Welcome to BeerAdvocate!

Looking to talk, rate or trade beer? Join today by creating your free account.

Love Belgian Beer?

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

ABV varies from 15-20%.

Added by frank4sail on 03-24-2003

Reviews: 2,222 | Ratings: 7,900

Wow! Been waitin' a couple of years to try this at least once.
I bought a bottle of this for 8.99 at total wine and more. I poured it into a goblet to really smell this. It smells so sweet but naughty. naughty meaning it smelled strong in alcohol and you knew this was not chuggable. haha!!

Its color was a dark mustard yellow and really no head to speak of. Smell was sweet. Taste was sweet and very alcoholic. Not hoppy like the other ones dogfish has. Actually this beer has a sweet candy taste to it. A tiny bit of sour taste too. This beer you cannot take a swig of and just swallow, it won't let you. Makes your mouth feel like your sucking on a sweet candy. Let me tell you this, the beer after you drink it, you will be feeling mighty warm from the 21% ABV! I shrugged it off at first then pow it hit me.. this is strong stuff!!

As the beer warmed a bit it still enticed you to drink it up even though it was as strong tasting as it was sweet. Kinda neat.

4.1/5  rDev +3.5%

I had this beer about three hours before Montell came into the room with a bottle of Wild Irish Rose...We went to see Les Savy Fav that night, and oh what a night. Folks, if you want to let your hair down on a Sunday night, the 120 will make sure you see pleasure far before pain. Extremely balanced, as we've come to know dogfish on the left coast. I think there was citrus on the nose, and some big malt backbone to take her on home. And then my ex said I hit Montell with a keyboard on the way out, but I don't think she's trustworthy....after all, she kicked me out right before Oktoberfest and what sort of person does that to a guy she says she "loves"? I mean, come on, what kind of schizophrenic pedantic childish woman does something like that?

Light hop finish. One for the ages.

2.9/5  rDev -26.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

A. Nice color and very cloudy when poured cold, No head and no carbonation. There was a last drizzle of color as i poured the bottle into my glass.

S. Paint thinner and honey ( I was assured this was normal).

T. Sweet with a bite. I liked it more than I though I would after the initial smell. However, I don't know if I overhyped it in my mind.

M. No carbonation

D. The experience was just too complex for me. Too many flavors mixing with alcohol. I suppose I could develop a taste for this beer overtime, but found the experience overwhelming from a beer drinking perspective.

Pours into my cigar city snifter, a deep orange.., thin head dissapates quick to a thin white lace.

smells sweet, citrusy hops, sharp twinge to the nose letting you know.." this may burn a little"

full body.. malty.. Hop Syrup is a good description for mouthfeel.

Tastes sweet like a well aged bourbon whiskey.. nice alcohol backbone..

Very good.. Much better at room temp. I am speechless. Hop liquor... hop syrup... umm...Cheers Sam.

4.33/5  rDev +9.3%

Poured from a bottle into a snifter. Already enjoyed first half of bottle...on to second half...

A great looking beer. Poured a rich orange color with a huge, creamy head. Color of head was similar to that of vanilla ice cream. Lots of tiny, sparkling bubbles rising up to form a sheet of foam on the top of the beer throughout the session.

For me, the aroma was mostly grains. I got a strong whif of rice similar to how sake smells - with undertones of hops. Also noted the fumes from the high ABV.

The taste was a total 180 from what I was expecting. I imagined I'd taste a fruity, hop-centric beer, but instead found the taste was mostly malty and VERY sweet. I found the sweetness to be similar to that of chocolate...lots of toffee/caramel flavors with the slightest bitterness. Also reminded me a lot of a dessert wine, brandy or rum...especially when you consider the high ABV. I thought the alcohol would be much more pronounced than it was, but it seemed to have been mellowed out by the rich flavors.

Mouthfeel was unlike anything I've ever tasted. Moderate carbonation, but much creamier than other IPAs. Creamy and smooth all the way down.

