Welcome to BeerAdvocate!

Looking to talk, rate or trade beer? Join today by creating your free account.

Love Belgian Beer?

ABV varies from 15-20%.

Added by frank4sail on 03-24-2003

Reviews: 2,223 | Ratings: 7,902

From the tap into a snifter - Had it at Churchkey in DC

A - A reddish amber orange body that pours pretty clear with nice sized white bubbly head and good lace.

S - Tons of hops come out of the nose with a variety of citrus fruits that miggle and change. The nose hints at tons of hops, sweetness, and ABV. It packs a nice punch!

T & M & D - So sweet and powerful up front and then the middle opens to many citrus characters and the end finishes suprisingly smooth and with a candy like sugary sweetness. The beer is powerful in ABV and it is interesting to taste such a strong sweetness with little bits of hop and citrus mingled in. The body is big syrupy almost with a little carbination - Makes it a good sipper like a sweet port or something.

O - Try it and sip it. There is so much going on in every aspect of the beer that you need to appreciate it. Very interesting brew and I am glad I got some fresh on tap.

-Cheers

4.42/5  rDev +11.6%

12 oz. bottle, dated "2011 E 15:41"

A: One finder bone white fluffy head just stays put. Extremely thick immediate lacing. Cloudy deep gold wheat colored. Very thick looking.

S: This smells amazing. I was expecting it to be overly sweet but the hops just explode. Very tropical - lots of pineapple, some blood orange. Honestly, it's all hops. There's a tinge of fruit cocktail syrup. Floral and grassy. Some hard alcohol - spiced rum. Sweeter when it warms. Rather unique, I think I'd recognize it anywhere.

T: Extremely hot. A lot less perfumey sweet than I remember it being on tap. Rather bitter, actually. Extremely floral hop profile - lilac, honeycomb.

M: Very thick. Syrupy, but it compliments the flavors very nicely. A little bit of alcohol burn but not as much as I would expect. Coats the mouth forever, and I feel like I might get a cavity.

O: I loved it, more than I thought I would. It's definitely over the top for an IPA, but it really works for me. The hop profile is great and tue sweetness only seems to back it up. I would drink this regularly if I could afford to...

Served in a pint glass

A: Pours a very nice slightly amber gold that is perfectly clear with a slight amount of head that dissipates, leaves no lacing
S: Very nice citrus hop scent very little alcohol tinge which makes it that much more inviting
T: Very nice strong initial hop citrusness followed by a kind of slow drawn out alcohol bite that starts nice and builds to a warming
sensation
M: Smooth on the palate, alcohol burn hits the back of the tongue, medium to slight carbonation
O: Found it to be a wonderful interpretation, alcohol was not nearly as perceptive as I have seen in others with similar ABV, really loved the hopiness and how it wasn't pushed aside by the alcohol

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Had this from a 12 oz. bottle. I totally forgot about the hugh ABV on this baby until half way through, so it pains me to say that I did not finish the bottle for I still had some beers I wanted to taste.

Bottle on 12/18/06.

A: Amber/copper hue with some slight haze. Big slow bubbles rising to the top. Small head. A good looking beer.

S: Huge hop nose and I mean huge. All types of citrus character gives it a very sweet candy-like aroma. Really a great aroma.

T: Incredible taste, sweet with an extremely dry finish. Some coffee hints and surprisingly little hop bitterness. Some alchol taste and warming. Some grapefruit. To say this taste is complex is an understatement and aging would probably do wonders for this brew.

M/D: Sticky, thick and full bodied. Drinkability is definately limited by the fullness and ABV. Little carbonation.

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

The color was an orange/amber with a big fluffy white head. color: mango,pinapple,oranges. The taste: big fruity,high acidity,strong alcohol aftertaste. The mouthfeel was thick and silky. This brew drinks like a well aged barley wine. My freind gave me this one sample I wish I had one more to try. This beer is very complex and I need more time to pick out more flavors. I'ts huge pollen season down here in GA. and it's kinda hard to breathe!

Um. Wow?

Looks like freshly shaken corn syrup with little air bubbles rising. Golden-ish tone that just looks sweet. Aroma hints at pine trees and alcohol but drifts somewhere towards the tropics -- canned pineapple, sugary fake lime... Sweet on the tongue, fades to mild bitterness. Just bizzare -- but nice.

