120 Minute IPA | Dogfish Head Craft Brewery

ABV varies from 15-20%.

Added by frank4sail on 03-24-2003

Reviews: 2,272 | Ratings: 8,052
4.29/5  rDev +8.1%

What a fascinating beer...

Out of the bottle and into the cup it looks like a "normal" beer. Tawny, copper, a slight head, slightly off-white.

Then the smell hits you. Alcohol is tied with vanilla as the dominant themes, but many more exist on a smaller scale. Really excellent nose. Peach, plum, white chocolate... Mesmerizing.

The taste is great. Slightly unbalanced and quite alcoholic, but not in a bad way. In fact, I was surprised by how much I liked the taste. The bottle I had was brewed recently, so perhaps in a few years (120 Minute IPA will be the drink of choice for all discriminating cockroaches once we're done with these dark ages) the taste will sort itself out a bit more.

The mouthfeel, or rather the finish, is what really excited me. The is beer lingers longer than any I have ever drank. In fact, the warm alcohol slides down your throat slower than bourbon. Unbelievable the length which this guy lingered. Unreal. Try it, just for that alone.

I was also surprised at just how drinkable and really good 120 Minute is. I could easily see knocking off a sixpack and then melting into the floor.

4.57/5  rDev +15.1%

I love my friends& coworkers -- a former DFH employee moves away and finds a case of beer. Remembering my repeatedly yammering on about how much I enjoyed DFH beers, she hands it off to me. 6 120s, 6 60s, and a handful of Punkins. Not sure how long the 120s aged, but they're the caution/exclamation point caps.

A: Poured from the bottle into my Duvel Tulip. A 1-finger head with a fair amount of staying power leaves a very sticky lacing. Held up to the light it's a deep orange/brown with a bit of a ruby hint in the background.

S: On top of a base of a malty carmel, there's a strong, but not overpowering, hops smell of orange and other citrus.

T: Ahh, here we've got it... Starts with a bit of that carmely malt, but that's just a palate to paint the tasty hops flavors on top. The hops open with that citrus that you smelled. It's followed with a piney hops, but what's interesting is the way the flavors blend. It doesn't feel like two separate tastes, but they move into each other. The bitterness isn't overwhelming, but it fairly well balanced.

How can a beer this strong not have too much alcohol burn? It's definitely alchoholic, and you can taste it, but it doesn't kill the flavor, just encourages you to savor it like a nice bourbon.

M: This might be the closest thing to a weakness for this beer. It's still good, the alchohol makes itself known through the mouthfeel. It's a bit heavy, but it coats the mouth well. It's not strongly carbonated, but in the middle of the taste, tied with the piney hoppiness you feel like you're missing a bit.

D: This is a toughie to judge on drinkability. Compared with your average IPA, this isn't refreshing or exceptionally drinkable, but with the wonderful flavor, and especially with the high alcohol content, it's remarkably easy to drink. It drinks more like a good barley wine, so that's what I'll judge it on here, in which case, it's exceptionally easy to drink.

Overall -- I love this beer. It's the beer that I compare great beer with, but with all the great beer in the world, what do you need to pay $9.00 for a 12oz bottle for. Still I'll save the remainders and see what happens in a few years.

--Thanks Sondra!!!

3.27/5  rDev -17.6%

12 oz bottle - 2011

A - opaque amber, very little head, almost none

S - citrusy hops, some alcohol, sweetness (honey?), the hops aren't as strong as what I'd expect, only a little alcohol considering the strength

T - once again underwhelmed by the hops, the alcohol comes through much stronger here (not for 18%+ though), its sweet and malty more than anything

M - syrupy with a gentle carbonation

O - I guess I was expecting more of a super-duper IIPA and thats not what it is, its really sweet where I was looking for really bitter, its not a bad brew and its very interesting, I'm not looking for another though, at least not for a while...

3.4/5  rDev -14.4%

Absolutely, Positively, THE most hoppy beer I've ever had by far. This makes it an almost impossibly hard beer to get through, as the hop character overpowers every other characteristic. If you're looking to add a notch to your IPA belt, go for it. But if you just want a good beer, go elsewhere.

4.55/5  rDev +14.6%

I've heard about this beer for years. It is obviously not available in the Carolinas or anywhere close as far as I know. I finally got around to obtaining two 120s through a beer trade about two weeks ago. I plan on aging one but I've been waiting for the right time to drink the other, since it is so hard to for me to come by. Here we go...

