Welcome to BeerAdvocate!

Looking to talk, rate or trade beer? Join today by creating your free account.

Love Belgian Beer?

Added by frank4sail on 03-24-2003

Reviews: 2,222 | Ratings: 7,900
4.13/5  rDev +4.3%

--2007 Vintage--

A: Pours a deep reddish amber. Appearance is cloudy due to bottle conditioning. Off-white head is thin and dissipates rather quickly.

S: Smells of leafy, grassy hops mixed with alcohol. Not terribly complex regarding the smell. Slight dried fruit aromas emerge as the beer warms up.

T: Huge hop presence. In fact, the first sip is all hops: leafy, grassy, and herbal. However, there is plenty of malt to balance. The malt flavors are sweet, reminiscent of dried raisins. Strong rummy, boozy alcohol character is very apparent, but complements the malt and hops quite nicely. Finishes surprisingly clean. Taste is significantly more complex than the smell.

M: Full bodied and quite smooth. Perfect amount of carbonation. Rounded mouthfeel.

D: Very easy to drink for such a huge beer. However, it's a sipper for sure. Something to have on a special occasion. Great on a cold, rainy day. If I had the money I'd buy a bunch of these and age them for a few years.

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle marked "bottled on 12/18/06 ". Surprisingly, because it is an DIPA, it leaves just a one finger tan head that quickly recedes to just a foam ring at the edge, and leaves not much lacing, either, hmmm. Body is a slightly hazy orange tinted amber.

Smell - medicinal alcohol, pine resin, hint of caramel.

Taste - a little more than the nose indicates. Medicinal alcohol, sugar, caramel, and toasty malt. More medicinal alcohol, and bitter pine resin on the finish, with lingereing aftertastes of sugar, pine resin, and of course, medicinal alcohol.

Mouthfeel - medium to full bodied, and very dry.

Drinkability - this is good, but it's definitely not sessionable owing to the very high abv.

4.5/5  rDev +13.6%

Pours a hazy orange copper with a two finger head that dissipates slowly and leaves but a thin coat of foam.

Nose of most evident piney hops.

Amazing taste, very complex; much like a barleywine. Alcohol is extremely well hidden.

Mouthfeel is smooth and thick, coats the mouth.

Good sipping drinkability, definitely not a session beer.

4.85/5  rDev +22.5%

Dogfish Head really crushed one out of the park here. This is a HUGE beer. An awesome experience.

Pours a cloudy red amber-gold with a dense milky tan head that retains well and leaves solid lace.

A really great aroma as well. Fruit (light/dark), citrus, peach, spice, and some hops. A honey-like sweetness and a bit of alcohol.

This American Double IPA has massive flavor. Robust and formidable. Wonderfully and complex. A variable whirlwind of flavors all over the palate. The initial sweetness is that of orange blossom honey and light molasses, but intensifies to more resemble pure cane sugar. Caramel and hops. Nice hops. Almost syrupy, with notes of candied fruits. A nice bite on the front of the tongue and citrus toward the back. Stunning.

The texture is smooth and thick leaving a coating on the palate. Heavenly warmth. Even and decadent. There is a distinct alcohol presence but its difficult to comprehend that this beer has a 21% abv.

Definitely a beer to sip and savor. And savor it you will. One on my all time favorites. A must try.

4.59/5  rDev +15.9%

Bottled, received in trade. Holy schnikes!! This is one mother mama of a beer. My first 120 experience and I'm well pleased. Aroma is enormous, sweet and complex. Not much of a head and it's certainly a heavy brew. The flavor, this is nectar for the elites palate. Big fruit, with some honey like sweetness. Lingering flavor of hops and pine. The flavor invades every nerve in your mouth. Criminey, 21%!?!?! Geez, 2 sips and I can already feel a buzz. At that high of alcohol I'm surprised it doesn't burn like a whiskey or something, it's pretty darn smooth.
DFH, please get California distribution!!

4.31/5  rDev +8.8%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle (12/18/06) into a snifter, the 120 is a gorgeous hazy amber, with a 2 finger olive tinged egg-shell head that left sticky lace.

The smell is weird, strong and sweet but funky, a little off-putting at first, medicinal, sherry and some cinnamon, a bit like sour candy. Very unusual, and ultimately, strangely attractive.

