120 Minute IPA | Dogfish Head Craft Brewery

ABV varies from 15-20%.

Added by frank4sail on 03-24-2003

Reviews: 2,281 | Ratings: 8,079
4.38/5  rDev +10.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

My beer guy at the "Bottle Shop" had reserved me two bottles of this elixir. One for now and one for storage.
This treasure poured a clear copper gold with an attractive creamy beige head building about two fingers high. Good retention. It leaves nice lacing on the glass.
The smell is a complex fruit composition, with sweet scents of caramel.
Tasting this "nectar" I felt like I had a turbocharged IPA. I guess this is what it is representing. Up front we have the fruity notes like peach ,apple, fig, and of course sweeter aromas like honey and caramel malts. In the middle some earthy undertones, like pine and resin balance the sweetness somewhat and a composition of flowery hops finish the palette. There is even a hint of a citrus linger.
A wonderfully crafted beer, the ABV very well hidden, but noticeably. Well worth the 15 bucks per bottle I had to stretch in Maryland ( 9 percent alcohol tax ).
Can't wait to taste this beer when it is aged in the cellar for a year.
Must be experience!

4.39/5  rDev +10.6%

Fresh bottle poured into a tulip murky burnt orange with a two finger white head. Great lacing and good retention.

The nose: I have a bad sense of smell but this thing is making my nose do cart wheels. Lots of floural notes and even a carmel scent. Maybe what I'm noticing is just a sweet scent that is kinda carmel like.

The taste is like a mouthful of sugary sweetness up front. The hop bitterness really is rather low for what I expected for an IIPA. I would almost compare this to a fresh hoppy barleywine. It's either there's too much of a sweet malt front, or not enough of a hoppy bite. With the amount of hops they use, I think it's more of the prior.

Mouth feel is HIGH in alcohol burn. Almost like drinking a good whiskey. But the body is perfect for the style.

2003 vintage

clear orangey-red with some yellow around the edges. force-generated foam subsides quickly leaving a mess of lacing all over the glass.

nose is subtle explosiveness... begins with peach and wood.. follows through with a sweet-and-sour age quality. malt comes in, representing smooth caramel and possess a nice hop balance. smoky, like a barleywine. not overly frightening.

juicy taste.. great medium thickness and silky texture. rolls right down the throat. the age is present here but subtle.. good conditions, i guess. orange, cherries and candy corn dominate the flavor, and the hop kick is remarkably still very present in the finish. even with two years and a multitude of sucrosial layers, a certain grassiness still exists. proof positive that alcohol is a preservative. abv is most noticeable as a warming sensation in the stomach, and the fire definitely builds up down there. this is much more drinkable than it should be.

this isn't really a double ipa, it's more of a strong ale. i can put away hercules like nobody's business, this thing is a digestif at best. take it carefully and enjoy every sip- you won't regret spending some time with the humongous dogfish.

4.39/5  rDev +10.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

As a hophead, this is my perfect pallet wrecking brew. The hops punch you in the face the moment this huge beer passes your lips. Be careful because the 18+ ABV will kick you in the face faster than a pissed off mule. Grab a few if you can drink half and store the rest. This year beer much better than your ex.

4.39/5  rDev +10.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: It is a hazy dark orange that you can hardly see through.

S: It has a surprisingly sweet malt smell followed by the big hops and of course, the booze.

T: Tropical Fruits at the beginning, followed by the booze and hops. after the first few sips, it all blends together.

F: It is very carbonated for the ABV, its got a good body, not too thick

Overall this is a great beer fresh or aged. I am reviewing the newest batch from 2014. I would strongly suggest sharing this with at least one other person, its a lot for one person.

4.4/5  rDev +10.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

2008 Bottle opened on 12/23/14

6 years were magic for this gem.

Not very pretty on the pour. Very dark ruby color with a white head and a murky body. The smell was impressive. Incredibly sweet candied raisins, plum, molasses, and no hop presence to be found. The flavor is incredibly sweet but it balances out the high alcohol content. This is full barleywine territory in flavor. Despite the sweetness, the flavor is an impressive version of the nose. Very full bodied, cloyingly sweet, mild alcohol burn, and virtually non-existent carbonation.

Having never had this before and my first bottle being a '08 vintage, I'm truly impressed with how this held up. I would love to try this beast fresh but age works magic on this monster of a beer.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

I had this 120 min at the restaurant in Gaithersburg and it was super fresh, having been released about a week beforehand (I had it on Jul 19). Previously I'd only had aged bottles and they always tasted like barleywines. Fresh 120 minute actually tastes/smells like an extra malty and boozy IPA.

