120 Minute IPA | Dogfish Head Craft Brewery

ABV varies from 15-20%.

Added by frank4sail on 03-24-2003

Reviews: 2,253 | Ratings: 8,010
3.52/5  rDev -11.1%

Thanks to sirpsycho for this magical elixer. This was bottled on 12-18-06. Pours a very cloudy amber color with a small head that fades away into a small ring around the glass, leaving no lacing.
Smells pretty good. Getting TONS of sweet caramel malts, some sherry, raisins, vanilla in there as well. The alcohol is also noticable.
Taste very boozy and sweet. It's definitely a complex brew. It taste like there are alot of hops in here but I'm not getting bitterness from them at all.
Feels kind of slick and oily in the mouth carbonation is good though. I thought for a 21% brew this was fairly drinkable. This is brew to be savored every couple of years.

3.52/5  rDev -11.1%

12oz bottle poured into a chalice it forms a solid eggshell white head that has decent staying power. Body is a dull copper shade with little visible carbonation.

A large amount of dark fruits and caramel come forward at the get go in the aroma. The body of this beer is much thicker than it looks in the appearance. Stick to you ribs type of beer. It doesn't surprise me that the alcohol makes up the majority of the balancer. At 21% its a big player although it doesn't completely dominate this offering but is a big complimentary addition. Slightly medicinal is a bit of a turn off. Hops come through in the bitter portion but don't have any taste value.

Notes: Interesting. On one hand I liked the over the top expirimental approach but on the other more sane hand I found it to be nothing I would purchase again under normal circumstances. Very expensive.

3.52/5  rDev -11.1%

I have sampled this several times at various beer festivals, but this is my first showdown with a full 12 oz. bottle. Let's take a closer look...

A barely legible inscription on the neck of the bottle says it was bottled on 09/07/06. Date of consumption: 03/01/07, so it has spent 6 months in the bottle, about 4 of those in my fridge. Sometimes I am amazed by my own patience.

Poured into an oversized wine glass with thin walls, the beer has a bright orange color with a small white head full of larger than normal bubbles. Holding the glass up to my nose, the beer reeks of hops with a sweet malt backbone. Very pleasing and unique. The first sip packs a punch. The hops are still present, but they have been dominated by an overwhelming sweetness. The alcohol is noticeable, but for a 21% beer, it does not make it too hot too drink. Personally, the sweetness is just too much for me and it takes away from the beer. Instead of being a smooth sipper, this beer is just tough to handle. The aftertaste is not pleasant and after a few sips I am ready for something else.

For me, the 120 Minute just gets worse as you drink it. I think it would best be served in 4 oz. servings. Possibly in a small snifter as an after dinner drink. A truly overwhelming brew, but one that I believe would be better off if it was toned down a bit. But I guess that is what the 90 Min IPA is for...

3.52/5  rDev -11.1%

Finally got a couple bottles of this too-alcoholic-for-Ohio IPA at the source on a recent trip to the east coast (it always sells out at the store I go to in PA before I have a chance to get there).

A: Pours a dark amber- darker than any IPA I've ever seen. Hardly any light comes through- again, strange for the style, but in a positive way. An agressive pour yielded a one finger whitish head.

S: Smells of citrusy hops, not much else (and since I'm a hophead, this is a good thing).

T: Hmm. I was expecting an atomic hop bomb, not quite what I got. The hops are very present, sure, but a strong, almost barleywine-like malt presence as well, and alcohol. (I know, I know, it's 21%, but I've had beers from DFH in the 18-20% range that hide their alcohol presence quite well.)

M: Thick, syrupy mouthfeel, which I like, but the carbonation and the alcohol burn are a tad much IMO.

D: It's 21%. Need I say more?

I'm really glad I got a chance to try this one, but I'm not sure I'd buy it again, especially given the price. Perhaps I'll age the other bottle and see what that does, but as it stands I prefer the 90 and even the 60 minute varieties.

3.52/5  rDev -11.1%

On-tap at The Lion's Pride (Brunswick, Maine)

Rich amber-gold color. Very large head, poured into a snifter.

Nose is enormous and awesome. Tons of booze, but a heap of hops as well. I can detect some complex Simcoe, though I could be wrong.

Flavor is cloyingly sweet. Tastes like syrup. This wasn't even a full pour and I had a hard time finishing it off. I know it's hoppy, but the the syrupy sweetness dominates everything.

