120 Minute IPA | Dogfish Head Craft Brewery

ABV varies from 15-20%.

Added by frank4sail on 03-24-2003

Reviews: 2,226 | Ratings: 7,918
3.95/5  rDev -0.3%

Received in a trade with hayesez. Thanks for the great beer. Poured from a bottle dated 02-09-09 into the DFH signature glass. This is my second bottle of this, the last one i had i few months ago was a 2006 vintage. I will try my best to compare them since that review was deleted with the site crash. I rated the 06 higher than this, as i did enjoy it a good bit more. On to the review.

A: Pours a golden amber, slightly hazy, with about 1/2" white head. The head does not stay very long, and leaves only the slightest lacing. To be expected from 18+abv.

S: As soon as I opened the bottle I immediately smelled the hops. Now that I am giving it a few more sniffs in the glass, it is more fruity and alchohol then hops. Peach, apple and caramel? Smells delicious, but not like an IPA of any kind, but just as i say that, here come the hops again... citrusy. If i recall correctly the 06 had more of a good cognac or rum smell to it.

T: I don't know if my palate just isn't that great yet but this one is difficult for me. It is not the hop bomb bitterness that you would expect. Very sweet... carmel, maple sweetness at the end. At first i believe it is from the malts, but the alcohol definitely lends it's giant hand. The alcohol is there, but not really hot and for sure not overpowering. I think the biggest characteristic the alcohol gives is the sweetness. I am trying to figure out where those hops went. Again not bitter in any way, i only get hints of the citrusy hops but they are outplayed by the sweetness. As it warms the alcohol gets a little warmer too, or maybe it is because i've had half the glass now. The 2006 reminded me almost exactly of Pyrat rum if any of you have had it.

M: Silky smooth, and more carbonation then you would think coming from a beer like this. I don't recall what the 06 felt like.

D: Wow... this is 18%+? Really? Goes down very easy. About halfway through it is starting to kick in, i think two would have made this review much more interesting.

3.77/5  rDev -4.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: Cloudy golden color, nice looking white head.

S: Smells like fresh grapefruit, a little pine but mostly citrus. As the beer warms up more of the malts come through.

T: You taste the booze right away, gives way to a bitter citrus flavor. The after taste is pure oranges and grapefruit.

M: Slightly acidic. Crisp. Surprisingly light-medium bodied.

O: Not what I was expecting at all. Balanced yet hoppy. Alcoholic yet smooth. Still not sure what to think of this beer, but it is definitely something I would recommend to someone who likes hops and wants something unique. Warning on the alcohol: I had to split this one with my girlfriend.

4.8/5  rDev +21.2%

This beer is a real treat.

Its golden appearance entices you to take a wiff. The smell: sweet hops and booze. The taste is sweet, fruity, boozy, and of course HOPS! I love the mouthfeel; its low carbonation makes this feel more like a hop liquor than a beer. Overall, I recommend EVERY hop head taste this beer. But be warned, it's not for everyone. Cheers!

4.75/5  rDev +19.9%

Bought and opened same day, poured at fridge temp and allowed to warm up a bit.

A: Gold-orange. Slightly hazy with a sticky head leaving lace all the way down the wall. Really attractive colors coming through

S: Hops and more Hops, nearly overpowering. Some tropical fruits on the nose, as well as something not so sweet. Onion? More wafts bring sweet caramel.

T: Oh my god the sugars, its so sweet! like liquid candy, caramel and bread mixed. The word "cloying" comes to mind but NOT in a bad way. Definitely a sipper. Then the hops, they assault the senses and make you wrinkle your nose, again, NOT in a bad way. As it hits the throat, alcohol makes itself known. Spicy and warm all the way down to the belly.

M: Big, Bold, and Chewy. More of a mouthful that some of the best barleywines

O: A remarkable beer, and fantastic experience. I have two more aging for future enjoyment.

4.2/5  rDev +6.1%

This was my first "big ale." When I purchased the single bottle I had no clue the strength of it. I was extremely surprised by the high alcohol content but found it pleasant. The orange and corriander taste was very arromatic and to my liking. IPA are one of my favorite styles and this one seems to be a real granddaddy.

2.98/5  rDev -24.7%

warning: 21% alcohol by volume! foggy ruby in glass... aroma is off-the-charts sweet and alcoholic... taste is again very sweet, with fruity hops, and a staggering amount of alcohol... oily mouthfeel.

obviously an extreme beer, but better than expected. probably not worth the $10 you have to shell out for it though...