A: Cloudy orange colour and a 1 cm head that lasts. 4.5

S: Intense hops. Amarillo to the point of feeling like I'm eating it. Very green aroma. 4.5

T: The hoppiness is there, but I noticed the strong, malty base more. Very roasty malt. The crystal malt that gives it a strong toffee flavour. Pretty sweet with some smoke. Not especially bitter. Oily green hop aftertaste sticks to the tongue. Dare I say, it could have used more hops. Unique and yum though. 4.5

M: Foamy and thick 4.5

O 4.

4.4/5  rDev +10.8%

Pours pretty, hazy dark amber, the color of good honey. Nose is moderately strong with boozey apricot hops.

This beer hides its alcohol well, which is to say it drinks like a 12% instead of the 21% it actually is. The flavor is very smooth and hard to describe, besides that it tastes like what would happen if a good, solid lighter IPA (Two Hearted Ale, Terminal Gravity, Walking Man, or something like that) got older and wiser, gained some weight, and developed an appreciation for the finer points of living. Very rounded, but dries out on the finish and the 120IBU finally starts to show.

Mouthfeel is a little greasy, which is to be expected from a beer with a higher ABV than most liqueur. And it gets very dry, as mentioned, at the end.

Obviously, this is not a session beer. Best enjoyed as a celebration or on a special occasion (I got a new job!)--and in that respect, it's great. It's a little over the top, but for what it is, I don't know if Dogfish Head could have done much better.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

I am a bit conflicted on this beer. I really do like it but maybe it is just all the build up and the year of anticipation; but it was not quite everything I was hoping it would be. Maybe I was just expecting the wrong things... I did taste this side by side with the Golden Shower (a little experiment comparing DFH sugar levels in the various beers). So maybe I will try it again not next to and Impy Pils. Still, on its own merit this is the largest ABV beer I have ever had (WWS is 18%) and I did love the fact that it drank like a smooth light rum. MMM Jamaican Rum. =)

Appearance: Pours a dark gold cloudy orange color with a fluffy white head.

Smell: SUGAR sweet grain, alcohol, RUM and port fill the nose with a whirlwind of aromas, and triggers of liquor. There is a hint of some fruit but I was really digging to find the *big* hop I expected. The nose seemed to reveal more of a pale malt and breadiness.

Taste: The flavor is *big*. The first thing that came to my mind as the 21% alcohol hit my lips is aged rum. I had a bottle of 15 year rum from Haiti (thanks froggyfrog) and this brought back memories. Now I know it is not the same but that is how mental triggers work. Delving further into the flavor I found suggestions of vanilla, fusel alcohol, earthy citrus floral hop character, more sweet malts and dark fruits on top of raw sugar. All this but swirled into a nicely balanced very warming body of alcohol.

Mouthfeel: Much more thick and almost chewy than I would have expected but still quite slick and smooth.

Drinkability: This is definitely a sipping beer. I had it next to a hot grill on a hot day and I won’t do that again. It is one to treasure on a cool evening in the fall, after you have put on your slippers for the evening pour it into a snifter and sip.

Hope this is helpful.
Cheers!

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

This beer is called the "Holy Grail for hopheads." In my humble opinion, I would think a hophead would get more enjoyment out of a nice, powerful IPA or American pale ale as opposed to an Imperial IPA, only because the malt profile is so prevalent in this style of beer that it somewhat detracts from a real big hop bitterness. But that is not to take anything away from this delicious brew.

It poured a smooth, clear amber into a brandy snifter, with minimal head, but nice web-like lacing around the edges of the glass. The aroma was very sweet. There were hints of fruits and flowers, as well as a musty smell that transformed into alcohol as the beer warmed.