You should try the 120, simply because there's nothing quite like it. But, this does not make it great beer. I'm not even sure this is beer.

3.51/5  rDev -11.4%

On tap at Moe's Tavern Anniverseray party in Lee, MA. Pours a cloudy orange color with a decent size head. Nice lacing also. This stuff tastes like you drink hard alcohol. At 21% i see why. This is a sipping beer. Rush this one to much and it will kick you in the caboose. Has an aroma of like a hoppy scotch practicly. A little to much. I was surprised how quickly i finished it. The drinkability is not that bad. Don't want to end a night on this one thats for sure.

look: 3 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

"What just happened?" I asked out loud as I took my first sip of this concoction and coughed. The aroma smells as if I'm homebrewing in my kitchen, but a full night of brewing was crammed into one bottle. I think I may have just smacked my mama. I have never had anything like this before. Not for the faint of heart or palate. If you don't like hops, stay the hell away fron anyone even drinking this, but if you're a big IPA fan, and I mean a fan of big IPAs not a big fan, take the plunge. You'll never forget it. Drinkability, however is a little down because I think I may have trouble getting through this one beer.

3.51/5  rDev -11.4%

Purchased two bottles at a local bottle shop. Limit 2 per customer.

Refrigerated one immediately, other bottleI plan on aging.

The beer poured clean with a small, cream colored head that quickly flatted out in a standard pint glass.. There is some slight haze to the beer, making it difficult to notice my fingers through the opposite side of the glass. Copper color.

Quieter hop aroma compared to other dry hopped double IPAs, with a slight malt character at the end of each sniff.

The taste just about knocked me off my feet. Very strong hop flavor, characteristic of the dogfish IPA increments. Very strong alcohol presence. However, it's hard to complain about the the alcohol taste, since they made it clear on the bottle that the beer is "better when aged". The hop profile is complex.

The alcohol flavors linger after consumption. Fuller body than most IPAs. The bitterness lingers as well.

Overall, it's hard to say how I feel about this beer at the present time. I am saving a bottle for aging, and will drink it in about a year or so. Hopefully the strong alcohol presence has mellowed out a bit more by the .

3.51/5  rDev -11.4%

Poured from a 12oz bottle bought in MI for $8.99. After trying it I can say it's way overpriced based on taste, but it sounds like DFH employs a labor-intensive process to make it (the bottle says dry-hopped with daily additions for a month).

Beautiful hazy dark orange color with a foam that lasted forever despit the ABV (>20%). The smell is barley wine and hops, you can tell this is a strong beer. The flavor is really sweet and hoppy with an alcohol burn, I would have liked it better with less sweetness. Actually I tasted a cough medicine note which I objected to also. The beer was syrupy in more ways than one (viscosity, sweetness), but hard to finish.

Nice to have tried it, but moving on.

3.51/5  rDev -11.4%

I have had this bottle for a while. Why tonight? I just don't know, maybe I am an alcoholic? No more like I was dissapointed going down the Sprecher 2xIPA tract. Anyways I have been meaning to try this one for some time. At $10.49 for a 12oz, I don't know how often I will be having this. It may be a one time thing, so here goes.

A-Pours a clear reddish brown. Aggressive pour yieldsa a cream coloured soapy four finger head. The lacing and retention are phenomenol. Streams of vertical lacing cling to the sides of the glass.

S-Bracing piney hops intermingling with a potent sweet malt and alcohol kick. Potent to say the least.

T-Hops at first, followed by a very sweet caramel and alcohol soaked malt. A nice toasted bread quality comes through as well. The alcohol is very warming as can be expected of something so strong. Definitely a sipper, but does that even need to be mentioned? Some spicy noted also come through, a sort of generic quality though without anything jumping out at me. Aftertaste is very bitter with a bit of drying from the %

M-Not as syrupy as I thought. this is actually slightly above medium bodied but akin to many other 2XIPAs. The body is actually lighter than the 90 minute.

D-This is a night cap sipper, maybe even one to share a 12oz bottle. This is a very tasty brew but the alcohol prevents you from drinking more than one. It is basically like drinking a pint glass of liquer. While tasty, this is much more of a novelty than something I would seek out.

3.5/5  rDev -11.6%

Pours a deep, clear copper with a thin white head that remains throughout. Lots of lacing.

