120 Minute IPA | Dogfish Head Craft Brewery

ABV varies from 15-20%.

Added by frank4sail on 03-24-2003

Ratings: 8,156 |  Reviews: 2,315
4.25/5  rDev +7.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

3.5/5  rDev -11.6%

4.46/5  rDev +12.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

3.5/5  rDev -11.6%

12 oz bottle. Super thick and syrupy as it poured! Color was like a copper/amber. Good hop & malt balance. Hot and boozy slow sipper. Good for 2 people to split a bottle if you plan on drinking other stuff that day. It wasn't my bottle. If it was, I would have aged it at least 6 months to take the boozy edge off. Overall, for the asking price, it's a beer I would buy 1 or 2 bottles of, but not go crazy trying to stock.

3.75/5  rDev -5.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

4.21/5  rDev +6.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

3.93/5  rDev -0.8%

3.58/5  rDev -9.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

$ 33/four pack of 12 oz bottles ($ 0.687/oz) at Franklin Beer Co, Franklin, PA.
Bottled 04/07/17, stored at 42 degrees, served at 42 degrees in a hand washed and dried Jester King snifter.
Aroma – An almost oily smell of citrus peel and a little spruce.
Head – large (Maximum 4.5 cm, aggressive pour), off white with a yellowish cast, medium density froth, above average retention time, diminishing to an uneven five to seven mm ring of tiny to average bubbles and a complete layer of varying thicknesses.
Lacing – fair. Small pieces and drag marks of tiny bubbles.
Body – amber, hazy.
Flavor – moderately bitter and malty. Hops flavor is subdued and lacking distinct tendencies toward the usual descriptors of piney, floral, fruity, etc. The alcohol does not show in either the taste or aroma but makes its presence known in the slow gastric burn.
Palate – medium, oily, soft carbonation.

Well. IMHO overpriced and over rated. The bottle states that it ages well. Maybe I’ll stick a couple away for a year or two then revisit. At this point in time I see no reason to buy more.

Appearance 3.75, Aroma 3.75, Flavor 3.5, Palate 3.5, Overall 3.5.

3.02/5  rDev -23.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

3.3/5  rDev -16.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Just not a beer. I dont know what to say. It's basically like a concentrated beer. An ipa thats been left out in the sun for far too long. It's a shot of beer. I cant see how this would be enjoyable to drink.

4.64/5  rDev +17.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

4.28/5  rDev +8.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

3.73/5  rDev -5.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

I had this in a chalice. The appearance was a hazy orange to brown color with a one finger white foamy head that dissipated within less than a minute. There was barely any lacing but what was there trickled and slid right into the beer. The smell started off with booze making me think I should’ve waited on this Because of the amount of booze I got from this, it took me a good three hours to consume this. As it warms, there are some nice sweet citrus fruity malts along with a super light bitterness from the hops. The taste had a long dry sweet fruity and somewhat bitter flavoring running all about my taste buds. On the palate, it kinda wrecked my taste buds with the amount of booze knocking me back into my recliner. With one month of age on this, don’t try to reckon with this one, as it’s a sipper. Overall, though the booze was strong I’m probably still willing to have again but will most likely next time age it if I ever get that chance again.

3.79/5  rDev -4.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

4.61/5  rDev +16.4%

Deep rich thick copper color. Extremely appealing to the eyes. The smell is of light pine that is overwhelmed with a boozy aroma. The taste is deep and the best I can explain it is warm and caramal! It's thick, oily, rich, and beyond words. Not much hop taste but thick malt. Lots of sticky raisin leftovers. For a beer of this gravity it does go down effortlessly. Not much aftertaste which is surprising.

= When I heard my local store had these in I had to try it. My highest ABV beer I've had so far. It pleasantly surprised me. Try this if you ever get a chance and consider yourself a hophead. It's something that's almost indescribable.

4.09/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

3.34/5  rDev -15.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Spring 2016 Bottle.

Figured I would let this mellow for a bit.....Well that didn't work...hahah
This is a boozy son of a gun....much prefer the 90 minute over this...kind of a malt bomb, but it is an experience....

3.61/5  rDev -8.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

4.21/5  rDev +6.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

2.98/5  rDev -24.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

Bottled 3/30/17

Pours a murky dull orange with one finger head which recedes to a sparse film but ample collar

Smell is somewhat fruity, bubble gum, a little orange and booze.

First taste is hot with juicy fruit or fruit stripe bubble gum flavor. Subdued tanginess, light bitterness. A touch malt, caramel flavor.

Lower carbonation and medium bodied. Boozy for sure and bitterness is lasting along with the alcohol burn in back of the throat.

I kind of consider this a novelty beer. I don't think its very flavorful, just more boozy than anything. I won't be getting this one again. Yuck!

4.5/5  rDev +13.6%

12 ounce bottle poured into a snifter, bottled in 2017

A: Pours a amber, copper color with a white head that did not last, very little carbonation, slight lacing, slightly hazy.

A: Big hit of pine and resin that quickly fades into huge sweet, caramel, toffee, and vanilla malts, it's very aromatic but the hop notes are short, also picking up a good amount of alcohol, it seems like the aroma is breathing out of the glass.

T: Some pine and resin that quickly transitions into huge malt notes like caramel, toffee, vanilla, also picking up some rum like notes, it tastes like a lightly barrel aged barley wine. There's a moderate amount of bitterness, finish is semi-dry with lingering notes of malt, caramel, burnt brown sugar, toffee, vanilla. As the beer warms the alcohol gains some presence but it's not noticeable for such a high ABV.

M: Big, chewy, sticky mouthfeel, semi-dry on the palate, leaves that sticky caramel feeling on the roof of my mouth, low carbonation, drinks fairly smooth for such a big beer.

O: Not sure if I would call this a IIPA as the hop presence is lacking but it's there. The malt presence is huge but it adds a lot of depth and complexity, amazingly drinkable for such a high ABV. As the beer warms the slight hop presence fades and the malts gain more presence. Definitely a sipper. If you like IIPAs and barley wines then you must try this. Definitely worth the money at $10.99 a bottle.

3.92/5  rDev -1%

Deep gold in color with just slightly off white decent head. Good lacing all the way.
Aroma and taste hit you like a rum soaked fruit cake.
Crazy this is a double IPA. More like a Strong ale or barleywine. Not picking up the hoppiness you would expect.

Hits you with heavy 'booziness'. This would be better on a cold winter night in front of the fireplace.
Nice viscous mouthfel with light to medium carbonation which fits.

Overall, not an everyday drinker, nor can you buy it everyday anyway. Big and tasty but a bit heavy.

4.75/5  rDev +19.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

This is a big beer. I was able to purchase four of these because I saw them sitting on the counter at one of my local liquor stores. I asked if they were for sale and yes they were for a cost of $10.99/each so I bought them all! The beer poured a one finger head but dissipated pretty quickly. There is no ABV listed on the bottle but the fact that the head disappeared immediately I am assuming it is quite high. On the nose I pick up some molasses and sweetness of malt. The hops and the ether taste is what catches my palate. This is a big beer and it is not for everyone. If this beer is indeed 18% ABV it is well hidden and drinkable. Could I drink it all day long? Hell no, but I could drink it daily. I am fortunate to have found it! I will age a few bottles and see how it is at a later date. This is a wheelhouse beer and if you can't handle a big, hoppy, high ABV beer you better leave this one for the folks that drink "big boy beer"!

120 Minute IPA from Dogfish Head Craft Brewery