The huge, caramel malt backbone really pushes through and navigates its way through a rambunctious hopfield to balance everything out. The bitter hops keep things interesting, as hints of fruits, citrus, and pine try their hardest to assault the palate. The alcohol is masked incredibly well, but you still feel like the beer has some weight behind it (and it does). Mouthfeel is smooth and thick, and not very carbonated. Obviously this is a sipping beer, one to be enjoyed with another (I was fine after splitting a 12oz bottle) and a perfect winter treat.

look: 5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

While not a fan of IPA's in general I am a real big fan of the 60 and 90 minute so I bit the bullet, put out the money and decided to give this one a try. Outstanding appearance but not as sweet a nose as the 60 and 90. Wow, now that is strong beer, you definitely notice the alcohol in the flavor but does not taste as strong as it is, but you do get the warmth as the beer goes down. As I drank the beer if continued to grow on me, I adjusted to the alcohol and then it became tastier and tastier as it warmed. A great beer and I have to say is worth the price.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

April 2008 bottle. Fresh is the way to drink this beer. the hoppiest of the three bottles I've reviewed on here. Get this beer fresh to experience the hops. Alcohol is a little hotter too.
2007
Pours a hazy reddish orange into my DFH snifter. Smallish head which dissipates quickly. Piny hoppy scent which doesn't leave much room for anything else. The level of hops in the aroma promises a severe shredding of taste buds, but the flavor is a lot more balanced than you might guess. Sweet malt balances and almost overpowers the citrus of the hops. The alcohol is well hidden for such strong beer but hits pretty hard a few minutes later. As the beer warms the hops become more pronounced. A truly unique beer, one I look forward to every year. This is the May 2007 release and I think that my other bottles will benefit from six months of cellaring as this seems a bit rough around the edges compared to some other years.
July 1
One month later and I had another bottle from the same 4 pack. It is already much smoother. The malt is actually more prominent than the hops. Candied fruits, sugars are up front now. This reminds me of a barley wine much more than it does a DIPA.

look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

This is my first review.

Let me start out by saying that i prefer strong ales and IPA's

I had this brew at RFD in washington DC.

While eating dinner with a friend i noticed this beer and was attracted by the high ABV which exceeded anything i have previously had. at $20 for 12oz bottle i had fairly high hopes.

A pouring into the glass it had a nice autumn color maybe a little darker than a normal IPA but still attractive

S this is where things started to go down hill it wasn't horrible but behind the hops smell there was this sickly sweet smell.

T Now maybe i got a bad bottle but this was disgusting. Between college and the army i have had some horrendous alcoholic beverages but this was on par with rot gut tequila. The only two discernable tastes were that of a sickly sweet syrup that leads into a taste that i can only define as industrial alcohol or everclear.

M The mouth feel was fairly thin and unimpressive.

D this is the least drinkable beer ive ever had

i wasnt even able to finish the bottle. i eventually poured what was left into a half filled glass of a dark amber ale the resulting drink actually tasted rather delicious.

I believe there was probably something wrong with my bottle leading me to believe that maybe the brewing process used for this beer is a little hit or miss and i got one of the misses. i plan on trying this beer again at another venue and finding out.

Well, it finally happened. Years later, I have had 120 Min and enjoyed it very much. During a friend's going away party rare beer that he could not take with was flowing like Coors. A bottle of indeterminably aged (> 1 year) 120 Min was opened, and it was great. It was given to me blind, with the desire that I guess what it was. It was completely different than the previous times I had tasted it, and I was able to taste it fresh, and without bias. My updated scores reflect this tasting. If anybody has read this twice, remember to age before you drink.

Original score 4,3,1,2,1

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Pours an opaque, deep-orange with a small off-white head. I can smell the floral and citrus aromas with the beer sitting on the desk next to me. The first smell is full of bright-orange aromas coupled with a sharp alcohol bite. A light floral note sneaks through the back, screaming of some crazy-hop infusion. I can tell it's bitter, but the smell isn't really letting that lose. It's more sweet, citrusy, and floral than it is outright bitter hoppy. I know those aromas are in fact derived from the hops, but it's different than I would have expected. The first sip is significantly less intense than I expected. The citrus bite hits right up front, mostly citrus zest, with a larger emphasis placed on orange than lemon. The ABV, all 21.00% of it hits the tongue at the same time as a slightly grassy hop note, burning just a little bit on the tongue before the swallow. A pronounced burning hits the throat, but it's by no means harsh, just a general sense of warm. A mild sweetness cuts under everything, brightening the beer up just a touch. After a few more sips, the citrus flavor becomes a little sweeter, more reminiscent of a real orange than the zest. The alcohol picks up a bit as well, warming and biting harder than it did earlier. After a little warming, this thing picks up some serious power. The hops still don't carry too much of a bitter taste, but they certainly make up for it with the insane amount of floral and citrus notes that come into play. The alcohol hits the same way, strong, intense, and delightful. There's a subtlety here that is lost in other DIPAs, Southern Tier Hoppe comes to mind. Somehow, with almost twice the alcohol, it tastes less like vodka and more like a damn fine beer. Quality all around. I'm looking forward to Black and Tanning this with World Wide Stout. It should be an exercise in ludicrousness. The overall profile is a little unbalanced for my taste, but not enough so to really hurt this thing. It's over-the-top, but deliberately so. Well-done and well-rounded...at least as far as it can be.

