120 Minute IPA | Dogfish Head Craft Brewery

ABV varies from 15-20%.

Added by frank4sail on 03-24-2003

Reviews: 2,253 | Ratings: 8,010
3.42/5  rDev -13.6%

I love this beer for a few reasons.... the gootness factor(ABV%) and overload of hops!

The appearance is amazing .. lots of bubbles on the side of glass when poured , a very strong color orange and hardly no foam on top.

The smell is goot as well kinda like hoppy citrus with a bunch of alcohol.

Taste is kinda overpowering at 1st , very spicy hoppy pine smell with that alcohol kick. 90 min x 3.

Mouthfeel isnt the glory of this beer, the alcohol makes it tough and very carbonated in some way as well.

I would truely drink alot of these beers for some reason, the taste makes it very easy to drink and you kinda forget about the 21% in it after a while.

3.58/5  rDev -9.6%

Reviewing a 2006 version.

Pours golden-apricot with a foamy white head that dissipates quickly leaving only slight lacing.

Smell is bitter citrus hop and comparatively mild caramel malt sweetness. However, everything is eclipsed by the strong alcohol sting.

Taste is not what I had expected from the nose. Strangely, it reminds me of a screwdriver. Sweet and citrusy, with stinging solvent like alcohol. Caramel malt is present but completely overwhelmed. Citrus sweetness turns slightly sour in the finish. Lingering alcohol burn.

Mouthfeel is full and chewy. Generous hop oil.

This is unlike any IPA that I have had the chance to enjoy. It will definitely need some time in the cellar to mature. The alcohol sweetness is a little overwhelming. Definitely a sipper.

4.1/5  rDev +3.5%

Reiviewing a 2006 bottle.

Poured a dark hazy orange with a long lasting and sticky short off white head.

Smell is sweet malts mixing into a big green juniper hop odor.

Taste has a huge sweet alcohol taste mixing into a big and bold citrus and juniper hop taste. There is almost no hop bitterness at all.

Mouthfeel has a heavy oil like quality along with a big and lingering alcohol heat.

Shockingly easy to drink for the high ABV. Not for everyday but definitly worth drinking every so often.

4.74/5  rDev +19.7%

Aside from the 18 to 20 %ABV, I could drink this all day. I really doesn't taste like 20% abv - sweet - pineapple-like hop character - I was surprised how much I liked it.

More orange in color and suprising amount of pinapple in the nose. Excellent head retention as well as a modest to decent amount of lace. First time I've ever had it and went right out the next week and procured some for home. Definitely NOT a beginner beer!

4.25/5  rDev +7.3%

Second try. Can't remember much about my first review other than it was not at all what I was expecting.

Pours a deep orangey gold with a surprisingly large head, considering the alcohol content. Head fades slowly. This beer has legs!

Aroma: intensely resiny, piney, with a grassy floral note to it - like grapefruit and fresh pine sap. Slight mintiness to it. Alcoholic - not solvent, but strong alcohol aroma. A moderate amount of caramel-like maltiness in the background. The hop aroma is not what you would find in your average DIPA - powerful but not rough.

Taste: Hop flavor is the word(s?) here. This beer has hop bitterness, to be sure. But there is a lot of malt, a lot of alcohol, and consequently a lot of residual sugars to make for a huge sweet malty backbone. But the hop flavor is showcased here - wonderful pine/lemon/peach flavors that meld into the slightly fruity and over-the-top maltiness. Finishes slightly sweet, but with enough bitterness to stop it from being cloying - coats the mouth with a hoppy glaze.

Mouthfeel: Thick, creamy body and medium carbonation make this beer slide down your throat - in a good way.

Drinkability: Well, it is DFH 120...don't expect this to be way up there. But as far as ~20% beers go, this one is pretty damn good. Their Raison D'Extra is the only one that will top it, IMO.

Don't get me wrong. This is much more like a liqueur than a beer. But if I had to drink liqueur instead of beer, sign me up for this one! I think I appreciate this beer for what it is now, rather than trying to cram it into the IPA category. This beer is in a class by itself.

