120 Minute IPA | Dogfish Head Craft Brewery

ABV varies from 15-20%.

Added by frank4sail on 03-24-2003

Reviews: 2,281 | Ratings: 8,079
3.98/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

L: Dark amber color with half inch white head that faded. Some lacing.
S: Caramel and malt with some hops on the back end. Also a general boozy smell
T: a lot of malt flavor with a caramel sugary taste. Hops are hidden under all that sweetness.
F: full-bodied and smooth for an IPA, no afterburn for something like this is nice.
O: this is good and I can see the appeal. However to get one here in central CA I paid $10 for a 12oz. I can't see paying that again even though I like this.

Hazy amber with a 1.5 finger head that goes away quickly. Tastes of caramel malts, non bitter hops, and plenty of booze. Odd that it has 120 IBUs but has almost no bitterness at all. You can definitely tell its an alcoholic beer, even though people have been saying its hidden, it's not. I mean, it doesn't taste like 15-20%, but it's very prevalent. I wish I would have gotten another to age. Overall, and incredible beer, but share it if you can.

2.13/5  rDev -46.3%

Freshly brewed a month ago, freshest available in Michigan:

L: dangerous appeal that is caramel marzen death-like looking with thin bubbly head

A: alcohol, boozy, dark fruit, barley wine scent

F:boozy, scotch, barley wine, heavy, slow sipper, does not feel like an IPA.

T: straight up booze, sort've unpleasant, vodka like but would rather drink martini than this.

O: paid $14 for one @ one shop, $10 @ another not worth this price to waste it drinking fresh. I love IPA's, scotch ales, and aged barley wines. This is a beer that needs to be aged. I don't agree with buy one fresh and buy one to age, when it comes to this beer just age it. It doesn't have the fresh IPA bitterness of enjoyment that stone, hope slam, m 43, or many other IPA's possess. This beer is a straight up boozy mess. Fine if you want to get wasted but missing flavor. Now this rating is based on drinking it fresh and in 5 years when I drink the 2nd bottle I may rank this beer higher but for now I am not a fan.

Bottle dated 3/16/17. Trying one fresh and I bought a few more to age so will update this as I open them.
Pours an amber color with a 1/2-finger head. Smells sweet, almost like a wee heavy. Primarily citrus/butterscotch aromas. The palate is also sweet, packed with hops, but the malt/sweetness dulls them a bit. Overall the beer is surprisingly balanced and the alcohol barely noticeable. It has a thick, viscous, slightly sweet mouthfeel but not cloying. Overall a big, pleasant beer though nothing particularly stands out. I look forward to following it as it ages

4.02/5  rDev +1.3%

A - really nice orange amber color with a white that dissipates quickly, as expected at this abv.
S - big sweet booze, caramel, pine, lemon, kind of reminds me of gubna but alot stronger
T - big sweet booze predominates. Pine, grapefruit, orange and lemon peel. Caramel malt presence.
M - heavy because of the alcohol burn. Alcohol very present. Think like if you were used to drinking redbreast and then took a shot of everclear. It's about the same difference going from 60 or 90 minute to this. Afertaste is general hop bitterness and sweet booze.
O - this is the thing --> brew an 18-20% imperial ipa and make it amazing to drink and then ill slam this. Otherwise ive never had anything like this thats even remotely drinkable. It also has legitimate hop character as well. I've got another but ill probably wait a long time before drinking it.

4.23/5  rDev +6.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Bottle was either 2 or 3 years old. IMO taste much better after being aged for a while. Still had a taste of IPA despite the aging. Some fruity stuff like mango & pineapple going on. Only drank half the bottle for fear of getting blasted, as it was not my first beverage of the day. Malt dominant. Stuff is not cheap, but once a year is fantastic. Had drank it a couple times before, and this was the best ever. I thin the fruit comes out over the booze, unless it was lower ABV.

4.59/5  rDev +15.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Shade of orange and small amount of head, I could easily identify that this beer was in my wheelhouse for hops. Fantastic mouthfeel and firmness, with a nice malty backbone to balance the hops. Excellent, clean finish. Just a rockstar beer.

