Love Belgian Beer?

ABV varies from 15-20%.

Added by frank4sail on 03-24-2003

Reviews: 2,223 | Ratings: 7,902
4.94/5  rDev +24.7%

Got this at Dunedin House of Beer and poured it into a sniffer. Thick head that dissapates quickly, orange/amber in color, some laceing on the glass when swirlled.

Wow Wow Wow. What a awesome smell. I get cirus aromas big time. Also the alcohol is picked up easilly and some pine notes that are a bit more sudel. You can also pick up the sweetness of the malts used to brew this beast!

Damn I died and whent to hop heaven. What a killer taste. Surprisingly sweet when sipped quickly and hugely bitter the longer you keep it in your mouth. Just awesome well worth the 12 dollar price I could sip on this all night!
Very thick almost syrup like. Its quite balanced the sweetness/hops/alcohol wow!

4.93/5  rDev +24.5%

Amazing beer, plain and simple. Check the Dogfish Head website to see when it is available in Total Wine and other liquor stores. Rare to find, great to drink.

For an IPA, surprisingly not very hoppy, at least compared to the 60 and 90 minute brews. And for a beer with quite a punch at 18% ABV, does not taste too strong, until you feel the effects after the last drop.

4.92/5  rDev +24.2%

Proabably the best IPA I've ever had. The alcohol taste is there, but for 21% you couldn't tell until that buzz kicks in :)

This beer reminds me alot of a liqour and has a peachy liquor(for lack of a better description) smell to it. The biggest draw back to this beer is the cost at $8.99 a bottle, but you do get your moneys worth. Don't plan on drinking other IPA's with this beer at the same time because it's in a whole other league.

4.92/5  rDev +24.2%

Apperance is a hazy orange with a medium head that dissapates into a ring around the glass when drinking. A good amount of lace is present when drinking.

Smell is of hops with citric and pine also present. The alcohol is not as powerfull as I would have thought.

Taste is unbelievable hops all around your mouth. A citric and pine taste is very present too. Everything is so well balenced....awesome for such an extreme beer to be so well balenced.

Mouthfeel is oily and for a 21 Abv it is not overpowering with alcohol.

Drinkability is exceptional and if it wasnt for the 21Abv I could drink this beer all night. I personaly like it better than the 90 min IPA for dogfish.

4.92/5  rDev +24.2%

I was going to save this for a special occasion, but I figure today is special enough. Pours out more like a normal pale ale than I expected, clear copper body, with very minimal carbonation, but has a head that lingers longer than I expected. The nose hides the ABV very well, I just smell huge hops, quite impressive.

The taste is a through and through hop bonanza. Huge bitter, unrelenting, punishing in some respects. The alcohol adds to the intensely sharp flavors this beer has in store for the consumer. 21%? Yeah, but extremely drinkable for being stronger than some hard alcohol. Wow, DFH, keep it up.

A very huge thanks and dumptruck full of beer karma to Twilight for the awesome sample.

4.92/5  rDev +24.2%

pours a copper orange color with spare pearl white head and spare lacing. lots of fizzy carbonation. floral hoppy aroma which is probably the most tranquil smell i have ever smelled before. a bit of a perfume like hoppy taste that reminds me of a feeling similiar to falling in love for the first time. the taste of alcohol is apparent but not as forward as i would've thought. long flavor duration that is very sweet and just a tad bit bitter. This is probably if not the best, the second best beer i have ever drank. simply amazing. you will certainly have a really good buzz going after your first one. would be my everyday beer of choice if it wasn't so pricey, and i didn't have work and other shit to do on a regular basis that takes up perfectly good drinking time. if you haven't tried it i suggest you do so now. if you are a lightweight i would take your time this beer will creep up behind you and punch you in the neck. one of the best experiences i've ever had drinking a beer.

4.9/5  rDev +23.7%

The color is honey, clear, no bubbles, and it seems to have an oily sheen on the head, with only hints of off white lacing remaining. A very thin head returns with a swirl of the glass, but quickly retreats.

Smell is awesome. Huge hops, all hops, it wafts from the snifter and engulfs the nose. Sweet and piney with an alcoholy backside, this aroma comes to you.

Mouthfeel is active and intense. Thick on the palate, oily and alcohol fuzzy on the tongue.

Taste is intense, deep hops, piney, grapefruity hints, with a subtle sweetness and warm finish. Oddly unbitter given the sheer amount of hops.

For the amount of hops, an oddly smooth finish. The hops are super tasty, they don't ruin the palate like with a Stone Ruination IPA. You can really taste the distinctiveness of the hop flowers.