Overall, I really enjoyed this offering from Dogfish Head. I'm a loyal follower of the brewery, and I expected nothing less. The complex flavors - while not as hoppy as I expected - were nonetheless satisfying and saturated the palate. Flavors were not TOO overwhelming, though. I'm looking forward to trying the 2nd bottle I bought in a year or two...depends on how long I can hold out...to see how the flavors develop and change with age!

4.75/5  rDev +19.9%

As good as billed. Beautiful orange color; piney and citrusy nose; great mouthfeel and surprisingly gentle taste despite the massive hoppiness and 18% abv. Loved it!

2.43/5  rDev -38.6%

Single bottle 12 oz – 2004. From bottle shop in Boston. Served cold, at about 58 degrees.

Pours a light golden with hints of amber. Looks like a fairly average beer in it’s body – not like most other DIPA’s I’ve made or tasted. Decent lacing, small head.

Good strong smell of hops in the nose, but overpowering all else is the waft of alcohol. Wow! Yes, it is 20%, and yes, you can sense it coming. Very unlike the WWS, which I thought hid the abv well in both the nose and the taste.

Ok, the taste – if this were meant to be a barleywine or a brandy, I’d give it higher marks. I felt like I was drinking grain alcohol mixed with beer. Syrup texture belies the look of the beer, and the sweet residual taste brings much more alcohol (yes, MORE) but not much of a hops finish. Disappointing in that regard. As it warmed, more flavors became apparent - took me 2.5 hours to finish this 12 oz beer - and there was a nuance or two that came forward but nothing that made me think it was better 2.5 hours later.

I do not think I would purchase another bottle at this price point. I do especially like the 90 min IPA, but find the 60 and the 120 lacking in different respects. For me DFH is very hit and miss for my palate.

4.32/5  rDev +9.1%

Having had the 60 and 90 minute versions, I was eager to try the big daddy and was so glad I did.

This had a great concentrated orange color, with a thick head which thinned quickly. Again, probably more my glass than the beer.

I smelled all of the hoppiness I would have expected in what I think is a DIPA: citrus and pine, and an overally spiciness that bordered on red pepper (cayenne-ish), balanced by a hint of malt in the background.

The taste was exactly the opposite of what I expected. It was hugely sweet; sugar, sweet fruit with a tang (think pineapple). A massive concentrated sweetness of lighter sugars (not deep fruit like a British Brown Ale), with some hop presence on a spicier note, like pepper. It finished with a big alcohol warmth, but less "fumey" than I would expect.

On the mouthfeel, again, it was a big alcohol warmth after the mouth-caoting sweetness. I'd classify it as medium bodied; just a hint of thickness from the sweetness of the beer.

Overall, I'd drink it again. Just once though...21% is quite a haul if I want any other beers on that given day!

3.32/5  rDev -16.2%

Served in a snifter, my first taste of this famous and infamous brew.

A: A dark copper-orange color, which is quite pretty. No head to speak of, naturally.

S: Interestingly, when I smelled first out of the bottle, I smelled only hops, and I was really excited. When I poured into the snifter, it really came alive, and not entirely in a better way. Some very strong paint-thinner edge, which is essentially the primary aroma.

T: Extremely sweet up front, tastes an orange-lemon-hop syrupy extract. It is a little bitter on the finish, but no nearly enough to balance the crazy sweetness. I do like some things about it though, and the taste is definitely more agreeable than the aroma to me, as the paint-thinner parts were able to translate to non-paint-thinner flavors.

M: Extraordinarily slick and syrupy, yet I wouldn't say it is undercarbonated at all. In fact considering what the 21% ABV might predict in regards to carbonation I'd say the carb levels are much higher than expected, and I think that is important and helps the beer a great deal.

D: Drinkability is probably the most subjective category, because there isn't really a good definition to go off of in the first place. Can I drink it? Definitely, it tastes good and I paid a premium for it. Can I (or anyone really) have more than one? Very unlikely, not to mention I paid a premium for it. But considering the extremity of the beer, I think drinkability is average.

A very interesting beer. If I didn't dislike the aroma so much, I think I really would have liked it. Maybe next time I'll leave it in the bottle ;)

3.73/5  rDev -5.8%

Bottle date 11/06/08

Poured into Mug (sorry)

Light amber color with very little head. It quickly dissipated to almost nil. Small amount of lacing.