Smell is mostly citrusy & pine cone hops. The taste is where this starts to get weird. Way too sweet. There are obvious citrus (orange, lemon, tangerine) flavors along with soft drink-like sugary sweetness. Then the mouthfeel is rather chewy at first but there's an artificial carbonation that lingers & is acidic in the throat.

The ABV make the drinkability lower than alot of IIPAs. Very odd beer; a little too extreme for me.

3.5/5  rDev -11.6%

Served on tap in an 8 oz glass, this is a nice amber color with a thin white head, some decent lacing. Nose is a very strong citrusy hops, some floral notes, a sweet alcoholic undertone. Taste is a mix of burning alcohol and strong resinous citric and grapefruit hops. It's a little much, not nearly as enjoyable to drink as the 90. Full bodied with a slick oily mouthfeel, this one is definitely a sipper. This isn't nearly as drinkable as the WWS--I'm glad I tried this but don't think I will again.

3.5/5  rDev -11.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3

Surprisingly very clear light amber without much head, but still a considerable sticky white ring. Deep alcohol heat hits the nose and supervises a very malty base, extremely sweet, caramelic and fruity, it made me think of pale molasses if it existed. Huge hop profile is mostly floral and grassy. Fatiguing sweet alcoholic palate, burning like a strong scotch when you keep it in mouth a minute or 2. Made me think of a sunny day, floral and skin burning. Very bold, yet pretty clean. Huge creamy body with smooth carbonation. Interesting, but ultimately not very enjoyable to me.

3.5/5  rDev -11.6%

So sweet! Truly surprised by this one. Had on tap at the brewery and boy was I surprised. As the yeast gorge themselves on the massive amount of sugar, they are unable to process it all and are thus left with not only a high alcohol content but also a powerful sweetness. But even this sweetness cannot outpace the bouquet of hops present in this extravagantly hopped beer. With an extremely high price tag, this is not one for the light of heart. If you love extreme IPAs then you will love this beer.

3.5/5  rDev -11.6%

A- Poured into a 6oz pilsner-style sampler glass, showing a hazy straw-yellow complexion with a glint of green around the edges. A low bit of fizzy eggshell head that dissipates like a sparkling wine. Otherwise, not a lot of visible carbonation.

S- Aroma carries ample amounts of dried drupe fruits (mostly apricot) and a bit of tart red apple skin. There seems to be a whiff of musky grape character, not unlike a riesling. There's really almost no indication of the extremely high alcohol content in the nose at this temperature, but perhaps that will change.

T- A rush of mouth-wateringly sweet dried/candied fruit opens up the palate, followed by passing notes of German dessert wine and floral booziness. The sweetness is thick enough to hide much of the alcohol (or at least relegate it to a painless flash of warmth), and I am unsure as to whether or not I like it that way. I really don't taste much hop character here at all... I'm sure three months on the shelf rolled off a portion of the hop character but I have trouble believing that it was ever all that much hoppier than this. If there is any bitterness at all here, it is unfortunately lost to the overwhelming white raisin-y dextrins that dominate this beer. Fortunately, the saccharine overload is relatively brief, and a very pleasant dry sweetness of apple rind finishes off the palate.

M- The mouthfeel is quite thick, though surprisingly dry for the amount of sugar present. As mentioned before, the carbonation is adequate in moving the palate along and bringing about a pleasant finish, but the beer also retains a reasonable amount of 'chew' for those of us treating this vino-typical brew as a wine.

O- I'm glad to have had the opportunity to snag a few of these just to see what the fuss was about, but I don't think this was the beer for me. A very interesting piece of work to sip on, but the flavors here were just too out of balance and overpoweringly sweet to be able to enjoy any more than 6oz or so of this at a time. I understand how difficult it must be to tame a beast of this high alcohol content while juggling the unusual technique of 120 minutes of hopping during a boil, but the impressiveness of the feat doesn't quite make up for the lack of finesse that the brew carries.