4.9/5  rDev +23.7%

I have been holding on to this one for several years. 2006 vintage. I was inspired to open this one after watching the Brewmaster episode where they were comparing the older versions and they deemed the 2006 the best. I thought it was time to try it.

I served this 12 oz. brown bottle in a Chouffe tulip glass. The body was a rich golden color. Clear and bright. The second pour made it a little hazy, but still beautiful. The head was modest and left only a light ring of white bubbles.

The smell was deep marmalade and brandy. Malty. Very well hidden alcohol. Complex and interesting.

The taste was worth the wait! The flavors mirrored the aroma. Sweet marmalade and mellow alcohol. Complex but everything worked together. A sweetness coated the palate without becoming cloying. It served to balance the alcohol well. Hops oils and syrupy malts melded together better than it sounds.

The mouthfeel was smooth but expanding carbonation gave it a liveliness. Even the mouthfeel was complex. This has turned into a world class beer. Finally a DFH beer I can love. Generally I'm not a big fan - I don't like the their 60 and 90 min. IPAs at all. Aged 120 is the beer for me!

4.9/5  rDev +23.7%

Excellent beer, however, at 20+% ABV, not for the faint of heart. Wonderful flavor, excellent feel. I typically buy this beer for special occasions, buying 2 - 3 bottles to share with a couple of friends who enjoy beer as much as I do. Last time bought was last week in Providence, RI - where I now live, took it down to Thomaston, GA, where I am from, and shared two bottles a piece with my brother, excellent time!

4.9/5  rDev +23.7%

Almost as good of a beer as you can get

Appearance- Pours a beautiful orange color a fingers width of head. Moderate lacing.

Taste- Booze is hidden very well. Hops, pine, and some malt take over. Very dangerous beer that seems to be in the 6-8% ABV range.
Overall- This is a must on any beer connoisseur. Right up there with Zombie Dust, Pliny the Elder, Heady Topper, and Black Note Stout.

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

Best IPA I have had yet. Hoppy smooth taste and the high alcohol content doesn't really hit you until much later. I would never have guessed how strong this one was.

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

I had one that wasn't aged and it was excellent! Super excited to see how they change over the years. A tough beer to find here in Houston, looking forward to my next one.

4.89/5  rDev +23.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

I drove four hours for the privilege of finally having this beast on tap at the Dogfish Head 20 Beers for 20 Years event at World of Beer in St. Petersburg, Florida on Friday night. I came for the 120 and stayed for all the other great brews that DH has to offer, and this monster alone – my very first 120 Minute – was well worth every mile.

Served on draught into a snifter as a far too generous pour for something with this high an ABV. Damn, I am grateful to the bartender, but it looks like I won't be going anywhere for a while tonight...

L: Hazy bright orange-copper topped with a thin ring of head displaying good retention and solid, sticky lacing.

S: Fruitcake and booze, all the way. Surprisingly not a lot in the way of classically recognizable hops in the nose, but the distinctive fruitcake aroma is quite inviting. I'm not a fruitcake hater, unlike as is the fashion, but I'm not exactly a huge fan either. However I will say that if fruitcake tasted as delicious as this smelled, I would absolutely enjoy the Christmas season quite a bit more.

T: BOOZE. Wow. This wicked brew gives you about a second of false security after hitting the tongue before quickly building the alcohol to a punch in the face crescendo, backed by a short blast of prickly carbonation over a strong malty backbone, accompanied by a vibrant and solid kick of flamboyant citrus and piney resinous hops. The booziness reaches a sharp spike and then gradually trails off to reveal a malty maraschino cherry flavor with a bit of a medicinal note, before melting away to more completely showcase the hop profile. As many others have said, being so strong and malty this beer definitely has quite a bit of a barleywine character but, amazingly, this is still, somehow, resolutely an IPA. At eighteen goddamn percent. I don't know which volcano and/or ancient god these guys sacrificed a virgin to in order to pull off this brewing miracle, but hoo lawd, well done!

F: Thick and resinous, this stuff coats the tongue and sticks around for quite some time after every sip. Not an absolutely complete palate-wrecker, but balancing on a knife edge of that distinction. You won't think you're drinking water, that's for damn sure.

O: Wonderful. An incredibly unique and well-crafted bruiser of a brew, this was an absolutely sublime experience and well worth the wait. I can now die happy.

4.89/5  rDev +23.5%

2011 Vintage October batch
A-orange red body. one finger head.
Smell-one of the most aromatic beers I have ever had. Citrus hops and a little grassiness coming through.
Taste-citrus hops hit first followed by a piny/grassy taste with a malty finish. Extremely complex.
M-like syrup or wine.
O-drank this out of a very small sniffer glass for New Years. Drank it at the pace I would enjoy a digestif. One of the best beers I have ever had, so complex, drinkable but I wanted to sip it to savor. I am cellaring a 2011 vintage for as long as possible to compare.

