120 Minute IPA | Dogfish Head Craft Brewery

ABV varies from 15-20%.

Added by frank4sail on 03-24-2003

Reviews: 2,238 | Ratings: 7,954
4.43/5  rDev +11.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Copper color with thin white head, smelled sweet and hoppy. Taste was deeply hoppy and strong alcohol. Feel was heavy and smooth. Overall, like beer schnapps. Sip very slowly.

3.68/5  rDev -7.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

12oz bottle purchased from local Whole Foods for $8.50. Bottled 7/14/2016.

Orange, marmalade translucent elixir poured into HF snifter. 1/2 cm of white foam to a rim. Scant lacing. Thick legs coat the glass with each sip.

Sugar coated citrus candy, booze, earth and subtle spice.

The citrus hop is there but quickly overwhelmed by the alcohol. There is a heavy sugar cane presence that mutes the hop bitterness.

Medium to full body, minimally carbonated, alcohol vapors.

This is the first time I have had this brew fresh and the age really helps mellow the alcohol. Drink fresh at your own risk.

4.04/5  rDev +2%

Bottled 7/14/2016. Poured into IPA glass. It pours a hazy honey-amber with one-inger of frothy, milk-white head and lacing with excellent retention. It smells of sweet malt, pine needles, hops, and just a whiff of citrus. You can also smell the strong alcohol. When sipped, it fairly explodes with sweet malt, almost cloying, and bitter, biting hops. There is a strong alcohol burn. The sweetness and bitterness are at war with each other. This is probably the most viscous, chewy IPA I've rated and the alcohol is nearly overpowering. This is a legendary ale that I'm glad to have finally rated. I usually purchase a single bottle when a fresh batch is released. That's enough for me.

4.47/5  rDev +12.9%

I chose to open this guy fresh.

L: A hazy honey, a slightly lighter looking DIPA, lingering head
S: A mixture of Chinook and sweet malt. The alcohol is definitely there but not over powering.
T: Great DIPA that is ridiculously strong. The flavors are so on point that it masks the high ABV. A nice bright hop flavor that is smoothed out with a mellow sweet malty backbone and finishes with the slight kick from the alcohol flavor.
O: A fine beer that is definitely worth the search. Wish I could try some older ones

3.6/5  rDev -9.1%

This thing is a in a class by itself.
Its a beast.
To me its not a beer, its carbonated Liquor!
Really, its more of a barley wine then an IPA to me...

My first attempt at DFH120 was a fresh bottle - its just different than anything I have had. Not sure how to explain it but its something to check off the list.
I have a 2nd bottle aging for little over a year now, I am anxious to see how it has changed with age........will update review when I have it.

4.5/5  rDev +13.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

09/18/2016
Bottle to pint glass.
LOOK: Hazy yellow orange, small white head, lasts.
AROMA: hoppy citrus, some pine. Very fresh.
TASTE: juicy, guava, lemon, Orange, ash and barley show up late. Very complex taste. Alocohol is apparent, but not 18% apparent.
FEEL: Full bodied blonde. Very thick, carbonation is there, but has resistance to being bubbly.

Glad I tried this fresh(about 2 months). Aging a 2nd bottle. I've seen argument that this in mislabeled as an IPA, but I think it truly is an IPA, with some characteristics of a barleywine. This reminds me of Troegs Nugget Nectar on Steroids. I'm guessing aging will bring out more of the malty flavors as the hoppy flavors fade.

I was lucky enough to get 5 bottles of this beer I shared two bottles with friends I drink one by myself then I waited two years later I drink wine by myself it was awesome I have one bottle left it's 4 years old I'm trying to wait till I can get some more

1.76/5  rDev -55.6%

L: beautiful golden amber, darker than most DIPAs, good head retention - 4

S: piney...alcohol... - 2.25

T: Like eating a pine cone dipped in everclear - 1

F: Like a DIPA frozen into a popsicle, then dipped in booze- laced simple syrup, then thawed and poured un-asked- for down the throat

Overall: nothing else to add

Disclaimer: I'm a former IPA nerd. I tried this a solid year plus after the end of my IPA honeymoon.

4.08/5  rDev +3%

Finally got around to reviewing one; this is not my first by any means. June 2014 bottle date, my friend Gary reports he cared for it well before I traded him a brewed-that-week Maine Dinner for it. I just wanted to give him a Dinner, to be honest, but he insisted. Good man.

Poured into Teku glass.

L: Neat color and unusual. Very juicebomby looking (it's not that kind of IPA, if IPA it really is) opaque cordovan leather color. Small head after pour, but as you can imagine that did not last long and leaves no trace.

S: Malt and alcohol, but lots of complexities within. You get barley, honey, molasses, brown sugar, dried aged stone fruits, along with cognac, bourbon.

T: Largely follows nose. Sweetness first, bitterness from all the hopping, and alcohol burn come in turn and malts really can't hide that very well. Lots of oaky, bourbon, cognac, leathery type feeling. Really has aged very nicely and all the flavors are mellow and soft.