Whoa, this sucker is one crazy beer, unlike any other. Thick sweet malt is tempered by a nice hop bittereness, although no hop aroma or flavor per say, just this really malty, almost candy like flavor. Surprisingly, this is not as hot or ethanol tasting as some 10-12% beers can be, although there's not fulling it's a booze bomb, but in a more visceral way. Or like a drug that takes a bit to kick in!

The mouthfeel, well, is actually much lighter then you might fear, and even though it's a sweet beer, it's not syrupy or a sugar bomb, a la Burton Banton, and is really well done.

As for drinkabilty, what can I possibly compare this to?? It's a +20% ABV IPA, so of course it's a really slow sipper. Nevertheless, the 120min IPA is a beer drinking experience like no other. Over all it's really nice, although it gets a little rough on the belly by then end.

3.92/5  rDev -1%

This was the very first Dogfish Head beer I tried when I first began my beer tasting hobby. It took me an hour and a half to finish, as I was not prepared for the HUGE flavor this beer packs. It turned me away from Dogfish Head for awhile. That was until someone coaxed me into trying a 90 Minute IPA. I loved it and I have tried several other DFH since then but haven't returned to the 120 Minute...until now. As it turns out the problem was my palate because, damn, this is a good beer.

Poured a 12oz. bottle into a tulip glass.

Appearance - Peach tan with a one finger head that dissipates into a foam halo on the beer's surface. A quick swirl of the glass brings the head right back.

Smell - Alcohol - and lots of it! At 21%ABV this is the most potent brew I have ever sampled. It certainly makes an appearance in the smell. I also smell caramel and hops. Overall, it smells very rich - a good indication of what it will taste like. The smell becomes a lot more apparent as the brew comes to room temperature.

Taste - Almost like the 90 Minute, just heavier on the sweet side and the hops side (obviously). The alcohol isn't as apparent in the flavor as much as it is in the smell and the mouthfeel. The alcohol makes its main appearance in the throat as it goes down. It has the sweet malty front taste followed by hop bitterness. It has a very balanced flavor - something I was surprised by.

Mouthfeel - Smooth. Perfect carbonation level. Oily with warming alcohol as it slides down the throat.

Drinkability - I would never be able to drink more than one of these, but if a second was offered to me...you never know. I would probably be too tipsy to refuse. The fact that you would be plastered after the second is why I gave this brew an average score on drinkability. I was pretty tipsy 3/4 of the way through it. But it went down smoother than a lot of other beers that I have sampled that were less than 21%ABV.

This beer is a hell of an experience. Perhaps the most accessible high ABV brews out there - definitely not for the faint of heart. It still takes me an hour and a half to finish one, but I appreciate every sip.

4.34/5  rDev +9.6%

for a beer with such a reputation I was thinking this wouldn't live up to the hype but it did! The hops were very tasty and it went down nice and smooth. I had a bottle from 2005, got it in 2006 and opened in 2007. Definitely worth the wait. Considering the thickness of it I was surprised at how sweet it tasted and how smooth it was overall. Check it out!

3.91/5  rDev -1.3%

I bought a single bottle a month or so ago, and just split it with a buddy. Both poured into pint glasses.
Appearance: A solid amber color that proved to be very transparent. A head that wouldn't quite, awsome retention, absolutly enormous, light tan in color. Leaving rings of sticky lace all the way down.
Smell: Boozy, fruity, sweet, hoppy, a bit of everything.
Taste: Similar to the smell, high boozy taste as it warmed, then turned more sweet and fruity.
Mouthfeel: A bit too smooth for my taste in IPAs.
Drinkability: I don't know how drinkable anything with 21% alcohol is, but pretty damn good.
Don't drink and review.

3.98/5  rDev +0.5%

I've wanted to try this beer for some time. Let's see if it's worth $10 for a 12-ounce bottle.

It pours a beautiful ruby red with a short foamy head and plenty of carbonation.

Wow, what an aroma! It smells of solvent alcohol and hops mixed with caramel. It's like nothing I've smelled before.

The taste is sweet with massive flavors of alcohol, leaving a strong warming in the throat after the swallow. There is a powerful citrus flavor that becomes apparent after several swallows.

The body is super smooth, thanks to the super-high ABV.

Overall this is a special occasion beer. Its qualities are so extreme that it's hard for me to compare it or judge it fairly. It reminds me of Avery's The Beast Grand Cru and their Samael's ale.

