120 Minute IPA | Dogfish Head Craft Brewery

User Reviews & Ratings
Reviews: 2,428 | Ratings: 8,610
Reviews by breadwinner:
2.9/5  rDev -29.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.75

Acknowledging this was a 9-month old bottle, so perhaps the more identifiable hop notes had disappeared by now, but otherwise I'm hard pressed to conceive how this can be called an IPA. Incredibly sweet, overwhelmingly so, the sweetness cut simply by the warming booze. Perhaps as it warmed some acidic hop notes emerge, but they're quiet at best and do nothing to stem the tide of sickeningly sweet malt and booze. I applaud the novelty of it all and the effort to experiment/expand our notion of beer...but this just falls incredibly flat.

I will preface this review by saying that I don't think I've ever rated a beer a full 5. The idea of finding a "perfect" beer is a little ludicrous, if you ask me. Poured from a 12oz bottle @ ~40F into an oversized short wine glass.

Appearance: Oh my goodness. Absolutely stunning. As I poured, it was a brilliant, bright orange color that reached a glowing, deep orange in the middle, and then slightly lighter at the top. It reminded me of the color of a ripe papaya - just the most vibrant, brilliant, gorgeous shade of orange that I've ever seen in a beer.

Smell: Intoxicating. If I had a slightly larger/wider snifter, I would have used it here. However, the wine glass with the taper at the top helped to gather the smells… certainly more so than a regular pint glass. I picked up many tropical notes including orange, grapefruit, and perhaps a hint of cantaloupe. I’m no expert in isolating specific smells/flavors, but I could tell that there was a lot going on here. I won’t attempt to name 10 different fruits/smells, because at some point the majority of them blend together into a heavenly tropical smell.

Taste: Mind-blowing. It really is something out of a fantasy. An explosion of juicy, bright tropical fruits massaged my palate as I let the sip rest on my tongue for a few seconds to warm up and soak in. The malt takes a back seat as you would expect, with the bitterness of the hops pushing all the right buttons. I absolutely love IPAs and DIPAs, so I can appreciate a good balance between bitterness and flavor. I love a good hop bomb, but those are easy to make. It is much more difficult to make a balanced IPA. I don’t like my IPAs to be too bitter or resinous, but I also don’t like them to be completely floral or citrusy without any bite to back up the flavor. They really nailed it — it’s got the perfect bitterness, a subtle but present floral taste that could easily be missed, and the citrus and tropical flavors launching a full-on assault of the palate. The taste of DFH 120 is simply too good to be overstated.

Mouthfeel: The DFH 120 mouthfeel fits my ideal criteria. At first there was a bit of a bite, like excess carbonation combined with the high alcohol content. The carbonation is right on the money, though. Not too much or too little. It’s juicy enough to wet your palate, but dry enough to have the perfect amount of bite. The high ABV warms the palate as well, but it’s not as hot as I expected it to be. I’ve definitely had hotter mouthfeels from DIPAs and Imperial Stouts around 10-15% ABV. For comparison, Surly Sÿx was significantly hotter at the same temperature than the DFH 120. They got the balance just right with this one. I noticed that when I smiled, the alcohol gave a nice little burn on my gums. It seems inconsequential, but it added to the enjoyment of this brew a lot.

Overall: This beer nearly drove me to tears. It is truly extraordinary. All I could think while drinking it was "WOW." It’s taken me a while to write this review, because my experience was beyond words. I got into craft beer around 2-3 years ago, taking brewery tours, hunting down rare/seasonal beers, trading with friends, and having tasting parties with friends and coworkers. Sometimes I would pay around 3-4 times the amount of a good craft 6-pack for a single bomber/750mL bottle of a rare brew. People are always astonished at the price of some of the rarer beers, most of them saying something along the lines of “that’s so overpriced.” Sometimes I agree — there are definitely some overpriced beers that are not good enough to warrant a $20+ asking price for a 750mL. I treat these beers like liquid gold, making sure to savor every drop. The moment I took my first sip of DFH 120, I was flooded with memories of my first really fresh IPAs and DIPAs. It brought back the excitement I used to get from finding an incredible new brew that pushed all of the right buttons for me — beautiful colors, intoxicating smells, bitter floral and citrus flavors, and a juicy mouthfeel, leaning towards the dry side. Dogfish Head 120 Minute IPA is everything that made me love craft beer in the first place. It has become my reference IPA. Something to compare all others to. Something to remember fondly. Something to define my tastes. It's hard to overstate my satisfaction.

