120 Minute IPA | Dogfish Head Craft Brewery

ABV varies from 15-20%.

Added by frank4sail on 03-24-2003

Reviews: 2,270 | Ratings: 8,050
4.05/5  rDev +2%

6-month-old bottle from the June 2012 batch, appropriately poured into a DFH tulip.

A - Pours a burnt-caramel with a two-finger head that lingers about for a full 3 minutes, until the first sip is taken. HUGE amount of constantly-effervescent carbonation, proving that this beer still needs quite a bit of age to truly mellow and reach its' true potential.

S - Notes more akin to a Barleywine than an IPA, with hints of cognac-esque sweetness, and inherent fruitiness. Hops take a backseat, which is strange, but we all know that Sam does things a little differently at DFH. Also Toasty rye and barley malts and caramel, showing that the hops aren't the only star of this monster beer.

T - Creaminess and lighter hop-notes start the palate off, followed by more Cognac sweetness, and some mango and dates. I'm pretty sure that Mr. Calagione brewed some fruit into this one, on top of the candy sugar, because it's just too darned fruity to think otherwise. There is also some inherent dryness to the mid-palate, with the malts complimenting the loony shenanigans that is the whole of this beer, which, once again, IMHO, could use more age. Lucky me, I still have another bottle to hold on to for 6+ months.

M - Lively effervescence, creamy notes, and a lingering acidity round this Barleywine-like beast out well. Once again, NEEDS AGE. (The label doesn't lie...)

O - A nice treat for all the senses, at any time, holding in consideration that you don't have anything important to do, like operating heavy machinery, or taking care of a small human. And for the love of all that is holy, DON'T DRINK ONE AND DRIVE!!! Just by volume, this beer (This batch) is equal to a little over 4 Bud Lights in alcohol, or 2 shots of Jagermeister. It can do things to you, most of which are nice, if you (as previously mentioned) don't have anything pressing to do. Great with a Don Collins Rum-Dipped Cigarillo (From Viejo San Juan, Puerto Rico.... Look them up online, order some of their cigars and RUM, and thank me later!), or some applewood smoked Jerk chicken. I love this beer. If you don't, you haven't had it yet. CHEERS!!!

4.58/5  rDev +15.4%

Poured into a snifter and received a real nice head that stuck strong for a few minutes. Beautiful copper tone on this one. Once the head settles out, a little ring is left and the foam just sticks to the sides. No visible chunks on the first pour but not completely clear either.

The aroma is very floral and sweet like nectar. Fruity hop tones come through nicely. Orange peel...

The taste: Surprisingly sweet... Fruity and floral hop notes dance with the sweet maltiness. Sour oranges. Fresh green herbal notes. A touch of cough syrup. Biscuit. Caramel. The finish is complex with hops and dries the palate, leaving you wanting more. A nice warmth from the ethanol on the roof of the mouth is there but not overpowering. The carbonation plays an important role here, leaving a dry, crisp finish.

Dangerously drinkable! This one was bottled just over a month ago, and is much hoppier than I remember the last one I had, which must have been quite aged. This one is quite hoppy, but very balanced with the sweetness and the alcohol. I am stocking up on this batch!

3.51/5  rDev -11.6%
look: 3 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

"What just happened?" I asked out loud as I took my first sip of this concoction and coughed. The aroma smells as if I'm homebrewing in my kitchen, but a full night of brewing was crammed into one bottle. I think I may have just smacked my mama. I have never had anything like this before. Not for the faint of heart or palate. If you don't like hops, stay the hell away fron anyone even drinking this, but if you're a big IPA fan, and I mean a fan of big IPAs not a big fan, take the plunge. You'll never forget it. Drinkability, however is a little down because I think I may have trouble getting through this one beer.

4.43/5  rDev +11.6%

This is a 2006 120 min. IPA poured into my brand new DFH goblet glass. It is almost 5 years old to the day. I can't tell if the born on date is 12/13 or 12/18/2006.

Look: A darker brownish/cherry color, off white head is small and falls into the brew quite fast. It certainly doesn't look like any other IPA. There is a good amount of cloudiness too.

Smell: It has a distinct hop resin scent with some honey, caramel, and dark fruit notes as well. It's strong and quite impressive. There is also a subtle hint at the potent alcohol content of the brew. As it warms it almost has an anise aroma.