If you like strong beers, you need to have 120 Minute IPA.

3.8/5  rDev -4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3

Bottled 12/18/06. It pours with authority, a hefty sound and reasonable head that quickly dissipates to an even, thin blanket of white. The aroma starts strong with a bitterness suggesting grapefruit, very crisp. Give it a little longer and there's a hint of sweetness, cherry perhaps. The appearance is a beautiful golden brown with plenty of floating goodies suspended evenly throughout. The first roll onto the tongue is startlingly thick and sweet. Tangy at the tip of the tongue and a heavy apricot rolls to the back of your mouth. This is strong stuff and proves itself quickly as it warms its way to your belly. By the third or fourth swallow you feel like your mouth has been converted to a new level of thinking and the dark cherry bitter-sweetness reveals itself with authority. This is obviously quality stuff but probably a bit too much ale for my palate. It stays tasteful at the front but overwhelms me a bit at the finish. I added a little mild cheddar cheese to this taste experience which was a nice pairing, but for me this definitely demands thoughtful sipping. It definitely holds its carbonation as ten minutes into this glass the head looks as good as it did a minute after the pour and the bubles still sizzle on the tongue. There is some degree of an oak overtone here as the flavor matures over the long haul. But this is still some strong stuff, I imagine somewhat an acquired taste for most. Taking it slowly I found that as it went closer to room temperature it seemed a bit tamer to the tongue, more manageable so to speak. I will need to try this again, hard for me to rate as a relative neophyte. But it is quite a taste sensation and a heavy brew to ponder! This won't be my favorite Dogfish brew but I have good faith that it is another quality offering for those fans of this variety. However you shake it, it is impressive. Thanks to DH for the experience!

4.25/5  rDev +7.3%

Bottle into pint glass. A: Very hazy amber/copper, moderate amount of head that retains well. S: After sampling the 90 minute IPA, I was expecting a more aggresive smell. Very sweet, a lot of hops but nothing overly aggressive. Pine, some citrus. T: Very, very, very sweet up front with the hops kicking in shortly after. Pretty well balanced for something this strong. A lot going on here: pine, citrus, dark fruit, earth. M: Thick, moderate carbonation. D: I've kept my eye out for this beer for a while now, I was expecting something very bitter and I got something very sweet. Don't get me wrong, it's a great beer, so good that I didn't mind paying $9.99 for a single 12oz bottle at Marty's Liquors in Allston (is it normally this expensive?). For obvious reasons, I think the 90 minute IPA is much more drinkable, but with a 21% abv it doesn't get much more drinkable than this.

4.17/5  rDev +5.3%

This one’s an orange-hued liquid, with a puffy head. It doesn’t look like a beverage of it’s strength…it’s somewhat unassuming from the outside. The aroma is reminiscent of fresh hops. There’s a little fruit as well, and lots of pine, grapefruit, flowers, and herbs. It’s a heady smell for sure. Surprisingly, the smell doesn’t broadcast the alcohol as I’d expect. The taste is sweet, yet balanced. There’s a lot of everything, but nothing is truly overwhelming. There’s a bit of warming, and you do feel the alcohol after a bit, but it’s taste is folded into the flavor of the beer. Fairly smooth, the beer is moderately heavy. There is no doubt that this beer is well made. It’s too strong for regular consumption, but it’s a great beer.

4.7/5  rDev +18.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Beer was bottled in December of last year. Thanks Nathan15! Pours a very nice dark copper/amber-ish color. Pretty. The aroma comes off as strong and hoppy with some alcohol aroma as well. The taste is, how do I describe, warm and alcohol-ish but tastes of caramel toffee in the back of my throat. Hops are somewhat subdued but the beer has a sweet, syrupy consistency to it. Definitely a sipping beer!

Overall, I enjoy it. It beats out the DIPA that I've tried from Magic Hat, which is the only other DIPA I've had anyway.

4.2/5  rDev +6.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3

I have reviewed this beer previously, but from a 750 ml. bottle. However, that was a while back, and according to the DFH rep at Max's last night, they have tweaked the recipe a bit the last few years (whatever that means). In any event, the beer I had last night was so superior to what I had out of the bottle last, they might as well have been two different beers.