Huge thanks to Dogfish Head for making one for the hardcore IPA fans. I think I can easily say that 120 Minute IPA has earned its way into one of my top 5 favorite beers of all time. If I’ve ever had anything close to a perfect beer, this is it. I’ve finally peaked. I guess that should make me sad because I don’t know if I’ll ever find anything more delicious, but it makes me happy, because I feel lucky to have been able to find, enjoy, and savor this exquisite brew over easily one of the best hours of my life. It is simply out of this world. It is everything that is craft beer. Bravo, Dogfish Head. Bravo.

If I was stranded on an island and I could only bring an endless supply of one type of beer with me, this would be the one. I do believe this is the greatest beer I've ever drank in my life. The flavor is awesome and the feeling I get from one is generally clean and positive. I think that sounds strange, but I believe it to be true. Every time I drink this beer I feel happy, whereas with some other beers (not all, of course) it can be quite the opposite.

I wish this beer was a person so I could be good friends with it.

4.95/5  rDev +20.4%

I'd say this is my hands down favorite beer. Some background on this review, only a few years ago I would only drink things like Coors Light, Rolling Rock, lighter beers, I enjoyed stouts as well, was the only unique beer I could drink, they had to be a non-coffee stout though, Guinness for example... I then moved on to a Cider kick and still do enjoy ciders especially anything from McKenzies. Then I saw this beer one night at a bar, had a buzz on and my buddy said he would give me a ride home and as a dumb drunk decision I chose the bars highest ABV beer they had.

And I was absolutely blown away by the taste, it didn't even taste like an IPA, this beer started my craving for all sorts of other IPAs and now I can drink American styled IPAs as long as they aren't super hoppy, this "IPA" as I like to describe it, is amazing, hands down my favorite beer.

It's hard to find but a local beer distributor near me is able to get it frequently now, $180 for a case, or I can wait in line with others in my local town for $150 cases at a different distributor. He will even hold one back for me since we have a mutual friend.

If you come across this beer, and it's not over $12, I HIGHLY recommend it, or if you haven't had them in awhile I would pay anywhere from $15-18 highly depending on location and how long it's been. My local distributor charges $36 for a FOUR pack, $180 for a case.

It's expensive BUT what I do as well, I buy a case, I drink 12 of them whenever I want to have one, and I am letting the others ferment in segments, 1 year, 2 year, 3 years, 4 years, 3 for each segment. I just started this journey of segmenting them but I am super stoked for November 12th 2017 for that 1 year mark for that 3 pack segment :-).

2.51/5  rDev -38.9%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

I always laugh when stores act all badass with this beer, like "LIMIT 1". . . That's one more than I'll ever want.

Looks dark gold, thin white head. Aroma was super boozy to the point of almost thinking fusel alcohol, but no, its just super hot.

Taste is a thick, viscous almost barleywine like double ipa, excessive bitterness. If you like bitter vodka shots, this is your jam.

When I think overrated sticky high alpha hop methodology with little hop flavor, this be thy name.

2.48/5  rDev -39.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

Growing up in South Jersey, Dogfish Head was my introduction to craft beer. I've always been a fan of 60, 90, and chicory stout, but Sam Calagione's general attitude and approach to brewing has always driven me up a wall. Rather than putting forth ANY effort to craft a decent, nuanced beer, he makes novelties. I'd knock them for just trying to remain relevant, but it's always been their approach. "I bet if I brew this beer to 55% abv, use an old board game to create a continuous hopping mechanism, and include an ingredient from every continent, History Channel will give me a show!"

