120 Minute IPA | Dogfish Head Craft Brewery

ABV varies from 15-20%.

Added by frank4sail on 03-24-2003

Reviews: 2,287 | Ratings: 8,090
4.28/5  rDev +7.8%

This beer had a deep golden color, with a viscous of a fine dessert wine. Nice lace because it just clings not to carbonated but suites me fine. Not too big on the aroma but still nice. Mouthfeel of a belgian with the sweetness which tapers down the high hops this has in it. It is amazing that this beer is so well balanced for 20.04% abv. This is definately one of the best put together extreme beers on the market.

3.68/5  rDev -7.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

To enjoy this beer, you should know what you are getting yourself into. Beautiful color, very sweet and alchoholy nose, tastes much more like mead or honey. Almost no sign of bitterness you would expect from an imperial ipa. All that said, a very good beer for sipping and sharing, but dont think you'll be tossing a couple of these back on a hot summer day.

4.59/5  rDev +15.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

5oz draft pour into a snifter. I was surprised by the initial foamy white head, but it quickly diminished, as did the lacing as I went. Very drinkable for 18%, but a bit of a mediciny booziness. Worth a try, but at $1 an ounce, not the best bang for the buck in the double/triple ipa category.

4.1/5  rDev +3.3%

Poured into a Bordeaux wine glass.

A - Beautiful, cloudy golden color. Like the 90 min IPA, but cloudy! A bit of similarly colored head when poured, but it disappears quickly.

S - Very hoppy and very apparent, sweet with definite apricot smell.

T - Wow. I wasn't sure if I'd like this one but it is quite good. It is very potent, with a clear taste of peach and apricot. The alcohol jumps out at you, and it has a bit if burn (almost like a mellow scotch). I needed to drink water every so often before proceeding.

M - Burns a bit, which is a bit unpleasant with the slight carbonation.

D - This is a weird one. On one hand, it smells and tastes great, but it hits very hard. The immediate taste is very good, but the burn and lingering aftertaste make it difficult to finish. Have some water breaks!

2.11/5  rDev -46.9%

i have herd alot about this beer

i read the bottle it claims to be the "holy grail for hop heads" all i tasted in this beer was SWEET and BOOZE a little hop after taste but i was truly unimpressed with this beer i really had to struggle to finish it and thats hard for me to do

A true triumph of brewing. Not much else must but said, except for that this beer is of course ideal in draft form in the very very deep dark of a december-feb/march night. It's strong. Be sparing.

2.36/5  rDev -40.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

Well here it is, I fianlly get to taste the covetted 120.

Dark orange hue.

Aroma was purely maltyness, with a faint presence of hops.

The taste had an ethabol bight like none other, and an enourmous presence of dextrins, with very little hop presence.

The body was decent, and had layers of flavors playing off of sherry, and scotch, or a fine brandy. However, this is not what I look for in an IPA.

It was very hard to finish, there was simply too much going on here, I really did not know what to make of it.

I think with the IBU's so much malt was needed, that it became physically impossible to present an true balance, let alone a definite hop presenece.

4.08/5  rDev +2.8%

Dogfish Head never ceases to amaze. The first impression of this brew is as an imperial/double IPA. Fascinated, I swirled around in my glass then took a sip being overwhelmed by my taste buds. This brought about a surprising, yet heated, sensation not expected from the average beer. With an ABV of 18% this brew can catch you off guard, but if you are lucky enough to enjoy this selection then savor the moment!

4.55/5  rDev +14.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Bottled on 09/17/14. I drink few IPAs so I am by no means an expert, but this is an EXCELLENT beer. I really enjoy this one. Hoppiness is not overbearing, but it let's you know it is there. Quite a bit of heat on this one though. Fruity aromas, lemon, orange. These can be detected in the taste as well. I would buy this all the time if it wasn't so expensive, but I'll enjoy this one and the other one I have left.

3.35/5  rDev -15.6%

Orangish-amber in color with a small head that dissipated quickly. This beer has a strong alcohol smell with a slight hint of hops. The taste evolves slightly as the beer warms, but mostly has a strong burning alcohol taste like a barley wine.
Overall this beer does what it should do with an 18% ABV, but doesn't offer much flavor-wise. The bottle says that it is a hop heads' dream, but I am not tasting much hops. I have heard these get better with age, and I have a couple to put back for a later date, so we shall see...

