120 Minute IPA | Dogfish Head Craft Brewery

ABV varies from 15-20%.

Added by frank4sail on 03-24-2003

Reviews: 2,251 | Ratings: 8,006
4.94/5  rDev +24.7%

Appearance: head dissipates quickly, golden in color

Smell: Hops! floral spice - notes of honeysuckle and sugar

Taste: Wow. Very similar to a barleywine, but much more intense. If someone told you it was a Caramel liquor, you'd likely believe it. Incredible flavor with a ton of complexity. The alcohol is present, but not overpowering

Mouth feel: a sweet attack that coats your tongue. There is a long, hoppy finish.

Overall: This is a powerful beer - much closer to a fine whiskey than a beer. This one is defines what a "sipper" is - no sane person would drink a whole bottle in an evening. Fantastic!

4.22/5  rDev +6.6%

This is, in my opinion, a hard beer to review. Let me say up front that I'm quite fond of it, but I don't think it's "the holy grail for hopheads."

This beer pours a dark amber color, darker than I'd expect for an IIPA. Very thin head that dissipates, but what were you expecting with 20% alchohol? Considering the minimal head, the beer leaves a generous amount of lacing in its wake.

Smells wonderful, just doesn't smell hoppy to me. This is far and away the sweetest smelling IIPA I've encountered. Almost smells fruity, but I like it. A lot.

Taste follows the smell here, sweet with some slight alcohol burn and just a slight hint that there are hops here. Again, overtones of fruit, but not the citrus taste you expect from an IPA. Very delicate and tasty. The alcohol is beautifully masked, with just a hint of burn on your tongue, and it creeps up on you in a hurry. The aftertaste is even sweeter.

I want to say medium bodied in the mouth, but it's probably closer to heavy. But not Imperial Stout heavy. Feels almost perfect to me. Sits delectably on the tongue and rolls down the throat with ease.

I want another, but the alcohol content won't allow it. This stuff has potential to hurt you, especially in the larger bottle. Honestly, even 12 ounces seems like too much for a single sitting, but damn, it's tasty. The last swallow is as delicious as the first.

My only complaint is that this tastes *nothing* like any other double/imperial IPA I've tasted. It's overpoweringly sweet. If you're looking for the height of bitterness, it's not to be found here. This beer baffles me, and it comes back to the bit on the label claiming to be "the holy grail for hopheads," which this is definitely not. That doesn't stop it from being delicious though, so seek out and try this unique brew.

3.37/5  rDev -14.9%

A- Pours a light golden to amber color. Very thick exterior head with much larger bubbles towards the center. 2 finger head that looks very glossy and leaves an amazing lace on the glass.

S- Very floral beer, much orange peel and honey coming through.

T- Very sweet, orange, hop/pine flavors, with a long citrus-bittering finish. A little too sweet to start, but finishes nice with tons of flavor. Almost over-powering.

M- Decent carbonation, light-medium body, much alcohol coming through.

D- Easy to start off, but almost difficult to finish. Very strong, sweet, piney beer. Great, in small amounts.

4.22/5  rDev +6.6%

on tap at the Blind Tiger

A- poured into a tulip glass with barely any head at all, relatively hazy, mostly orangy with a touch of yellow

S- honeydew melons, along with huge hoppy and some sweet aromas as well

T- this is actually a pretty sweet tasting beer considering how much hops are in it, its not very hoppy, the 90 min is hoppier than this, but the taste is very strong, there is a distinct alcohol burn in this one

M- smooth and full bodied, it coats your entire mouth in kind of a buttery way

Overall this beer is very different from anything out there. I did enjoy it because it was such a different experience. I'm glad i was able to try it but at the price and extreme nature of this beer surpassing 20% abv i won't go out of my way to try it again but worth it at least once.

2.88/5  rDev -27.3%

Too strong, to sweet and too expensive! Here is a case of extreme brewing that has gone too far, IMO. They probably should have stopped at 90 minutes on the hopping. I just don't find this stuff that drinkable. At DFH pub, they serve it in a brandy snifter. So strong it is just not very refreshing and the hops ratio is so overpowering that it obliterates the palate so that every other IPA you try within the next few hours tastes like a pilsner! Looks fantastic though and smells like heaven. Strangely, I was getting faint vinegar notes in the times I have tasted this beer. I applaud DFH for taking this style to the limit though! Just not for me. 90 Minute through the Randall is my ultimate DFH choice.

