

Overall: Very impressed. Great experience. Going to age a couple bottles to see how it matures. Would like to see the booziness go away.

Jan 22, 2021
harrypowers from Massachusetts

4.34/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

An employee at the store I got my bottle from said that my bottle was at least two years old. I can't find any born on date on the bottle to verify this. >>>>> Found it. Born Nov 2017.

My bottle poured a turbid mahogany color with a small tan head.

Smells of raisins and dank hops. Tastes of brown sugar, raisins with a mildly bitter hop and a verrry boozy warm finish.

Full body with light carbonation. Lush syrupy mouthfeel.

A couple of years ago I had this on draft. That pour had to have been fresher. I wish I had perfect recall. I feel this bottle was more caramelized and less hoppy than the draft.

Beer compared to this brew is like wine compared to Port. You should try it at least once!

Jan 06, 2021
jimmah120 from Minnesota

2.11/5  rDev -49.5%

12oz bottle. Like $10

Chunky, unfiltered, beautifull (sp). "Whole and Plenty". Smells like honey moonshine and hops. Hot alcohol on the exhale, I feel like I'm sipping whisky. Very, very sweet on the tongue, an almost unbearable sweetness, the sweetness of rot or death, the deathly mixture of loads of honey malt and ~20% alcohol. It's almost like a poorly-done mead, it's soo sweet with tons of alcohol burn.. I aged this a couple months, bought it new. There's no way the hops faded *that* much. If I am drinking this as intended (I assume I am), then it is a weird white wine malt-bomb - not at all what I was expecting from a beer with such prestige.

One-note white wine hops over tons of honey malt. As a black-and-tan with World Wide Stout: very interesting 20% b&t that mellows out the white wine funk and turns into more of a beer than an abomination

Jan 06, 2021
beaulabauve from Louisiana

4.13/5  rDev -1.2%

I aged mine a few months, and I find it very vinous, which I’m not a fan of. It’s still pretty good, but I would like to try it fresh.

It’s either vinous or infected. I’m not sure which, because I’ve never had it before. And it does pack a whollup!

Dec 03, 2020
RonaldTheriot from Louisiana

4.99/5  rDev +19.4%

120 Minute IPA has a thin, ivory head, a translucent orange appearance, with some roiling off-white sediment, a central bubble stream, and a good deal of lacing. The aroma is of intense apricot marmalade and chutney. The flavor is of very sweet white bread crust, resinous hop oils, bitterness, and the chutney. 120 Minute IPA has a somewhat heavy body and a dry finish.

RJT

Nov 28, 2020
Joem5636 from Florida

4.65/5  rDev +11.2%

I like a lot of Dogfish beers and was surprised at how good this IPA is. Since some Dogfish beers are seasonal, this is an excellent alternative to my favorite: Palo Santo Maron.

Nov 15, 2020
trevormajor from Ohio

4.51/5  rDev +7.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

12 oz bottle born on 8/23/2019 poured into a pint glass at 39 degrees F; this vintage clocks in at 15.3% ABV:
L - murky and copper colored, slight head that dissipated but lingered at the edges of the glass
S - very interesting smell, not like most ipa's; a bit of sweetness and maltiness
T - sweet, strong, a bit floral
F - somewhat syrupy, with a lot of carbonation
O - very different IPA, very nice, complex flavor, almost 1.25 years in, it is a great, full bodied beer

Nov 12, 2020
robwired from Kansas

4.83/5  rDev +15.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

"Ages well," it says on the label, but has anyone found out? Believe it or don't, tonight was my first bottle of this much talked-about IPA. It pours a pretty golden tangerin color, and it tastes the same -- strong citrus-forward. Medium mouthfeel, orange juicyish. Boozy, yes, but more IPA-ish. I doubt I'll ever find out if it ages well "for a decade or so."

Nov 02, 2020
jpmarrero897 from Pennsylvania

This was my favorite imperial IPA thus far and one of my top 10 beers of 400+. The 4-pack I bought was actually from 09/19 so it has been aging for just over a year and was a birthday present to myself!

It pours fairly dark which I had heard about and did not have much of a head to it. Almost reminded me of pouring myself a glass of Black Label to a degree. The smell is wonderful with a very clear aroma of alcohol to it yet floral at the same time - superb to say the least! I found the taste to be reminiscent of an orange peel with a little bit of a peppery bite towards the end but, not over powering whatsoever. It was rather thick and syrupy which surprised me a lot, and I enjoyed that substantially!

Overall, hands down one of those beers that I will absolutely buy again should I see it in store/have the money for it. The price is a little daunting (similarly to the WWS which I had recently), but it is every bit worth it in my honest opinion. I wonder what it would have tasted like had I tried it fresh... All I know is that the other bottles are going into my cellar with my collection of some extremely hard to find beer!

Oct 21, 2020
bret27 from California

4.16/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

From cask n flask San Jose. Bottle to snifter. About 1 month old.
L- deep amber color. Moderate carbonation. Light khaki average head.
S- Smells of sweet malt. Underlying Oak aged boozy smell. Not overly boozy. Orange peel, spices.
T- Very sweet. Citrus/spice. Malty and caramel. Biscuit. Bitter boozy bite at the end as well.
F- Thick and sweet mouthfeel.
O- better than I expected. Fun to try. I don’t think I’d buy these to cellar them just because it would defeat the purpose of all the hops. Fun to try fresh once.