4.88/5  rDev +23.2%

One of my favorite beers of all time

Excellent finish and clean taste.Not as hoppy as some IPA'S. Can not tell that it is 21% by the taste, only when you give it time to process in the liver!!

Very hard to find sometimes since it it only released 3 times yearly

Excellent Job Sam

4.88/5  rDev +23.2%

First off, this beer is quite possibly the best beer (not just IPA) in the world.

The appearance is typical for an IPA, dark orange, and a cm white head sitting on top.

I gave the smell a 4.5 only because it is very deceiving. The smell is typical for an IPA; citrus, hoppy, a little bit of alcohol, and some piney notes.

Now for the taste...this is where this beer shines. When you read 18% alcohol you're expecting a little bite from every sip..not a hint of alcohol on the initial taste of this beer. Tastes like a ridiculously good DIPA. As this beer got warmer, the flavors came out even more.

The carbonation is perfect, not too much, not too little. The drinkability of this beer is unreal. It's 18% alcohol but i found myself finishing the beer within ten minutes and this was my fourth beer of the night!

Overall, the beer is fantastic. The price is what it is for a reason; its amazing. Possibly the best IPA in the world. Dogfish has really set the bar with this beer.

bottled on 5/10/07 for consumption on 7/21/14

Appearance - pours a muddy, brackish plum-brown. Just a faint cover of bubbles, barely sustaining a collar.

Aroma - rum-soaked shortbread and caramel. A boozy citrusy element that is not like Grand Marnier, but it makes me think of it just the same. A touch of plums and soy.

Taste - hard Christmas candy with the weird fruit filling. Light citrus but its there. Extremely warming in the throat and belly, mmm. A light smack of hops, not near enough to balance, just gives a little nip. Some light soy and/or anise as well. Lots of fun flavors to pick out and enjoy. Unbelievably easy to drink for its strength. Yes, the alcohol is certainly evident but the beer's flavors are plenty intense and integrated enough for it to work out wonderfully.

Mouthfeel - impressive carbonation seven+ years later. The body is big without becoming heavy, which could lend too much weight to the sugary aspects of the beer.

Overall - Excellent stuff at both three and seven years, I'll give a new bottle a whirl next time, though I suspect fresh hops rule the day. Toasting 20K on the fitbit - cheers!
***

2003 Edition sampled on 3/18/06
Appearance - pours a clouded light orange color, a snappy but short-lived head on top. 3.5

Aroma - a new experience on this one. I pick up the initial expected fruit and booziness, though not to the degree I expected. But then I get this unmistakeable spicy aroma. A cooking spice, what is it, I know the smell...then it hits my brain - curry! Are my hands clean? Sure enough, and I just washed out the glass from my last beer. Sniff again - curry again. Perhaps this is the effect on my senses when hops get over-saturated into a beer? I don't know. I like curry but I am unsure of what to expect on the taste. 3.5

Taste - wow. No curry here, but this is in the 'beer candy' genre. Intensely sweet, as if it's been concentrated. Orange candy, honey, pineapple, some mildly spicy hop component, and now and then a breath of that curry, but barely. Big alcohol finish, but not as brash as I thought it'd be. Beautifully supportive of the hops flavor, I don't think I can remember a beer being so hoppy and yet so sweet instead of bitter. Without fail, every time I take a sip, I get a whiff of that curry, but it generally does not appear in the flavor profile with any force. Finishes wet, warm and coating. 5

Mouthfeel - very thick, the carbonation holds its own among the heavyweight flavors. 5

Drinkability - I am so glad I grabbed this and am hopeful that I can wait another 5 or 6 years to sample the other one. 5

4.88/5  rDev +23.2%

I recently tried this beer during the DC craft beer week event that was held at the DFH Alehouse in Fairfax, VA. It was served endlessly to about 50+ people at the 7PM "tapping" of the keg. 18%abv.

A: The head left by the pour was a solid 1/2 inch of vanilla-mocha color that remained nice and firm for at least 2-3 minutes after the pour. The beer itself was a glorious dark auburn color that gave you a feel that all beers should look as such (OK, OK, maybe just strong IPAs).

S: Smell is the most subjective of all my senses, due to inherent sinus problems. However, the smell of this beer fit directly to that apparent disability. This beer has a smell that deserves a category all of its own. With an abundant smell of the hops (of which I include the aforementioned 'alcohol' smell that others describe) that remains fresh up to the taste, the smells that remain are of molasses and caramel (of which, take your pick).

