Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

120 Minute IPA | Dogfish Head Craft Brewery

Ratings: 8,248 |  Reviews: 2,344
1.25/5  rDev -69.6%

1.25/5  rDev -69.6%

1.29/5  rDev -68.6%

Got two of these in trade with randomdanger. Will, why didn't you warn me what I was doing? Shared with gwuilliums on his birthday 2010.

2009 vintage, poured into tulips.

A: Amber color with a thin head that hung around. Clear and slightly syrupy as you move the glass.

S: You have got to be KIDDING ME!! This beer is so sickly sweet smelling that I nearly could not bring myself to drink it.
Wow! It's supposed to be an IPA, right? Smells like caramelized barleywine!

T: I have had many, many cough syrups that were less fusel and not nearly as sickeningly sweet as this [beer].

M: Super syrupy. Cloying does not begin to describe this!!

D: After a second drink to see if we could swallow it a second time, (we couldn't) spit and pour into the trees. I hope it doesn't kill my tree...

1.34/5  rDev -67.4%

A: Decent color. More amber than pale, but considering the style that's typical. Not much head, little retention.

S: Straight up rubbing alcohol mixed with some sickly barley sweetness. Honestly no hop aroma to be found.

T: This is a mess. It is overly sweet, has NO hop flavor (if you think this has hop flavor please tell me what hops you're getting: Centennial? No. Cascade? No. This tastes like robitusson mated with KY Jelly. I would honestly rather drink goat's piss than have this again. It is NOT polished, NOT balanced, and is just NOT well done. Just because a beer is big and has bold flavors doesn't make it good; Star Jones is big and bold, that doesn't mean I like her...

M/D: Feel is slimy and overly thick, and this is as drinkable as fish eyes mixed with camel spew.

1.35/5  rDev -67.2%

This 2013 iteration was consumed at the Tap House over 20 minutes.
Pours copper color with very little head and just a bit of bubbles up top and some lacing.

For all the hops, there's very little scent of them. I get some toffee, caramel, rum raisin and a hint of fennel. It's funky in a way that ain't funky...And the strangeness progresses to bad...

It tastes of spoiled maple syrup, molasses, and a sweet hay. It might have some complexity to comment on, but I can't stick with it long enough to find what's interesting. The hops have gone well past bitter and dominate in an untoward manner...with sticky essential oils. This is such an off-putting unilateral experience, I struggle to consume it.

The mouthfeel is heavy and medicinal, making the poor flavor harder to tolerate, because it doesn't go away as rapidly as I'd hope. For all the alcohol, it's not very hot and desperately needs more carbonation and spice to cut it.

I expected a wildly spicy hopbomb, but this is a syrupy fortified, chewy wine--a dessert wine that I don't deserve! What happened to the 120 this year? It's truly awful.

1.39/5  rDev -66.2%

This poured a very cloudy orange color. Almost half the glass was full of foam. Careful pouring this.

Although there was a quick frenzy of smells when I first poured this beer, it subdued into almost nothing quite quickly. As I waited for the foam to settle, the smell settled down to a dull fruity musk.

The flavor will make you stop what you're doing. Even if all you're doing is drinking beer. I'm immediately reminded of "Four O", a malt liquor by La Crosse brewing that is ranked at 10% ABV. It's high dextrose content gave off a solvent and fuel like flavor. While that beer tried its best to mask that flavor, this beer fails at it. I'm still not finished drinking this beer, and I've gone off and read about 20 reviews, 3 beer style reviews, and read all my email since I started the bottle and this review. I've been making bitter beer face the whole time.

This beer is too thick, too sugary, too sweet, too strong. And here I thought I was going to be hopped to death? The hop flavor takes a back seat to the syrup flavor.

This won't stop me from buying another bottle and hiding it in the basement for a decade. After all, it does say on the side of the bottle:

"What you have here is the holy grail for hopheads. This beer is continually hopped over a 120-minute boil and then dry-hopped every day for a month. Enjoy now or age for a decade or so."

1.42/5  rDev -65.5%

Looked good enough. Poured nice and rich with hearty color and top. I should have stopped there. I know this is supposed to be constructive but this is not for me.

The smell is of medicine. Cough syrup, malts, hops a little line pine-cleaner.

The taste is worse than the smell. Is this really a DIPA? A TIPA? Tasted like an overly sweetened malty boozy barley wine with some hops thrown in (or pine-scented cleaner). It was not refreshing and I couldn't even nurse it. It's just not a good flavor. Perhaps they need more testing of what's leaving the brewery? Or maybe it's just a high alcohol gimmick? I'm a hophead, IPA lover.

This is a beer you drink on a dare. It's not drinkable. Maybe put a shot of it in some seltzer water.

1.44/5  rDev -65%
look: 3.75 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1 | feel: 1 | overall: 1.75

I will cut to the chase to avoid confusion. It's cough syrup mixed with rubbing alcohol. Not even glad I got the chance to try it.

