120 Minute IPA | Dogfish Head Craft Brewery

3.99/5  rDev -2.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

4.12/5  rDev +0.2%

4.03/5  rDev -1.9%

I didn't have internet when I tried this beer, so this is written some time afterward. I remember that I liked it. I don't remember much after that. Nice flavor, not much bitterness & not much alcohol flavor with it's 19.something %. It did have a delayed stomach burn though. I'll have to try another for a more accurate review.

4.08/5  rDev -0.7%

4.1/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

4.85/5  rDev +18%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

12oz bottle poured into a snifter. No clue the bottle date or ABV. So I'll start this review off by saying I'm reviewing this more as a barleywine than a IPA. Onward!

Pours a dark amber color with less than a finger head that lingers on the ring of the glass. No lacing.

Smell is huge plum, toffee, brown sugar, glazed apple, pumpkin spice, and a vanilla chai. Smells like fall.

Taste is everything I want. A whisky soaked plum and apple, cinnamon, molasses, brown sugar, bitter dark fruit.

Feel is unreal. Thick and chewy likea bowl of bourbon plum oatmeal. Very little carbonation, drinks more like a bourbon or some other liquor.

Overall this is almost a perfect beer for me. I love barrel aged brews and damn it if this doesn't seem like a BA barleywine. But it's an IPA. I dunno. I'm buzzin. This sucker don't mess around! The real deal right here and a must have for any beer enthusiast.

4.19/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

I started drinking craft beer 4 1/2 years ago and in my part of the country this is the first time it has been available in this area since that time. The girl who owns the craft beer bar/store/resturant said she has not seen it in this area in 5 years.
I am in the Charleston South Carolina area so craft beer is a big market. We are home to the world renowned Charleston Beer exchange. We have a multitude of craft beer only bars, craft beer stores and basically craft beer everywhere. So there is a lot of built in hype. I passed in having it on tap since they would limit me to one 10 ounce pour and opted for the bottle. There was no date on the bottle, but it looked new just based on the label (crisp fresh looking paper) but I have no idea when it was brewed. Anyway I am a huge IPA fan and favorably view Dogfish head products. The beer poured nicely with a very solid (can not see thru amber color). This just looked like it was full body. A nice small head and quality lacing on the glass during consumption.
It is a vert different tasting IPA. Not hoppy, just very different and complex flavors, but it still tasted like an IPA to me more than anything else others have claimed. Definitely a most different IPA from anything else I tasted before. Can feel and taste the alcohol almost to a fault.
Maybe the hype and not having this beer built my expectations up too much. I was a little disappointed in the taste, but not much and my disappointment may stem from lack of availibity (you always want what you can't get) . I imagined the beer of beers. Truth be told though it is a damn good tasting beer and you feel it trust me. Not up there with some of my all time favorites, but a beer I would drink again. I recommend people try it, you should enjoy it and yes you will feel the effects of the ABV. However, the price and lack of availability would not bring me charging back to it. Hey I don't due the fancy reviews, I taste something and I like it or not. Glad to have tried it. Not bad at all.

4.24/5  rDev +3.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

4.46/5  rDev +8.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Decanted from a 12 oz (355 ml) bottle into a conical pint glass; no production data, but appears to be the latest vintage.
A: Pours a very hazy, amber-orange with clearing evident throughout. Leaves a half inch foamy head with modest retention, but strong lacing.
S: Aromas of caramel, lemon, peach, cocoa, and pine. Complex and enjoyable.
T: Sweet. Blood orange taste really struck me initially, but complex with flavors of caramel, sherry, and mead very evident. Strong, but exceptionally well balanced bitterness.
M: Full bodied with excellent carbonation. Boozy, but I mean that in a good way.
O: Color me impressed. Drinking this early clearly had its advantages based on the other comments (I refrained from reading them until I was done tasting). My pour was characterized by strong carbonation, head formation, and lacing, which evidently is not the case after aging. Not that aging will not add to the complexity. That said, even in its youth, this was a complex and really enjoyable example of the American DIPA style. Yes, it is at the level of a barley wine, so consider sharing it with a friend. Let me suggest, he or she will be a good one afterwards if they have any appreciation for beer.