4.4/5  rDev +10.8%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a trappist glass. Beautiful color, very little head.Pleasent fruity aroma. Very little bitterness. I taste the slightest little bit of a smoky flavor. I wouldn't be able to tell that this beer is 21% abv. It drinks so smooth. Very highly recommended. Yeah, it'll run you $8 - 9, but it's worth it. If you've ever heard the hype about this beer, believe it. This is one reason why American Double IPA is my favorite type of beer.

4.4/5  rDev +10.8%

This beer is not an ipa, or an iipa, or anything one could categorize. Only Dogfish Head can put such a crazy twist on something.

This beer is an amber delight with a little bit of head, surprising for the abv.

Smells of sweet sweet hops and alcohol, not so much hot as vinous. This is going to be a recurring theme in the beer, this beer drinks much like a wine (only better of course).

The hops give a wonderful essence to the palate of this lupuliquor. They come in droves, lines, lines, lines deep, but leave no bitter trace as the warming malty alcohol washes them away. The alcohol is amazingly well hidden in this uberbrew. I am shocked with every passing sip.

The mouthfeel is interesting, little to no hop bitterness, a sweet tang, slightly off kilter but the carbonation works wonders.

I could drink a bottle of this without much problems, pretty good drinkings for such a big brew. I love DFH

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Dogfish Head 120 minute IPA pours a burgundy red with a moderate white head. The head is very thick, not in height, but in amount of bubbles….if that makes any sense. It looks very creamy. The bubbles are very small and compact they leave good lacing. It smells of hops, did you expect me not to say it? It has a very floral aroma with breads, tropical fruits and just a hint of caramel underlying. Of course there is an alcohol smell to it but if you didn’t see that one coming from around the corner then you need to step off of the short bus.

WOW! There is sooo much going on here. Well, firstly, it is a little syrupy and viscous. Sticky! There is really a nice balance of malt, hops and alcohol here. It has a nice sweet, fruity taste. The alcohol isn’t overpowering, surprisingly. Mouthfeel is really excellent. Although it is slightly thicker than I typically prefer, it is nice. It coats the mouth and feels chewy. Good carbonation. Not too much though; I was afraid that there was going to be a ridiculous amount of carbonation in this one.

At the outset of this endeavor, I went into it with an idea of what this beer was. I thought that it was a novelty of sorts. I was wrong. It isn’t overpowering and has plenty going on. I thought that I was going to be getting myself into a bottle of pancake syrup with lots of burning alcohol. Again, I was wide of the mark. I am impressed. I paid about $9 per bottle, but it was worth it. It was tasty, enjoyable and entertaining. I am anxious to cellar the other bottles. I rate the drinkability at 4.0 due to the fact that it is about 21% abv and about $9 a bottle. That means that I can only drink a couple of them before I am piss ass drunk AND broke.

4.4/5  rDev +10.8%

While thoroughly examining the impressive beer menu at the Sunset Grill & Tap in Boston, MA, I noticed it. Could it be? Yes, to my surprise, they had Dogfish Head's elusive 120 Minute IPA on tap.. and there was no way I could walk out of that establishment without having tried it.

Appearance: the lighting at the bar was dark, which limited my ability to fully assess it's appearance. However, it's color is dark orange with a thin head.

Smell: right away, you could detect the booziness in the nose. This smell of alcohol seemed to fuse with the remaining citrus scents.

Taste: wow; unlike any other beer I've ever had! This beer has more than enough sweetness to balance out the gargantuan 120 IBUs. The hops are front and center, yet somehow, they don't seem to overpower the rest of the beer. The finish really sets the 120 apart from other IPAs; there's a bitter and warming sensation from the 18% alcohol that lasts longer than any other beer I've had to date.

Mouthfeel: there is a density in the mouthfeel that really demonstrates how big this beer really is. Almost syrupy in nature.

Overall: Dogfish Head's 120 Minute IPA is a truly unique beer. Often labelled a "sipper", I found it difficult to put my glass down. A must try for anyone that considers themselves a hop-head.

