120 Minute IPA | Dogfish Head Craft Brewery

ABV varies from 15-20%.

Added by frank4sail on 03-24-2003

Reviews: 2,284 | Ratings: 8,084
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

This beer poured a hazy brown color with a ½” creamy head – nice lacing. The aroma is initially of hops with a subtle sourness perceptible. The taste is definitely strong of hops. There is a balancing sweetness from the malt, but the hops definitely dominate. The finish is quite bitter, but not overwhelming. The mouthfeel is full and seems appropriate for the beer. I had a preconceived notion that this would be an intensely hoppy brew that was one dimensional. It has a nice amount of malt and is quite enjoyable. (Sometimes it is nice being wrong).

3.55/5  rDev -10.6%

Calling this an I.P.A. is ridiculous. Everything about the flavor says barleywine. It has that characteristic buttery fruit aroma common in barleywines and it was surprisingly not hoppy given the name. Sweet and alcoholic and definitely best in small doses. It was odd to look at it next to the 60 and 90 Minute. The 60 was by far the palest but the 90 seemed just a hair darker than the 120 and had a better head.

3.55/5  rDev -10.6%

A: Deep caramel brown/orange or the color of really rusty water. No transparency at all. Barely a head. Carbonation is there, but hard to view it.

S: Sweet molasses, burnt caramel, slight floral pine aroma, fermented juice, the high alcohol is perceived just at the end.

T: Tremendous sweet and tart collision right at the beginning. Lots of malt notes, baked breads, warm biscuits. The hops are in there but they are submerged under a burden of malt.

M: Creamy, chewy, astringent just for a passing moment.

D: This is a beer to be a appreciated more than drank. It's heavy and the taste can be shocking to the unaccustomed. I've had this beer before and it always takes a gracious amount of time and a lot of little sips in order to retire it.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

bottled 2/9/09. poured cold from the bottle an opaque copper'd orange to a portsmouth brewery balloon glass with a short lasting foamy off white head

aroma of floral and citrus hops, caramel and toffees. sticky sweet.

citrus, hard candy, earthy hops, and fairly hot.

big bodied, medium carbonation, smooth, creamy, subtle bitter.

interesting, but not sure I'd visit again.

3.55/5  rDev -10.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

I read about this monster, found it at a local Whole Foods, and just had to have a taste.

Ten month old bottle (vintage 11/06/08) poured into oversized wine glass.

A: The color is impressive, looks like a mixed orange juice and rum drink (sorry, it's the best I could describe lol).

S: Brown sugar overpowers, with Maple Syrup and orange undertones.

T: Very sweet. Extremely sweet in fact. Hops are completely overpowered, so it was weird to drink expecting a Double IPA. Alcohol comes through at the end and warms the throat, makes me shiver!

M: Oily and not extremely pleasant.

D: Good luck drinking another, I was feeling buzzed a third of the way through and I don't think I'm much of a lightweight!

Notes: Wow, I think the thing to expect with this beer is not beer but instead, make sure you think of this as a mixed drink in a bottle. It's ok, nothing I'd recommend more than once for the experience.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

A: cloudy orange, minimal clarity, thick bubbly white head, thick lacing

S: nose features a huge sweet malt profile with lots of molasses, some honey, this is followed by assertive hop profile that leans the tHe earthy resinous side of things. The booziness is reminiscent of a spirit... Maybe a vodka

T: taste starts off very malty and sweet, some of the sweetness is cut with pine cones, this is followed by significant alcohol heat... Considering the abv it is decently balanced. Kinda tastes like a 90 minute with a shot dropped in it. This seems more like a gimmick than an enjoyable drinking experience.

Mf: body is relatively light considering the robust alcohol content, high carbonation

O: glad to have finally tried this, not really my thing, I'm all for ipas and high gravity brews, but this one goes into the range of being too much

3.55/5  rDev -10.6%

12 ounce bottle, most expensive of that size I have bought.

Appearance is a dark golden color with a smallish head.
It smells boozy, some vinegar, some sweetness. The taste is carbonated, molasses, sugar, hops, very thick. Mouthfeel seems to be a combination of a strong barleywine and a DIPA with an extra couple punches. This beer is serious, as you could easily see just be looking at the ABV. Drinkability was fine for one of these. I was glad that I finally had one, a very unique and good beer.