Taste: There is a bit of a burnt caramel and cherry kind of flavor up front that develops into a more hoppy bitterness. The hops are kind of earthy at this point. It's kind of an odd toasty bitterness with a bit of citrus and an alcohol kick to finish it off. Despite the citrus hop bitterness, the overall taste is really sweet. I really wish I had a young bottle to compare side by side with this five year old bottle.

Feel: It actually has a pretty nice smooth, silky feel. There is definitely a bit of stickiness too.

Overall: This is the second bottle of 120 that I have had. The first was a much younger bottle and I don't remember much about it except that the flavor was too much for me. The sweetness was far too overpowering and while there is still a good amount of sweetness now, it's not as bad. This is a much more mellow and mature flavor that I really enjoy. The aroma and tastes are the real highlights for me. It is very unique. It also goes down surprisingly quick for such a high alcohol beer. I give it a 4.5 overall because it is such a unique smell and flavor, but I suspect that is because of the age and that a younger 120 would get a slightly lower score.

Date: 12/17/2011
Serving: 12 oz bottle in DFH goblet

4.43/5  rDev +11.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

L - Beautiful amber. Cloudy, almost opaque. Thin head dissipates quickly.

S - Alcohol, caramel and pine.

T - Amazingly malty for an IPA. Drinks closer to a barleywine but remains balanced by the extreme hoppiness buried within. Definite alcohol burn at the end.

F - Solid mouth feel, almost closer to that of a stout than an IPA. Mouth feel almost dissipates due to the high APV.

O - Insanity in a bottle. Malt, hops, burn and repeat.

4.32/5  rDev +8.8%

Had this just last weekend when I made a quick trip to Vegas. Found it at the Burger Bar in Mandalay Place late Saturday night.

A - Copper color with a thin whispy white head that quickly dissipated.

S - Hops, moderate alcohol and a surprising port like character.

T - More malt than hops with a bright blast of hoppiness. Like the nose, port like in character and warming. Quite pleasant!

M - Much more like a cognac or brandy than a beer.

D - Surprisingly for an 18% beer it was pretty tasty. Getting the whole bottle down by myself was not happening. I took the last few ounces in a to go cup (I love Vegas!) and woke my wife up with it in the hotel room.

Overall it was a great experience and I did not even blink at the $18 it cost me. I would probably enjoyed this a bit more if I had found it earlier in the evening!

4.5/5  rDev +13.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

This is one of the best big beers I have ever had. It comes off very strong like a barley wine, but then you feel the tingle of the hops on your tounge. This beer was a nice amber and the foamy head stuck around and left a nice lace on the glass. The smell was blissful. The taste was a deep round big beer flavor with an aftertaste of firey hops. Before you know it you can feel your tongue going numb. I could definately drink these on a regular basis however I paid $8.99 for a 12oz bottle and it is not available where I live so lucky for me I won't be going broke any time soon. However the next time I am out and about and I run across this sucker I may buy the entire stock. I highly suggest and congrats to those who have had the opportunity to enjoy. This is definately for the experienced beer drinker.

3.13/5  rDev -21.2%

What the hell was that?!? I don'r know what I was expecting but this was an interesting drink. I could taste the 21% from the first sip which is not a good thing since I was hoping the complexity of the beer could mask it a bit better. I would not call this beer an IPA so not sure how to rate it. It is very, very sweet and not at all bitter. I could not finish the whole bottle by myself but not from the strength of the beer bbut from the sweet, syrupy mouthfeel. I love the Dogfish and most of the brews I have had but this was a bit much for me.

4.15/5  rDev +4.5%

12 oz. bottle. Bottled on date a little rubbed off but I think it says 9/29/06.

A: Nice coppery orange color, cloudy with lots of very fine carbonation rising through it. Not much head.

S: I'm not sure if something can smell syrupy but this does. Smells of lime, alcohol, raisins, dates, not nearly as hoppy as I expected. No floral or grass-like aromas from all that dry-hopping.

T: Again does not really taste like an IPA. Very complex flavors, lots of alcohol, reminds me a lot of a tawny port or other fortified dessert wine. Sweet sugary flavors and dried fruits dominate. Finally some hop flavor at the end.