3.5/5  rDev -11.6%

This beer is intense. The pour is a hazy gold/orange, and it laces quite well. At first I couldn't even deal with the aroma. It was so intense that I really had to let this breathe and have an opportunity to really open up. Nose is all about the hops. Pure concentrated hop juice. Citrus oils and solvents are upfront, huge bread crust malts follow, with all I can describe as hop fuel. it is really just hops all the way, and not in a way I have encountered before. Upon first taste, I was unprepared for the experience, and let the beer sit for a while longer. I poured a 4 oz sample, and that was more than enough at first. Straight up hops, tonnes of citric pithy flavours, some fuesel components, orangey malts, very alcoholic. The hops here are an all out pine blast. Like eating pure pine needle extract. This is so intense that I had to drink it over 2 days, 3 servings. This is a boozey hop fest in the mouth. Not for the beginner or faint of heart. This is a sipper, and I think this one should be aged for a few years to really let the intensity become a bit more well rounded. Overall, it has huge alcoholic and pine notes in the finish, syrupy and sweet. An experience I will remember for sure. A good beer, but perhaps a little too intense for everyday enjoyment. Certainly a treat! Thanks again Eric!

3.5/5  rDev -11.6%

This is the first time I’ve ever had citrus flavored moonshine. Immediately upon opening the bottle, I caught the overwhelming scent of alcohol. While pouring, citrus hops were present, but still muted by the alcohol. The flavor was a good mix of bitter citrus hops and malty sweetness, again, surrounded by alcohol. As I was drinkling this, my eyes actually started to water from the intnese wafting of the grain alcohol. Finish was good, but again moved to the back seat by, you guessed it..the alcohol.

This actually was not bad, especially considering it is 21% abv, but just much stronger than I normally care for in a beer. The next time I think about having a DFH 120, I’ll just move right to the Everclear instead.

3.5/5  rDev -11.6%

Pours golden amber, with a minimal amount of white head. A very sweet and boozy aroma, with maybe a touch of floral hoppiness. On the palate, I get sweet honey malt, apricots, a bit of citrus and alcohol. Very syrupy and sweet, the hops are nowhere near enough to balance this one out. A somewhat one dimensional beer, not for everyday drinking.

3.5/5  rDev -11.6%

12oz bottle poured into a pint glass.

A: Not the best looking DIPA I've seen. Looked like a weaker, thicker version of some of the better DIPA's. An amber look to this beer with just a little bit of head and decent lacing.

S: INTENSE. I smell the alcohol right up front followed by a ton of hops . The alcohol definitely overwhelms the hops, but don't doubt that you'll smell the hops. Probably more hoppy than any beer I've ever smelled.

T: Honeslty, I tasted something that tasted like a shot of vodka in a barrel of hops. Very full bodied beer that also had a bit of a fruity pineapple taste. By the time I got to the end of it and it was a bit warmer, the tastes of grapefruit or some sort of dry fruit came out big time.

M: Syrupy! Left nice oils in your mouth. I couldn't get the hops taste out of my mouth for hours after I drank this beer. The oils and my love for hops gave this one a higher rating than most would give it.

D: Beer took me 3 hours to drink.. maybe a bit longer. I had to sip it like I was sipping a glass of scotch. Couldn't ever drink more than one of these at a time.. ever. Highly recommend it, and I have one put away to try again in a year or two to try and see the difference. Recommend that everyone try this one at least once.

3.5/5  rDev -11.6%

This review is from my notes.

I've wanted to try this one for a long time, but it's too strong for legal sale in NC. Many thanks to Sara for smuggling it in.

This beer tastes like a hopped up riesling: very sweet, with some pine notes and a mildly astringent hop effect. Malts are apparent.

The mouthfeel was the only problem with this beer. It left a pretty syrupy coating and aftertaste. At 21% this is not one for sessioning.

I would not stock my fridge with this beer, but highly recommend trying it at least once. It's a very interesting beer.

3.5/5  rDev -11.6%

after months of deliberating whether to buy this beer, I finally did it when there was only one left, I figured I had best do it while I could

A- pours an almost cloudy colored amber, low amount of white head, with great lacing

S- hop smell is present, but not as much as I would have thought, also a kind of out of place malt sweetness

T- strong hopped bite, accompanied by a lingering sweet bitterness

M-very thick, low carbonation, coats mouth and stays there for a while

d-whew, not all that easy to drink, tastes good, smells good, a fine beer, but it does not go down easy at all, took quite a while to finish, only had a 12 oz. bottle, cant imagine trying to finish one of the bombers like in the picture

3.5/5  rDev -11.6%

Had this after a DFH 60 minute and 90 minute IPA.

Bottled on 11/06/08. Reviewed on June 4 of the following year.

Pours a beautiful, rich copper with a fizzy, clingy head which dies down to a thin film and then dies down to nothing at all. Some lacing but nothing to write beer advocate about.