4.02/5  rDev +1.3%

A - beautiful dark amber color, quarter inch head lasted less than a minute

S - grapefruit citrus and malt, alcohol

T - starts sweet, with a rich maltiness dominating, then strong citrusy hops rush in and maintain balance for several LONG minutes before flavor fades. Strong alcohol throughout.

M - almost syrupy, but not quite; very pleasant

Overall - Interesting that Dogfish Head calls this "the holy grail for hopheads" if extreme bitterness is the measure of holiness. The hops come through, but they are so well balanced with the chocolately coffee malt I thought I was drinking a barley wine. The 18% ABV was warming and kicking my butt. Stood up well to a peppered ribeye steak. I'll enjoy this through the winter. A great find!

4.12/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

P: 12 oz bottle, no date on this one, I have an 03 and I know that this one is newer, maybe 04 or 05
A: Copper color, clear, thick head initially dissipates quickly but resumes with a good swirl in a snifter
S: Very nice, sweet and malty up front, I know the hops are there but the alcohol really cuts into what I expected all hop, burns the nasal passages a little
T: Incredibly well balanced, I expected over the top hop, but there is a nice malt backbone to this one, only slightly bitter in the aftertaste, alcohol for sure
M: Slick, that says it all, coats your tongue
D: This is a sipper without question, but you can easily drink the whole bottle...and then take a nap
Notes: Really unexpected IMO, so well balanced, not just out of control hops, really enjoyable. Might make my Christmas Eve lineup for 07.

4.2/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance - Impressive color, almost ruby red. Similar to a Belgian Tripel or something close to that.

Smell - The hoppiness is pretty robust. followed by the sweat smell of maple syrup and citrusy undertones...

Taste - The sweetness from the unfermentable sugars is almost unexpected. its definitly really hoppy but it's very sweet to. with a 18% ABV it's still drinks like a beer.

Mouthfeel - After taking one sip all over my mouth i decided this beer is a little chewy. with that ABV it's kind of expected. very strong and finishes off with a warmness from the alcohol

Final Notes: A very impressive beer, and one that should be taken very seriously. although it is the strongest imperial IPA in the world it's sweetness is very high. the holy grail for hop heads

2.46/5  rDev -38%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into my unibroue tulip glass. Pours a caramelly brown color with a smaller off-white head that recedes quickly.

Smell is very sweet, slightly boozy, with a decent amount of hops.

Taste is very strong. Starts off sweet. A hint of hop bitterness follows that fades away quickly as it's overcome by the sweetness returning, along with a good dose of booziness. There are fruit tastes in the background, and the sweetness is VERY powerful.

Mouthfeel is thick, slick, and very low carbonation. Very syrupy.

Drinkability is low. The taste is very powerful, as is the ABV, so one bottle is more than enough. Would be a perfect bottle to split between 2 or 3 people.

I was really looking forward to this, after loving 60 and 90 minute IPA so much. This is not was I was expecting at all. This is nothing like those beers. I expected a stronger taste, but the hop character I loved in 60 and 90 is not present. This feels more like drinking a liquor than a DIPA.

4.8/5  rDev +20.9%

*This review is intended to both instill anecdotal worship and fear*

I must start my review to stating that after an long arduous day at work I knew that the 120 minute in the fridge was going to be the right option to take the edge off. I must first state that I went into my drink with awe inspiring fear based off a previous experience.

To understand the sense of trepidation I am compelled to explain, at the fledging stages of my craft beer educational a few years ago in a far away land called Delaware and decided nothing would be better than a trip to the Dogfishead Brewery, the brewery was awesome. We did some tasting and tried some new things and upon departure, a white light shined from the heavens and drew me towards the golden pyramid of 120 minute IPA. At junction I had only ever had 60 minute IPA so my logic dictated that if 60 minute IPA was awesome then 120 had to be twice as awesome. So the beer gods guided my hand the register and back home to the hot tub never stopping to read a review or consider the alcohol content could be different.