Sep 28, 2020
brotherstoic from Minnesota

4.85/5  rDev +16%

The most I've ever spent on a single bottle of beer, and it was well worth it. Darker than I expected it to be, with almost no head. Surprisingly fruity and floral, very hoppy but not too bitter. Based on price and abv, the choice is always between a single 120 and two of something else. This isn't a daily drink, but it's quite possibly the best beer I've had. Definitely need to try aging it per bottle (and others') suggestion

Sep 28, 2020
Esteroboy from Indiana

120 is not a typical beer. It has hops galore, and a warmth like brandy. It's like an IPA amplified. You don't quaff it quickly, but rather sip it with a long tasting. There is no other beer (if that is the word) quite like it. Not a daily brew, but very special. Yes, a 4-pack will run you over $30. But I've bought bottles of wine for more than that which I enjoyed much less.

Sep 07, 2020
clausthaler from Massachusetts

3.76/5  rDev -10%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

2018, purchased off the shelf and lost in the back of the fridge for ~ 2 months. It's alright. I get too much raisiny sweetness out of this at first glance. There is a nice lingering hoppy end note that stays on for a while, but the initial sip is just alright. If only the whole beer tasted like the finish. i really dislike the raisin note in any drink and that has this going on so it's held back. It's definitely nice and unique, would be really cool in a tasting, but it's too sweet, a bit unbalanced and too expensive for me. Maybe I would prefer a younger version, with more aggressive hops? I'm not sure.. the raisiness is interesting and unique compared to other old, aged beers I've had so that's cool if you're into that but i see it moreso as a flaw.

Sep 01, 2020
Tripel_Threat from Michigan

4.21/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Poured from bottle to tulip. 2016 vintage. Light amber in color. Aromas of sweet caramel malt, booze, vanilla, and a touch of citrus. Flavor is a rolling mix of vanilla, salted caramel, biscuit, something oaky. Barley wine ish.

Aug 15, 2020
KRug from Massachusetts

4.45/5  rDev +6.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Bottled 6/29/20, about as fresh as anyone has these I presume

Well, here it is. I know it’s not all that rare, but it’s a whale for me, and the last of the DFH “Minute” IPAs for me to try. I found a 4 pack of this and also grabbed an extra single so I can lay some down in the cellar

Pours a murky burnt orange with a small cap of off white head that fades to a ring and leaves decent lacing and legs

A well balanced aroma brings notes of sweet orange, earthy cinnamon, herbal hops, lemon rind, and brown sugar. Way more malt than hops, it smells very rich and caramel like, not unlike an aged 90 Minute

The beginning of the sip brings notes of sweet sherry, caramel, and overripe grapefruit. Mid palate, the focus shifts more towards the caustic side of things, with a mix of grapefruit rind, pine, caramel malts, and fairly strong alcohol (duh). The aftertaste is very long, with lingering notes of brown sugar, alcohol, and orange

This does not drink like 18% at all. I get the the abv is variable, and the exact for this vintage is unknown, but it drinks closer to 8% than 18%. A chewy medium body with nice peppy carbonation leads to a full and smooth drink that finishes sticky and sweet

Dogfish Head is all about pushing boundaries, and that is precisely what they did here. No IPA should be this size, this malty, or this flavorful. Yet, they pull it off flawlessly. Well done, I can’t wait to revisit this at 2, 3, 5, and 10 years and see how it develops. Cheers BA, I loved this

Aug 02, 2020
jwp777 from Oklahoma

4.82/5  rDev +15.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Today I purchased a 4 pack from my local liquor store. I saw it every time I went in there for the last 9 months or so, but I never went for it. (I hesitated to pay $40 for just four beers even though I know the reputation.) today, I figured given I just became a father and start a new job on Monday, why not. Treat yo-self or whatever.

Bottled on 02/22/18, tasted the first bottle today, 08/01/2020, making this almost 2.5 years old.

Pours a beautiful mahogany brown color. Head is off-white and disappears quickly, but does retain around the circumference of the glass.

Aroma - very sweet citrus (blood orange especially, maybe even persimmon?), but also lots of cinnamon and nutmeg. Near the end, the hops come in strong. The high ABV is obvious from the start.

Taste - wow. PERFECT balance of the citrus, hops, caramel, malts, and cinnamon. There’s something else there too that I think is brown sugar but I’m not positive. Finish is long and just as balanced as every other aspect. The booze hits the back of my throat near the end, but it honestly isn’t as strong as expected.

Feel is medium bodied, yet thick, with appropriate carbonation for what it is. Definitely a beer to sip, but it really is not heavy.

Overall - one day I hope to find myself at the brewery when it’s fresh so I can taste it that way, but this 2.5 year old bottle blew me away. I normally lack the discipline to age beers in my cellar, but for something this good, you can bet I will be aging the other three bottles and looking for this one when next released. Absolutely amazing.

Aug 02, 2020
Dr_Gonzo from Kentucky

4.24/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Poured into a tall clear pint glass. Deep mahogany color, white head dissipates rather quickly. Decent lacing.

Very sweet citrus. Notes of blood oranges, cinnamon, nutmeg, caramel, brown sugar, vanilla, pine resin, citrus hops like mandarins and oranges, and tropical hops like pineapple, mango, and papaya.

Very strong beer. I can really taste the brown sugar, vanilla, and caramel, almost like a molasses sort of taste. Fruity hops taste really ripe in this, and add supplemental sweetness to the brown sugar and caramel. I also taste butter and cracker. Overall, incredibly malty and delightful. Body is medium-light.

Jul 09, 2020