3.88/5  rDev -2.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

Man, this is a dangerous beer. Does not taste like the ABV that it is. A musty orange color, it has the mature flavor of malt tipped with a small bit of hops.

4.05/5  rDev +2%

The bottle I opened was 4 years old and I paid $20.00 at a charity event. My first thought was I just paid $20.00 and my second thought was it is a 4 year old IPA. Now tradition says an IPA needs to be had fresh. So I was not expecting much. Poured into a 12 ounce tulip glass at cellar temp. First impression - it smelled great. Darkish amberish that lets plenty of light through and it is cloudy. Good head that dissipated with no lacing. No idea of ABV but it can be described as a sweet well balanced old IPA with a pleasurable boozy taste that I enjoy. I never would had believed it was 4 years old. I love it. Time for a nap. It's a great beer. Gonna pony up next time it comes around and cellar it for a long time. it is obvious to me that whomever stored it knew what they were doing.

4.6/5  rDev +15.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

I have tried this beer twice. The first time was a bottle that was a few days old, the second was a bottle that had been aged for 18 months. This review is for the second beer that was aged.

Look: Hazy orange with small off-white head that persists. Lacing is moderate.
Smell: Toffee with a sweet booze undertone. Slight citrus scent as well. With aging the booze scent mellows out.
Taste: Caramel/vanilla cream flavor followed quickly by a bit of an alcohol bite/burn. However, the alcohol taste is more refined than a fresh 120 and carries a gentle, slightly pleasant burn. Malt flavor comes through after swallowing and lingers on the tongue for a bit, but the booze taste can drown this out if you take too big of a sip.
Feel: Very creamy and full-bodied. Possibly the best mouthfeel of a beer I've ever had. Carbonation is moderate.
Overall: This beer is worth buying, but you should definitely age this beer for at least a year before drinking. An unaged 120 is harsh and the alcohol masks the subtle creamy flavors of this brew.

4.95/5  rDev +24.7%

I'd say this is my hands down favorite beer. Some background on this review, only a few years ago I would only drink things like Coors Light, Rolling Rock, lighter beers, I enjoyed stouts as well, was the only unique beer I could drink, they had to be a non-coffee stout though, Guinness for example... I then moved on to a Cider kick and still do enjoy ciders especially anything from McKenzies. Then I saw this beer one night at a bar, had a buzz on and my buddy said he would give me a ride home and as a dumb drunk decision I chose the bars highest ABV beer they had.

And I was absolutely blown away by the taste, it didn't even taste like an IPA, this beer started my craving for all sorts of other IPAs and now I can drink American styled IPAs as long as they aren't super hoppy, this "IPA" as I like to describe it, is amazing, hands down my favorite beer.

It's hard to find but a local beer distributor near me is able to get it frequently now, $180 for a case, or I can wait in line with others in my local town for $150 cases at a different distributor. He will even hold one back for me since we have a mutual friend.

If you come across this beer, and it's not over $12, I HIGHLY recommend it, or if you haven't had them in awhile I would pay anywhere from $15-18 highly depending on location and how long it's been. My local distributor charges $36 for a FOUR pack, $180 for a case.

It's expensive BUT what I do as well, I buy a case, I drink 12 of them whenever I want to have one, and I am letting the others ferment in segments, 1 year, 2 year, 3 years, 4 years, 3 for each segment. I just started this journey of segmenting them but I am super stoked for November 12th 2017 for that 1 year mark for that 3 pack segment :-).

4.53/5  rDev +14.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

It's all about the hops with this delicious brew. This is not, chemical, harsh, in your face hops. This is smooth, sweet, piney, balanced, delicious hops. It may be a little one note for some but that not the point here. The point is to showcase hops like no other beer. I would drink this again and again and again. The high ABV is very tolerable and balanced but I recommend sharing with a friend - it's what god beers are made for anyway.

4.66/5  rDev +17.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Look - a nice hazy golden orange with a small off-white head and decent lacing.
Smell - nice aroma on this one: citrus, toffee, molasses, and booze.
Taste - citrusy hops, caramel and breads malts, and booze.
Feel - decent carbonation, full body, smooth finish.