Smell of crushed wildflowers and thyme.

Very heavy, and a bit chewy. Certainly hangs around for awhile on the tongue.

Flavors of honey, lemon and cardamon. Moderate to heavy sweetness, with the alcohol coming in heavy toward the end.

A tad too sweet for my taste buds. Still a happy experience. I stop at one. But, will definitely have it again.

3.85/5  rDev -2.8%

Ever heard of "The Big Texan?" A dining challenge whose centerpiece is 72 ounces of cow? One really doesn't enjoy that, they conquor it. It's a different way of looking at dining, eating for the CHALLENGE as opposed to eating for enjoyment.

It's similar with DfH 120: You don't really enjoy this $10 concoction that has the same alcohol content of five Budweisers; you conquor it. In my case, you conquor it with the help of a friend.

Pouring it out I am slammed with the smell of pine and hops. Alcohol smells, barely noticable in more pedestrian beers, overwhelm the rest of the smell.

Head is minimal to moderate, but I think that may of been the way I poured it. Banding, on the other hand was the heaviest I have ever seen in a beer.

The taste was quite carmel sweet, a lot sweeter than what I thought it would be. THe hops were extreme and mainly pine-y hops, but it was considerably less bitter than most barleywines I have had. I think the heavy, sweet body compensated for it.

I have to talk about the alcohol in a seperate note: It's heavy. You notice it in the smell, at the front, middle and back of the tongue, in the top of your throat to the stomach. It turns this beer from a "drinking" beverage to a "sipping" drink. The hops are so extreme as well that this combines to a beer that you can only take a few sips every two or three minutes at a time. In short, the drinkability of this beer is nonexistant.

Yes, I conquored it. Will I drink it again? Only if I have the whole night to dedicate to it!

3.26/5  rDev -17.7%

Appearance: Considering how dark the DFH 90 Minute IPA poured, I expected the 120 Minute to be even darker. My assumption was wrong. It pours a very nice dark yellow color with only the faintest amount of pale white head. Because of the insane viscosity alone in this beer, there is quite a bit of lacing and sheer heaviness that coats the side of the glass.

Smell: Two of my good friends joined me to drink this one - and for good reason. As we held the glass up to our nose for the first time we all laughed out loud. This is an INSANE "beer." I mean, wow! The first thing that came to our mind was model glue or sticking your nose in a bag full of freshly-purchased pungent hops. This is unquestionably the most intense smelling beer you're going to find. I imagine it's the most intense beer you're going to find...period!

Taste: The laughs continued because holy hell this is a monstrous beer. Taking my first sip was like taking my first leap off the high dive at the pool - I was hesitant to say the least. There's no question what hits your mouth first - HOPS, HOPS, HOPS, HOPS, and more HOPS! And when I say hops, I mean the most intense essence of hops you can find. If you could somehow liquefy strong hops into a gold liquid (oh wait, it's been done).

Mouthfeel: The DFH 120 has about the same consistency as Sauternes. If you can imagine how a hop liqueur would feel on the tongue, then you're about halfway there. There is a lot of body and sweetness that coats the mouth and tongue and holds on like there's no tomorrow. Makes you wonder why it's not called a Quadruple IPA. Maybe one day...

Overall: We had a lot of fun drinking this beer and enjoyed the insane bitch slap we got from the hops. However, this is a beer that should not be taken seriously. What I mean by this is that there is no way anyone should want to drink this on a regular basis. It is extreme beyond belief. I will definitely search for another one to keep as a conversation piece the next time I get together with other hop lovers, but in no way see it as one of the better IPAs out there.

4.39/5  rDev +10.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

As a hophead, this is my perfect pallet wrecking brew. The hops punch you in the face the moment this huge beer passes your lips. Be careful because the 18+ ABV will kick you in the face faster than a pissed off mule. Grab a few if you can drink half and store the rest. This year beer much better than your ex.

3.58/5  rDev -9.6%

Had on tap at the new Sugar Maple bar in Milwaukee. There is no way this beer should be considered an IPA.

