120 Minute IPA | Dogfish Head Craft Brewery

ABV varies from 15-20%.

Added by frank4sail on 03-24-2003

Reviews: 2,245 | Ratings: 7,973
4.42/5  rDev +11.6%

Bottle from the latest release (my 4th try). Saving one for next year.

12 oz bottle poured into a glass.

A: A clear dark orange. Almost poured like a solid liqueur. Pretty much headless.

S: Smelled like cognac to me, which I thought was incredible. Fruits like apples, raisins, orange, apricot. Something sweet and syrupy like maple as well.

T: So much flavor in this beer. Has a huge pop, especially with the fruits and sweetness. Tastes like a cognac too. Malty and hoppy but not boozy.

M: Incredibly smooth and thick. Chewy as well.

Overall: It's a sipping beer, and it's something to enjoy over a period of time. Definitely not something you can pound at a bar. This definitely lived up to the expectations. My first try left me a bit disappointed and then I had it on tap and was floored. Had it two more times in the bottle and it was incredible because it was a little bit older.

3.9/5  rDev -1.5%

i finally cracked this one open last night and poured it into my duvel tulip. It had a nice golden color with a 1\2 in white head that left some lacing on the side of the glass. As soon as you cracked open the bottle you immediatley smell the hops with the alcohol. This becomes even more evident once you pour it into the glass. the first thing that came to my palate was hops,hops, and more hops and then take a guess what was next...the alcohol..once this beer warms it becomes a nice sipper that i might just sit back and relax with. Be careful who you let sample this because if they don't know what's coming it may just destroy them

4.17/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance - A cloudy amber, with deep reds hidden inside. Lots of bubbles, settling into a one inch head. Sticks to the side of the glass. A good sign.

Smell - Wow! Never smelled these smells before! A heavy dose of flowers, with shavings of orange peel thrown in. There is a strong hops smell, probably waiting in the taste, is everpresent in the background.

Taste - A rush of flavors. It's surprising how much flavor can be pushed into one bottle. But then I remember I did pay about $8.50 for this one bottle, retail. The high alcohol quotient is not present in the taste, but you know it's there.

Drinkability - This is so rich, so flavor-filled I don't think I can drink more than one. But perhaps thats the point. One is all it takes!

Notes: In my IPA circles this beer is legendary. The 90-minute style has its points. But Wow this 120-minute version will knock your socks off! But only just one!

3.95/5  rDev -0.3%

tap to snifter.

A: Amber, minimal head.

S: Caramel, fruit, booze.

T: Caramel, syrup, booze.

F: Super smooth.

D: A great beer to end a long, hard day of work with. Especially as it gets cold. Really enjoyable. I wish I could put it on some pancakes.

3.01/5  rDev -24%

On tap at Toronado, San Diego.

Like the 90 minute, the 120 minute is a bit too sweet for me. I was simply pummeled by candied fruit and punched in the mouth by all of the sugary malt.

If these kind of IPA's are your thing, you'll love it. If you like floral/tropical IPAS (Citra, Pliny, Sculpin) or hoppy/piney IPAs this one is not for you.

Glad I got to try it, but I'm moving on. It was funny to see everyone at Toronado drinking the same thing.

2.26/5  rDev -42.9%

After trying the 60 Minute and the even better 90 Minute I was intrigued by this beer. To be honest, I was disappointed. The beer is way too sweet for an IPA in my opinion. The alcohol and malts completely overpower any of the hops. It may have lots of hops but the balance is definitely not there. Perhaps it would taste better after aging for years as the bottle suggests, but I'd rather spend my money on something that is drinkable now in not in ten years.

4.65/5  rDev +17.4%

Appearance: Caramel tawny brown color with a cappuccino foam head that is nicely persistent. very opaque.

Aroma: Huge grapefruit and resiny hop aroma. A little malted grain in background with some alcohol notes that are oh so tempting. very sweet and inviting but not overwhelmingly complex. A little blackberry reveals itself halfway through.

Taste: Sweet mother of god! This is ambrosia. Very fruity- grapefruit mixed with honey and a great malty flavor that balances everything out. Perfectly balanced and the best IPA I have ever tasted. There is a little blackberry in there, too.