4.35/5  rDev +9.8%

A big thanks to BeerBeing for the bottle.

From a brown 12oz. longneck bottle with a cool label and (fluorescent) green bottlecap, pours a bright apricot orange-amber with some haze and an inch of white fluffy head. The head fizzles down to some surface foam and leaves some serious sticky thick lace behind. There is no freshness date on the label but it does mention that it Ages Well...I'm sure it does!

It smells very sweet and "Malt Liquor" like with a peppery alcohol and hop juicy background...very interesting.

The taste starts super sweet and malty and then..slam, hot and peppery alcohol and abundant hopping take it away, but only for a brief moment. The sweetness returns and goes down with some warmth, leaving a spiky little tingle on the tongue.

There is a meaty body to it, but the high ABV kinda lightens it up a bit...the alcohol is very evident, it's hard to hide at 21% by volume.

Easy to sip and that's what you best do with this one...the ultra sweetness helps make it a sipper. Big @$$ gnarly ale here...go easy on it.

4.82/5  rDev +21.7%

From a bottle into my bulbous tasting glass. Nice creamy white head topped the golden orange body. Smelled very sweet and citrusy.

Nice hoppy suprising warm from the high ABV. Very sweet. Tastes like whole leaf cascade hops.

I could drink this all night if the ABV was lower.

3.28/5  rDev -17.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 1.5

Wow, split this bottle amongst several friends at a poker game. Smell was not indicative of what was to come. Yellow-orange in color and had a good head. The taste was syrupy, sweet and woody/smoky which I thought very odd. This bottle was cellared for a year prior to consumption. this one was just way too big for me.

3.78/5  rDev -4.5%

Main reasoning for the 4.5 over a four is the lovely creamy thick head that possesses great retention. Considering this beers ABV this is a feat in itself. Cascading lace down the glass also has substance and great retention. Nearly opaque copper with an amber reddish hint too it.

Nose is nice and very piney. Alcohol is there but not as big as anticipation led me too believe. Very green and earthy aromas. A nice bit of malt to balance out the aroma and not make you overwhelmed by the hops. An odd metalic aroma is noticed on the very end of the nose.

Alcohol is hidden terrificly considering the ABV. Piney, piney, piney. RS is high in this beer but it fits well. Thick with a candied malt that fills the mid palate out nicely. Finish is moderate and sweet. Overall a great beer that hides the alcohol nicely. Not sure how drinkable this is however. Definitely a sipper.

4.52/5  rDev +14.1%

Wow!!! what a sharp beer. Just like all the rest it simply explodes in your mouth. Last time I reviewed this ale, I judged it out of ignorance. Today, I judge it from the experience of the 60,90 minute. Awesome, this beer should be brewed year round, just an awesome experience, it is like putting dynamite in your mouth with flavor. You have to drink it in sips, to truly enjoy it. Thanks to VwCraig for the trade, I absolutely have to get more of this ale. The smell of absolute pure hops. It sort of stings your nose. For the alcohol in this beer, you sure can't tell. It is sweet with a sting.

My last review was simply not on the mark, I called it horseradish. I stand corrected and I sincerely apologize to the brew makers of this ale. I want to keep this review g rated, but I have to state, this beer is orgasmic.

4.72/5  rDev +19.2%

2007 batch, 12 oz bottle. Enjoyed in my favourite mug. An expensive but exciting treat from Milton, Delaware. Continuous 120 minute boil followed by one straight month of dry hopping!

Pours a beautiful colour, a toasty brown with orange hues. A fine level of off white head that leaves thorough rims of lacing. An absolutely explosive bouquet!!! Not quite like any other hop filled aroma - so potent, so fresh, so whole. Small hints of booze peak through but not initially, what strikes first is this tremendous smell of hops, filled with pineapple, tangerine, grapefruit. A great deal of malt too. An exotic taste profile - notes of citrus, and more hops! The hop resin has imparted so many different flavours, it's incredibly complex. The alcohol doesn't even show on every sip, and even when it does it stays surprisingly balanced within the flavours.