Appearance
Poured with a 3 finger offwhite head into a tulip glass. Deep orange/amber body (it was pretty dark so it was hard to evaluate the appearance).

Smell
Lot of things in play here. Orange peel, coariander, some hops and a bit of astringent alcohol.

Taste
What the hell is this? I can't figure out the style at all but it certainly doesn't fit in the IPA category. I get lemon, orange peel, with a pineapple syrup punch in the middle (or maybe sweet and sour sauce). Alcohol in the finish.

Mouthfeel
Heaviest bodied IPA I've ever had. When the pineapple hits it literally feels like a syrup of sorts in your mouth. Not much in the way of carbonation.

Drinkability
I'm a bit put off with how sweet and big the beer is and one is definitely enough (especially with the abv). If the sweetness was toned down a bit this could be a great beer, but my taste buds just took too long to recover from their immersion. It's a unique experience that everyone should try but I won't be purchasing another for quite awhile.

4.33/5  rDev +9.3%

I bought this beer from Florida Wine & Spirits in Viera, FL

Wow, color was a cloudy amber and the aroma was that or pears/peach and of course that sweet after.

It was very mouthy (clinged to the side of my mouth for a long time) and was very distinctive.

ABV is said to at or about 18% but I think it was higher and the label state that it can be laid down for a time only to get a higher ABV.

Product sold very quickly at a price tag of $10.99 for a 12 oz bottle.

Beer geeks should buy a least 1 to try, 2 to keep.

Chris P

4.28/5  rDev +8.1%

Poured into chalice

Darker in color and with less head that I expected.

Interesting IPA without an overpowering hops flavor. Subtle sweet flavor to the beer and because of the high alcohol content very warming. However I would say it hides the alcohol very well in that the alcohol taste is not overwhelming. Like others have said it is a sipping beer that will hit fast compared to most beers. Very smooth and flavorful and overall I very much recommend it.

4.17/5  rDev +5.3%

Had a few different years, first year was a bad bottle(either from brewery or maybe light expose killed some yeast) but I gave it another try and was very impressed. Also have had it on Tap and was at its best.

Sharp and crisp, sweet and a floral with out to much bitterness.
Hides alcohol well.

3.83/5  rDev -3.3%

This beer is insane!! Poured nicely with a huge head in my snifter. Dark orange no clarity! As soon as I poured it I can smell the Alkyhol!! Can finish a bottle on my own but can't wait see what some age will do to this beer! The hops bite my palate with every sip! This beer is too boozy to figure it out!

4.8/5  rDev +21.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

A: Amber, Jurassic park type color. Crawled all over the glass

S: Boozy cocktail. The first time I 120'd all I could think was Grand Marnier + soda. There's more going on here, though. There's definitely bourbon'y flavors, not too much sweetness or vanilla which I hate, but a <great> counter to the booze.

T: Sickly sweet, bourbon over soda all the way. There's

M: = It really makes me think of a crown+ginger more than anything else. I'm a Hop person, but this is just straight booze, sweetness, (light) smoke, etc. Grand Marnier is also in the picture.

O: This IS a cocktail, letting it sit in a glass whilst doing other stuff is how to drink this. It develops before you open it, in the glass, and as you enjoy it. GREAT beer, in my opinion.

4.42/5  rDev +11.6%

Upon opening this bottle the strong odor of alcohol was mask slightly by a fruity, pleasant aroma. I poured it without expecting a head, yet one appeared. I was surprised by its creamy and foggy color.

The robust flavor of hops is present from start to finish. This was an enjoyable beer that I would purchase again. It’s not too often a high concentrate of alcohol (20%) tastes this smooth. A super, nice beer to start the evening with .

Ok, this beer has lived up to expectations on taste, as so many that i have sought out have not. About 20% it had a bite of alcohol but not as harsh as you would expect. Aroma would wonderful, a very mild fresh hops. Not overwhelming. Mouth feel was a little heavier than a normal IPA, but again strong and aged likely were the thanks to that.