4.41/5  rDev +11.1%

Got really lucky. Got the last bottle at the local binnys. They got 8 total, and I happened to be next on the call list. 2011 106 1 on bottle.

A: Beautiful dark amber. Gorgeous looking. Nice lacing.

S: I get tropical citrus fruits on the nose. Smells amazing. Hardly any alcohol in the smell.

T: Very surprised at how different this tastes. Very balanced for how high the ABV is. I really like this. Nice fruit flavor, with a nice hop bite. Awesome malt finish. Really a special brew.

M: Thickest ipa I've ever had. Similar mouthfeel to a WWS.

A great brew, if you are lucky enough to find one. Bravo DFH!!

4.41/5  rDev +11.1%

Here we go, the mother of IPAs, the mecca of hop-dom.

Pours a hazy golden orange, a slightly aggressive pour yielding a whopping two inch head, white, frothy, and cloudy, mounds of lacing sticking to the sides. After 2/3 of the bottle poured, waited for the head to settle, poured the rest in, and appeared almost smoke like streaks, clouds in the haze, must be the yeast, fascinating. Although it kind of freaks me out, this is way better/cooler than the Guiness avalanche. Quite frankly, one of the loviest (and most fascinating) brews I've yet seen.

A potent hop nose at first, then goes away, the alcohol not hiding but not oppressive, floral and has a sugar-like malty base beneath other elements.

Taste is much sweeter than I expected, and not nearly as hoppy, but you definitely need to take it slow, as the alcohol makes its presense known in the middle through the end, warming nicely, somewhat oppressive, though I'll use the term 'stern'. Mouth screws up from inital sweetness, kind of letting you off guard when the alcohol bite strikes like a cobra, puckering, and this is where the hop bittering makes its debut, and while basically overshadowed by the abv, combines with the sweet fruits and malts and sugars yielding an almost zen-like state of beer nirvana. And while I've seen others describe the taste as 'grapefruit-like', I'll say its more sweetly caramel-like syrup, coinciding with the thick mouth and the high abv to just linger there, giving you much to think about. Appropriately, the after taste, sweet and warming, stays with you for quite some time before receding.

This reminds me of when I first tried Samichlaus, another super-high abv beer, and this seems to IPAs what Samichlaus is to doppelbocks. It is wierd, as I know this is in the IPA style, I can feel it, but it has just been loaded with so much, almost to the point of overpowering, that it takes on a whole different character, a breed unto itself. One of a kind.

Take your time, sip away, respect and enjoy slowly. That is the nature of this beer, and while one person might say its hopped to high hell and abv is out of control, I say its a beautifully crafted. At $8, and basically needing to spend a half hour focusing solely on enjoying it, I can't imagine having more than one a year, or one every half year. But, I'll be headed back to the store to pick up a few to stash the cellar.

4.41/5  rDev +11.1%

2004 Vintage I believe. Pours a crystal clear orange, big white head forms and never leaves, tons of lace, one of the prettiest beers I've ever seen. Smell is piney caramel and alcohol, very strong but smells great. Taste is caramel, pine, some citrus, and a little bit of alcohol. The mouthfeel is amazingly thick, low carbonation, very warming from the throat on down, slight alcohol burn. The warming/burn is really the only alcohol presence you get, besides the fact thatr 6 oz will give you a mean buzz. Very surprisingly drinkable, it was a shame to see the end of the glass. Very underrated in my opinion, this beer is a feat. Good on you for the pickup DrJay.

4.41/5  rDev +11.1%

I've had this out of the bottle before and never bothered to review it because it would have been a rip-fest. I hated it. Just had a chance to try it on tap though, and it is a completely different experience. The appearance was a bit bland but after that it got good in a hurry. Great smelling brew, like cutting open a apricot and taking a whiff. The taste was very sweet, but not too overbearing and there were plenty of complexities that wafted in and out of your perception. At 21%, obviously you aren't drinking a lot of these, but I enjoyed my 8 oz pour very much. Really impressive. Reminds me of Behemoth from 3f's, not in taste, but in how much better it is on tap as compared to out of the bottle.

4.41/5  rDev +11.1%

Pours with a hazy golden color, with a cascade effect like I have never seen before. Much like a cream ale with the white top floating lightly on the beer down below, and it creeps op on the top. Interesting lacing left on the glass after all settles too, rigid on the side of the glass. Smell is almost non existent, but after swirling it a bit there is a touch of alcohol. Not the huge hop nose I was expecting. Taste is extraordinary. Very thick, and when it gets on your lips it wipes away like molasses. Amazing, not a hint of alcohol. You can taste the malt that was added to make the higher ABV. Almost scarily smooth, one could keep drinking this and be in trouble real quick!

look: 3 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Wiseman Justin Reporting:

Found this randomly in Libertyville, IL at a bar called Firkin. Rock on Firkin.