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a snifter. Bottled on date reads 07/07/08. I poured this just above refrigerator temperature, wanting to experience the full range of flavors as it warmed.

Poured the whole bottle aggressively into the snifter. To my surprise, a small amount of head developed. It didn't stick around for long, as would be expected. Color is a hazy ruby amber.

Strong smell of sweet currants and alcohol. No hop character comes thorough in the aroma.

First sip has a heavy presence of alcohol, along with a brown sugary sweetness. The warming feel of the alcohol is something I've never quite experienced in a beer. The flavor is almost too complex to describe. The complexities keep changing as the beer warms. Sweet fruits, continue to dominate the flavors. It is definitely not the hop bomb I would have expected. The hops remain largely unnoticeable until it reaches room temperature. It tastes more a ruby port more than it does a IIPA.

A nice amount of carbonation keeps it from becoming to syrupy or chewy. The lasting flavor is amazing.

I can't believe I am saying this but it is relatively drinkable. I mean, it's not something to have two of, but it is great for sipping.

4.32/5  rDev +8.8%

Date on Bottle is 10-5-09

Pours an amber burnt orange with a thing head that dissipates quickly, leaving some great lacing along the side through the whole beer experience. Alot of fragrance in the nose, caught some hop oil as well as a sweet syrupy smell. Mouthfeel is sticky and full, coats the mouth and stays around. Taste is serious! alot of carmel and raisions maybe. I bought this beer over a year ago, and am very pleased with how it has changed. I have six more of these in my cellar and am looking forward to seeing how much better they get.

3.75/5  rDev -5.5%

Poured into snifter from 12oz bottle. Bottled on date: 9/19/11

Appearance: Pretty amber color. Decent amount of lacing on the sides of the glass. Finger-thick, off-white head.

Smells: The aroma is really good, regardless of how much alcohol I detected. I can tell it's going to be a boozy beer. I get hints of agave nectar, apple juice, caramel, and the slightest bit of hops. The malts definitely overpower the hops though.

Taste: Ridiculously sweet. At first I didn't even really detect the hops. The bitterness in the finish is the only indication I get that the beer was hopped. There is definitely alcohol in the finish too.

Mouthfeel: Creamy in my opinion. A little on the thick side actually. Little to no carbonation, and I wish there was more. I need that refreshing feeling. This beer does the opposite, and the warmth of the alcohol settles in your throat for a while after sipping. Probably a better idea to have had this beer on a cold night.

Overall: It's an interesting beer. I like its taste, but at the same time I don't because this isn't what I feel a Double IPA should taste like. I miss the hoppiness. Where's the citrusy hops? I don't particularly like sweet IPA's, but I can't deny that this is still a good beer. Not my favorite Double IPA, yet I can't stop sipping it. I have another one that I'll age for at least a year, which is something I look forward to.

Pours a slightly cloudy amber color, medium thin head of tiny white bubbles, seems to have decent legs and good lacing though. Aroma is a piney citrusy hoppy punch in the nose. Taste is quite sweet, almost to the point of cloying, with a syrupy heavy mouth feel. The aftertaste is still quite sweet with just a touch of pineapple to offset. The sweetness masks the alcohol incredibly well.

3.3/5  rDev -16.9%

So, this beer is a monster, 20% ABV. Drank a 750 ml I recieved for my birthday (with no idea of its strength) during a movie (Kafka's The Trial) and standing up was quite the chore...Here it is in it's new incarnation as a 12 oz. bottle.

Pours a hazy orange blond, with a fluffy barely-off-white (yellowish) head, really healthy looking, leaving nice trails. The head reemerges on swirling the glass. Smells very heady (astringent), floral hops, hop resin and sweet alcohol.

Tastes syrupy sweet to start, beyond malty sweetness, hop resin and candy or sugar sweetness. Theres a saturated hop bitterness...then, whoa, the alcohol really takes over (both on the tongue, and in the brain). I don't even taste hops anymore, and being an I.P.A., I have to say "???" Even with swirling in the mouth, the hops still take a backseat to the sweetness and heavy alcohol. A burley barleywine, I say, with more than it's share of sweetness.

Mouthfeel is syrupy, sticky, and really lasts on the palate. Please note that any beer after this is water.. save it for a night cap. Drink slowly.

Drinkability, well I don't know what to say, probably best served (as it was at AOBF) in 4 oz. increments.