Mouthfeel: Oh so perfect. Thick and meaty, but dry enough not to be too cloying. Nice moderated carbonation tickles the tongue and throat.

Drinkability: Very heavy. I would not have more than one of these in a sitting. It also packs a pretty heavy punch so I wouldn't want any more anyway.

Notes: This is one powerful IPA but it is most definitely one that I will revisit again and again. Just excellent.

3.97/5  rDev +0.3%

Big IPA fan as well as huge DFH fan, so trying the 120 was a must. But.. holy crap this thing is intense.

Poured from a 12oz bottle (purcahsed at a Whole Foods of all places for about $12 I believe) into a goblet. First impression, just watching it pour - was that the stuff has the consistency of syrup. I knew going into it that at 21% this was going to be in a league of its own and nothing like DFH's other IPA's, and that was a severe understatement.

No doubt DFH set out to create the most extreme IPA they could, and I guess you could say it's a success in that regard.

After pouring, I took a whiff and it's a little hard to describe. It actually smells thick and syrupy -- with the hops right in your face. There's a fruity/floral smell mixed with the hops, but the hops hit you right away -- and oddly, it actually smells syrupy if that makes any sense.

The taste is like no other beer I've ever tried. If I didn't know it was an iteration of an IPA, I probably wouldn't have guessed that it was. If you're thinking -- well, I like theiri 60 min, and the 90 is good too -- well know that this thing bears little resemblance to either of those.

Needless to say, drinkability is hindered by the abv%, one bottle of this is something you'd want to enjoy slowly. The taste grows on you substantially from the first sip to the last.

If you call yourself a hophead, give it a try - at least once.

4.35/5  rDev +9.8%

Low carbonation and thin head. Strong alcohol tastes as well as background hops. Good beer but not sure you can't get the same impacts, flavors, ABV by drinking barleywines. Hard to live up to the hype. Clearly a slow sipping beer important to serve at the proper temperature to allow the flavors to be released.

3.47/5  rDev -12.4%
look: 5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

12 oz bottle poured into snifter. This is relatively fresh 120 minute I think?, and not aged by me. Marked "2012K 23:43". 18% ABV.

Appearance: Fluffy off-white head. Pours a semi-clear golden orange color.

Aroma: A big hit of malty sweetness to my nose. A light fruity ester combined with a hint a pine and citrus. The aroma then melds into wet and juicy hops.

Taste: It's quite sweet. To the point of being cloy and nearly unbearable. Can't really taste the hops at all. Very bready.

Mouthfeel: Thick and full-bodied with a syrup/molasses-like presence on the tongue. Medium-carbonation.

Overall: Actually not half bad. I'll be interested to see where 1 year of aging on the 2nd bottle I have takes this beer. 18% ABV, and the wholly sweet nature of this brew make it a slow sipper to enjoy and warm up on a cold night.

4.5/5  rDev +13.6%

This one is excellent when on draft and fresh. It's tough to beat, IMO. Lots going on; pine, citrus, sweetness, slight booziness, oak, strong crispness and bite ... it's very complex.

I've enjoyed it from the bottle, too, but haven't tried it that way as many times as I have on draft. One of the drawbacks, IMO, is that the bottles don't have a date on them, so it's tough to tell when they were made. I'd like to be able to distinguish them. I've tried a few bottles that had some age (1-3 years?) on them, but I didn't find them to be as memorable as the excellent drafts that I've had.

One of my favorites, but not something I could drink a ton of or regularly. For me, it's a good one to have a handful of times/year. 4.25-4.5 (though if you can get it on draft, you might be inclined to give this a full 5 stars, as I recently did on Untappd).

4.13/5  rDev +4.3%

--2007 Vintage--

A: Pours a deep reddish amber. Appearance is cloudy due to bottle conditioning. Off-white head is thin and dissipates rather quickly.

S: Smells of leafy, grassy hops mixed with alcohol. Not terribly complex regarding the smell. Slight dried fruit aromas emerge as the beer warms up.