This beer is pretty bad, and people give it decent ratings only because it's a novelty. Oh yeah, don't age it. Dogfish never really understood cellaring beer, and when they realized same, they peppered their website with nonsense like "people may tell you that you shouldn't age fresh, hoppy ales, but remember, do what you love." If you give this a full year in pitch black at cellar temps, it comes out tasting like the same beer but more astringent. A true disaster.

Look: Actually good. Incredible amount of legs on the thing because it's Port strength. 3.5

Smell: Alcohol. Incredibly astringent. There may even be a beer down there that wants to smell like something, but it can't. 2.25

Taste: Alcohol. Again, please note, there is a beer under there, and you may taste some fruity hops trying to punch through. This might entice you to let this beer age for a while, but don't be fooled. Those beer flavors are the first to go when this baby spends some time in a cellar. 2.5

Feel: I don't even know; my mouth is numb. I would guess 190 proof everclear mixed with orange juice, but I haven't touched that since high school, so I can't confirm. I think I'll say 2.25

Overall: Go away Dogfish. 2.5

1.46/5  rDev -64.5%

Anybody who's had a colonoscopy knows how hard it is to drink the prep. You hold your nose and do anything possible to distract yourself from the thick sickenly sweet, perfumely, pungent, syrup that's about to enter your body. I find myself doing the same with this brew. The sweetness is too much to take. The smell is not pleasant, and the mouth feel, combined with the above conspires to make the whole experience unpleasant. I tried really hard to finish the bottle, but alas, it's down the drain.

4.24/5  rDev +3.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.75

To be fair, I tasted this one after it had been aged for years, and can't say what it's like fresh. But this one, while awesome and powerful, may be too powerful for any one man to handle, like a genie, or a nuke. Tons of flavor, but perhaps too rich. I forget the abv of that particular one, but it was probably up to at least 20% by the time I had it. So heavy, it almost clogs your throat. The hops are choked, suffocated, and smothered with a pillow by the malts who seem to have grown in power of the years. I love this beer the way I love those ridiculous Fast and Furious movies - I feel like a testosterone junkie just being in the same room with it. I'd have it again when I feel like doing some serious damage to my body - yes, this is about as masochistic a beer as I can remember having.

4.88/5  rDev +18.7%

bottled on 5/10/07 for consumption on 7/21/14

Appearance - pours a muddy, brackish plum-brown. Just a faint cover of bubbles, barely sustaining a collar.

Aroma - rum-soaked shortbread and caramel. A boozy citrusy element that is not like Grand Marnier, but it makes me think of it just the same. A touch of plums and soy.

Taste - hard Christmas candy with the weird fruit filling. Light citrus but its there. Extremely warming in the throat and belly, mmm. A light smack of hops, not near enough to balance, just gives a little nip. Some light soy and/or anise as well. Lots of fun flavors to pick out and enjoy. Unbelievably easy to drink for its strength. Yes, the alcohol is certainly evident but the beer's flavors are plenty intense and integrated enough for it to work out wonderfully.

Mouthfeel - impressive carbonation seven+ years later. The body is big without becoming heavy, which could lend too much weight to the sugary aspects of the beer.

Overall - Excellent stuff at both three and seven years, I'll give a new bottle a whirl next time, though I suspect fresh hops rule the day. Toasting 20K on the fitbit - cheers!
***

2003 Edition sampled on 3/18/06
Appearance - pours a clouded light orange color, a snappy but short-lived head on top. 3.5

Aroma - a new experience on this one. I pick up the initial expected fruit and booziness, though not to the degree I expected. But then I get this unmistakeable spicy aroma. A cooking spice, what is it, I know the smell...then it hits my brain - curry! Are my hands clean? Sure enough, and I just washed out the glass from my last beer. Sniff again - curry again. Perhaps this is the effect on my senses when hops get over-saturated into a beer? I don't know. I like curry but I am unsure of what to expect on the taste. 3.5

Taste - wow. No curry here, but this is in the 'beer candy' genre. Intensely sweet, as if it's been concentrated. Orange candy, honey, pineapple, some mildly spicy hop component, and now and then a breath of that curry, but barely. Big alcohol finish, but not as brash as I thought it'd be. Beautifully supportive of the hops flavor, I don't think I can remember a beer being so hoppy and yet so sweet instead of bitter. Without fail, every time I take a sip, I get a whiff of that curry, but it generally does not appear in the flavor profile with any force. Finishes wet, warm and coating. 5

Mouthfeel - very thick, the carbonation holds its own among the heavyweight flavors. 5

Drinkability - I am so glad I grabbed this and am hopeful that I can wait another 5 or 6 years to sample the other one. 5

4.47/5  rDev +8.8%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a Surly Darkness chalice glass. 2014 bottle.