Smells like brandy and canned pears, maybe some apricot. For something that was supposedly dry hopped every day for a month I'm surprised how little hops I pick up in the nose. I just get sweet fruity booze. No bad thing. It smells good. Just not like any dry hopped Imperial IPA I've ever had before.

Holy estery esters of estrosity batman! Tastes like candied pears drizzled in brandy. Some bitterness. A super hit of dizzyingly warming alcohol with every sip. Fruity and boozy are the two words which best describe this. Almost more like a sweet mead than a beer.

Mouthfeel is full...and sticky. It kind of coats the tongue with sugar and numbs it with alcohol. I'm finding I need to sip some water in between sips of this. Yeah. This is a beer to savour slowly. Very slowly.

Alas, if this is the holy grail for hops heads that the label suggests then I did not choose wisely. Because, honestly, it's decidedly unhoppy. It's more than anything sugary. If it's in any way bitter it's far more cloying and the saccharine beats the bitterness by a longshot. And holy fuck is it ever alcoholic

American Double/Imperial IPA? Not really. A double imperial quadrupel india pale eisbock barley wine brewed with yeast that was on steroids....maybe. If beer is a social lubricant than this is more like a social anesthetic.

Sam Calagione is the devil. I mean that in a good way. I could see this beer being even better with some age because it sure kicked me in my ass, and I'd love to try it again after it mellows out a bit.

3.5/5  rDev -11.6%

Light, transparent amber with bubbly white head. Aroma of booze, apples with cinnamon, and spices. Tastes of apples, booze, booze, and more booze, and some spices and caramel. Light-medium body and not that drinkable. Liquor characteristics such as alcoholic sweetness. Sips tastes like shots.

Got a gift of a 120 min from 2003, aged 8 years.
Deep orange with bubbly white head. Aroma of citrus, candied apples, pears, bubblegum. Citrus, apples, bubblegum, booze, slight hop echoes. Amazingly smooth and enjoyable. Syrupy mouthfeel and light carbonation. It's amazing what aging can do! The alcohol is tamed by tasty malt and becomes rather drinkable and enjoyable.

3.49/5  rDev -11.9%

Poured from a 12oz. bottle from the first batch this year.

Appearance- A strong amber with hints of anti-freeze translucence. The bubbles for this IPA are clearly slowed by the amount of alcohol mand malt sweetness visible in just the color. Some mediocre head, looks like any nromal, run-of-the-mill IPA.

Smell- Not at all like any IPA I've had before. Insanely sweet. Is there even hops in this??? Sweet caramel candied apples drizzled with Skol vodka. I thinks it's sort of cool because of the shot before you even taste the beer.

Taste- Starts with more Amaretto like swetness that quickly develops into a more malt intensity beer than hops. The flavor lets you know they added insane amounts of mlats and removed water to just boost the abv. But it is unique for its resiny sweet, toasty malts. Almost like biting into a caramel apple with two inches of caramel and only haalf of a whole apple in the center. This will be my relaxing nightcap beer.

Mouthfeel- An almost over bearing malt sweetness mixed with an alcoholic burn never felt before in any burn. These new sensations in this highly heralded IPA are very intriguing because they break the mold for any normal IPA. The bitterness is there, but only a little due to the crazy amounts of malkt. Drank like it was fine cognac.

3.48/5  rDev -12.1%

Bottle dated 10/10/07

A- A really clear orange. Poured right down the center but not too much head on this. Only some white film and bubbles.

S- First thing that hits is an alcohol sting. But there is a huge fruity sweetness. Orangy.

T- Very fruity up front, finishes with a burnt sugar quality that reminds me so much of the burnt outer coating of a roasted marshmallow that has caught a bit on fire. As it warms up its just so amazingly sweet. I'm thinking the sweetness is really coming from the alcohol+hops and not so much underattenuated malt, although it could be some that.

M- at first there was a lot of fine carbonation in it, like minuscule bubbles. It's actually very good carbonation for the type of drink this is.

I thought I could only take my first 3 oz pour of it, since it was so sweet, but I've gone back for a 2nd pour. I really like this much better at fridge temp, cause when it warms up it gets way too sweet for me. But only wanting to drink about 6oz doesn't equate good drinkability to me, 21% ABV or not.

120 Minute IPA from Dogfish Head Craft Brewery