3.89/5  rDev -5.4%

This is a 2014 vintage, so I'm thinking this one is in barleywine territory by now. But this was a gift from my bro @jzeilinger so I'm gonna give this one a shot.

Appearance: Dark and murky brown with no head to speak of.

Aroma: Toffee and burnt sugar. Mainly a dank smelling beer. I am NOT a fan of the aroma at all. It just smells...old. Hopefully the taste makes up for it.

Taste/Mouthfeel: First impression its like chewing on a handful of raisins and then a brown sugar and maple sweetness comes up and is all evened out with a huge hit of bitter hops. A boozy beer for sure, but the sweetness and bitterness don't let the alcohol come through at all.

Overall: I definitely think this is a barleywine and not an IPA, but of course with 3 years in this it's going to be well beyond an semblance on an IPA. A well crafted beer, however not one I would want to drink again alone, 6 oz. would be more than enough.

4.58/5  rDev +11.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Age unknown bottles we're brought out of storage at a local shop and the labels had begun deteriorating.
As others have said this is definitely more a barley wine than a beer. The taste was almost sickeningly sweet of floral, honey or maybe agave and as others have said possibly raisin?
The smell was comparable to fresh clover honey and the mouth feel even possessed a sweet stickiness.
Very expensive but well worth buying.

4.17/5  rDev +1.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

3.25/5  rDev -20.9%

3.96/5  rDev -3.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Okay, I'm bitter (pun maybe intended). If you buy one of these at Dogfish, they limit you to one more drink. And I'm sorry, but it's not that much of a kick in the head. It's an average pinot with cherry and barley.

There's hype. I get the hype. But it's wine beer. Wine beer disappoints both categories. Thus beer is interesting, which is not a synonym for great. But that's the measure it's trying to live up to.

4.18/5  rDev +1.7%

This a beer that needs to be properly aged at least 2 years, and in my experience begins to peak sometime before year 7. It's just too hot fresh. I've had it 10 years old at the brewpub a couple of times and it's pretty tasty at 10, too. (Dogfish seems to wind down their stash of each beer at 10 years.)
Oh, one other thing. If you go into this beer expecting an IPA you're going to be sorely disappointed. 120 Minute is un-beerlike let alone un-IPAlike, so I would be extremely open-minded since it'll surely be different from anything you've had before. If you're drinking it after a few years on it you'll want a person to share a bottle with since the flavors are pretty overwhelming if you're going it alone. Not a beer for wimps!

IMHO, this isn't an IIPA, it's a barleywine...a very good barleywine!! Full of boozey, hoppy, sweet goodness. Only had one, as I came across it while on vacation to Cali and didn't have the time for a four-pack (I know...weak excuse). I hope to get another chance to review this, but thanks to NC's ridiculous law restricting .abv, I don't know when that may be.

3.55/5  rDev -13.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

3.96/5  rDev -3.6%

2014 bottle poured into a small snifter
A - Opaque dark straw color, carbonation struggles through the body top side creating a small ring of evidence
S - Warm leather, raisin, burnt sugar and toffee, alcohol rises through it all
T - Big flavors of malts then in come the hops, some old tropical fruit notes everything exaggerated.
M - Heavy and slick in body, the feel is oily and rich with barley wine qualities to it.
O - Glad this had a few years on it, still on a good trajectory, rich experience to say the least.

3.94/5  rDev -4.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

4.88/5  rDev +18.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

4.12/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

4.33/5  rDev +5.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

4.05/5  rDev -1.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

2014 tasting in August 2017. While this benefited from aging greatly, I will wait a few more years on my next one. So much more barleywine than "IPA". Nose is boozy, raisins, maybe a touch of maple. Tastes more like a quad: molasses and raisins with a decently rounded mouthfeel. That gives way to a light alcohol burnt and thinness that make me wonders how long this should be aged? It's boldness adds to the mouthfeel, but at the same time, it all feels like a bit too much at this point. It, lingers... 90/4's (at best) feels right for this 3 year old.

120 Minute IPA from Dogfish Head Craft Brewery