Appearance: Pours a hazy golden orange with a lot of bubbles. About one finger of off white head that slowly fades into a thin creamy layer.

Smell: An earthy, juicy, and boozy hop forward aroma with hints of citrus, grass, and caramel malt. Earthy and herbal hops with big hints of spicy pine resin and wet grass. Citrus hop hints of grapefruit, orange peel, lemon, pineapple, and melon. Sweet hints of brown sugar and vanilla. Big malt backing with sweet hints of caramel, toffee, biscuit, grains, and yeast. Alcohol is quite noticeable. A pretty good aroma.

Taste: Like it smells, a huge earthy, juicy, and boozy hop forward taste with big notes of citrus, pine, and sweet malt. Upfront earthy, herbal, and floral hops with dank and spicy notes of pine resin and grass. Juicy citrus hop notes of grapefruit, orange peel, lemon, pineapple, and melon. Sweet taste of brown sugar and some subtle notes of vanilla and other candied sugar. Big malt background with notes of sweet caramel, toffee, grains, biscuit, and yeast. Fairly boozy. A very good aggressive taste.

Mouthfeel: Very full bodied with a moderate amount of carbonation. Very oily, chewy, and drying. Alcohol heat is pretty noticeable but it’s not too extreme.

Overall: A very good monster of a beer. Huge aggressive bitter hops with an almost equally big sweet malt backing. It’s almost too much but it’s quite good as a sipper.

4.13/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Fresh ass bottle... bottled 4/8, poured 5/4. I know, people say to age it or whatever, well I wanted to try it fresh. $12 for a 12oz bottle. My "May the 4th be With You" beer. Off we go.

Appearance: Who saw that coming? This is a hazy copper orange color with half a finger of a creamy head and a fair amount of lacing. I was anticipating a flat looking beer... this looks fantastic.

Smell: Intensely huge. Lots of alcohol, but also quite a bit of fruity hops with great malt sweetness. For some reason, all together, I actually get a slight maple syrup aroma out of this at times which I think is phenomenal... now that I'm thinking about it, maple syrup barrel aged IPA, anyone?

Taste/feel: Well, follows the nose. What a monster. The alcohol in one sense is really well hidden -- I don't think this is a very hot beer. It's not burning me going down. Also, I don't find that it dries my mouth up after every sip. However... there's a definite boozy taste, but that's to be expected at 18%. Pretty intense alcohol flavor up front fades with loads of fruity and tropical tasting hops with a surprisingly not overbearing amount of malt sweetness... I figured this would be super sweet, boozy, and hot, and it's not all that. The feel is syrupy in body, but there's a nice bit of lively carbonation to balance it out.

First sniff and taste I wasn't huge on this... but it has grown on me. This beer reminds me of Moltov Cocktail Heavy just in that it's the only triple IPA I've had at 18%. For me, Heavy is a slightly sweeter and definitely hotter beer with a little more flavor depth. 120 is actually a little bitter (or at least less sweet), but the flavors aren't quite as good.

120 is fabulous. It's definitely a beer that's maybe too intense for its own good, but that's the point of it. I know Dogfish says this ages well, but I don't know if I would bother doing that as it would just taste like sweet booze.. I enjoy the hop characteristics and everything that it is right now. If I had a handful of bottles, I'd try aging one, but to me, you're better off drinking this one fresh.

4.47/5  rDev +8.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

LOOKS: A clear, rich dark amber with a small khaki head that recedes quickly. Lacing oozes down the side of the glass.
AROMA: Alcohol, toffee, varnish, citrus and pine undertones.
TASTE: Lots of toffee/caramel, alcohol in the finish, but not really harsh. Woody quality, citrus peel is there but subtle. Pleasant building numbing sensation as I sip.
FEEL: Full body, plenty of fizz, sticky and dry on finish.
OVERALL: This really grew on me as I sipped it.