3.55/5  rDev -10.6%

The light golden brew arrived at the table with a low but persistent head. The aroma was resinous of hops, but still subtle and not overdone. You can sense malt in the background behind the hop aromas. As it warms a huge alcohol aroma develops which overwhelms the senses. The flavor is cloyingly sweet but contains grapefruit and citrus which are well balanced. In 10-15 seconds after sipping the sweetness dissapates into an infectious dryness which evolves into and alcohol warmth that lasts. The balance is well done once the cloying sweetness is gone.

It would be difficult to consume much of this. More of an apertif than a beer, and if the alcohol did not deter you, the sweetness would.

3.55/5  rDev -10.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Aggressively poured into a pint glass. This might be the second time I've had this but I can't fully remember.

A: pours a dark amber for me, bit hazy, with a nice light golden head which died quickly. Left minimal lacing.

S: alcohol, candy, bit of hops(grapefruit?, perhaps lime) on the nose, alcohol.

T: alcohol, candy, faint hit of hop spice initially then malty/sweet body. I get some hop bitterness after swallowing but it dies quickly.

M: seems a bit thin for the ABV.

O: I think I like the 90min better. Despite the 120IBU touted, I don't get it, and for that I'm disappointed. Regardless, this is fairly well balanced for the ABV. Perhaps they should call it '120 minute IP Barley Wine'.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Curiosity got the best of me on this one. While it was a very great quality IPA, I have a hard time justifying buying a case of beer for over 40 dollars let alone 200, but I was given the opportunity to buy a bottle for 10 bones from a friend. One bottle had me feeling it. Very nice to sit with and sip on slowly. Should be served at a warmer temperature than most. Again, final regards are that this beer is very good but no where near worth what it is priced at. I'm pretty sure it's hand-bottled, which means that most of the money is just going to employees that haven't been replaced by machines yet. Good for the economy bad for my wallet.

3.54/5  rDev -10.8%

A - Orange. Created half a finger of head upon pour, that receded into nothing in a matter of seconds.
S - Orange, grapefruit, apricots, plums and other stone fruits make their presence felt.
T - Oh boy, this is where it is becoming undone...supremely phenolic. No attempt has been made to hide the alcohol, and that is a major distraction. I really had to nurse this one through, with a glass of water, just like I would have done with a shot of bourbon.
M - Alcohol all over the place, just feeling the burn and not much else.
O - 3.5/5 and I'm being very generous. Glad to have tried it, and glad to have purchased just the one bottle. I doubt if there will be a repeat.

3.54/5  rDev -10.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

2012 Vintage, at this age it's an unbalanced, heavy barleywine. Sure it's complex, but there's nothing pleasant about this. If I try this again it will be fresh or aged +5 years. I don't get the hype

3.54/5  rDev -10.8%

Tried this beer randomly, was 11$ for a single 12 oz. bottle. When I opened it it smelled so good, the fruits instantly hit my nose. The taste was okay too, however the feel was horrible. It didn't go down well at all, most likely due to the 18-20% alcohol content. I tried to split it with my girlfriend at the time because I couldn't just commit alcohol abuse, we ended up drinking most of it together and I poured out the last 1/8th of it, which by then I was feeling pretty buzzed. The notes on this beer are very strong, but so is the alcohol. If im not mistaken I tried the 60 minute too and it tasted and felt the same just with less alcohol. Would probably never buy again but it was definitely worth the try.

3.53/5  rDev -11.1%

Finally got to try the big one. At $8.00 for a 12 ounce bottle and 21%ABV, not for the faint of heart. A pretty red/orange color with a medium head that quickly dissipated. All I could smell was sweet fruit and alcohol. The taste followed the odor: sweet,sweet fruit, alcohol, with a hops coming in later. A very thick, rich mouthfeel. I started with it chilled, let it sit, and finished it at room temperature. Definitely better at room temperature. I'd look at this as a dessert beer, and would figure that 6-12 ounces would be my limit.

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Really pretty clear golden orange in the glass with surprisingly larger head than you would expect with a beer this big. White head melts quickly but never goes away...remains a sticky ring all the way down the glass.

Aromas are fruity, tropical, and piney.

A definite sipper. Flavors are intensely sweet tropical candy and alcohol with a lot of pine oils that sort of stick to your tongue.