1.44/5  rDev -65%

Chilled bottle into a glass. Part of a vertical from 2003 to 2009, minus the 04. Thanks to Mark (mfielden) for bringing half the bottles. Thanks to tprokop7, Uwftke26, and drabmuh for supplying my half in trades. Thanks!

I'm reviewing the '09 here.

A: Pours a clear amber body, with a surprising cap on the brew. It retains longer than expected for a beer of this ABV.

S: We started with the 09 and worked backward. The aroma of this one alone nearly killed my desire to go forward. Solventy paint thinner, perfumey, citrus hops... It's like grapefruit soaked in bottom shelf vodka. I'm not sure I understand how anyone would sniff this and think, "We can bottle it and sell it!" Why? Why would you do that?

T: Again, a perfumey, citrusy, extremely fusel-y experience. This really isn't my beer at all when fresh. It's sweet, boozy, harsh.

M: Chewy, full-bodied, bracingly boozy. Harsh is actually an understatement.

D: This was worth it for the novelty alone, but even my small pour was a chore off this fresh bottle. This challenges drinkability. I would not have this beer again. Vile stuff.

1.46/5  rDev -64.5%

Anybody who's had a colonoscopy knows how hard it is to drink the prep. You hold your nose and do anything possible to distract yourself from the thick sickenly sweet, perfumely, pungent, syrup that's about to enter your body. I find myself doing the same with this brew. The sweetness is too much to take. The smell is not pleasant, and the mouth feel, combined with the above conspires to make the whole experience unpleasant. I tried really hard to finish the bottle, but alas, it's down the drain.

1.49/5  rDev -63.7%

I had this on tap at noc noc in San Francisco. I really wanted to try a triple IPA even though, honestly I was not fond of the 90min Dogfish - truth be told, not too fond of Dogfish brewery as a whole. Watched them on Brew Masters and kind of found their brewer to be a douche.

Anyway the beer was served in a wine glass

no head whatsover, not even a lil lip bumper.

tasted so overwhelmingly like alcohol - it had none of that IPA hop bouquet that I look for.

Took awhile to drink - after the first few sips the burn was so much that I felt like I needed a nice refreshing IPA to use a a chaser for this beer.

Really it tasted more like an amalgamation between brandy and whiskey that's sparkling. What IPA taste was there was more Belgium style.

Anyway, won't waste my money again.

Cheers

1.5/5  rDev -63.5%

Shared by a roommate that wanted to give this one a try. 12oz bottle (not sure of the vintage). 4oz. pour into a snifter.

A: Healthy pour yields a 1 finger semi-fine white head with decent retention. Beer is a clear, pinkish-peach. Lacing is ringed and patchy with decent stick.

S: Vinegar and booze with the former being (unbelievably) more prominent than the later. Oh yeah, there's a bit of near undetectable citrus hops in the back.

T: Holy shit. A booze bomb all the way. This is more of a barleywine than an IPA. Alchohol is pervasive and vinegary characteristic makes me wanna puke. Hops are barely detectable, just like any other flavors that might've been present. Super sweet also with no hop bitterness. Finish is more of the same with an oily, boozy, sugary aftertaste that just won't go away.

M: Medium bodied, good carbonation and oily in the mouth. No liveliness like I expect from an IPA, however it is a bit coarse around the edges. Finish is messy and aftertaste lingers.

D: I don't know how this is categorized as an IPA and not straight vinegar. Sour from the nose to the mouth but the sad thing is, I can barely get the sourness in the taste because its covered by the immense alcohol. Don't waste your money. I'm glad this was shared because if I had it myself, I would've sipped about an ounce and drain-poured the rest. DFH makes a line of great IPAs with their 60, 75, and 90 minute beers. However, for me, this is definitely the odd man out. Its horrible.

1.5/5  rDev -63.5%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a cognac snifter. It looks hazy orange and its completely opaque.

It smells like nail polish remover that has been seasoned with off hops. It is just terrible. It smells like the orange Old English Wood Soap that I use to mop my floors. This could make paint fall off a shed.

The taste is like some terrible new hop-flavored black rum. I am used to my hop bombs being hop forward, and malts secondary. This is the opposite where the sweetness is front and center and the hops are fighting with it. There is nothing good about the taste of this beer. It tastes like if Admiral Nelson made a port or the type of liquor you use in baking.

The mouthfeel adds to the already less than ideal characteristics, making this beer one of my all time least favorites. I would sooner drink Natural Ice than drink this.

This beer is ambitious and that is all it is. I like Dogfish Head as a brewery, and I am really glad they are in Bloomington and Indiana on the whole, but this beer frankly is just awful with no redeeming characteristics. I ended up drain pouring it. I have had enough beers like Founders Devil Dancer that I can appreciate an ambitious attempt at making a one-of-a-kind beer, however, this beer is just too much. There is fine line between a pleasant beer, which rather than attacking the palate attempts to work with it, and a beer that fights your palate every step of the way. I wouldn't recommend this beer to my worst enemy.

120 Minute IPA from Dogfish Head Craft Brewery