3.65/5  rDev -7.8%

Im a big fan of imperial beers (stouts, pumpkins and IPAs), but have never had a beer anywhere close to the 18% ABV Im about to experience...lets get to it.

Poured from bottle into pint glass

A- Pours a hazy amber orange color. Surprisingly, I did get one finger of soapy off-white head, with a lot of the higher ABV beers producing less of one. Little bit of carbonation, with small bubbles rising slowly.

S- Smell the alcohol a little. Picking up notes of pine and pungent grapefruit.

T- This is a BIG beer. I get alcohol notes of caramel, faint honey, some pine, and an earthy grapefruitiness followed with a bitterness from the hops and a little burn from the alcohol that gives it an almost rum-like quality. You definitely get a warming effect from the alcohol.

M- Huge mouthfeel. Big, thick, full-bodied brew. Its has a thick, syrupy type of character, but not too sticky or resinous.

O- This is a pretty good novelty beer and something that I would only suggest to experienced drinkers of imperial craft brews. Not a practical every day beer. Im not a huge fan of these types of IPAs, as I gravitate toward the crisp West Coast style IPAs. However, considering its 18% ABV, its crafted pretty well. Very pricey though, only by a single. A case will likely run you over $100. I wouldnt suggest drinking any more than one of these at a time.

3.43/5  rDev -13.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Very sweet. Mouthfeel is thick, hops are there, but are pretty well balanced out by the alcohol. Perhaps I should consider that an achievement in balance, but it just seems like I'm having beer concentrate. Good aroma, almost no head.

I had high expectations, and while this isn't by any means bad, I just feel like I don't get it. I'd rather have one out of their regular lineup.

3.96/5  rDev 0%

First impression is this was carbonated Scotch! The booze in this one will knock you down!

Shared a 12 ounce bottle with a friend after pouring in tulip glasses. Both of us had to put it down it was so strong. Let it warm up and breath a little...

It got easier to drink or maybe we were just getting drunk on this one "beer." I am going with the latter.

3.68/5  rDev -7.1%

Well, I had heard about this beer, it was almost a fable..."21% alcohol and it is still a beer?!"...but had never actually "seen" it anywhere. Many places carry the 60 minute or 90 minute ales but it took a trip to Portland, ME to actually find a single bottle of 120. And trust me, I have been to a lot of incredibly savvy, beer filled distributors in the past. So was it everything that people had talked about and more?..eh, not exactly. Maybe I had hyped it up too much in my mind as being one of these holy grail type beers, high ABV and extreme drinkability, but it took almost 2 hours to sip through the heavy, almost syrupy liquid. No doubt on the ABV, this stuff packs a punch, but I could only find one person at a party of 35 who enjoyed it.(side note: it was a little tiny girl who said it was better than the summer ales she was drinking, go figure!) The reason was probably the strange sweetness that accompanied the brew. It was a very strong flavor that I'm sure is added to make consuming a high-test alcohol and hop beer more drinkable...but as I am a fan of the pure hop taste it kind of ruined the fun for me. Would I drink it again? Probably not, as one BA said before it could have been better for a late night in the dead of winter instead of at a 4th of July BBQ like I tried. It was 6.99 for the single bottle, a bit pricey but in the limited quantity not outrageous. Still, in the spirit of try everything once I would recommend it to all BA's and hops lovers alike.

4.59/5  rDev +15.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

5oz draft pour into a snifter. I was surprised by the initial foamy white head, but it quickly diminished, as did the lacing as I went. Very drinkable for 18%, but a bit of a mediciny booziness. Worth a try, but at $1 an ounce, not the best bang for the buck in the double/triple ipa category.

2.54/5  rDev -35.9%

My second go at DFH 120. My recollection of the first one isn't too favorable, to be quite honest. Time to take another stab roughly two years after the fact.

You can smell it as soon as you pop the cap: big-time orange, almost candied orange, and a bit of peach and apricot. Swirling the glass creates this amalgamation of head and honey-colored beer that is about the most tantalizing thing I've ever seen. As it settles, though, it loses some of that appeal. A 1/4 inch head and a color that light cannot penetrate.

The taste: like the nose, oranges, but its odd. Sweet, candied ginger flavors mix with the tart citrus but are, alas, overcome by the hot, hot alcohol and big malt sweetness. (An aside: Sam Adam's recent double witbier suffered from this same issue--too sweat, too hot, handicapping any nuance from penetrating the surface). The hops are certainly there, but the dominant note, from start to finish, is heat. In fact, it reminds me of putting too much wasabi or horseradish on something: whatever goodness lies beneath is elided by machismo of too much.

