120 Minute IPA | Dogfish Head Craft Brewery

ABV varies from 15-20%.

Added by frank4sail on 03-24-2003

Ratings: 8,236 |  Reviews: 2,343

1.5/5  rDev -63.5%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a cognac snifter. It looks hazy orange and its completely opaque.

It smells like nail polish remover that has been seasoned with off hops. It is just terrible. It smells like the orange Old English Wood Soap that I use to mop my floors. This could make paint fall off a shed.

The taste is like some terrible new hop-flavored black rum. I am used to my hop bombs being hop forward, and malts secondary. This is the opposite where the sweetness is front and center and the hops are fighting with it. There is nothing good about the taste of this beer. It tastes like if Admiral Nelson made a port or the type of liquor you use in baking.

The mouthfeel adds to the already less than ideal characteristics, making this beer one of my all time least favorites. I would sooner drink Natural Ice than drink this.

This beer is ambitious and that is all it is. I like Dogfish Head as a brewery, and I am really glad they are in Bloomington and Indiana on the whole, but this beer frankly is just awful with no redeeming characteristics. I ended up drain pouring it. I have had enough beers like Founders Devil Dancer that I can appreciate an ambitious attempt at making a one-of-a-kind beer, however, this beer is just too much. There is fine line between a pleasant beer, which rather than attacking the palate attempts to work with it, and a beer that fights your palate every step of the way. I wouldn't recommend this beer to my worst enemy.

1.51/5  rDev -63.3%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1 | overall: 1

1.52/5  rDev -63%
look: 4.5 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

This isn't a beer. This is a light hard alcohol with a lot if hops. Got it just to try and that's all I am going to do with it. Not great in my opinion.

1.55/5  rDev -62.3%

12 oz bottle in pint glass

light amber color that is very hazy. one finger of head that maintains pretty well. the taste is ridiculously boozy, sweet and nauseating. the thick sweetness coats your mouth and before you can work your way around that the booze kicks in. mouthpuckering and makes you cringe. in no way drinkable. could not even come close to finishing this one.

1.59/5  rDev -61.3%

This beer had been lavishly praised by a friend but it can't be had where I live, so when I saw it on a trip, I bought a 4 pack. I was very disappointed (The price is absurd-- ahh, the wonders of marketing). I found it had no balance and the hops were so overpowering the only other flavor besides unadorned sweetness I could really distinguish was a strong raw alcohol. Rather than a malty flavor, it tasted more "woody" and sugary as if pine bark and molasses were part of the wort.

I was impatient and drank the first one after only a short stay in the fridge. The best description I could come up with would be ultra-sweetened hop tea mixed with grain alcohol added to a run of the mill IPA..

Maybe I got a bad batch but I did not think it was good at all. It was essentially undrinkable lukewarm and I had to chill it to the point my palate was numbed for it not to be unpleasant.

If we want to give points for extremism. that's one thing, but if tasting good and being pleasurable to drink are criteria this one fails.

1.59/5  rDev -61.3%
look: 3 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

A friend of mine came in from Cleveland looking for a quick and fancy drunk one night. He grabbed a four pack of this and said it was the most rancid thing to cross his lips. The other three bottles are mine.

Look - Almost a brownish golden hue with a minimal head. Carbonation is low. No lace or stick.

Smell - Wet catty hops and alcohol. Like there was virtually no attempt to hide the alcohol here. At all.

Taste - Only 18% you say? Tastes like rubbing alcohol with some cat piss mixed into the bunch from the hops used.

Feel - Thick and burning. Swallows rough and astringent.

Overall - Usually DFH makes some great beers. I always wanted to try this but the day my local craft shop received it a man came in and offered $350 for a single case in order to bypass the one bottle limit. What a fucking idiot. Glad this was given to me. Not quite sure what gimmick DFH is trying to pull but I've had TRIPAS near this ABV that were a thousand times better. Guess I can pawn off the remaining bottles to my neighbor. Terrible.

1.6/5  rDev -61.1%

On tap at TJ's on 12/5/09 for their 6th Anniversary celebration.