4.74/5  rDev +15.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Finally decided that because I got hired for a new job, I had to open my 120 that was bottled in September 2014. It's the first time I'm having one and I couldn't wait any longer.

A: Hazy, dark orange/brown. I'm unable to physically see my fingers through the glass.

S: I was surprised here. I was expecting a harsh west coast smell, but it's actually much more malty, with a subtle smell of hops, and alcohol on the back.

T: Starts off almost like a white wine, with a malty back, and then a slight bitter hops, before the booze hits on the back. Not at all like any beer I've had, and it almost pushes a wine/liquor drink. It has a roasty oak flavor that is something special as well. As it warms a more grapefruit note comes through as the malt takes a back seat.

F: Not the thickest beers I've drank, but it has some body. It actually is quite smooth, and carbonated well. I've had a 16% before, and this one is 100x easier to drink than the 16% I had.

O: As I find myself getting boozed up off of one beer, I can't help but be amazed at what I'm drinking. It's an experience like no other, and just because it's a 120 min IPA, don't expect it to be a hop bomb. It's very complex, and is something everyone needs to be willing to throw the money at and try.

3.98/5  rDev -3.2%

Has a nice aroma of caramel,orange,alcohol,and malt
Taste follows the nose,not too sweet,definitely not too bitter, and the malt really stands out. The alcohol is barely hidden and also has an impact on the taste. It is worth the investment to try,not necessarily worth investing in another bottle

3.94/5  rDev -4.1%

bottle from a 2003 batch, reviewed in May of 2006.

A: deep golden, turning to medium brown body. little to no head, though its more carbonation than I expected for the age of this bottle. doesnt look likemuch but I didnt buy it to look at it.

S: loads of sugar, and sweet candied fruit, raisons, some more tropical as well. no hops whatsoever. a little booze and a bit of toffee. plenty of carmelization.

T/M: nice viscosity, thick but coating and pretty drinkable considering. lots o' malt and sugar. very sweet. the hops have completely faded from this brew leaving this big thick and sweet body thats out of balance. plenty of juicy tropical fruits, even some candy qualities, a little cloying. hints of rum.

D: what can one say? a 21% DIPA? come one. this beer exists in its own world where mere mortal language and concepts arent sufficient. who knows? just drink one and you know what can never be said.

while my score for this isnt very high I enjoyed this brew and was impressed at how well it held up. the label says you can age it for a decade or so but i suspect you'd have really expensive paint thinner by then and not much else. get this sucker fresh, despite the alcohol content, dont make the mistake of cellaring this thing.

4.33/5  rDev +5.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Dogfish 120 Minute 12oz. Bottle (dated 07/22/15) from Mary for Christmas purchased at Copper Vine, poured into a Stone IRS snifter.

A - A normal pour creates 1-finger of dense, khaki head. The body is a very hazy, burnt orange, looking almost like a pulpy fruit juice. There are small bubbles consistently making their way toward the surface behind the cloudy body. The head sustains at 1/4 finger ring around the edges, and a thin, lacy film through the middle. There are really nice, lacy rings left on the glass.

S- I'm initially hit by a load of hops, mostly grapefruit, but there's a big, sweet, malt backbone behind it that comes off as caramel or English toffee. Another whiff and the aroma melds into a tobacco leaf and leathery goodness. Within the sweetness, the alcohol becomes apparent. Not harsh, but something of fruit brandy (like apricot or even a cherry cordial). Hops become more spicy too.

T- Whoa! There's a lot going on here. Very sweet up front, something like brown sugar and maple syrup. Then the hops kick in through the middle, bringing a leafy and spicy quality. The finish is a combination of the sweet and hoppy. More of the brown sugar, but with a juicy hop that combines grapefruit and spicy aspects. Things don't change too much with warmth, but become more pronounced. The spicy hops begin to hint at freshly cracked black pepper toward the end.