I'm not even sure what to say, or how to describe, the beer has overwhelmed me. Dangerously quaffable. Everything is so balanced, it's incredible! I couldn't of imagined this being so balanced AND so tasty! Even at 20% or so percent this still drinks like a beer. Far and away my favourite of the series...

3.56/5  rDev -10.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Found a little guy (12oz) single at Liquor Mart in Denver.
Pours a glossy rust color, orange and copper hints. Big, big foam of off-white thick head. Chunked a bit. Nice lacing
Spice and citrus dominate the aroma, with alcohol and the pine hops coming in and out.
Taste is intense. Spice, citrus, alcohol, hops, pine, oak, some sweet malt. The syrup feel clings a bit and reminds me of PineSol. The abv is huge, and this bottle was all I can gulp.
A good try, but I'll stick with the 60/90 ipa

4.5/5  rDev +13.6%

big thanks to crwills for hooking me up with this one. anyone who goes shopping with a copy of your 'wants' list is great. thanks craig!

12oz bottle dated 12/18/06.

pours deep amber, almost red, with a half inch of dense tan head. the head drops fairly quick but leaves lots of sticky lace behind.

aroma is great. the glass is sitting on the table about 3 feet away and i can smell grapefruit and alcohol. up close the alcohol is fairly intense. tons of grapefruit and a bit of pine. burnt toffee and sweet caramel.

wow. taste is intense. blast of alchol, then sharp piney bitterness. the bitterness level actually doesn't seem too high, but that could be the high alcohol numbing my tongue and taste buds. orange and tangerine, with a nice sweetness that isn't the least bit syrupy. the alcohol is pure and clean too - no nasty fusels. sherry and port-like notes. there's some bready malt buried in there too.

mouthfeel is great. i didn't expect much carbonation from a brew this big, but it's got a nice moderate carbonation level. great body.

drinkability is suprisingly good. it's definitely more of a sipper at this strength, but damn is it good. sort of balanced. i could actually see a few more IBUs in here. good sweetness and lots of alcohol.

obviously this beer is over the top, but i'm pleasantly suprised at how good it is. the bottle says it ages well, so i'd be curious to try one that has some age on it. damn good even fresh.

4.55/5  rDev +14.9%

Pours gold to coppery orange with a medium cream head that fades fairly quickly and leaves a small amount of lacing. Aroma is big on sugary sweetness, very sweet malty aroma. There is also some citrusy hops in the aroma with lemon being the strongest note. Just a hint of alcohol is evident in the aroma but it becomes more pronounced with some agitation/swirling. Taste is malty and sweet. Like a lemon candy or citrus candy. Sweetness is along the level of an eisbock and then some. Citrusy hops may be huge but don't come thru that way, perhaps because of the large malt bill. The hoppiness is nice though, a clean citrus hoppiness. Like a eisbock and ipa mixture overall. There is some boozy warmth along with a hot alcohol bite in the finish. Alcohol seems nowhere near the 18-20 range. I love this beer. Perhaps not one you can drink much of, but a nice big sweet treat cut with some nice citrus hoppiness. Call it a barleywine or dipa, this one was meant for cellaring and I plan on loading up as the wallet will allow.
This review is from a 2005 vintage.

4.05/5  rDev +2.3%

120 minute IPA is an interesting beer. The appearance is an interesting apricot color with a thin white head. Smell is of piny hops and carmely malt, and of course alcohol. THe taste is heavy on the hops at first, but that quickly fades to a touch of malt and finally alcohol burn. the hops reappear on the finish with a wierd sweet alcohol taste. It's good., but a but out of balance. The mouthfeel was good and heavy, but the drinkibility was very low. You're not going to have more than one glass of this.

3.52/5  rDev -11.1%

I have sampled this several times at various beer festivals, but this is my first showdown with a full 12 oz. bottle. Let's take a closer look...