Appearance - Pours a hazy light amber with a pinky sized head. Head fades into a sloppy ring around the glass with pretty large bubbles. Lacing is poor and head retention is equally poor.

Smell - Very strong, almost bitingly so. Hops on the nose for sure so we're in the right place. Wet evergreens; like walking through a forest of these trees after an intense rain. I get some grapefruit and maybe citrus in there too, but for the most part the hops take the spotlight. I love the smell and maybe I'm biased, if so deal with it.

Taste - Smoky, oaky, hoppy, and all around woody. This is not a hop bomb by any means and might be one of the first true "sipping" IPA's. I get some citrus in the aftertaste but again, for the most part, woody hops dominate the show.

Mouthfeel - Smooth/Slick; almost "smokey" mouthfeel. The mouthfeel is exactly what you would expect and even desire with a beer this big. Despite the high alcohol content something about it makes you want to swish this around in your mouth and experience everything you can, while you can.

Overall: It's most damning quality is what makes it a masterpiece. This beer is a very mature and deceptively aggressive IPA. It's much like a porcupine in sheep's clothing. You complain that it's too soft and when you pull your hand back it's bleeding all over the place. This beer cannot be drunken quickly. Some other 18% beers you can, if you wanted to, drink fast with the consequence being you get drunk and you don't enjoy the beer (Black Tuesday, World Wide Stout come to mind). Not this beer. Something about it's very nature forces you to slow down and enjoy the ride. Again a very balanced and very mature IPA; one that would pair very well with a cigar of the finest quality. Enjoy the good life with 120 minute from Dogfishhead and your favorite cigar.

By the way, I thought this beer was 10% alcohol while I was drinking it. Just an assumption. It might explain why I was having such a hard time drinking it with more haste. I'm not in college anymore. Despite missing a perfect score in every area it's still an exceptional beer. Truly a remarkable accomplishment considering the ABV.

EDIT (12-19-2011): Wiseman Nick does not endorse Wiseman Justin's review. DFH 120 Minute is a terrible, syrupy mess of a beer. Wiseman Justin is a blithering idiot, but a wiseman nonetheless. See you soon friend.

EDIT (4-21-2012): Wiseman Justin reflects upon this beer and grossly disagree's with Wiseman Nick. Any number of variables could have polluted Wiseman Nick's 120 minute and therefore both Wisemen would and could be right without having to resort to "non-Wiseman" behavior (such as name calling). See you in 9 months friend.

4.41/5  rDev +11.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Undated (but presumably quite fresh) bottle split with a friend. (A split is probably a really good idea at this ABV. This is a really potent brew.) However, after 6 oz I was regretting sharing it. It was THAT GOOD.
Appearance is nothing special. Medium gold; tenacious white head; carbonation is spot on.
Taste: oh, my. Malty, sweet caramel, some hops bitterness but VERY subdued.
Smooth and extremely easy to drink. Syrupy, almost. The alcohol is there but it's so nicely integrated that you just go with it. Had a 21st Amendment Hop Crisis (one of my all-time favorite DIPAs) immediately following and it tasted thin and flavorless.
Keep telling yourself "sip it, sip it" - but it's SO good. Again, it's probably best that I split a bottle.
At ten bucks a pop and 18%, this would not be a regular indulgence. However, if you get a chance to try it (and don't have to drive), it's highly recommended.
I have a second bottle that's going in the cellar for a year or two. There aren't many rough edges on this brew, and it's an IPA (and therefore best if it's fresh?), but the bottle does say that it ages well so I gotta see.

Update: OK, so I had the opportunity to score a fresh 32 oz growler while in DE. So much for cellaring.) I reiterate everything I said above, and then some! Not yo mamma's DI(PA.

To elaborate: DFH 120 is thicker, sweeter, boozier, smoother than any IPA/DIPA. If you're looking for a hop bomb, this ain't it. I would contend that 120-Minute would fall into the Strong Scotch Ale/Wee Heavy category. And it would be near the top of the class no matter where you classify it. Kudos to DFH!

120 Minute IPA from Dogfish Head Craft Brewery