A - Beautiful clear orange-colored body with ruby highlights and amber hues and half a finger of bubbly off-white head that reduced to a patchy veil and deposited minimal lace around the snifter.

S - Hmmmm... smells like solvent or kerosene or some kind of glue or nail polish remover. Think Silly String. You know that brightly colored, foamy stuff that you shoot out of an aerosol can? Unfortunately, yes. Now you get some idea of how nasty this smells. Some citrus peel/hop oil character attempts to claw its way through the overpowering gas-like fume to no avail.

T - Flavor is really hot, perhaps the hottest beer I've ever had in my mouth. This is ultimately extremely sweet and syrupy, and doesn't really scream hops at all. As a matter of fact, it doesn't even whisper hops. I hope for the sake of this beer's reputation that this was a bad batch, because I've heard that this beer is amazing on tap. Let me tell you, amazing this is not. Imagine (as bad as it sounds) drinking a glass of gasoline with a giant heap of sugar mixed in.

M - Mouthfeel is sweet and cloying beyond belief. Texture is syrupy and very sticky. There is virtually no hop bitterness on the palate at all.

D - Honestly, I would have drain poured this if I didn't pay over $6 for a snifter. Very, VERY disappointed with this offering on tap. 90min. is so much better and hoppier than this abomination, and the only reason I can think of that DFH would brew such an undrinkable beer is purely for the novelty of it.

Brewslut's Quote of the Day:
"Smells like vinegar and Easter Egg dye."

1.66/5  rDev -59.6%

Bottle dated April 2008--9 months old at the time of review. Pours a thick orange/copper with a small eggshell head. The foam dissipates quickly to leave some wispy traces and a collar. Small amounts of sediment. Smells...big. Definite floral hops, but there's so much sweet, biscuity malt that it's hard to decide which is dominant. Apricot jelly/syrup mixed with a bit of apple cider vinegar. Incredibly boozy--I've never actually had a beer that burned my nose upon sniffing. Very loosely reminiscent of a brandy. It's all sweet malt and alcohol upon tasting. Some hop flavor and bitterness, but it's really quite masked. Warming (burning) finish. A syrupy, boozy mess.

1.66/5  rDev -59.6%

1.72/5  rDev -58.2%

vintage 2011

A: Copper in color, barely any head.

S: Piney hop resin buried in a mountain of sickly sweet malt and booze.

T/M: Thick and oily traces of hops, greatly overshadowed by copious amounts of caramel malt and alcohol. Mouthfeel is reminiscent of cough syrup, and the flavor profile is close enough to back it up. Serves as a decent sipper for a minute or two, but soon causes me to cringe. This is not IPA concentrate.

O: A mess, should not exist.

1.72/5  rDev -58.2%

1.75/5  rDev -57.4%
look: 1.75 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.75

1.75/5  rDev -57.4%

1.76/5  rDev -57.2%

L: beautiful golden amber, darker than most DIPAs, good head retention - 4

S: piney...alcohol... - 2.25

T: Like eating a pine cone dipped in everclear - 1

F: Like a DIPA frozen into a popsicle, then dipped in booze- laced simple syrup, then thawed and poured un-asked- for down the throat

Overall: nothing else to add

Disclaimer: I'm a former IPA nerd. I tried this a solid year plus after the end of my IPA honeymoon.

1.78/5  rDev -56.7%

1.78/5  rDev -56.7%

wow! this beer is extremely disappointing. dogfish head's 60 and 90 minute ipa's are excellent. the 90 is one of my 3 favorites along with lagunitas hop stoopid and stone's ruination.

this beer is not an IPA. it's a barleywine.

actually it tastes like a bad port wine i had once in college.

it looks amazing

the feel and body are great, very velvety

the nose is great too!, if you're an 8 year old girl at a carnival
this thing smells like cotton candy.

the taste? very fruity, too malty, too syrupy

it might be good on hot waffles!?!
at least the butter could balance the sweetness.

the hops were wasted on this "beer"

they would have tasted better on spaghetti.

120 Minute IPA from Dogfish Head Craft Brewery