4.13/5  rDev +4.3%

I have long considered 120 to be a real treat and usually order it when it's on tap. Lately though, I've been dissappointed with its quality on tap. This has always been a nice, deep, copper/amber color with good clarity. Lately though, it has been served very cloudy, almost milky in color.

This problem doesn't seem to affect the taste or aroma, though, and I've always been impressed with Dogfish's ability to make this beer. True, it has tons of alcohol sweetness but that is balanced by almost unfathomable proportions of hop flavor and aroma. I'm constantly amazed that a beer this strong can still resemble beer.

3.9/5  rDev -1.5%

Bottled 1/14/2015 - right about a year old. Pours a hazy red-orange with minimal white head --- looks more like a Tree House IPA than I was expecting. Smell is boozy and sweet - not much hop aroma, more like a barleywine. Taste is similar, with definite sweet and boozy notes, but more bitter than a traditional barleywine - hops still coming through here, a little pine. Still, I wouldn't guess IIPA here. Pretty well carbonated for a year old beer - nice mouthfeel. Glad to try it but not my style.

4.22/5  rDev +6.6%

Poured a hazy honey color, with a thick foamy head. Nice lacing on glass.

Smelled very very hoppy, smelled just like fresh hops. As a homebrewer, this is a delightful smell.

Tasted at first, quite hoppy (citrus and spice especially), but was surprisingly sweet. The outragous alcohol content was nicely masked. Indeed a very big beer.

Sort of thick in the mouth, hiding the alcohol (considering its 20+%, impossible to hide, but you know what I mean).

Drinkability is a hard one. Its good enough to keep drinking, but you wouldn't want to drink too many. A 12 oz of this is like 6oz of vodka. A little goes a long ways.

4.35/5  rDev +9.8%

This beer poured beautifully and smelled great. The smell was ultra hoppy with some appricot. The mouthfeel was about the same as the smell, but the drink was a bit too much for my liking, but everything that I heard the beer would be, so A for this brew!

2.32/5  rDev -41.4%

Poured from a chilled 12oz bottle into a room temp tulip glass.

Pours a thick caramel colored syrup which clings to the glass as it slides to the bottom. A thin ring of froth clings to the edge of the glass. Translucent... Almost opaque. Light penetrates, but that is all that penetrates.

Smells... Sweet. Uber malt over malt divided by malt to the maltiest power all of which is multiplied by isopropyl alcohol. Reminiscent of extract of malt liquor.

A variety of flavors... But not really. Sugar, cane sugar, brown sugar, honey. Pure sweetness. And not in a good way. There is no balance at all to this flavor. At the very end of the swallow I can detect a faint honey-dijon mustard flavor.

The mouthfeel on this beer could be great, but the taste is so bad that I can't stand to roll it around long enough to tell. It's nice, but the flavor kills it.

As for drinkability... Ummm... No? That's what I have for that answeram I don't know if there is a zero rating or not, but I hope there is so that I can justify using it. For me, this is a novelty. Try one and trade the rest of your stash.

4.15/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Two reviews, one bottle at 3 months old, and another at 1.25 years.

Fresher:

Pours with no head, just a thin wisp of bubbles covering the surface, very hazy golden-peach-pink. Smells surprisingly like an English barleywine, sweet cream balanced with fresh hops, the alcohol shows up, a hotness in the sinuses, but for the abv totally reasonable. Flavor is amazing and vibrant, this thing is HUGE, reminds me of a beer version of Sauternes, all acidic honeyed oranges down the sides of my tongue, super bright golden cherries. Very juicy, the finish is long and mellow with a surprisingly mellow rolling bitterness, looong finish.

Aged:

Pours an 1/8th inch head which fades quickly down to spotty cover and solid ring of bubbles, a little lacing, but tons of alcohol legs. Golden where thin, deepens to peachy-pink. The nose hits me with some alcohol, sweet malts, lightly bready and lemony-sweet. The taste is a little shallow, mostly sweet pale caramel, a sugary-fruitiness. There's a subtle vegetal bitterness in the finish. There's a light alcohol sting on the tongue. Thin, yet coating mouthfeel, like watered down honey, balanced out by a light spritzy carbonation. Seems diminished, but a lot of dogfish bottles go through an awkward middle age to become really great a few years down the road, or so I've heard. One left from this bottling, I'll crack it open in a couple more years.

I'm rating this against the fresher of the two, as I think it's better and a fairer thing to do. I rated the drinkablity of this one a four point five, not that I would ever session this monster, but it goes down amazingly easy considering it's abv.