Putnam very correctly observed that this tasted better after baked goods -- namely the chocolate chip cookies that the 40-year-old "schoolgirl" (It was the day after Halloween; what can I say?) generously gave us.

Sweet, finnicky, bizarre, a bit overdone. Say what you will. It's probably all true.

But this is a hell of a beer with some real paradoxical complexities and simplicities that help you forget you're talking about a beer that weighs in at 20%.

A recommendation for the folks at DFH: Put a Surgeon General-style warning on the label: "Share with friends." Who the hell put this in such a huge bottle?

4.42/5  rDev +11.6%

A - Pours a super hazy golden-orange color with a finger of frothy off-white head. The head fades down at a normal pace leaving behind some lace.

S - Aroma full of tropical and pine hops with lots of grapefruit, orange, citrus, and grassy aromas. There is also some sweet caramel malts, residual sugar, and booze.

T - Starts off with lots of tropical hop flavors with grapefruit, mango, orange, and some bitterness, alongside some sweet caramel malts. Through the middle, lots of piney and grassy hops come through with strong bitterness with some sweet residual sugar and some booze. The finish is full of tropical and grassy hops, some floral hops, some good bitterness, sweet malts, and booze.

M - Full bodied with moderate carbonation. Feels smooth and resiny with a warming, bitter, and dry finish.

D - Very drinkable. Huge hop flavor and strong booze, but the body is able to hold it all and the overall beer feels well put together.

4.42/5  rDev +11.6%

3 year old bottle aged in the back of the beer fridge.

Pours ruby gold with 1/2 finger head. No retention. Fairly active carbonation for an older bottle. Thin lace.

Strong dried fruit nose. Apricots, figs, grapes, apples, but mainly raisin. Lots of it. Strong whiff of alcohol.

I think I actually pick up the strength of the pour before the beer touches my lips. Alcohol hits right away. Sweet and syrupy up front, with lots of raisin and fig. Grows quite tart midway through. Lots and lots of alcohol in the finish, leading to a substantial burn in the throat. Definite hop presence as well, but the dried fruit completely overshadows that. Getting some light apricot and I think some floral esters.

Very syrupy feel. Pushes the limit here.

Quite a nice sipper, but as I remember my first SA triple bock I wonder how far this has pushed the envelope on what is considered beer.

4.42/5  rDev +11.6%

Upon opening this bottle the strong odor of alcohol was mask slightly by a fruity, pleasant aroma. I poured it without expecting a head, yet one appeared. I was surprised by its creamy and foggy color.

The robust flavor of hops is present from start to finish. This was an enjoyable beer that I would purchase again. It’s not too often a high concentrate of alcohol (20%) tastes this smooth. A super, nice beer to start the evening with .

4.42/5  rDev +11.6%

2004 Edition, cellared longer than anything else I've ever kept. After sampling this on tap in 2004, I picked up this lone 12 oz. bottle and decided to save it for a special occasion, the right moment.

Here's that special moment, and I am commemorating nothing at all.

Served in Dogfish Head's beautiful oversize brandy snifter at cellar temperature.

Appearance- Pours an almost perfectly clear whisky orange, carrying a small but sticky bone white head that winds up randomly decorating the inside edge of my glass. Alcohol content aside, this looks like it should be a fun ride.

Smell- Initially, the burst of air that wafted out of this bottle truly smelled of an English Old Ale... notes of leather and 19th century hardcover books, notably. Now, in the glass, we've got a fully integrated hop beast that has engaged its malts and just simply smells *enormous*. Fat and deep, and in wonderful balance aromatically.

Taste- All I can say is... *wow*... amazing... what a sublime example of what a fully mature, impeccably crafted beer could be. At first, the tongue receives a sweet, honey-like hop flavor that spreads gently across its surface. It then transforms to a chewy, rich, vintage quality that showcases a beautiful malt character along with the hops. Three + years of aging has all but eliminated any potential alcohol heat, as I swear this is drinking smoother than I ever would have expected. The finish goes on for days, the hop bitterness rich and complex, like an old wise man with a century's worth of wisdom.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability- Slick and smooth, easy down the throat and taking the obligatory back seat to a phenomenal flavor profile. This beer has provided an unforgettable tasting that I'm extremely thankful for, and I must give Andy's Corner Bar in Bogota another round of applause for having this on tap three years ago where I made the decision to grab one for the road. And DFH, way to go... this one certainly stood the test of time.