I was lucky enough to share a bottle with a good brew buddy that had been aging it for a year or more. So I don't know how much that change the flavor profile.
Cheers to you Dogfish

3.17/5  rDev -19.9%

A: This brew poured a thick looking bronze color with a 1 inch foam head that left quickly. Left very little lacing, if any. If I wouldn't of known...it looks fairly quenching...NOT!

S: Apricots, sour apple with very sweet and malty characteristics. Smells sweet and sticky! The ABV even by nose is almost obnoxious. This just barks alcohol!

T: Not horrible- but personally not a fan and I truly like IPA's. This is a little much unless you're drinking one after a meal as a desert drink! Not as hoppy as it is sweet and sticky! It just coats your mouth. The more you drink of it, the more you feel the tongue coat with a sour apple, honey type sweetness...as well as a step closer to feeling like crap in the morning. It has a very, very strong, sweet aftertaste!

M: Substantial, syrupy, heavy, full bodied with a very high ABV present. Almost a cider type.

D: Honestly- hell no!! 1-2 of these and you're done or you're screaming in the morning. It's just too sweet and syrupy. No way and heck I could or would sit down with this as a session beer.

I'm a huge fan of Dogfish and have been wanting to try this and would of regardless purely based on reputation and chatter. I love the 60 Minute, the 90 minute was walking a thin line with me... but a great beer; and this 120 Minute...too much!! A good beer though if that makes any sense.

Not the best review from me...but still a huge fan of the Dogfish Head Brewery!!

4.58/5  rDev +15.7%

A: Mahogany, toffee, pours very viscous, lots of lacing
S: Cherry, dry oaky, prune, raison, nuts, pistachio, almond, a bit boozy
T: Pine nuts, boozy but not hot, drinks like a port, lots of cherry, very sweet but not cloying, appropriate for what you're drinking
M: very viscous, well carbonated, drinks like a port or sherry
O: this is an incredible beer. it was bottled at the first part of 2011 and we opened it half way through 2013. having had a fresh 120 on tap as well as in a bottle I would say this brew takes on a style of its own a part from an IPA. We did not note ANY hop character what so ever, but many different types of sweet tastes.

All in all this brew is stupendous, which is why I pick up a 4 pack every time it comes out.

can't wait to open an even older one!

4.29/5  rDev +8.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Poured into Good Nature snifter. Picked one up for $10.50

A: gorgeous copper color. Minimal, one finger head.

S: not much going on in the nose. Pick some up some malty and boozy notes. Nothin really shining here.

T: a pleasant surprise here. Sweetness upfront, with a nice caramel malt backbone. A roasted malt flavor balenced well with the hops which are boldly, but not overpoweringly present throughout. Honey and citrus are other flavors i picked up, maybe even vanilla and molasses as well. Dogfish did well balancing a beer that could have easily gotten out of their control. Bravo.

M: I think this is where the beer especially shines. A medium body with a solid amount of carbonation. Nothing too bubbly and overwhelming. Pretty great here.

O: I told myself I wasnt gonna like this one and I was absolutely wrong. Will pick up another bottle and maybe try aging it for a year or two if I'm feeling frisky. The beer is really well balenced between hops and malt, with the 15%+ alc. not playing a huge factor in enjoyment, at least in a negative respect. Would recommend for the avg. hophead to at least give it a shot, who knows?.... You might be pleasantly surprised.

4.62/5  rDev +16.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

If whiskey were a beer, basically. The first beer I've tried that's this massive. It was legendary before I had the opportunity to sip, and it really tastes more or less like I would expect it to: the alcohol of a rich red wine, the balanced malt-and-hop-bitterness of the 90 minute IPA, but highly refined. The only strike against this beer is that it is so refined as to be unbeerlike in nearly every way.

Had a Westmalle Tripel after this, and actually think that was better, despite love-love-loving IPAs and Dogfish Head.

Still, not complaining one bit. This was a once in a lifetime opportunity, and I savored every drop of it. Not sure how much it would set me back to fund the tasting myself (the fellow who shared it got it from a friend himself), but I'd be willing to buy it to share the experience with the uninitiated.

120 Minute IPA from Dogfish Head Craft Brewery