3.3/5  rDev -16.7%

Reviewed from notes of 1/14/11

A = Orange to amber hue. Reddish afterglow in full light. Reminding me of a light brandy color. 2 finger, quality head. Liquory clinging lace.

S = Hopy! Heavy liquor smell reminding me of a mix of a young brandy and an aged sherry.

T = Good carbonation. Fruity of plum and apricot. Roasted pumpkin. Heavy tanin for no wooden barrel processing. Sweet. Sweet. Sweet. Sweet. Did I mention sweet? Reminded me of a carbonated after dinner cordial. Dare I say my mothers Harveys Bristol Cream?

M = Tingling carbonation on the front end. Sticky but silky smooth finish.

D = This was fun to try, but I could barely finish the bottle. The first few mouthfuls were enjoyable and interesting. But the excess sweetness after 1/2 the bottle turned me off. I would try this again and share with a friend for an after dinner drink served in a brandy snifter.

4.27/5  rDev +7.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

what you would expect from a continuously hopped boil for two hours. Dry hopped for one month. Intense everything: nose, taste and mouthfeel. 18% abv nice copper color.

Definitely a swirler, sipper. Take about ten-thirty minutes to get through a 12 ozer. Share with a friend if possible. Is this beer or port like beverage? Beyond barleywine.

Not much carbonation, head, legs, etc....it doesn't need it. Improves as warms; opens up the apricot, peach citrusy taste. 120 IBU's

Someone said relaxing; I agree

2.12/5  rDev -46.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.5

My problem with DFH 120 is that it's presented as an IPA and it's VERY different from what I was expecting based on that broad categorization. I consider DFH 120 a heavily hopped barley wine, and if you open your first bottle expecting that you'll be better off in my opinion.

The appearance is a nice, hazy orange - it certainly looks like a good IPA.

Smell is sharp and boozy. The hops are there, but overpowered by sweet malty smells mixed with the sharpness of alcohol.

Taste follows the nose. This is a sipper - and a very boozy sipper at that. It's tough to get past the alcohol as it overpowers most of the other flavors. Not really surprising at over 15%, but again, this drinks like a barley wine - not an IPA. There's sweetness from the malts, and definitely hoppy bitterness, but any citrus or fruity flavors take a back seat to the booze.

Mouth is sticky, syrupy, and a little thick. The carbonation is there, but overwhelmed by how sticky it is.

Overall - if you love barley wines you'll probably dig DFH 120. If you (like me) love nicely balanced, smooth, and fruity DIPAs, like Heady, Abner, Ghandi, etc.. then you'll probably be disappointed like I was.

It's possible that the bottle I tried wasn't very fresh and that resulted in less hop flavor and more booze - but from what I've heard 120 is pretty boozy regardless. I'm glad I got to knock it off my list, but I won't be seeking out 120 again.

3.47/5  rDev -12.4%

Presentation - 12 oz. bottle making some pretty lofty claims such as "the holy grail for hopheads" - I hope it delivers. Here we go.

Appearance - mostly transparent copper color with a tight white head, very tight indeed. Pretty nice.

Smell - lots of hops obviously, suprisingly little to no alcohol aroma at first, though once it got closer to the nose, alcohol became more apparent. What is there is a decent spicy corrolary to the hops. Also noticed a pretty fruity, grapey aroma as well.

Mouthfeel - suprisingly light bodied, more robust than most IPA's for sure, but not spectacularly so. Slick sweet sort of feel as the beer went on.

Taste - whoa! I has a lot of expectations for this beer, but was still taken aback by its overpowering aroma right as it enters your nose and then the palate dessimating flavor right as it goes in the mouth. Starts with a light carbonation bite and then some sweet malty/fruity taste at the front that gives way a powerful aromatic hop kick which lingers. I didn't find this really bitter at all to be honest, less so than the 60-minute version, but maybe some of the other hop flavors were so overwhelming I couldn't tell. Goes down with some fruity flavors, want to say grape, kind of reminiscient of their Raison D'etre. Alcohol flavor present as well, but not what one would expect for 20% abv, and leaves a warming burn in the throat. Interesting spiciness that hit towards the end, especially as I got farther along in the bottle and it warmed up some. Leaves a refreshingly candy sweet feel on the lips with a fragrant, slick sweet, fruity, hoppy character all over the mouth. Couples a too alcoholic taste with a semi-cloying sweetness that I wished would have smacked me with a bitter resonance.

Drinkability - Had to sip this one the whole way and was well on my way to being drunk by the end. Couldn't possibly drink two bottles in a row, but I'll give it some credit, since there is no other 20% abv beer/wine/liquor that I have tried which could keep me satisfied for over 12 oz.