4.42/5  rDev +11.6%

First time ever having this beer, have had the 60 and 90 minute countless times.
Poured from the bottle to a tulip, I didn't think to use my Dogfish Head snifter, gah!

Appearance - pours a pale gold color with a one finger soapy head. While it doesn't impress it has a solid look to it.

Smell - sweet sugary hops, and some slight ethanol.

Taste - very much like smell. Sweet hop flavor right up front, a nice malty back bone, and alcohol! Reminded me a lot of Southamptons Old Herb.

Mouthfeel - I happened to be sipping this one since I split the bottle, but wouldn't necessarily say it's a sipper. It has a slightly syrupy consistency.

Overall - it was quite enjoyable, I was happy splitting the bottle with someone, it was just enough. It sort of falls under the category of a hoppy barleywine in my mind. A nice boozy, hoppy kick in the mouth.

4.42/5  rDev +11.6%

Bottle from the latest release (my 4th try). Saving one for next year.

12 oz bottle poured into a glass.

A: A clear dark orange. Almost poured like a solid liqueur. Pretty much headless.

S: Smelled like cognac to me, which I thought was incredible. Fruits like apples, raisins, orange, apricot. Something sweet and syrupy like maple as well.

T: So much flavor in this beer. Has a huge pop, especially with the fruits and sweetness. Tastes like a cognac too. Malty and hoppy but not boozy.

M: Incredibly smooth and thick. Chewy as well.

Overall: It's a sipping beer, and it's something to enjoy over a period of time. Definitely not something you can pound at a bar. This definitely lived up to the expectations. My first try left me a bit disappointed and then I had it on tap and was floored. Had it two more times in the bottle and it was incredible because it was a little bit older.

4.42/5  rDev +11.6%

A - Pours a super hazy orange juice color. Decent near white dense lacing. Ok lacing

S - grapefruit citrus explosion, strong bitter hops maybe a little spicy.

T - bitter grapefruit pretty intense, bit of a dry finish. Nice fruity aftertaste. Alcohol not exposed

M - heavier body but not crazy for 18%, reasonable carbonation, a great sipper

O - Great shock value, very good hop bomb, was pretty floored to see this on tape

4.42/5  rDev +11.6%

2007 vintage w/o a visible bottling date anywhere.

Poured into a snifter.

A: Poured with little to no head, and very little carbonation. Held up to light, it's almost totally opaque, with a deep amber coloring that varies depending on the width of the glass.

S: Big nose - despite the other reviews here, the alcohol of this bottle was very apparent, but was balanced by a sweet malt aroma with strong hints of hops and orange.

T: Being a big fan of the 60 and 90 Minute IPA, I was prepared for a big hop hit, but was pleasantly surprised. The hops were very balanced by the heavy malt and citrus flavors, all of which cut through what would otherwise be a very heavy alcohol flavor.

M: This is where this bottle shined. A thick, and almost cream-like mouthfeel. Hints of alcohol warmed the tongue and throat, but didn't overwhelm.

D: I'd drink this like I would a brandy or a cognac. A bottle by myself would probably be enough for an evening. Sharing one with one or two friends is probably the best bet for this brew.

4.42/5  rDev +11.6%

I will put my 2 cents in on this, The Imperial IPA or well the Imperialist IPA/Barlywine Hybrid. With the 21% ABV and the malt balance i do feel it drinks more like a barleywine...But none the less a very good beer.

Appearance: Poured a orange, brownist color with a thin white head

Smell: Very very stong hop aroma strong notes of pine, Floral and citrus. With a sweet malt hints.

Taste: Very balanced hop and malt flavor in the initial taste with a bitting hop and alcohol finish

Mouthfeel: Very oily hop feel and a rich malt character.

Drinkability: Once this beer warmed very drinkable. The alcohol is hidden very very very well and i enjoyed this beer alot. I just wish it wasn't so damned expensive

4.42/5  rDev +11.6%

Abosolutely outstanding! Another excursion across into Wisconsin and another great beer. Very malty and silky/syrupy on the palate. Not much head. You definitely notice the alcohol in the taste and even more so once you’ve finished! I was suprised to find that the hoppiness did not overwhelm this beer but that it was balanced very well.