4.57/5  rDev +15.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Is it a perfect IPA? Maybe, but I'll hold out hope that something even better is out there. I've got a case of 24 that has aged for over a year now and it's still fantastic/ getting better.

4.45/5  rDev +12.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

I've had this beer (ha) on three or four occasions, but I could never catch it in-stores. Quite the experience. Sophisticated, intermingling tropical fruits, earthen tones, and herbs do a phenomenal job of masking the potent ABV. You will know it's their without a doubt, but once you begin to acclimate it's rather inviting. It's not even comparable to the Dogfish Head 90 minute IPA. I don't know when it will be but I look forward to catching it again.

4.06/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Bottled 4/12/16, I think. It's a little hard to read, maybe 6/12/16.
Either 9 or 7 months in the bottle.
L. Murky orange to light brown with a short 1/2 cm head which recedes very slowly.
S. Big toffee and booze, more booze, then bitter citrus if get your nose in there, orange, lemon, grapefruit.
T. Oh yeah. Big sweetness, big bitterness, nice balance on the first sip. Second sip has me thinking of cough medicine. Third sip is bitter orange marmalade. My taste buds need to get dialed in to these big flavors and abv. Toffee and citrus seem most prevalent. As it warms there's caramel, spicy and sweet lemon, orange, brandy-soaked caramel apple. Aftertaste is the same with a little mouthwash in there.
F. Full mouthfeel, smooth, sticky. Warming but not really drying in the aftertaste.
O. The high abv didn't "burn," but had a flavor that was slightly off-putting, but a little age may change that. Would I buy a bottle again? Absolutely. Cheers!

3.58/5  rDev -9.8%

Very hard to rate this beer. On this snowy winter night, I poured the 120 into a pint glass & let it breathe for 10 minutes. Very cloudy with a medium head which thinned out over the 10 minutes. The first sip was like a blinding shot of bourbon - lots of alcohol heat and malty burnt butterscotch. At this point, I'm thinking I wasted $11 on the bottle (well, ~$90 on the two 4-packs). Halfway through, it had a whole different feel, much smoother and tastier - the burnt taste turned to pleasant piney citrus. And I liked it. Definitely a beer you only of which you have one or two at a time, not one to pound at a party. Gotta have another...but not until next weekend.

4.02/5  rDev +1.3%

On tap in a snifter at a local WOB. Thick creamy but short lived head atop a golden yellow body, good lacing. Boozy smell and taste. Butterscotch notes and some fruitiness. Nice beer for an occasional something different.

3.77/5  rDev -5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

120 ipa . . . Been sitting on this bottle since 2012.

Gotta admit, this beer has a very lovely look to it. Appearance is deep candy colored burnt orange. Thin head if at all. Aromas are almost barleywine like with a subdued hoppy nose. Caramel, molasses, leather . . . I honestly wouldn't think much about the aromas if I thought this was a newly bottled ipa. However, I know this is 4 years old so I'll have to take that into consideration.
Here we go . . . 2 quick small sips reveal a mature American barleywine flavor profile similar to Bigfoot or Old Stock. I actually think this beer is more reminiscent of an old ale than a barleywine which is what I was expecting. The hops are still present though not as dominant as though definitely were 4 years ago. Thin sweet, candy layers are upfront and a tangy alcohol finish on the end. Feel again is reminiscent of and old ale or American take on a barleywine. Sticky, thin, sugary and malty flavors and feel. This beer is hard to pin point on style and feel. I like this a lot . . . It's a big beer and not just because of the abv %. I'll be sipping this for the next hour at least. Overall, excellent beer . . . I personally wouldn't consider this an ipa but perhaps more of an American Barlywine or even an over the top example of an English Old Ale.
In closing . . . . If you like complex beers and perhaps want to over think things (nothing wrong with that) grab a bottle of this.

4.61/5  rDev +16.1%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

This is a monster of an IPA and it stands apart from most others I've had. At 18%, it hits you quickly, but it's got enough of a nice, smooth, almost honey-like flavor that you want to keep drinking it. An excellent offering from Dogfish Head.