A barely legible inscription on the neck of the bottle says it was bottled on 09/07/06. Date of consumption: 03/01/07, so it has spent 6 months in the bottle, about 4 of those in my fridge. Sometimes I am amazed by my own patience.

Poured into an oversized wine glass with thin walls, the beer has a bright orange color with a small white head full of larger than normal bubbles. Holding the glass up to my nose, the beer reeks of hops with a sweet malt backbone. Very pleasing and unique. The first sip packs a punch. The hops are still present, but they have been dominated by an overwhelming sweetness. The alcohol is noticeable, but for a 21% beer, it does not make it too hot too drink. Personally, the sweetness is just too much for me and it takes away from the beer. Instead of being a smooth sipper, this beer is just tough to handle. The aftertaste is not pleasant and after a few sips I am ready for something else.

For me, the 120 Minute just gets worse as you drink it. I think it would best be served in 4 oz. servings. Possibly in a small snifter as an after dinner drink. A truly overwhelming brew, but one that I believe would be better off if it was toned down a bit. But I guess that is what the 90 Min IPA is for...

4.63/5  rDev +16.9%

Appearance - Clear amber in color. A good carbonation with a good white lacey head.

Smell - Sweet smell. Very floral in presentation and fruity almost candy in aroma.

Taste - Deep sip? I don't think so. This bad boy lasted all evening for me. This will kick your arse if you try to down this 40 proof brew. This is so very exceedingly smooth it was unreal. I purchased two and one will be aged for a good long time as a comparison.

Mouthfeel - Not a whole lot of carbonation presence which was suprising. I drank this one cool/cold and I personally think this added to the experience. This is a premier IPA.

Drinkability - Consumption, yes. Store, heck yes! This will be a staple in my cellar if I can find more.

4.03/5  rDev +1.8%

Thanks to jaxon53 for getting this to me!

Pured a deep orange, cloudy with lots of visible carbonation. Thick lace with lots of swirls rounding about in the top, looks alive. Very nice hue and presentation.

Smell will knock you on you ass1 Deep pine resin, nothing I have ever smelled before, and lots of alchol. It actually started to burn my noce it was so strong. As it warms, citrus starts to flow, grapefruit, pineapple, but the pine nugget explosion is definatly intense,

The flavor is rediculous. It tore up my mouth, almost undrinkably bitter, but that just spurred me on. A whole new level of hops, and of beer for that matter. Warming is not the word, this keep my whole house warm last night.As it warmed alot of complex and sweet flavors came to the front, but the most again was a sort of pine sap flavor. The finish was a huge deep dry finish. This is an amazing beer, just huge hops, alcohol is obviously a factor, but if you limit yourself to one, I don't see it affecting the drinkability. I actually re loved this, and would love to try it again. Nothing but really positives on this one.

4.12/5  rDev +4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

P: 12 oz bottle, no date on this one, I have an 03 and I know that this one is newer, maybe 04 or 05
A: Copper color, clear, thick head initially dissipates quickly but resumes with a good swirl in a snifter
S: Very nice, sweet and malty up front, I know the hops are there but the alcohol really cuts into what I expected all hop, burns the nasal passages a little
T: Incredibly well balanced, I expected over the top hop, but there is a nice malt backbone to this one, only slightly bitter in the aftertaste, alcohol for sure
M: Slick, that says it all, coats your tongue
D: This is a sipper without question, but you can easily drink the whole bottle...and then take a nap
Notes: Really unexpected IMO, so well balanced, not just out of control hops, really enjoyable. Might make my Christmas Eve lineup for 07.