F: Full bodied, light carbonation, all drying done by ABV and there is a lot of tongue coating. Improved balance with aging, but the sweetness and alcohol burn still peak too high, I think. Well constructed.

O: Why is it not a barleywine? No idea. It's still a very nice superstrong beer when you want to sit around and sip something nice that won't break the bank.

4.48/5  rDev +13.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

12oz. bottled on 04/08/16

Pours slightly foggy amber red-orange with a creamy frothy off-white foam head. Smells like slightly astringent booze, almost like a sherry wine or cognac style hard liquor, some big grapefruit citrus, red melon, dried fruits, dark toffee, caramel, honey, molasses, brown sugar, vanilla, with earthy herbal pine. Tastes like slightly bitter boozy heat, an almost dessert wine-like note, dried fruits, red grapefruit, melons, dark toffee, caramel, honey, molasses, brown sugar, vanilla, with bitter earthy herbal pine. Feels medium bodied, creamy and slick with moderate carbonation. Overall a nice strong bitter and boozy IPA.

4.48/5  rDev +13.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Graciously given to me as an extra in a trade by member newbeeraday.

Bottled on 6/30/14. Aged a couple years, it looks like.

The pour is beautiful, just a golden froth the color of OJ from the bottle. It forms into what I can only describe as Tropicana or fruit juice. Lots of reds, oranges, heck it even looks like a tomato beer. The head is 1 finger but diminishes very quickly to moss on top. 100% opaque, but sunlight gloriously illuminates the sides. A beautiful, stunning appearance.

Aromas of ocean tides, melon, papaya, dark skinned grape, prunes, raisin, a hint of burnt brown sugar, freshly uncapped barley in a barrel. It really is an amazing nose.

Holy shit. I mean holy, freaking, shit. Insane beer. Flavor just jumps out at you. Each sip is different. I'm getting figgy fruits (that is to say, dark...plum, prune, raisin), and bright fruits like cantaloupe, melon, and honeydew. An aggressive dry hopped character hits you in the face with what I imagine some high quality space dust would taste like from another planet. I'm also getting tomato soup notes, which sounds bad but isn't, and finishing off with a a vinous quality, wine casks, and bourbon barrel. And I just noticed it's 18%. whoops. If there were anything to improve on, it's that the alcohol comes out more as it warms and takes over the beer.

Feel is hot, smothering, creamy, yet intensely carbonated. Hot, dry finish.

Overall, I mean...what can you improve on this? Insanity in a bottle. The warmth makes it a bit medicinal and hard to swallow, but if this is what NE IPA's are like, count me the F in. This is awesome right here.

BO 07/08. been in my cellar a long time. Pours deep copper color with crimson highlights, still has vry good carbonation with a tan head. Smell and taste were pine hops and very sweet malt , got alot of caramel and toffee maybe more so cause of the age , but still had a nice hop edge. Thick mouth feel with sweet malts out shining the hops . Was surprised how good this was considering the age. will have to try one fresher to compare, but i reaaly like d this brew.

4.09/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Pours translucent golden orange with a thin off-white head that fades to a thin ring on top and leaves thick faint spots of lace. The smell is of caramel malt, faint pine and sweet bourbon. The taste follows with sweet caramel malt and subtle piney hop flavor. Alcohol presence is noticeable but, nowhere near what might be expected. Full texture.

3.95/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

A: served on draft in a snifter, deep orange with a short white head that dissipates leaving little lacing, light haze

S: toffee, heavy malt, sweet, alcohol, tangy hops, leather, wood

T: kind of hot going down, lots of alcohol, bourbon, pine hops, malt, toffee

M: thick with tons of alcohol, lower carbonation

O: interesting beer that approaches a liquor like beverage

4.28/5  rDev +8.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

2015 vintage (July release)
~1 year since bottling date

Appearance- Pours a medium, bright amber color. Transparent w/ some suspended particles. Half finger thick, off white colored head, soapy, dissipates quickly. Tons of alcohol legs, some spotty head lacing on glass.

Aroma- Candied fruity sweetness, orange marmalade, lemon, sweet pineapple, apricots, and white grapes. Sweet breadiness, glazed fruitcake, honey, brown sugar. Some earthy pine and grapefruit. Boozy alcohol notes.

Taste- Sweet bready malts, caramel, honey, molasses. Candied orange, booze soaked raisins and dates, cherries, white wine grape. A touch of piney hop on the finish, woody earthiness, and warming alcohol notes.

Feel- Full bodied, very thick and syrupy, coats the mouth. Finishes slightly dryer due to alcohol notes. Lower carbonation.

Overall- Incredible sweetness, layers of bready malts and sugary sweet flavors. Hop character has faded back, just a touch of pine on the finish. Love how the fruity flavors mix so well with the boozy alcohol notes. Its brash and aggressive, very enjoyable.