I cracked open the first 120 around 5pm and before 6pm they were all, gone. I do not recall much of my thoughts on my first tasking but judging by the speed they were extinguished I can safely assume I thoroughly enjoyed them. Shortly after I can only tell you what my companions told me as I do not recall the rest of the events of the evening. Apparently I cooked a steak and some tuna, but unable to tell the difference I added sesame seeds to my steak and A1 to my tuna. Then proceeded to play Jenga was but astonished that the game was obviously rigged as I could not get one block out without the tower toppling to the floor.

The next morning during quite refection and the sound of bongs beating internally in my head I decided to look at the abv to see what happened, 20 percent! yow! I then decided beer math was in order, yikes I drank the equivalent of 20 miller lites in less than an hour. From this moment 120 minute IPA became my great white whale.

Years later I decided the moment had come for Ahab to conquer Moby Dick, and this moment was yesterday evening. With the eurphoria of a kid at Christmas overtaking the underlying sense of fear I dove in.

The color was a milky golden hue indicating a think and robust beer. The aroma had a mild smell of alcohol but was far less than one would assume for such a strong abv. The malt and caramel smells did an amazing job of hiding the strong alcohol content, and the thick frothy head maintained that solid aroma from start to finish. The mouthfeel was smooth as silky and the taste was a balanced melding of sweet malt backbone what strong hops and mild caramel and fruit undertones. The beer was balanced from start to finish, and left you wanting more.

BUT, proceed with caution, this beer is so easy to drink that you may feel "a few more won't hurt" , but this beer will "Cure what ALES ya" and then some!

A must drink!

4.75/5  rDev +19.6%

Another WIN for DFH!!! This one will make your head spin if you drink too many!!! High alcohol content but it is off the charts delicious!!! Go get it and try it, you will NOT be disappointed!!!!

4.42/5  rDev +11.3%

I will put my 2 cents in on this, The Imperial IPA or well the Imperialist IPA/Barlywine Hybrid. With the 21% ABV and the malt balance i do feel it drinks more like a barleywine...But none the less a very good beer.

Appearance: Poured a orange, brownist color with a thin white head

Smell: Very very stong hop aroma strong notes of pine, Floral and citrus. With a sweet malt hints.

Taste: Very balanced hop and malt flavor in the initial taste with a bitting hop and alcohol finish

Mouthfeel: Very oily hop feel and a rich malt character.

Drinkability: Once this beer warmed very drinkable. The alcohol is hidden very very very well and i enjoyed this beer alot. I just wish it wasn't so damned expensive

3.98/5  rDev +0.3%

Poured from a 12 ounce into a pint glass. Comes out a hazy copper with a rocky, tall head. Smells of lots of hops. Tastes - wow. Lots of hops, but sweet and complex. There's a flavor like molasses or something. I don't like hoppy beers, and this is great. Feels thick and smooth on the tongue, hops and sweet all the way down. It's a tad bitter and rich to drink all night, but I could have a Couple.

4.77/5  rDev +20.2%

Can't believe I have reviewed this beer yet. This was the beer that got me into craft beer. This stuff is pretty easy to find, but I remember a few years ago when this was THE FIND. anyways..

A- Pours golden to slightly amber with very little head.

S- Sweet sugar, apricots and subtle citrus hops.

T- This is not an upfront hoppy beer. Its actually very sweet. Very tasty, complex sweetness followed by very tasty, tolerable hops bitterness that stays subtle. Very well done.

M- Very thick, creamy almost syruppy.

D- This is one of the biggest beers, yet it really goes down so easily. This is my favorite beer to share with people who have never tried it. I say, trust me, you won't expect this stuff. The problem is I'm never gonna age this stuff if I keep popping them. So expensive!

4.35/5  rDev +9.6%

Holy smokes. This baby is INTENSE.

A: Foggy honey. Minimal head and lacing, just glorious.

S: Sour apple, hops and as sweet as can be. Not as aromatic as I expected.