This beer tore my palate a new one, so to speak. I could use a DFH 60-minute just to rinse my mouth out after this. Won't be having another right away, but definitely want to drink it again in the future. Very hard to rate this one because 1) it's not to style, but that is not really a downfall; 2) it's very interesting, but flawed; and 3) I want to give them credit for their effort and experimentation but have to be honest that this beer didn't win me over. Try it, but go back to the 60-minute for most occasions.

3.92/5  rDev -1%

Holy hell! Is this a beer?

In the glass, it's a deep cloudy orange with no head. Little bubbles float to the surface. The aroma is sort of hoppy, but also fruity and sweet -almost Belgian-like. Oh, and alcohol. Big hits of alcohol waft off the surface of this monster and overpower everything. Taste and mouthfeel converge, as the thick syrupy body and alcoholic zing carry in a huge maltiness and potent hits of hop bitterness and flavor. With other hoppy beers, I can usually detect differences in hop flavors and aromas, but not here. I just know there are hops entering my body aggressively and I can't see past that. All of this is overlaid on a base of sweet malt. Seems like the yeast, if they could have taken this beer up to 30% ABV, would have had plenty of sugars to work with.

Overall, this is a very complicated and very strong beverage. Unlike anything I've ever had (a title that formerly belonged to Dogfish's Fort). If you haven't, try it. You won't regret spending the $9 for a bottle. Will I buy another bottle? Maybe. Not anytime soon; this is not one that I'll add to my standard lineup, but a worthwhile adventure.

1.95/5  rDev -50.8%

12 ounce bottle for a whopping $8.50, I was thinking "this better be good."

A- Pours a golden hazy color. After the pour, no head at all.

S- okay first thought was "nail polish remover" seriously, piney, flowers, but hoppy was not my reaction.

T- More like a strong barley wine, not an IPA. After the initial shock of alcohol, there was the comforting hop aftertaste. This beer reminds me of strong sherry-like wine.

M- Thick, very little carbonation (no bubbles in my Sam Adams glass) Strong alcohol, very warming.

D- Good to try once. Too strong for a session beer, and I wouldn't really consider it an IPA at all. Granted, I have tried strong IPAs, but this beer didnt give off a ton of hops to me. It tasted like a Barley wine crossed with Sherry wine. It really does smell like nail polish remover, that being said, MUCH too strong for me.

4.6/5  rDev +16.2%

Dogfish head 120 minute IPA. bottled 5/01/09 ABV: 20%

A: The liquid has a very clean crisp look to it. Along with the look, there is a beautiful orange haze that shines in the light. The lacing sticks right to the glass the moment that the beer is poured into the glass. Limited head due to the ABV.

S: Smells of citrus and grapefruit with the alcohol that just lingers in your nose. Very great scent to it, just makes me want another sip.

T: Very strong IPA. The taste is very hoppy(like a syrup based hops) and has the grapefruit hint. Very sweet and bitter at the same time.

M-D: This is a beer that is for heavy beer drinkers. Once the beer is in your mouth, you are experiencing Dogfish head's 20% alcohol content. Very strong at the start and very strong to the finish. Wonderful IPA!

3.5/5  rDev -11.6%

A- Poured into a 6oz pilsner-style sampler glass, showing a hazy straw-yellow complexion with a glint of green around the edges. A low bit of fizzy eggshell head that dissipates like a sparkling wine. Otherwise, not a lot of visible carbonation.

S- Aroma carries ample amounts of dried drupe fruits (mostly apricot) and a bit of tart red apple skin. There seems to be a whiff of musky grape character, not unlike a riesling. There's really almost no indication of the extremely high alcohol content in the nose at this temperature, but perhaps that will change.

T- A rush of mouth-wateringly sweet dried/candied fruit opens up the palate, followed by passing notes of German dessert wine and floral booziness. The sweetness is thick enough to hide much of the alcohol (or at least relegate it to a painless flash of warmth), and I am unsure as to whether or not I like it that way. I really don't taste much hop character here at all... I'm sure three months on the shelf rolled off a portion of the hop character but I have trouble believing that it was ever all that much hoppier than this. If there is any bitterness at all here, it is unfortunately lost to the overwhelming white raisin-y dextrins that dominate this beer. Fortunately, the saccharine overload is relatively brief, and a very pleasant dry sweetness of apple rind finishes off the palate.