T: Huge hop presence. In fact, the first sip is all hops: leafy, grassy, and herbal. However, there is plenty of malt to balance. The malt flavors are sweet, reminiscent of dried raisins. Strong rummy, boozy alcohol character is very apparent, but complements the malt and hops quite nicely. Finishes surprisingly clean. Taste is significantly more complex than the smell.

M: Full bodied and quite smooth. Perfect amount of carbonation. Rounded mouthfeel.

D: Very easy to drink for such a huge beer. However, it's a sipper for sure. Something to have on a special occasion. Great on a cold, rainy day. If I had the money I'd buy a bunch of these and age them for a few years.

I finally decided it was time to crack this one open. I tried this beer once before, but that was before I became a BA. I credit this beer with enlightening me as to what beer could be and getting me into reviewing and sampling different beers. Well enough reminiscing...

Emptied bottle into oversized wine glass producing a fingers worth of light beige head that receded but never completely. Had a nice glowing orangish amber color to it with carbonation visible and left a fine lace all the way down the glass from the extremely tiny bubbles. Amazing sweet smell of white grape juice and figs. Sweet tastes of honey and maybe a little raisin or fig in there as well. This beer feels like it's just melting in you're mouth with all of the fine carbonation. I didn't even notice the hops at all until the end where I detected a mild hop bitterness. I don't know how they hide the huge amount of alcohol in this, maybe the sweetness masks some of it. Just as awesome as the first time I sampled this one, truly a great beer but not for the faint of heart and to be enjoyed single serving. Still don't understand how they can call this a double IPA it reminds me more of barleywine, I guess I don't care what they call it it's simply just an awesome brew.

1.42/5  rDev -64.1%

Looked good enough. Poured nice and rich with hearty color and top. I should have stopped there. I know this is supposed to be constructive but this is not for me.

The smell is of medicine. Cough syrup, malts, hops a little line pine-cleaner.

The taste is worse than the smell. Is this really a DIPA? A TIPA? Tasted like an overly sweetened malty boozy barley wine with some hops thrown in (or pine-scented cleaner). It was not refreshing and I couldn't even nurse it. It's just not a good flavor. Perhaps they need more testing of what's leaving the brewery? Or maybe it's just a high alcohol gimmick? I'm a hophead, IPA lover.

This is a beer you drink on a dare. It's not drinkable. Maybe put a shot of it in some seltzer water.

4.17/5  rDev +5.3%

12oz. bottle (dated 11/06/08) poured into Portsmouth tulip glasses:

A: A dark orange with a red tint, topped off with a thin lace of white foam.

S: Apricots, mango, with malty caramel characteristics. The ABV really shows through while presenting a lot of similarities to a Barley Wine.

T: Bitter hops up front that immediately turn into super sweet tropical fruit (Mango, pineapple) glazed in brown sugar. Settles on the palate with flavors of honey, burnt caramel, and maple syrup.

M: Viscous, syrupy, heavy and full bodied with a tingling sensation throughout.

D: It does exist! This one year old 120 min. IPA drinks extremely smooth, and still puts you to bed, and tucks you in. One more you ask... I think not. Good night Beeradvocate.

The Kings Of Hop

3.83/5  rDev -3.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

This is a two year old bottle that's been cellaring. Gonna keep it brief. Wood, alcohol and candied fruit on the nose. Those characteristics follow through to the taste, with any hop profile really overwhelmed by oak, vanilla and alcohol heat. Some cloying sweetness on the finish. Bourbon barrel character. Wouldn't mind trying a fresh one for comparisons sake. Truthfully, I'd take a fresh 90 minute IPA over this

3.63/5  rDev -8.3%

I am going on the assumption that I tried this for much the same reason others have: dry hopped for a month?! crazy high abv?! Dogfish Head?!I consider 60 minute to be a session beer, and 90 min to be a solid hour long sipper, and I imagined this would be like 90 minute, but with a flavor wallop. Instead, it just seemed like they poured some booze into a perfectly good 90 min. Sure this was a bit more complex and layered, but ultimately, I would pick the 90 min every time in the future, especially considering one 120 bottle costs the same as a 4-pack of 90.