4.09/5  rDev +3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Pours hazy orange with light fluffy head that disappears to nothing. No lacing. No biggie. Smells are strong alcohol and zesty citrus. Taste follows nose but more pronounced and more complex. Still strong abv heat. Abv actually takes the cake with this one followed by spicey citrus piney after taste. Light malty backing as well. Full bodied and med to high carbonation. Super tasty and totally different. Yet addicting. Of course ill seek this one out again.

4.07/5  rDev +2.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Hazy amber pour with short head that doesn't last long. Very light lacing

Smells mostly of malt and alcohol hints of piney hops

Sweet and malty at first with a little alcohol burn fading to faint hops. Finish is mostly dry. Light Bitter and a lingering light pine and citrus. As with warms i get a very light vanilla hint

I would buy and let it age to see. You don't have to worry about losing hops flavor because it's quite muted

4.23/5  rDev +6.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Type: .25L draft
Glass: Panama 66 snifter
From: Tiger! Tiger! in North Park (San Diego), Calif.
Price: $8.50
Purchased: Dec. 20, 2016
Consumed: Dec. 20, 2016
Reviewed as: American Double / Imperial IPA
Misc.: Board read 16 pct. ABV, but I still think it was 18 pct. ABV

First time I saw this one and insta-purchased it. Had been wanting to try this despite not really thinking much of the 60 (3.45) and thinking the 90 (4.08) was just good. Probably would have paid up to $10 and locked it down at $8.50 for a 500-ml. pour. Hoping to be in the 4.20 range.

Poured a deep gold hazy color with 3-to-4 fingers of white frothy-to-rocky head when I got it. Was quite dark in there, but appeared to be light bubbles coming up from the bottom of the glass. World-class uneven foamy lacing. World-class retention. (Sight - 4.50)

Smelled kind of a lot of mush up front, More malty than hoppy, getting caramel, toffee, brown sugar, maple syrup, sappy pine and hints of Citra and Cascade. Smelled more like an American Strong Ale or an American Barleywine than I would have thought. (Smell - 4.00)

Taste follows the nose as more of a strong ale or a barleywine, getting toffee, caramel, earthy leather, maple syrup, brown sugar, sappy pine, dates, raisins and dark fruits. Not picking up any specific hops. Crazy smooth for 18 (or 16) percent. (Taste - 4.25)

Medium body. Sticky texture. Lively carbonation. Earthy finish. (Feel - 4.25)

Wow. This was much better than I thought and much better than the 60 and the 90. Might have even underrated this a tad. (Overall - 4.25)

4.23 | 94 | A-

4.47/5  rDev +12.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

I had this from the tap at the Rehoboth restaurant. I was expecting a more bitter, over the top hoppy beer. This beer is just too thick and almost malty sweet. To be honest, it's too strong in the ABV to be an everyday beer. I'm glad I tried it, but I don't miss it.

4.37/5  rDev +10.1%
look: 4 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

Look: Comes out thick and oily for an IPA (although it is an Imperial). 1-finger head, but recedes quickly. Residual bubbling and lacing continues. Deep orange brown color.
Smell: Tons of citrus and tropical fruit. Quite a bit of booze comes through. Malty and caramelly.
Taste: A huge kick in the teeth with the first sip. Bitterness explodes. The bitterness is quickly overtaken by a shot of alcohol. The alcohol burn is bigger than expected. After the alcohol dissolve into your bloodstream, there is a brief taste of caramel, malt, bread, and yeast. Many different hop flavors take turns throughout (citrus, mango, pine, floral). Some fruit flavors linger behind after everything else fades.
Feel: Medium but almost full. Feels pretty thick, oily, and slick. A bit under carbed, but understandable.
Overall: Very powerful Imp IPA. Couldn't sit and drink a 4-pack of these though. More carbonation would be good. A slow sipper for sure. There is a decent amount of sweetness to help balance out the high IBUs.

120 Minute IPA from Dogfish Head Craft Brewery