4.43/5  rDev +11.9%

This is a 2006 120 min. IPA poured into my brand new DFH goblet glass. It is almost 5 years old to the day. I can't tell if the born on date is 12/13 or 12/18/2006.

Look: A darker brownish/cherry color, off white head is small and falls into the brew quite fast. It certainly doesn't look like any other IPA. There is a good amount of cloudiness too.

Smell: It has a distinct hop resin scent with some honey, caramel, and dark fruit notes as well. It's strong and quite impressive. There is also a subtle hint at the potent alcohol content of the brew. As it warms it almost has an anise aroma.

Taste: There is a bit of a burnt caramel and cherry kind of flavor up front that develops into a more hoppy bitterness. The hops are kind of earthy at this point. It's kind of an odd toasty bitterness with a bit of citrus and an alcohol kick to finish it off. Despite the citrus hop bitterness, the overall taste is really sweet. I really wish I had a young bottle to compare side by side with this five year old bottle.

Feel: It actually has a pretty nice smooth, silky feel. There is definitely a bit of stickiness too.

Overall: This is the second bottle of 120 that I have had. The first was a much younger bottle and I don't remember much about it except that the flavor was too much for me. The sweetness was far too overpowering and while there is still a good amount of sweetness now, it's not as bad. This is a much more mellow and mature flavor that I really enjoy. The aroma and tastes are the real highlights for me. It is very unique. It also goes down surprisingly quick for such a high alcohol beer. I give it a 4.5 overall because it is such a unique smell and flavor, but I suspect that is because of the age and that a younger 120 would get a slightly lower score.

Date: 12/17/2011
Serving: 12 oz bottle in DFH goblet

4.43/5  rDev +11.9%

On draft in a snifter at the Sunset Grill. So after an awesome weekend in Boston, including the Great American Beerfest, We decided to check out the 100+ taps at the Sunset Grill. So ive learned over the years that there is always an item that isnt on the menu, so i asked our waiter if there were any special beers on tap that werent listed....and low and behold DFH 120min on tap...JACKPOT

A - Nice cloudy orange color with a huge foamy head

S - Hops, hops and some more hops. Really you can't smell anything else some grapefruit/citrus notes

T - Sweet with a lot milder hop flavor than expected from the smell. The only flavor I could pick out was orange peel. and more hops

M - Medium bodied with good carbonation.

D - Pretty easy drinking considering the 21% ABV

I had this out of the bottle once, and i dont think the bottle has that old and i did not enjoy at all, way to much alcohol and not a good hop balance, but on tap a totally different beast

4.43/5  rDev +11.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Have had this maybe a handful of times - from undrinkable (the first time trying it, filtered through a Randall at the Rehoboth brewpub - tooo much!) to actually quite quaffable (as it was with last night's large pour).

A: generously served in a 12oz goblet (menu stated 8oz pour), it's a slightly hazy, copper-orange with a 1/2" slowly fading head with a vague cream-yellow tint. Moderate ringed lacing. One gets the sense that the beer is not light-drinking.

S: aggressively "hoppy" hop aromas, dank, resiny, piney/woody....vibrantly fruity - dried mango....smoothed-out, wort-y, hard-candy-like unfermentables, yet balanced wonderfully against the hops, with the alcohols and phenols present yet surprisingly understated

T/M: as in the smell, they really balanced everything out so well in this batch....actually does not come across nearly as bitter as it's billed - the malt sugars, several notches short of cloying, tone down the bitterness and perhaps the overall intensity of the citrus-resiny, silky-spicy hop flavor itself - that same malt foundation, while surprisingly allowing an almost roasty-nutty, cereal-like grain flavor to somehow poke through, also blankets the burn/bite of the high alcohol superbly - comforting alcohol warmth still manages to ribbon through 2/3 the way through each sip, but it's a creeper for sure....often, in past samplings, came across to me as "hop syrup", but this one was refreshingly on the drier side for once

O: certainly not for everybody, including myself....in the mood for an intense, rich, hoppy cordial of a beer? this is king....and when they nail it, they really nail it, and it's wonderful and an achievement in brewing to marvel at!...something to keep tuned in to batch-to-batch....