4.02/5  rDev +1.5%

I am re-reviewing this beer, after a ten-year hiatus, and I decided that it is much better than I had thought. Or perhaps my tastes have changed,. If you notice, my name is Porter 17, but I think the IPA is the best beer style out there now. Accordingly, I have upgraded review numbers and find that the beer is one most people will enjoy, if you like an IPA!

3.83/5  rDev -3.3%

I served a bottle of this beast into a wine glass. It poured a nice honey color and left a two finger head that coated the glass well, which dissipated into nice lacing.

The nose held citrusy fruit caramel, malt, spices (cinnamon maybe), and pine undertones.

Immediately I can taste the alcohol along with an oily sugarness that coats your lips. At first i tasted the hops but they seem to be less noticeable after a few drinks which is a let down. I also taste raisins and caramel. Infact it reminds me of the mexican desert "flaun" Creamy with caramel sauce and cinnamon on top.

This was a very good beer because of its uniqueness but lacked the hops I was hoping for in a true IPA The complexity was decieving, the first drink really is the best.. Also I couldnt see myself drinking more than one of these.

3.71/5  rDev -6.3%

Poured gently into a tulip glass. A nice hazy amber, burnt orange color with minimal head and lacing. Very sweet smell, apricot, fig, molasses, earthy hops. I was expecting more hop aroma, but this one leans toward the sweet malt end of the spectrum. Taste is bold, very sweet at first with cherries, hard candy, pineapple, brandy. The hops come in at the finish, with some citrus flavors and just a slight presence of alcohol. Feel is slick and heavy. Viscosity reminiscent of liquor. This is a sipper for sure. The alcohol is well hidden behind the huge sweet malt and heavy hop addition. This is worth a try for its uniqueness and extreme nature.

3.02/5  rDev -23.7%

Served from bottle into goblet at about 40F form a 2009 bottle. This is a interesting beer, no doubt. The initial aroma is of cider and whiskey- no doubt due to the ridiculous amount of malt present in the wort. The aroma is strong- much stronger than I'm used to from any other beer. The flavor is very sweet and syrupy- somewhat too sweet to be very drinkable. Surprisingly enough there is almost no taste of alcohol or hops- the sugary sweetness of this brew masks everything else. There is an obvious skill to making a beer this extreme but the results are less than wholly enjoyable on flavor alone. This would be best extremely cold or, perhaps, on tap.

4.28/5  rDev +8.1%

This beer had a deep golden color, with a viscous of a fine dessert wine. Nice lace because it just clings not to carbonated but suites me fine. Not too big on the aroma but still nice. Mouthfeel of a belgian with the sweetness which tapers down the high hops this has in it. It is amazing that this beer is so well balanced for 20.04% abv. This is definately one of the best put together extreme beers on the market.

3.68/5  rDev -7.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

To enjoy this beer, you should know what you are getting yourself into. Beautiful color, very sweet and alchoholy nose, tastes much more like mead or honey. Almost no sign of bitterness you would expect from an imperial ipa. All that said, a very good beer for sipping and sharing, but dont think you'll be tossing a couple of these back on a hot summer day.

4.1/5  rDev +3.5%

Poured into a Bordeaux wine glass.

A - Beautiful, cloudy golden color. Like the 90 min IPA, but cloudy! A bit of similarly colored head when poured, but it disappears quickly.

S - Very hoppy and very apparent, sweet with definite apricot smell.

T - Wow. I wasn't sure if I'd like this one but it is quite good. It is very potent, with a clear taste of peach and apricot. The alcohol jumps out at you, and it has a bit if burn (almost like a mellow scotch). I needed to drink water every so often before proceeding.

M - Burns a bit, which is a bit unpleasant with the slight carbonation.

D - This is a weird one. On one hand, it smells and tastes great, but it hits very hard. The immediate taste is very good, but the burn and lingering aftertaste make it difficult to finish. Have some water breaks!

2.11/5  rDev -46.7%

i have herd alot about this beer

i read the bottle it claims to be the "holy grail for hop heads" all i tasted in this beer was SWEET and BOOZE a little hop after taste but i was truly unimpressed with this beer i really had to struggle to finish it and thats hard for me to do

120 Minute IPA from Dogfish Head Craft Brewery