M- The mouthfeel is quite thick, though surprisingly dry for the amount of sugar present. As mentioned before, the carbonation is adequate in moving the palate along and bringing about a pleasant finish, but the beer also retains a reasonable amount of 'chew' for those of us treating this vino-typical brew as a wine.

O- I'm glad to have had the opportunity to snag a few of these just to see what the fuss was about, but I don't think this was the beer for me. A very interesting piece of work to sip on, but the flavors here were just too out of balance and overpoweringly sweet to be able to enjoy any more than 6oz or so of this at a time. I understand how difficult it must be to tame a beast of this high alcohol content while juggling the unusual technique of 120 minutes of hopping during a boil, but the impressiveness of the feat doesn't quite make up for the lack of finesse that the brew carries.

4.63/5  rDev +16.9%

A- Hazy copper copper brown, with super thin, barely existent white head, and a lacing on the side of the glass

S- First smell is alcohol burn in the nose, pine, citrus, caramel

T- No hiding the alcohol content on this one. It is right on the forefront. Definitely a sipper. Sweet. Piney, and caramel

M- Thickest Imperial IPA I've had. Viscous. No carbonation. Very full body. Leaves a puckering from the booze, sweetness and bitterness.

O- an excellent beer. Extreme flavors, and they work

With this high alcohol content you would think it would be to much, but oh how it's not. If I hear about this beer being on tap in Dallas, I'm there for the tapping. I love this beer. It pours with a small head but deep caramel color and it just tastes incredible. I also just bought a 4 pack and am aging them at different intervals. I hope everyone can try this beer.

4.07/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

L- Very Attractive burnt orange, amber color. Thin quickly dissipating head

S- Boozy, tingling nose, nice malt and hop balance. Booze kind of overpowers most scent traces.

T- Surprisingly mellow in terms of booze, but still has a distinct burn and alcohol finish. Hops start mostly in the middle and stick through to the finish. Dominated by hops and caramel but still very balanced. Fruit flavors come forward as the beer warms and you sip (and boy is this beer a sipper). A sweetness lingers towards the end from the alcohol that works with the fruity tastes. The "fruit" aspect seems to lack a citrus/tangy flavor that I tend to like in IIPAs, but still a great flavor profile.

F- Chewy mouthfeel. Sticks to the back of your tongue and makes you salivate, which prevents the alcohol and hops from drying out your mouth.

Overall- An easy decision every year to grab. Enjoying this while snowed in and its a perfect late winter beer on a night where you don't need to operate a vehicle or heavy machinery. 90 Minute is still a better IPA in my opinion, but this is a nice and decadent and rich flavored beer to treat yourself with when you can.

2.23/5  rDev -43.7%

OK, let's start with the good things about this beer. The lacing and head were of acaliber that EVERY beer should aspire to obtain. The head was creamy and had a nice flavor, although it's gone now and I didn't write down anything specific that I tasted. The lacing stuck around until I washed out the glass. And that concludes my paragraph on the positive qualities of this beer...

...on to the negatives. For one, this beer is sickeningly sweet. I expected a load of full frontal hoppity and instead got corn syrup in my glass. To be honest, this beer hurts my tastebuds so much that I don't even detect any hops at all. 120 Minute even smells too sweet, and that's saying a lot coming from someone who'll try just about any spiced beer, stout, or "alcopop" (in the right situation) -- all sweet beverages. For another, this beer is extremely alcoholic, and I was beginning to feel it after only about 3 ounces. That's a feature of mixed drinks which I enjoy, but beers should cut me some slack in the drunkenness department.

All in all, I will never buy this beer again, and if I hadn't paid $10 for the bottle, I would have dumped it out.

Wow! Been waitin' a couple of years to try this at least once.
I bought a bottle of this for 8.99 at total wine and more. I poured it into a goblet to really smell this. It smells so sweet but naughty. naughty meaning it smelled strong in alcohol and you knew this was not chuggable. haha!!

Its color was a dark mustard yellow and really no head to speak of. Smell was sweet. Taste was sweet and very alcoholic. Not hoppy like the other ones dogfish has. Actually this beer has a sweet candy taste to it. A tiny bit of sour taste too. This beer you cannot take a swig of and just swallow, it won't let you. Makes your mouth feel like your sucking on a sweet candy. Let me tell you this, the beer after you drink it, you will be feeling mighty warm from the 21% ABV! I shrugged it off at first then pow it hit me.. this is strong stuff!!

As the beer warmed a bit it still enticed you to drink it up even though it was as strong tasting as it was sweet. Kinda neat.

120 Minute IPA from Dogfish Head Craft Brewery