I like 'extreme' beers, but this falls into the class of big guns/big tits/big explosion American-style overkill that ruins what might have been a good thing. Nuance? Forget it.

3.16/5  rDev -20.2%

Poured into a DFH snifter

A: Bright copper with a very thin head. Little to no carbonation noted in the pour. Very thin ring present from the beginning and lasting for the session. Small island of tinny bubbles present. Swirling produces some foaming but it dissipates very quickly. No lacing present.

S: At first the hops were the dominant aroma when sniffing this beer. Quickly that was replaced by a very sweet alcohol aroma. There are some spicy notes noted in the background along with some malt and traces of burnt sugar.

T: Sweet malt with an alcohol bite. Hops are hard to detect at first but appear midway then dissipate quickly leaving a lingering bitterness and residual sweetness.

M: Full bodied with a fair amount of carbonation. Very sticky and slightly cloying. Seems to leave more of a film than the 90 minute.

D: Couldn't drink more than one in an evening. One that really should be savored and allowed to open to fully enjoy. I can really only recommend this to those looking for something completely unique or those that are die hard DFH fans. It will be interesting to see how this beer develops over time as Sam works on reigning this beast of a brew in.

4.05/5  rDev +2.3%

6-month-old bottle from the June 2012 batch, appropriately poured into a DFH tulip.

A - Pours a burnt-caramel with a two-finger head that lingers about for a full 3 minutes, until the first sip is taken. HUGE amount of constantly-effervescent carbonation, proving that this beer still needs quite a bit of age to truly mellow and reach its' true potential.

S - Notes more akin to a Barleywine than an IPA, with hints of cognac-esque sweetness, and inherent fruitiness. Hops take a backseat, which is strange, but we all know that Sam does things a little differently at DFH. Also Toasty rye and barley malts and caramel, showing that the hops aren't the only star of this monster beer.

T - Creaminess and lighter hop-notes start the palate off, followed by more Cognac sweetness, and some mango and dates. I'm pretty sure that Mr. Calagione brewed some fruit into this one, on top of the candy sugar, because it's just too darned fruity to think otherwise. There is also some inherent dryness to the mid-palate, with the malts complimenting the loony shenanigans that is the whole of this beer, which, once again, IMHO, could use more age. Lucky me, I still have another bottle to hold on to for 6+ months.

M - Lively effervescence, creamy notes, and a lingering acidity round this Barleywine-like beast out well. Once again, NEEDS AGE. (The label doesn't lie...)

O - A nice treat for all the senses, at any time, holding in consideration that you don't have anything important to do, like operating heavy machinery, or taking care of a small human. And for the love of all that is holy, DON'T DRINK ONE AND DRIVE!!! Just by volume, this beer (This batch) is equal to a little over 4 Bud Lights in alcohol, or 2 shots of Jagermeister. It can do things to you, most of which are nice, if you (as previously mentioned) don't have anything pressing to do. Great with a Don Collins Rum-Dipped Cigarillo (From Viejo San Juan, Puerto Rico.... Look them up online, order some of their cigars and RUM, and thank me later!), or some applewood smoked Jerk chicken. I love this beer. If you don't, you haven't had it yet. CHEERS!!!

4.58/5  rDev +15.7%

Poured into a snifter and received a real nice head that stuck strong for a few minutes. Beautiful copper tone on this one. Once the head settles out, a little ring is left and the foam just sticks to the sides. No visible chunks on the first pour but not completely clear either.

The aroma is very floral and sweet like nectar. Fruity hop tones come through nicely. Orange peel...

The taste: Surprisingly sweet... Fruity and floral hop notes dance with the sweet maltiness. Sour oranges. Fresh green herbal notes. A touch of cough syrup. Biscuit. Caramel. The finish is complex with hops and dries the palate, leaving you wanting more. A nice warmth from the ethanol on the roof of the mouth is there but not overpowering. The carbonation plays an important role here, leaving a dry, crisp finish.

Dangerously drinkable! This one was bottled just over a month ago, and is much hoppier than I remember the last one I had, which must have been quite aged. This one is quite hoppy, but very balanced with the sweetness and the alcohol. I am stocking up on this batch!