M- Very full bodied. High viscosity. The hops provide a spicy bite and combine with the extreme ABV that adds a smooth, warm heat. All in all, the finish becomes rather dry after the syrupy sweet mouthful.

O- I'm so glad my wife pulled the trigger for me. I've been tempted every time I see it on the shelf, but walked away due to the cost combined with an apprehension over the perceived flavor profile. This is definitely a one and done sipper for the evening, but I'd be more than tempted to pick up a few more, maybe one to drink fresh and one to lay down for some aging.

4.5 4.5 4.25 4.25 4.25

3.18/5  rDev -22.6%

Too boozy for me brah

3.6/5  rDev -12.4%

This thing is a in a class by itself.
Its a beast.
To me its not a beer, its carbonated Liquor!
Really, its more of a barley wine then an IPA to me...

My first attempt at DFH120 was a fresh bottle - its just different than anything I have had. Not sure how to explain it but its something to check off the list.
I have a 2nd bottle aging for little over a year now, I am anxious to see how it has changed with age........will update review when I have it.

4.78/5  rDev +16.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Knocked me on my ass. This is the purple drank of beers.

I can't do a fair review until I get the opportunity to have another one, but it was the best beer I've ever had. The distribution range is pretty limited, unfortunately. The 60-minute is also incredible if you can't spring for the alcohol content. But you can. I mean, come on.

4.89/5  rDev +19%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

I drove four hours for the privilege of finally having this beast on tap at the Dogfish Head 20 Beers for 20 Years event at World of Beer in St. Petersburg, Florida on Friday night. I came for the 120 and stayed for all the other great brews that DH has to offer, and this monster alone – my very first 120 Minute – was well worth every mile.

Served on draught into a snifter as a far too generous pour for something with this high an ABV. Damn, I am grateful to the bartender, but it looks like I won't be going anywhere for a while tonight...

L: Hazy bright orange-copper topped with a thin ring of head displaying good retention and solid, sticky lacing.

S: Fruitcake and booze, all the way. Surprisingly not a lot in the way of classically recognizable hops in the nose, but the distinctive fruitcake aroma is quite inviting. I'm not a fruitcake hater, unlike as is the fashion, but I'm not exactly a huge fan either. However I will say that if fruitcake tasted as delicious as this smelled, I would absolutely enjoy the Christmas season quite a bit more.

T: BOOZE. Wow. This wicked brew gives you about a second of false security after hitting the tongue before quickly building the alcohol to a punch in the face crescendo, backed by a short blast of prickly carbonation over a strong malty backbone, accompanied by a vibrant and solid kick of flamboyant citrus and piney resinous hops. The booziness reaches a sharp spike and then gradually trails off to reveal a malty maraschino cherry flavor with a bit of a medicinal note, before melting away to more completely showcase the hop profile. As many others have said, being so strong and malty this beer definitely has quite a bit of a barleywine character but, amazingly, this is still, somehow, resolutely an IPA. At eighteen goddamn percent. I don't know which volcano and/or ancient god these guys sacrificed a virgin to in order to pull off this brewing miracle, but hoo lawd, well done!

F: Thick and resinous, this stuff coats the tongue and sticks around for quite some time after every sip. Not an absolutely complete palate-wrecker, but balancing on a knife edge of that distinction. You won't think you're drinking water, that's for damn sure.

O: Wonderful. An incredibly unique and well-crafted bruiser of a brew, this was an absolutely sublime experience and well worth the wait. I can now die happy.

4.18/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

12oz bottled 1/14/15 poured into a tulip glass at 55 degrees F. No ABV listed on bottle. The beer is reddish, copper color with tan head. Retention is good for a 28 month old beer and there is more lacing than I expected. There is quite a bit of sediment for a beer that's been in a refrigerator at 55 degrees, but I poured aggressively to produce a one inch head. Aroma is sweet caramel and a hint of booze. There is also some pine from what's left of the hops. The taste is sweet smooth malt and dark fruit at first, followed by piney bitterness on the backend. The mouthfeel is rich and full transitioning to bitterness and a moderate alcohol bite. Carbonation is still abundant. Overall, very good. I purchased this 2 years ago and intended to age it and drink as a barley wine. I may have jumped the gun by a year or two. I've had this fresh and it's too much for me (overwhelming bitterness). I think a few more years would really smooth it out, but I could just buy DFH Olde School which is pretty smooth at two years.