Realistically, this beer might be too much, maybe it'll mellow a bit with age (says 'Ages Well' on the label). I love DFH, but the 90 minute IPA and the Olde School (barleywine) both do different aspects of this beer, IMO, better than the 120 Minute does itself.

3.97/5  rDev 0%

It pours a cloudy orange-yellow with a small off-white head.

The smell is dominated by pine and lemon. Medicinal. There's plenty of strange maltiness which is a bit tough to pinpoint: orange syrup?

Again, pine and orange on the palate. Very sweet, rich, and hardly bitter at all - at least for a 120 minute. Very different than any other beer I've had. The alcohol is exceptionally well hidden.

The feel is smooth and mouth-coating, and a bit cloying. The carbonation is nice - light and effervescent which this beer need.

This is dramatically more drinkable than expected. But, to be real, it is a 100% sipper, with consequences when under pressure to drink too fast. I was in a bit of a rush to make my dinner reservations, and this beer is tough to drink at anything faster than a slow sip.

The exception already noted, this beer gets better and better further through the bottle. I get the impression on both the nose and palate that the hops used are a little scattered and unfocused. It creates an experience which is a bit all over the place and extremely unclean. I like my hoppy beers to be clean (thus my preference for West Coast IPAs). This beer is well balanced, even fresh; and it is easy to see how this beer would change with cellar time. I'd like to try that at some point, and I do wish this were more available for me.

3.06/5  rDev -22.9%

love everything that Dogfish does but this is a bit of a side show, isn't it? Cloudy and orange like pumkin water. no head but who expected one? Smells like rubbing alcohol. I'm not looking forward to this but once I take a pull, I'm pleasantly surprised. Sweet, yes. Boozy, yes but pretty tasty. Drinkable? Not unless I want to sleep here with my forehead on the bar.

This is a case where the grading criteria is seriously distorting my ability to tell you how I feel about this beer. Is is supposed to be drinkable? Could it smell or taste anything but boozy at 20%? It's an amazing substitute for a cordial but ...

2012 vintage poured into a tulip.
Appearance: Clear sunset golden orange. Fingers worth of an off white head. Epic alcohol legs and tons of lacing.

Smell: Pineapple, mango, peach, sweet orange, grapefruit, Crème brûlée and sweet malt.

Taste: Really follows the nose. Explosion of fruits, mango, peach, nectarine, orange, pineapple, grapefruit, toffee. Sweet malt provides a perfect counterbalance to the assault of hops.

Mouth Feel: Full and viscous without being cloying. Nice amount of carbonation carries it through the palate.

Overall: This for me is the perfect IPA. Extreme hops, extreme malt and incredibly balanced.

4.13/5  rDev +4%

I give this probably a higher rating than it should have for it's uniqueness and ability to mask the ABV!

Pours like a hazy iced tea with a white head that hung around for longer than i expected with the ABV.

Smell is lacking of the hops mentioned on the label. more orange and fig than of a hoppy IPA.

Taste... WOW and WTF? was not expecting it to taste like this at all! Overly sweet and lacking the bitterness i was expecting fro the hophead reference on the label. Where's the hops? hidden behind the over powering sugar and alcohol flavor that's where.

Overall not a good beer for it's classification but a well designed beer and extremely unique. a good one to share with your buddies. Not gonna be a regular pick up for me.

3.63/5  rDev -8.6%

I am going on the assumption that I tried this for much the same reason others have: dry hopped for a month?! crazy high abv?! Dogfish Head?!I consider 60 minute to be a session beer, and 90 min to be a solid hour long sipper, and I imagined this would be like 90 minute, but with a flavor wallop. Instead, it just seemed like they poured some booze into a perfectly good 90 min. Sure this was a bit more complex and layered, but ultimately, I would pick the 90 min every time in the future, especially considering one 120 bottle costs the same as a 4-pack of 90.

Appearance: Copper-orange, with no head or lacework. Looks like my latest batch of homebrew in that respect.

Smell: Fantastic bouquet. The hops are, oddly, not as assertively floral as I would have anticipated. But they're definitely present in a piney, citrusy way. Strong malt aroma as well. Very sweet, almost like brownie dough. Rum and butter notes as well. Quite possibly one of the best *smelling* beers I've ever had.

Taste: Oh my freakin' gawd. Absolutely fantastic flavor. I think I have a new favorite beer. Sweet, malty beginning, very much like a barleywine. Hints of molasses and toffee in the foreground. Mid-palate sees an explosion of ale fruity-ness, with peaches, currants, and chocolate. The finish lingers with buttery rum notes, also some vanilla. The alcohol is well-hidden and doesn't leave a heavy burn.