3.51/5  rDev -11.4%
look: 3 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

"What just happened?" I asked out loud as I took my first sip of this concoction and coughed. The aroma smells as if I'm homebrewing in my kitchen, but a full night of brewing was crammed into one bottle. I think I may have just smacked my mama. I have never had anything like this before. Not for the faint of heart or palate. If you don't like hops, stay the hell away fron anyone even drinking this, but if you're a big IPA fan, and I mean a fan of big IPAs not a big fan, take the plunge. You'll never forget it. Drinkability, however is a little down because I think I may have trouble getting through this one beer.

4.43/5  rDev +11.9%

This is a 2006 120 min. IPA poured into my brand new DFH goblet glass. It is almost 5 years old to the day. I can't tell if the born on date is 12/13 or 12/18/2006.

Look: A darker brownish/cherry color, off white head is small and falls into the brew quite fast. It certainly doesn't look like any other IPA. There is a good amount of cloudiness too.

Smell: It has a distinct hop resin scent with some honey, caramel, and dark fruit notes as well. It's strong and quite impressive. There is also a subtle hint at the potent alcohol content of the brew. As it warms it almost has an anise aroma.

Taste: There is a bit of a burnt caramel and cherry kind of flavor up front that develops into a more hoppy bitterness. The hops are kind of earthy at this point. It's kind of an odd toasty bitterness with a bit of citrus and an alcohol kick to finish it off. Despite the citrus hop bitterness, the overall taste is really sweet. I really wish I had a young bottle to compare side by side with this five year old bottle.

Feel: It actually has a pretty nice smooth, silky feel. There is definitely a bit of stickiness too.

Overall: This is the second bottle of 120 that I have had. The first was a much younger bottle and I don't remember much about it except that the flavor was too much for me. The sweetness was far too overpowering and while there is still a good amount of sweetness now, it's not as bad. This is a much more mellow and mature flavor that I really enjoy. The aroma and tastes are the real highlights for me. It is very unique. It also goes down surprisingly quick for such a high alcohol beer. I give it a 4.5 overall because it is such a unique smell and flavor, but I suspect that is because of the age and that a younger 120 would get a slightly lower score.

Date: 12/17/2011
Serving: 12 oz bottle in DFH goblet

4.43/5  rDev +11.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

L - Beautiful amber. Cloudy, almost opaque. Thin head dissipates quickly.

S - Alcohol, caramel and pine.

T - Amazingly malty for an IPA. Drinks closer to a barleywine but remains balanced by the extreme hoppiness buried within. Definite alcohol burn at the end.

F - Solid mouth feel, almost closer to that of a stout than an IPA. Mouth feel almost dissipates due to the high APV.

O - Insanity in a bottle. Malt, hops, burn and repeat.

4.32/5  rDev +9.1%

Had this just last weekend when I made a quick trip to Vegas. Found it at the Burger Bar in Mandalay Place late Saturday night.

A - Copper color with a thin whispy white head that quickly dissipated.

S - Hops, moderate alcohol and a surprising port like character.

T - More malt than hops with a bright blast of hoppiness. Like the nose, port like in character and warming. Quite pleasant!

M - Much more like a cognac or brandy than a beer.

D - Surprisingly for an 18% beer it was pretty tasty. Getting the whole bottle down by myself was not happening. I took the last few ounces in a to go cup (I love Vegas!) and woke my wife up with it in the hotel room.

Overall it was a great experience and I did not even blink at the $18 it cost me. I would probably enjoyed this a bit more if I had found it earlier in the evening!

4.5/5  rDev +13.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

This is one of the best big beers I have ever had. It comes off very strong like a barley wine, but then you feel the tingle of the hops on your tounge. This beer was a nice amber and the foamy head stuck around and left a nice lace on the glass. The smell was blissful. The taste was a deep round big beer flavor with an aftertaste of firey hops. Before you know it you can feel your tongue going numb. I could definately drink these on a regular basis however I paid $8.99 for a 12oz bottle and it is not available where I live so lucky for me I won't be going broke any time soon. However the next time I am out and about and I run across this sucker I may buy the entire stock. I highly suggest and congrats to those who have had the opportunity to enjoy. This is definately for the experienced beer drinker.

3.13/5  rDev -21%

What the hell was that?!? I don'r know what I was expecting but this was an interesting drink. I could taste the 21% from the first sip which is not a good thing since I was hoping the complexity of the beer could mask it a bit better. I would not call this beer an IPA so not sure how to rate it. It is very, very sweet and not at all bitter. I could not finish the whole bottle by myself but not from the strength of the beer bbut from the sweet, syrupy mouthfeel. I love the Dogfish and most of the brews I have had but this was a bit much for me.