The draft version pours a beautiful orange amber color, with decent foam retention and great lacing. The beer smells very sweet, but there is noticeable citrus from the hops as well. On the palate the beer is sweet, with a cornucopia of cherry, currents, raisans, pineapple and other tropical fruit. However, unlike the bottle version I had, all of sudden there is a huge wash of hops that pounds through the sweetness. Nevertheless, this beer is still viscuous, rich, smooth and long, but with refreshing citrus in the finish from the hops.

The abv. is certainly still noticeable, and there's no way you can drink a lot of this (who'd want to) or drink it too quickly. Definitely a sipper... and a beer where the abv. becomes increasingly noticeable as it warms and sits in the glass. Still, an excellent beer. Very, very impressive...

4.5/5  rDev +13.6%

I am in love, what can I say, hops juice, hoppy beer, hophead's beer, well there was enough hops in one sip to hops all of Coors Light's decade production and even if it was extreme, I did like alot. The bottle was bottled three months ago and considering the amount of hops and alcohol content, it was quite fresh.

Burgundy in color, with a foamy head that came out to say "hey" and dissapeared right away. Shy striking golden lights all around the beer, not bad.

Smell is well guess what: hoppy, did I mention hops a billion times so far. It is floral, piney, grassy, name it, I love it.

Taste is citroneus, malty, rich malted caramel flavours followed by a floral big rich hoppy flavours.

wonderfull bring, when the 240min IPA

4.32/5  rDev +9.1%

I don’t know how old this bottle is. There is an 05 imprinted into the glass, that’s the only thing that could shed some light on it.

A: Gorgeous toffee colored brew with a lot of haze. Head is quite small but present, a light beige color.

S: Extremely doughy with vanilla, butterscotch, old orange rinds and black pepper.

T: Begins with caramel, drambuie and toffee at the front of the tongue. Butterscotch/vanilla swagger across the palate next with super concentrated orange marmalade, honey and blood orange flavors. The flavors intensify after the swallow and linger for what seems like minutes. Alcohol vapors go shooting through the nasal cavity, bringing with them citrusy notes. Finishes with a bitterness that goes the distance and a marshmallow taste that won’t leave my mouth.

M: Full bodied and smooth with only a touch of syrup qualities.

D: This is a ginormous beer. They’ve avoided it being too syrupy, which is surprising for the alcohol content. Definitely worth checking out. I wish I had a guaranteed fresh bottle to sample.

4.72/5  rDev +19.2%

Thanks to JonMyers for the 2003 vintage, what a great birthday present!!!

Pours a cloudy amber, no lacing or obvious head, very little carbonation.

Smells sweet, very little hop aromas

Tastes amazing, not what I expected from an IPA at all. Sweet, smooth taste, very little noticable alcohol taste till it warms up a bit.

Sticky, sweet more like a liqueur than a beer mouthfeel.

I would not want to drink two or three of these, the high ABV would hurt anyone, but overall a great beer. One of those sipping on Sunday, cooking out beers to enjoy slowly. Being the hophead I am, I was a bit disappointed at the lack of over the top hops, which is what I have come to expect from American IPAs and IIPAs. Having not tried a fresher vintage, I have nothing to compare the 2003 vintage to, but this is an amazing beer....well done, Sam!

4.12/5  rDev +4%

A - Pure amber perfection in a glass. Make sure it is poured into the proper glassware, and take in the beauty. Lazy, hazy head that goes away as there is no significant carbonation. It sheds a brilliant sparkle of what I see as pure onto the table or couner around it.

S - with many IPA's there is not too much to pull off the top, however, this beauty from Sam and crew really gives you ALL senses with which to work. Without the first sip, or knowing what the ABV is, you can smell the density and gravity of this crafted ale.

T - where to begin? I will leave out all the adjectives, and tell you it's great. Take it slow, move it around to different parts of your mouth and tongue. That's where the differences lie. Go ahead, do the "aficionado" thing, just don't spit! 20% ABV and sweet. There are likely 1000 different hints to this, so go get some, and discover it.

M/D - man is this heavy, appropriately so. A significantly oily feel, it wants to go down easily, and can, but you know this ain't your grandpa's beer, so enjoy.

For anyone who likes anything over 50 IBU's, this is a must try. It is really out there for most people, I am sure. As the 60 Minutes is supposedly 60 IBU's and the 90 Minute, 90. One would think...but it is very smoothed out.