T: If only I could hold a half-mouthful of this beer for every time I drank a beer. As I tasted, the flavors cascaded over each other with one of the best tasting "hops" taste followed by a sweet, yet not overwhelming molasses type of flavor. Hardly any bitterness whatsoever and fruitful flavors dominating over the former description. For a beer that has 18%abv, this is not only an achievement; it is a master of the art of beer craft.

M: Perfect, for my subjective taste. I could hold this within the mouth for about 5-6 seconds to obtain the flavors until I felt it was just "meant" to be swallowed. As with many of the DFH beers, this beer goes down lighter than expected and is pretty much on par (yet heavier than the 90 Min.) with any other high-gravity brew.

O: I'll admit that the beer cost $10.50 a pour (which were into 12 oz. snifters, that were given for keeps to the customers), but overall it was well worth the cost. I admit that I enjoyed this beer after a hard day's work at the office and arrived 5 minutes before the keg was "tapped," so my taste could have hardly been experienced in a more favorable light. If on draft, I would strongly recommend this beer to anyone who loves the finer qualities of the beverage. I cannot speak for the bottled version, and I wouldn't be surprised if some of the finer qualities of this beer were lost in the bottling process (as great as it still may be).

4.88/5  rDev +23.2%

This beer has a lot of hype about it, and it sure does live up to it ! As the thick aroma hits your nose, you know you are in for a treat. It is bold, has a lot of character and you can certainly taste the alcohol. However, unlike most beers, the strong alcohol flavor takes nothing away from the taste. If anything, it adds to it. This is a beer that you want to sip on and if possible, condition if for a while as it ages very well. Overall, this is one of the best beers around. My only complaint is the appearance is very plain. However, we all know that it doesn't make a bit of difference to the taste which is why this beer gets a perfect overall score in my book.

4.87/5  rDev +23%

Dated 1/14/15 ( if I recall correctly) Thoughly enjoyed this, huge flavor, boozy and memorable, nice finish that goes on and on. Great treat , still thinking about it long after it was gone....

4.87/5  rDev +23%

This is a real full bodied IPA. The Brits could have sailed from England to New Zealand and this beer would have not spoiled. I Love it!

A) Beautiful color, lovely lacing
S)The smell reminds me of the lovliest combination of citrus, pine, nuts, and glorious hops.
T) The taste delivers everything the smell promises and more!
M) Very nice...this is a beer you should chew!
D) If you drink more than one, have a designated driver. At 18% ABV, this is not a beer you will want to drink by the 6 pack.

This beer is expensive and worth every penny!

4.87/5  rDev +23%

This. Beer. Has. Balls. 21% is no joke. Pours nice darkish amber w/ not a big head, but it lasts. Smells fantastic - really refreshing and extremely fruity and sweet. Taste is similar - kind of took me by surprise. Its thick and syrupy and really carbonated, all of which are a nice blend with the high alcohol volume. High alcohol makes this a very slow drinker, but each sip is so fulfilling that it works out nicely. Highly recommended - I'll be getting more of this to age for a few years.

4.87/5  rDev +23%

ok, going into this not knowing what to expect, super hops, super alcohol, super good?

A - pours a tea brown, with a white head that thoroughly laces rather quickly

S - Hops, hops, and more hops! a great smell with citrusy aromas with slight twangs of alcohol, vodka-y alcohol aroma

T - WOW!!! velvety smoothness, like a liqueur, surprisingly sweet. Of course the expected hops explosion, but to me, it tastes very well-balanced. This is one of my top 3 beers of all time!

M - what can i say, like drinking syrup, has a thick mouth coating sweetness, but not overkill, ive never had a more extremely well-balanced beer

D - super high, the ABV is the only drawback, dont drink any more than a bottle of this stuff if youre driving.

btw, the price is the only detractor. but worth it, just not every day

well done DFH

4.85/5  rDev +22.5%

Savored a 2005 120MIN IPA tonight. Beer poured with a minimal head and displayed a golden copper color in the glass. Aroma relects of a rich hop bouquet and discreet carmel undertones. First taste is an explosion of hop intensity. The balance of the high alcohol content, malt, and hop intensity creates what I would call a suprising sweetness. Subsequent tastes reveal the depths of the malt and hop mingling. The warming effect of the alcohol is evident, but not as intense as in the high-alcohol barleywine and stout offering by Dogfish Head. This beer is a tribute to the power of the hop and is to be treasured.

4.85/5  rDev +22.5%

on tap at hops and Hominey,San Francisco. Awesome. Burnt orange beautiful poor in a snifter with I finger off white head. The aroma is surprisingly sweet Ford.

I love it. Rather than an imperial I pee a, this drinks more like an American style barley wine barley wine. listed at 22 percent ABV.

120 Minute IPA from Dogfish Head Craft Brewery