Mouthfeel: Outstanding. Very small-bead carbonation. Just enough carbonation to give it texture and make it interesting.

Drinkability: This beer is dangerously, deceptively drinkable. It doesn't feel at all like a 40 proof beer. You won't be drinking more than two or MAYBE three of these in a sitting, but individually they drink like lesser beers. You'll have it drained before you know it, and it'll catch up with you.

3.53/5  rDev -11.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Had this back in 2009 on tap and loved it, when I knew very little about beer. Was excited to try the new version on draft too. On tap at the Meddlesome Moth, served in a wine glass. From notes:

A - almost no head, pretty normal for a high alcohol beer. A few patches stick around while you're drinking. Clear golden orange color. I remember the last version being a fair amount darker than this one.

S - hops first and foremost, for sure. Citrus and lots of booze. Honestly, aroma is more muted than I'd have hoped. Smells a lot more like a DIPA than the one from a couple years back, though.

T - Piney hops and alcohol. Again, more like a DIPA than the previous style. It isn't my favorite style, so a bit of a bummer, but more like the style, so can't ding it for personal preference. However, the taste wasn't that complex. Some citrus, then some caramel/vanilla in the background, but the hops and booze dominate so much that it's not that enjoyable.

M - so very viscous, boozy, and heavy, like drinking liquor. Not that I didn't expect that. A lot of carbonation, considering what it is. I would have preferred a little less.

D/O - sip, sip, sip. I do not want to drink the 2011 version again anytime soon. That thing needs some age on it. Got a bottle a few months ago and plan to hold on to it for at least a couple of years. Hopefully the hops will mellow out and then other aromas and flavors will come out. Hope it becomes something more like the beer I had a couple of years ago.

3.87/5  rDev -2.5%

12 oz bottle poured into snifter glass

A: A hazy golden-amber color with almost no head and no lacing, but due to the alcohol content I was kind of expecting this

S: A very sweet maltiness, with some citrusy/piney hops and alcohol. Kind of smells like Pine-sol, but in a sort of pleasant way. This has a very strong aroma

T: Sweetness, tastes of honey and raisins, along with a grapefruit/pine hop flavor. The hops are not as prevalant as expected, this is kind of odd for an IPA, I was expecting more as far as bitterness, but this is a much sweeter beer. Also quite a bit of an alcohol aftertaste, probably due to the 18% abv of this monster of a beer.

M: A very full mouthfeel, with a bit of stickiness that lingers in the mouth after swallowing because of the sweetness. Also, a bit of alcohol warmth that lingers.

D: This is definitely a sipping beer. This is quite a bit of a challenge to finish, but its quite enjoyable. I definitely could not drink more than one of these

Overall, this is a good beer, but it is not easy to drink, and its a lot sweeter than I would expect for an IPA. I may pick this up again, but I'm not really sure

4.16/5  rDev +4.8%

2011 version on-tap, served in a tulip glass.

Appearance- Pale golden yellow with a small, frothy straw colored head. Little carbonation and lightly active bubbles rising slowly to the top.

Smell - Very clean, brisk, hoppy smell. Big plant-like aroma, earthy pine and slight straw. Hops dominate the aroma, creating imagery of endless forests of hop vines.

Taste- Extremely flavorful and much sweeter than expected. Big malts give flavors of sweet biscuit and faint honey. The mondo amount of hops create an active, resinous phenomenon in my mouth, with notes of big earthy pine and citrus. It's like biting into a hop. Definitely boozy, and the warming effects of the alcohol can be felt quickly. I like the bigness and balance- enormously sweet malts meet enormously bitter hops meet enormous alcohol.

Mouthfeel- Syrupy, thick and slightly oily. Very full-bodied, but still refreshing.

Overall- Rich, big and bold. Oddly drinkable despite such massive characteristics. This beer is so humongous it's like an "IPA concentrate" of sorts. All other IPAs are made from diluted Dogfish Head 120. A bit pricey, but certainly worth the try.

3.75/5  rDev -5.5%

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a snifter. Thought I had struck oil when I found a store with two bottles of this left in stock. Probably wont buy it again unless I can find it on tap just to try it that way. Not a bad brew, just not worth a dollar an ounce when the DFH 90 is so good.

A- Orange/copper look with a nice head. Poured up just like a 90-minute but with a more yellow tint to the foam.