3.53/5  rDev -11.1%

Poured from a 12oz bottle, hazy orange hue. Extra points for head retention on such a high ABV beer. Very sweet fruity aroma. Taste is amazingly sweet with a bit of alcohol on the finish and a small amount of hops trying to come through. The finish actually reminds me of cotton candy it is so sweet. Mouthfeel is very rich and creamy. This is not a beer that has a high drinkability, this is something that you split a 12oz bottle of with a friend. Definately worth a try if you can find it.

3.53/5  rDev -11.1%

I'm not a great fan of IPAs. I've enjoyed them in the past, but they are not something I seek out. This, however, is a DIPA and my first.

I've never sought this beast out even though it gets written up a lot. I've had their 60 minute IPA, and to be honest it was too hoppy. I cannot imagine the 90 minute IPA. The 120 was something I was afraid to even think of. Tonight is the first time I ever saw it at a store. I had to get it even for $6.99 for a 12 oz bottle. I had some excitement to have such a highly praised brew.

Appearance: decent, dark amber color. I poured lightly so not much of a head, but a little head present contains lacing (impressive amount of lace).

Smell: hmmm....soap. As intense hop smell as any I've ever smelt. So much so, that my excitement faded a bit thinking it would taste like every other IPA. I do enjoy the smell of hoppy beers, I just generally don't like the flavors very much.

After a few drinks I started to notice some sweet maple scents. Not bad, very interesting.

Taste: unexpected....totally unexpected. Not sure how to describe, so I shall use stream of conscience for it. Very sweet. Almost like a Belgian dubel in sweetness. Smoky caramel with maple syrup. Medicine flavor. The medicine is the only trace of alcohol I can pick up. For such an extremely high alcohol content, I've never had something so balanced. Too sweet, too syrupy.

Mouthfeel: full bodied....not much carbonation. Syrupy...every much so.

Drinkabilty: I poured half a 12 oz bottle in a small glass...I'm through about 3/4ths of it and feel like I've been kicked in the ass. Not very drinkable.

Notes: I'm impressed with this. Not sure I like it so much, but I'm impressed. It is very complex, extremely complex. The complexity is what makes me give it a 4 for taste. My initial take on drinkabilty is 2.5, but after thinking about it I'll give it a 3.0 because I want to try this again, just not right now.

I'm interested in reviewing this again.

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from bottle with brew on date 2011 into tulip glass. not sure what month.

Amber in color with massive 3 finger head. You know it's going to be a big profile.

Smells bready, syrupy, a bit estery. Certainly hop presence but not nearly what I expected.

Taste is very boozy, a bit syrupy with a strong presence of hops but it's not a very complex imperial flavor.

Mouth feel is ok. Smooth, but not enough efervescent or pre syrupy.

I was a bit let down by this beer. I am a big fan of the brewer and 90 minute but was hoping for something alon the lines of a dreadnaught with massive complex aroma of pine, citrus and floral along with the taste. Maybe I should have let it age? 2nd bottle I've had

Served in Chimay goblet, on tap at 99 Bottles in Carnegie, PA. $12

Thin off white head recedes quickly, but sticks around as a thin surface cover. The body has a golden brown color, much like a whisky. Surprising clarity. You can see straight through this ale.

Smells of juicy citrus, prominently grapefruit. When I say juicy, I mean JUICY.

Grapefruit, grainy alcohol heat. Hops tickle the tongue, complimenting the moderately boozy mouthfeel.

Yeah, it was good. Nothing to go crazy over, and if not for the limited availability, not really worth the price. I know, it's meant to be a bit one-dimensional when fresh, but I felt it was just a little too... one dimensional. Would be interesting in trying it aged.

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A - Dark, peach colored beer with a slight white head that bubbled up momentarily and faded away to a partial cap. That didn't stay for long either.

S - Smells pretty sweet, like a bit of a concentrated IPA. There's a lot of citrus in this one, some sweet oranges mostly. Pretty concentrated with candy and alcohol.

T - Quite sweet. Lots of candied sugar and candied oranges just like on the nose. The hops are a touch of pine, but mostly highly concentrated tropical fruit. There is a little bit of vanilla that is kind of obliterated by the alcohol.

M - Syrupy, fairly full bodied with active carbonation. A little dry on the finish.

O - A sipper. Too sweet and too boozy to drink particularly fast. It's okay, but for the price there's no way I'd buy this one again.