4.25/5  rDev +7.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

2016 12oz bottle into dfh signature glass (slightly snifter-esque). pours a cloudy, dark coppery amber with a small head that calms quickly into bubble lacing. nose; ethanol, piney hops, & caramel; candied orange emerges when warmer, taking on a sweet grand marnier nose. taste; massive caramel malts, ethanol, pine resin, warrior/simcoe hops, grapefruit, citrus rind, & orange pulp. aftertaste warms into a jet-fueled marmalade & banana ester combination that gives me phantom oak notes. mild carbonation & heavy mouthfeel. the second half of the glass gets sweeter as the abv shock marginalizes and the body warms to room temperature, but the 1st half is definitely an acclimation. a novelty freak-show brew that needs to be taken slowly and starts to show its complexity after warming a touch. this isn't going to be a go-to beer by any means, but sometimes you need to reach out and see what's possible. :)

3.97/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

From a bottle, pours a deep amber color with a thin white head that quickly dissipated. Aroma is full of sweet hops. Flavors are (at first) rather overpowering in hops and booziness. Settling into this, I can appreciate flavors of perhaps grapefruit. On the one hand, I salute Dogfish for this amazing beer. But, being real, I don't see wanting more than one of these per season and I'd never serve it to a guest.

11/15 Bottle.
look: Clear, gorgeous honey-copper. Amber head and messy lacing. This has serious legs.
smell: Incredibly rich floral hoppy malty nose.
taste: Again, rich and decadent. Bright hops and sweet malts with balls to spare.
overall: Transcendent. This is a beer but it's a unique creation. Kind of a Hop Port. I guess some would criticize ever giving a perfect score. Imo, a beer that is transcendent, it's own thing and I would't want anything changed deserves it. Kudos Sam and team.

3.75/5  rDev -5.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

2016 version on 7/4/16 poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a 16 ounce tulip. Pours a deep amber with a thin, white head. The smell is dank, some citrus, sweet, and boozy. The taste is very sweet, very boozy, and hard to pick out anything else. Mouthfeel is heavy carbonation and oily. Overall, this beer is incredibly intense and a bit difficult to drink. It definitely needs to age. I will revisit this review in a year or two when I open another.

3.86/5  rDev -2.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.5

Pours a deep amber into my DFH tulip with a 1/2" head that quickly dissipates and leaves a thin ring of foam on top. Minimal lacing clings to the sides. Smell doesn't really knock my socks off like I expected. Somewhat understated compared to dank Midwest coastal style I prefer. I was expecting a huge resinous smack in the face, and this just didn't deliver that same wallop that some of the better DIPA's deliver. At first sip Initially I was impressed with the sweet malt, barleywine, backbone of this beer. But the longer this lingered on my palate, the medicinal, champagne like, notes overpowered those characteristics, sent this review sideways. I struggle to detect the more desirable hop characteristics I crave. I'm surprised at how underwhelmed I am with his beer, since I am a big fan of both the 60 and 90 minute DFH IPA releases. I guess I'm spoiled by the quality of breweries like Dogfish Head, Founders, Russian River, and the like. I shouldn't expect a smashing success with each years' release of a big name brew. Even Miguel Cabrera strikes out with runners in scoring position on occasion.

3.63/5  rDev -8.3%

I am going on the assumption that I tried this for much the same reason others have: dry hopped for a month?! crazy high abv?! Dogfish Head?!I consider 60 minute to be a session beer, and 90 min to be a solid hour long sipper, and I imagined this would be like 90 minute, but with a flavor wallop. Instead, it just seemed like they poured some booze into a perfectly good 90 min. Sure this was a bit more complex and layered, but ultimately, I would pick the 90 min every time in the future, especially considering one 120 bottle costs the same as a 4-pack of 90.

3.99/5  rDev +0.8%

Pours a honey Amber color. Aroma is a little sweet, very resinous and super malty. Flavor is sweet malty and has some bitterness from the hops. A little crisp champagne like quality. Feel is solid, a little thick but disciples quickly. Overall an interesting beer, solid.

2014 bottle. Color is deep amber. Caramel and malty sweetness on the nose, with alcohol.
Very sweet on the palate. A bit of an alcohol burn going down, especially as it warms.
Not for everyone. Glad I had the experience.

This beer is like the Wu Tang Clan. It ain't nuthin to %#$& with. The boundaries of hops and alcohol are pushed to the limit. I understand that this brew is not for everyone. I enjoyed the experience. It did take me a couple hours to drink a 12 oz bottle. Open it up, have a sip. Have several sips with a good dinner. A few more as you watch the sun set. Not an everyday beer - for special occasions, or to make an ordinary occasion special. Peace.

4.15/5  rDev +4.8%

Pours with a deep Amber color with a nice head. Carmel and hops aroma. Light tangerine to a Carmel to hops not strong with a booze finish. Excellent dipa. One of the best from dog fish.

120 Minute IPA from Dogfish Head Craft Brewery