I am aging some 2005 vintage in my fridge still. I'll start opening one a year in a year or so. Counting the days...

3.31/5  rDev -16.4%

poured from bottle to tulip pint. murky red-orange color with a significant amount of head that dissipates with some lacing. the smell is a highlight-- floral hop edge and a lot of grapefruit. to say the taste is intense is quite an understatement. the hops so proudly boasted by the bottle (up front) are almost overshadowed by the taste of citrus juice concentrate. the sweetness is definitely overdone. ends in nice warming of alcohol. feels like syrup on the mouth and leaves a formidable after-taste. with the heavy sweetness paired with the alcohol content, one was quite enough for me. worth the experience, but not the cost.

4.6/5  rDev +16.2%

Received two bottles of the 120 in a trade with zutmin. Cellared one and tried the other out tonight. Expectations were met, if not exceeded. Nice orange hue with a half inch head. Smells of fresh hops, fruit, candy. Taste the same, with a nice grape-citrus finish. Though alcohol was apparent, the hops balanced it out. Definitely can tell this is the highest gravity beer I tried after the first half of glass. Easy enough to finish and really enjoyed every ounce. Not for everyone, but my palate is finally to the point to appreciate this. Another hit by Dogfish head.

4.42/5  rDev +11.6%

2004 Edition, cellared longer than anything else I've ever kept. After sampling this on tap in 2004, I picked up this lone 12 oz. bottle and decided to save it for a special occasion, the right moment.

Here's that special moment, and I am commemorating nothing at all.

Served in Dogfish Head's beautiful oversize brandy snifter at cellar temperature.

Appearance- Pours an almost perfectly clear whisky orange, carrying a small but sticky bone white head that winds up randomly decorating the inside edge of my glass. Alcohol content aside, this looks like it should be a fun ride.

Smell- Initially, the burst of air that wafted out of this bottle truly smelled of an English Old Ale... notes of leather and 19th century hardcover books, notably. Now, in the glass, we've got a fully integrated hop beast that has engaged its malts and just simply smells *enormous*. Fat and deep, and in wonderful balance aromatically.

Taste- All I can say is... *wow*... amazing... what a sublime example of what a fully mature, impeccably crafted beer could be. At first, the tongue receives a sweet, honey-like hop flavor that spreads gently across its surface. It then transforms to a chewy, rich, vintage quality that showcases a beautiful malt character along with the hops. Three + years of aging has all but eliminated any potential alcohol heat, as I swear this is drinking smoother than I ever would have expected. The finish goes on for days, the hop bitterness rich and complex, like an old wise man with a century's worth of wisdom.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability- Slick and smooth, easy down the throat and taking the obligatory back seat to a phenomenal flavor profile. This beer has provided an unforgettable tasting that I'm extremely thankful for, and I must give Andy's Corner Bar in Bogota another round of applause for having this on tap three years ago where I made the decision to grab one for the road. And DFH, way to go... this one certainly stood the test of time.

4.15/5  rDev +4.8%

Bottled 12/18/05

Wow, the drinkability really surprised me here. It was a sipper, but a fine one for the alcohol. I guess its had some time to mellow, but still. The boozey flavors were very low with estery malts and and fruit punch hops flavor. I remarked to a friend that it tasted like "hops candy." Its not the richest or most complex beer, but its good and its different.

4.48/5  rDev +13.1%

Appearance: Dark golden brown with a small amount of head.

Smell: Caramel and malty

Taste: Delicious!! This definately hit the spot. Think and syrappy and even hoppy.

Mouthfeel: Tons of flavor hitting every part of the mouth.

Drinkability: A little hard to drink which is why you have to sip it.

I know that a lot of people say that this beer is overkill, but i wish that they would make a 150 min IPA because I think that it was a little bit too easy to drink!

3.25/5  rDev -17.9%

Poured from the brown glass 12 oz bottle into my straight sided tumbler. Appearance is a cloudy medium brown with good initial head receding into a faint one. Smell is of citrus mainly, with a hop undertone. Taste is of raisins and clove, hops and citrus with a strong hop finish. Mouthfeel is quite complex, more so than most beers out there. Drinkability is limited, one would do most people.
Overall, a bit over the top in my opinion.

Just a thought,