S- Strong hop scent with a lot of malt in there for some reason. Didnt expect all the malt.

T- Very malty backbone not typical of an imperial IPA, yet the hops burst on the scene just it time to remind you they are there. Could be hoppier and I would be happier. The finish is very long and gets more boozy at the end. Definite taste of caramel and citrus.

M- Super smooth with very little carb bite. A lot like the Burton Baton from DFH.

O- Fun thing to try once, but not something I will drive 50 miles to seek out again. No regrets about trying this one, but no plans to do so again.

3.98/5  rDev +0.3%

This beer poured a very nice, hazy amber from the bottle. It left little head and what little there was dispersed pretty rapidly.

Smell is very strong on hops. Like being in a field of hops with the smell of hops being piped in from some other hops field. Of course with hops there's a little pine scent to it at well.

Wow, so ok, not what I expected at all. As it turns out this is a pretty sweet beer. Not like any other IPA I've ever had. It gets an 'A' for uniqueness, but a 'B-' for the style. Again, strong on hops flavor, minus the bitterness. Really, it's like sweet hops, it's hard to distinguish much else.

Mouthfeel was a bit of a let down as well. There's a reasonable amount of carbonation, but the beer still feels like is a bit too syrupy for an IPA.

Overall this is a reasonably drinkable beer, and at 21% abv, one or two of these and you're down anyway. I'd drink it again for sure.

4.17/5  rDev +5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance - A cloudy amber, with deep reds hidden inside. Lots of bubbles, settling into a one inch head. Sticks to the side of the glass. A good sign.

Smell - Wow! Never smelled these smells before! A heavy dose of flowers, with shavings of orange peel thrown in. There is a strong hops smell, probably waiting in the taste, is everpresent in the background.

Taste - A rush of flavors. It's surprising how much flavor can be pushed into one bottle. But then I remember I did pay about $8.50 for this one bottle, retail. The high alcohol quotient is not present in the taste, but you know it's there.

Drinkability - This is so rich, so flavor-filled I don't think I can drink more than one. But perhaps thats the point. One is all it takes!

Notes: In my IPA circles this beer is legendary. The 90-minute style has its points. But Wow this 120-minute version will knock your socks off! But only just one!

4.42/5  rDev +11.3%

Bottle from the latest release (my 4th try). Saving one for next year.

12 oz bottle poured into a glass.

A: A clear dark orange. Almost poured like a solid liqueur. Pretty much headless.

S: Smelled like cognac to me, which I thought was incredible. Fruits like apples, raisins, orange, apricot. Something sweet and syrupy like maple as well.

T: So much flavor in this beer. Has a huge pop, especially with the fruits and sweetness. Tastes like a cognac too. Malty and hoppy but not boozy.

M: Incredibly smooth and thick. Chewy as well.

Overall: It's a sipping beer, and it's something to enjoy over a period of time. Definitely not something you can pound at a bar. This definitely lived up to the expectations. My first try left me a bit disappointed and then I had it on tap and was floored. Had it two more times in the bottle and it was incredible because it was a little bit older.

3.9/5  rDev -1.8%

i finally cracked this one open last night and poured it into my duvel tulip. It had a nice golden color with a 1\2 in white head that left some lacing on the side of the glass. As soon as you cracked open the bottle you immediatley smell the hops with the alcohol. This becomes even more evident once you pour it into the glass. the first thing that came to my palate was hops,hops, and more hops and then take a guess what was next...the alcohol..once this beer warms it becomes a nice sipper that i might just sit back and relax with. Be careful who you let sample this because if they don't know what's coming it may just destroy them

3.95/5  rDev -0.5%

tap to snifter.

A: Amber, minimal head.

S: Caramel, fruit, booze.

T: Caramel, syrup, booze.

F: Super smooth.

D: A great beer to end a long, hard day of work with. Especially as it gets cold. Really enjoyable. I wish I could put it on some pancakes.

3.01/5  rDev -24.2%

On tap at Toronado, San Diego.

Like the 90 minute, the 120 minute is a bit too sweet for me. I was simply pummeled by candied fruit and punched in the mouth by all of the sugary malt.

If these kind of IPA's are your thing, you'll love it. If you like floral/tropical IPAS (Citra, Pliny, Sculpin) or hoppy/piney IPAs this one is not for you.

Glad I got to try it, but I'm moving on. It was funny to see everyone at Toronado drinking the same thing.

120 Minute IPA from Dogfish Head Craft Brewery