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Had this back in 2009 on tap and loved it, when I knew very little about beer. Was excited to try the new version on draft too. On tap at the Meddlesome Moth, served in a wine glass. From notes:

A - almost no head, pretty normal for a high alcohol beer. A few patches stick around while you're drinking. Clear golden orange color. I remember the last version being a fair amount darker than this one.

S - hops first and foremost, for sure. Citrus and lots of booze. Honestly, aroma is more muted than I'd have hoped. Smells a lot more like a DIPA than the one from a couple years back, though.

T - Piney hops and alcohol. Again, more like a DIPA than the previous style. It isn't my favorite style, so a bit of a bummer, but more like the style, so can't ding it for personal preference. However, the taste wasn't that complex. Some citrus, then some caramel/vanilla in the background, but the hops and booze dominate so much that it's not that enjoyable.

M - so very viscous, boozy, and heavy, like drinking liquor. Not that I didn't expect that. A lot of carbonation, considering what it is. I would have preferred a little less.

D/O - sip, sip, sip. I do not want to drink the 2011 version again anytime soon. That thing needs some age on it. Got a bottle a few months ago and plan to hold on to it for at least a couple of years. Hopefully the hops will mellow out and then other aromas and flavors will come out. Hope it becomes something more like the beer I had a couple of years ago.

12 oz Bottled 5/1/09 poured into a snifter

A-Pours a clear copper with a one finger off white head that had decent retention and left a fair amount of sticky lace.

S-Syrupy sweet, a bit of booze, slightly hoppy, very malty.

T-Very sweet caramel and fruit flavors are predominant. Slightly hoppy, very malty. Very rich.

M-Surprisingly smooth for a beer of this magnitude. Crisp, yet somehow still slightly creamy, oily and slick.

D-Its a sipper for sure. And one is certainly enough.

Seems more like an English Barleywine to me. Certainly an interesting beer that is fun to try, but this will be a once a year thing at most.

3.53/5  rDev -11.1%

Bottle from Potsdam IGA. Split with a friend.

A - Hazy dark gold. One finger of thick white head. Strong carbonation streaming up the glass. Tons of boozy legs when swirled, no lace but a film of retention.

S - Tons of pineapple, booze, glazed pineapple and cherry, sweet smelling.

T - A huge hop profile that doesn't quite balance with the huge alcohol. All the elements of booze, hops, and sweet malt seem to balance though. Lot's of pineapple from the hops and a very sweet note from the malt, almost too sweet. A strong alcohol element is there too.

M - Not bitter in any sense of the term when the alcoholic finish comes through. Fairly well carbonated. Big syrupy body.

O/D - Odd. A very boozy, sweet, and hoppy beer. Probably needs more hops. An extreme beer in every sense of the term. Nice. I was happy to try it but didn't exactly enjoy it as a DIPA. Extremely drinkable and smooth. A solid beer, but too boozy for me.

look: 3 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 12 oz brown bottle into a clear glass snifter. Bottled on 07/22/11 on the bottleneck. Purchased at Wine Warehouse (Charlottesville, VA).

A: Hazy bordering on cloudy amber with a pretty decent oatmeal colored 1-finger head on the pour which fades quickly and leaves no lace.

S: The aroma is of an American barleywine with heavy caramel malt sweetness and a somewhat passive floral and citrus hoppiness.

T: The flavor is also of an American barleywine, and a pretty middle of the road one. A good caramel malt kick with toffee and raisin/date flavors mixed with light grapefruit citrus and floral hopping. Alcohol is pretty warming although I have to give DFH some credit on keeping the alcohol presence for a 15+% beer pretty well in the background.

M: Sticky and tacky, a little syrupy but what do you expect at this ABV?

O: OK I admit that i did not have the balls to try this fresh mainly because solventy alcohol booze is not my thing -- I will drink hard alcohol if that was what I was looking for. I might try this again at one year old and see -- this one is 2.5 years old and already is firmly in the American barleywine camp. A pretty big letdown but I might give it another try if I can find a younger bottle.

look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

High- quality beer but too high octane. Once over 12%... it looses its definition as beer for me. This IPA feels more like a barely wine than an IPA... I think DFH should have quit at the 90- minute... which I would rate much higher. Not worth the premium price for all the other options for solid imperials out there. One-time-buy for me.

120 Minute IPA from Dogfish Head Craft Brewery