T: WOW. EXPLOSION of flavors. AND SMOOTH! What in the heck. This is by far one of the most intense beers Ive had since DFHs Raison D'Extra. Sweet sweet sweet and no alcohol burn until it hits the stomach. Loads of hops and malt, sour apple (NOT CIDER as that would taste terrible, but imagine for a second SOUR APPLE) phenols and did I say hoppy? Make me happy. Oddly enough it doesnt ring IPA to me but more of a strong ale. Probably because Ive never actually chewed on something as hoppy as this. Not bitter at all, mid range smooth and surprisingly just above thin. Wow, no other way to describe it.

M: Very bouncy but it only compliments this brew. Ages well. Not thick and syrupy like some IPAs but definitely not thin. Perfect.

D: All I can say is watch out, buy a bottle and trust me, it will be more than enough. WAY too smooth.

Overall: If you are complaining or rating this puppy low due to "ABV BURN" or the intensity of it then you might as well skip this one and go back to drinking your Blue Moon or oh so flavorful Boston Lager. This thing was made for extremity not for the faint of heart. Confused? Did you expect for a 21% ABV to be light? Maybe you actually have balls and a tongue that exists outside of boring, maybe you should buy it and expect exactly what it is. All in all, one of the most creative IIPAs Ive had in while and definitely worth a try as well as a second buy. GET CRUNK! Thank you Sam.

4.6/5  rDev +15.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

A- Dark Golden Straw with a white head that quickly goes down, but stays there for a while.

S- As soon as I opened the bottle a shot of hops hits me in the face. Once smelling it in the snifter I could get hints of carmel, heavy alcoholic fruit almost like over ripe fruit.

T- Overwhelmed with flavor and alcohol at first. After a few more sips I get that same over ripe fruit(Peaches) flavor coming out with a strong IPA taste.

M- I would say a strong medium carbonation, body feel. Strong Alcoholic fruit shocks you at first.

O- This is what an Imperial IPA should be judge against from now on.

3.53/5  rDev -11.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

High- quality beer but too high octane. Once over 12%... it looses its definition as beer for me. This IPA feels more like a barely wine than an IPA... I think DFH should have quit at the 90- minute... which I would rate much higher. Not worth the premium price for all the other options for solid imperials out there. One-time-buy for me.

4.69/5  rDev +18.1%

I was very excited to pop open this brew. Not only because its the strongest (in terms of ABV) brew I have ever purchased, but also because I knew it would be like molten hops pouring out the bottle....yummy!

First impression, it is a deep copper, almost amber color with a modest white head. Plenty of lacing on the glass. The smell is amazing, very hopy. No hint of alcohol in the smell at all. It tastes equally as good, very sweet, hopy, and spicy. This brew has excellent body, it feels very "full" in your mouth. I would say this is one of the most drinkable brews out there. You are assaulted with amazing smells and tastes with every sip and gulp. At only the halfway point you begin to feel the affects of the alcohol, even though I found it difficult to detect the presence of 21% in the smell or taste. Most brews that are over 10% have a heavy impact in the taste by the alcohol.

This IPA is the holy grail for the hopheads out there...highly recommend this one. It is definitely worth the premium price! Another excellent product from Dogfish Head! (....must finish this review...getting dizzy...drank too fast..but soo good...)

4.94/5  rDev +24.4%

Appearance: head dissipates quickly, golden in color

Smell: Hops! floral spice - notes of honeysuckle and sugar

Taste: Wow. Very similar to a barleywine, but much more intense. If someone told you it was a Caramel liquor, you'd likely believe it. Incredible flavor with a ton of complexity. The alcohol is present, but not overpowering

Mouth feel: a sweet attack that coats your tongue. There is a long, hoppy finish.

Overall: This is a powerful beer - much closer to a fine whiskey than a beer. This one is defines what a "sipper" is - no sane person would drink a whole bottle in an evening. Fantastic!

4.43/5  rDev +11.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

L - Beautiful amber. Cloudy, almost opaque. Thin head dissipates quickly.

S - Alcohol, caramel and pine.

T - Amazingly malty for an IPA. Drinks closer to a barleywine but remains balanced by the extreme hoppiness buried within. Definite alcohol burn at the end.

F - Solid mouth feel, almost closer to that of a stout than an IPA. Mouth feel almost dissipates due to the high APV.

O - Insanity in a bottle. Malt, hops, burn and repeat.

120 Minute IPA from Dogfish Head Craft Brewery