2004:
Clear burnt orange colour topped by a dense, cream head that was speckled with a few large bubbles. Nice lacing from beginning to end and fine foam remained righ through to the finish. The aroma was a good balance of caramel and toasted maltiness, warm alcohol, and rich American hops (mostly pine) that were never quite aggressive. Big, caramel malt flavour kicks things off, and the alcohol warmth begins at the midpoint. This is also where the hops pick up, starting with pine and changing to orange/citrus towards the finish. Great balance. Full, viscous body that's just short of syrupy. Medium dry finish from the bountiful hop resin. Considering the gravity, this is a highly drinkable beer that wasn't cloying or out of balance. Very enjoyable.

12 oz. bottle, poured into a large snifter, 21% ABV

A: dark amber, almost orange...thick 1-finger head to start, but diminished quickly...light carbonation with bubbly action that lasted for quite a while...small amount of lacing left behind.

S: strong alcoholic and some citrus - grapefruit, and some orange.

T: surprisingly malty to start with a caramely sweetness and something else that I can't place...hops coming on strong at the end, and lingering...slight alcoholic burn comes on later in the chest.

M: fairly full-bodied and thick, especially for an IPA, slightly carbonated.

D: amazingly drinkable for the style and the ABV...if I had to guess the ABV based on taste alone, I would say 7-9%.

...really a nice surprise all around...just missed this on tap at the map room a month ago - now I'm really sorry that I did.

4.43/5  rDev +11.9%

Great beer. Really strong almost like barleywine. Subtle in alcohol, not noticable. But be careful it sure is there. I think its 20%. Good winter beer, really warms you up. Smooth flavors. Full bodied beer. Great beer from Dogfish head. Very enjoyable. Malty and hoppy. Copper in color. I really liked this beer.

4.43/5  rDev +11.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

L - Beautiful amber. Cloudy, almost opaque. Thin head dissipates quickly.

S - Alcohol, caramel and pine.

T - Amazingly malty for an IPA. Drinks closer to a barleywine but remains balanced by the extreme hoppiness buried within. Definite alcohol burn at the end.

F - Solid mouth feel, almost closer to that of a stout than an IPA. Mouth feel almost dissipates due to the high APV.

O - Insanity in a bottle. Malt, hops, burn and repeat.

12 oz bottle dated 2011 poured into a snifter

A- A bright orange/copper color with a small one finger head that faded quickly, nice lacing.

S- Citrus/tropical hops and alcohol, there is a nice sweetness to the hops.

T- Hops, tropical and citrus fruits, a candy/molasses sweetness, alcohol is noticeable and adds to the complexity, but doesn't taste like it is around 18% ABV. This has some really nice bitterness to it.

M- Medium to full body, surprisingly smooth.

O- I am truly surprised how good this is fresh, I really thought it would be too boozy and a little bit of a mess. I have had it before with some age on it, and it is great aged. I am really glad that I was able to get ahold of a few bottles. I can't wait to have this again with some age on it.

4.43/5  rDev +11.9%

A - Pours a light amber, completely clear with a constant cascade of tiny carbonation bubbles. 1 finger off white head that stays around for quite a while.

S - Fairly well balanced on the aroma. No noticeable alcohol, but the caramel malts and earthy hops balance out perfectly. Pine, orange citrus, hints of lemon, and just general hop bitterness followed up with sweet caramel.

T - Same balance in the nose with some added characters. The caramel malts still balance perfectly with the hops creating a beer that is in no way too hop-dominant. Still, earthy hops dominate the hop flavor, coming in next is the general bitterness with the citrus hops chilling in the background. Alcohol is definitely noticeable in the taste, but not to a detriment. It is there right for the initial hit on your tongue, but that's just it. It doesn't show itself again anywhere in the beer, except maybe at the tail end of the finish.

M - Medium bodied, super sticky. Just as with most IPAs I enjoy, the sticky malts help the hop flavors and bitterness to cling to the inside of your mouth forever. Finish is sticky sweet with mostly caramel flavor and hints of citrus hops with general bitterness.

O - I have been waiting to get my hands on this beer for a while now. It has lived up to expectations. While it isn't the best example of an IPA I have had, it does an amazing job to balance itself and the alcohol for the ABV it contains.

120 Minute IPA from Dogfish Head Craft Brewery