3.62/5  rDev -11.9%

I've really wanted to try this beer for a long time but thought that I would have to travel out of Indiana to get some but little did I know that last week my liquor store in Brownsburg got a few cases! At $10 a pop I only got 2 but I was excited.

A - Deep orange color. Pours thick! Totally opaque from all the hops and malt packed into this beer. Light white head with light lacing.

S - Very strong malt character with lots of alcohol and some raw citrus-type hops. Not any where near the hop smell that I expected. Smells more like a strong barley wine with the malty backbone forcing most of the aromatics.

T - The first sip there are lots of flavors but mostly the rich malt character holds true, then the alcohol "flavor" more than just heat and then the hop resins come with some flavor but mostly just bitterness. The bitterness seems to mask the late addition hops making it feel more like a hop bomb instead of showcasing individual hop flavors. It feels like the alcohol burn sticks to the back of your mouth from the beer's thickness and the hops you can't just exhale the booziness.

M - Super high mouth-feel with lighter carbonation. The thickest IIPA I could ever had even dreamed of; it's basically a 20% American Barley Wine with less of the caramel tones and color.

Overall, a different DIPA experience and not my favorite. I still think that the best way to describe this beer is a super-charged Barley Wine. The alcohol heat burns the hops into your throat. I was disappointed by this beer especially when comparing this to the amazing 90-Minute IPA from DFH which is has tons of hop flavor, aroma, and bitterness along with the malt and alcohol but this is the complete opposite. I love hops, bitterness, and straight booze but I think the thickness along with the alcohol burn killed it for me. I will try my other one after a couple other beers to really put me down and hopefully after a few beers the burn won't be so devastating.

Glass- Snifter

4.15/5  rDev +1%

This one is weird, but not in a bad way. As long as one doesn't expect a "normal" IPA.

Because of the super-high ABV, I knew I had to pour it emphatically to get any kind of head. Doing so yields a thin, light amber head that quickly dissipates in a wisp of foam floating at the top. The smell is pleasant - but not overpowering. To me, it doesn't smell as boozy as it is. There is hops, but it's actually more subdued. Very light citrus, almost no piny-ness to speak of.

The taste is where any divisiveness will really surface. Those expecting mouth-puckering tanginess because of the high hops content will be disappointed. The flavor borders on sweet. For 18%, I get very little alcohol burn in the mouth and throat. It is surprisingly smooth. Carbonation is moderate, and there is a bit of creaminess. This beer *might* possibly go well with certain desserts.

At the potency and price, this is not a beer to drink more than one of at a time, or even on the same day. It should be an occasional indulgence, unless one has bottomless pockets and a very high tolerance for alcohol.

It would be a great prank to pour one of these for an unsuspecting Bud drinker, except that it's such an over the top ale that the person would likely not drink more than an ounce of it. Too expensive to be used in a prank.

In fact, this beer is absurdly expensive. Is it worth the exceptionally high price? Probably not. Is it worth the occasional splurge for a bottle. Probably.

4.76/5  rDev +15.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

It's all about the hops with this delicious brew. This is not, chemical, harsh, in your face hops. This is smooth, sweet, piney, balanced, delicious hops. It may be a little one note for some but that not the point here. The point is to showcase hops like no other beer. I would drink this again and again and again. The high ABV is very tolerable and balanced but I recommend sharing with a friend - it's what god beers are made for anyway.

Update: Just cracked open a 1 year old aged version of this beer and all I can say is WOW. The little bit of aging just smoothed this beer out. It just reached another dimension for me.

Dogfish Head makes the best craft brews. I’ve been waiting a long time to taste this beer since the tv episode “Don’t cry over spilled 120”. I can tell you one thing, I would most definitely cry! Love the bottled stuff however the draft version seems to last a while longer :)

120 Minute IPA from Dogfish Head Craft Brewery