4.15/5  rDev +4.8%

12 oz. bottle. Bottled on date a little rubbed off but I think it says 9/29/06.

A: Nice coppery orange color, cloudy with lots of very fine carbonation rising through it. Not much head.

S: I'm not sure if something can smell syrupy but this does. Smells of lime, alcohol, raisins, dates, not nearly as hoppy as I expected. No floral or grass-like aromas from all that dry-hopping.

T: Again does not really taste like an IPA. Very complex flavors, lots of alcohol, reminds me a lot of a tawny port or other fortified dessert wine. Sweet sugary flavors and dried fruits dominate. Finally some hop flavor at the end.

M: Very good mouthfeel. Syrupy, really coats the mouth. Bitterness kicks in a bit, but less than expected.

D: Definitely a sipping beer. It becomes harder to drink as it warms due to the alcohol, even if more flavors start to emerge.

An extreme brew, no doubt about it.

3.95/5  rDev -0.3%

Received in a trade with hayesez. Thanks for the great beer. Poured from a bottle dated 02-09-09 into the DFH signature glass. This is my second bottle of this, the last one i had i few months ago was a 2006 vintage. I will try my best to compare them since that review was deleted with the site crash. I rated the 06 higher than this, as i did enjoy it a good bit more. On to the review.

A: Pours a golden amber, slightly hazy, with about 1/2" white head. The head does not stay very long, and leaves only the slightest lacing. To be expected from 18+abv.

S: As soon as I opened the bottle I immediately smelled the hops. Now that I am giving it a few more sniffs in the glass, it is more fruity and alchohol then hops. Peach, apple and caramel? Smells delicious, but not like an IPA of any kind, but just as i say that, here come the hops again... citrusy. If i recall correctly the 06 had more of a good cognac or rum smell to it.

T: I don't know if my palate just isn't that great yet but this one is difficult for me. It is not the hop bomb bitterness that you would expect. Very sweet... carmel, maple sweetness at the end. At first i believe it is from the malts, but the alcohol definitely lends it's giant hand. The alcohol is there, but not really hot and for sure not overpowering. I think the biggest characteristic the alcohol gives is the sweetness. I am trying to figure out where those hops went. Again not bitter in any way, i only get hints of the citrusy hops but they are outplayed by the sweetness. As it warms the alcohol gets a little warmer too, or maybe it is because i've had half the glass now. The 2006 reminded me almost exactly of Pyrat rum if any of you have had it.

M: Silky smooth, and more carbonation then you would think coming from a beer like this. I don't recall what the 06 felt like.

D: Wow... this is 18%+? Really? Goes down very easy. About halfway through it is starting to kick in, i think two would have made this review much more interesting.

3.77/5  rDev -4.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: Cloudy golden color, nice looking white head.

S: Smells like fresh grapefruit, a little pine but mostly citrus. As the beer warms up more of the malts come through.

T: You taste the booze right away, gives way to a bitter citrus flavor. The after taste is pure oranges and grapefruit.

M: Slightly acidic. Crisp. Surprisingly light-medium bodied.

O: Not what I was expecting at all. Balanced yet hoppy. Alcoholic yet smooth. Still not sure what to think of this beer, but it is definitely something I would recommend to someone who likes hops and wants something unique. Warning on the alcohol: I had to split this one with my girlfriend.

4.8/5  rDev +21.2%

This beer is a real treat.

Its golden appearance entices you to take a wiff. The smell: sweet hops and booze. The taste is sweet, fruity, boozy, and of course HOPS! I love the mouthfeel; its low carbonation makes this feel more like a hop liquor than a beer. Overall, I recommend EVERY hop head taste this beer. But be warned, it's not for everyone. Cheers!

4.27/5  rDev +7.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

what you would expect from a continuously hopped boil for two hours. Dry hopped for one month. Intense everything: nose, taste and mouthfeel. 18% abv nice copper color.

Definitely a swirler, sipper. Take about ten-thirty minutes to get through a 12 ozer. Share with a friend if possible. Is this beer or port like beverage? Beyond barleywine.

Not much carbonation, head, legs, etc....it doesn't need it. Improves as warms; opens up the apricot, peach citrusy taste. 120 IBU's

Someone said relaxing; I agree