4.28/5  rDev +8.1%

The Dogfish Head 120 Minute IPA. The "Holy Grail" for hopheads. This 20% "imperial" IPA certainly pushes even the most avid beer lover's perception of beer. It falls right in line with the rest of the Dogfish Head beers adorned with the CAUTION Dogfish Head exclamation point, daring the drinker to crack it open. On this occasion, I have had the privilege to open my 2006 vintage alongside my friend's 2003. It pours into my Dogfish Head Raison D'etre oversized wine goblet with pale golden amber body. At 20% ABV, one would expect no head at all but the head surprisingly erupts from the 2006 version whereas the 2003's head barley creates a film. The head of the 2006 leaves a nice film over the beer the whole way down leaving lace down the side of the glass. The aroma is almost nothing but malty sweetness, however this is also surrounded by notes of alcohol and citrusy hops. The taste is up front with the sweetness, followed by the alcohol, and finished with the bitterness and flavor from the hops, but the sweetness dominates over all. The 2003 is certainly sweeter. The beer exhibits more than a full body with an extreme amount of dryness on the finish and surprising lively amount of carbonation. In the end, the Dogfish Head 120 minute IPA is a very interesting beer. The warming sensations it brings can make it one of the most enjoyable beers on a cold winters night. However, its not an every night or even every week beer for that matter. If you are looking for that truly extreme beer though, this is the one you are looking for.

2.8/5  rDev -29.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

I can see how this beer would be interesting to age. The second I saw it I knew I had to, at least, try it. To me this is a novelty beer, it's a caracature of itself. No one really needs this much hop. I do love the 60' and 90' ales. But this is a beer to age and see what happens. Hazy amber. Very Tacky palate. takes quite a while to adjust. I'd like to meet the guy who could drink a 6 pack of these. It's a sipper, I could only do one a night probably. I'd rather have a sixer of 60' and drink all day...

3.83/5  rDev -3.3%

Appearance: Deep amber with a chill haze, thick foamy head leaves a nice off-white lacing with some bubbles in the middle, the beer is still.

Smell: Hops. But also a big sweet dose of malt. Notes of coffee, hops are juicy, a little musty, alcohol warmth, spicy.

Taste: Thick and saturated with sweetness, grassy, brown sugar and some molasses, but it's balanced out with continuous alcohol in the nose, hops are hidden, present and spicy, but subtle. The end result is a warming swallow of sweetness, almost brandy like.

Drinkability: A very complex brew in my opinion. Huge alcohol is pleasant, but does mask the rest of the beer. It looks great, and I would drink this as an aperitif.

3.83/5  rDev -3.3%

Definetly a sipper here. pours a dark orange brown color. Smells a bit odd like oil and hops. tastes a lot bette though, you do need a lot of hops to overcome the sickly sweetness that is in here, and it is in there. Slick mouthfeel a bit thick but not bad. Overall, everyone should try this at least once. A bit pricey for a regular size bottle but it's good. High alcohol is hidden in the flavors, it works well.

4.42/5  rDev +11.6%

I will put my 2 cents in on this, The Imperial IPA or well the Imperialist IPA/Barlywine Hybrid. With the 21% ABV and the malt balance i do feel it drinks more like a barleywine...But none the less a very good beer.

Appearance: Poured a orange, brownist color with a thin white head

Smell: Very very stong hop aroma strong notes of pine, Floral and citrus. With a sweet malt hints.

Taste: Very balanced hop and malt flavor in the initial taste with a bitting hop and alcohol finish

Mouthfeel: Very oily hop feel and a rich malt character.

Drinkability: Once this beer warmed very drinkable. The alcohol is hidden very very very well and i enjoyed this beer alot. I just wish it wasn't so damned expensive

4.67/5  rDev +17.9%

Pours a slightly less than clear golden amber color with a full finger foamy light tan head that resists fading. Visible carbonation keeping the head alive and some lacing remains.

Wow, that's a unique aroma. A lemon-banana floral scent and sweet malt and the presence of alcohol.

Another set of "Wow's". This beverage has a lot of character. The immediate sensation is smooth and creamy with a whispered fizz. It has an interesting fruity malt flavor... and then a modest burn in the chest on the way down. The alcohol characteristic, while oh so real, is not overbearing.

I am really impressed with this ale; very unique, creative, complex and inviting. I'd love to set a number of them aside and tap into them yearly to explore aging...but alas I'm afraid that the spirit is willing but the flesh is weak.

120 Minute IPA from Dogfish Head Craft Brewery