M: Very good mouthfeel. Syrupy, really coats the mouth. Bitterness kicks in a bit, but less than expected.

D: Definitely a sipping beer. It becomes harder to drink as it warms due to the alcohol, even if more flavors start to emerge.

An extreme brew, no doubt about it.

3.95/5  rDev -0.5%

Received in a trade with hayesez. Thanks for the great beer. Poured from a bottle dated 02-09-09 into the DFH signature glass. This is my second bottle of this, the last one i had i few months ago was a 2006 vintage. I will try my best to compare them since that review was deleted with the site crash. I rated the 06 higher than this, as i did enjoy it a good bit more. On to the review.

A: Pours a golden amber, slightly hazy, with about 1/2" white head. The head does not stay very long, and leaves only the slightest lacing. To be expected from 18+abv.

S: As soon as I opened the bottle I immediately smelled the hops. Now that I am giving it a few more sniffs in the glass, it is more fruity and alchohol then hops. Peach, apple and caramel? Smells delicious, but not like an IPA of any kind, but just as i say that, here come the hops again... citrusy. If i recall correctly the 06 had more of a good cognac or rum smell to it.

T: I don't know if my palate just isn't that great yet but this one is difficult for me. It is not the hop bomb bitterness that you would expect. Very sweet... carmel, maple sweetness at the end. At first i believe it is from the malts, but the alcohol definitely lends it's giant hand. The alcohol is there, but not really hot and for sure not overpowering. I think the biggest characteristic the alcohol gives is the sweetness. I am trying to figure out where those hops went. Again not bitter in any way, i only get hints of the citrusy hops but they are outplayed by the sweetness. As it warms the alcohol gets a little warmer too, or maybe it is because i've had half the glass now. The 2006 reminded me almost exactly of Pyrat rum if any of you have had it.

M: Silky smooth, and more carbonation then you would think coming from a beer like this. I don't recall what the 06 felt like.

D: Wow... this is 18%+? Really? Goes down very easy. About halfway through it is starting to kick in, i think two would have made this review much more interesting.

3.77/5  rDev -5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: Cloudy golden color, nice looking white head.

S: Smells like fresh grapefruit, a little pine but mostly citrus. As the beer warms up more of the malts come through.

T: You taste the booze right away, gives way to a bitter citrus flavor. The after taste is pure oranges and grapefruit.

M: Slightly acidic. Crisp. Surprisingly light-medium bodied.

O: Not what I was expecting at all. Balanced yet hoppy. Alcoholic yet smooth. Still not sure what to think of this beer, but it is definitely something I would recommend to someone who likes hops and wants something unique. Warning on the alcohol: I had to split this one with my girlfriend.

4.8/5  rDev +20.9%

This beer is a real treat.

Its golden appearance entices you to take a wiff. The smell: sweet hops and booze. The taste is sweet, fruity, boozy, and of course HOPS! I love the mouthfeel; its low carbonation makes this feel more like a hop liquor than a beer. Overall, I recommend EVERY hop head taste this beer. But be warned, it's not for everyone. Cheers!

4.27/5  rDev +7.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

what you would expect from a continuously hopped boil for two hours. Dry hopped for one month. Intense everything: nose, taste and mouthfeel. 18% abv nice copper color.

Definitely a swirler, sipper. Take about ten-thirty minutes to get through a 12 ozer. Share with a friend if possible. Is this beer or port like beverage? Beyond barleywine.

Not much carbonation, head, legs, etc....it doesn't need it. Improves as warms; opens up the apricot, peach citrusy taste. 120 IBU's

Someone said relaxing; I agree

3.9/5  rDev -1.8%

Bottled 1/14/2015 - right about a year old. Pours a hazy red-orange with minimal white head --- looks more like a Tree House IPA than I was expecting. Smell is boozy and sweet - not much hop aroma, more like a barleywine. Taste is similar, with definite sweet and boozy notes, but more bitter than a traditional barleywine - hops still coming through here, a little pine. Still, I wouldn't guess IIPA here. Pretty well carbonated for a year old beer - nice mouthfeel. Glad to try it but not my style.

4.75/5  rDev +19.6%

Bought and opened same day, poured at fridge temp and allowed to warm up a bit.

A: Gold-orange. Slightly hazy with a sticky head leaving lace all the way down the wall. Really attractive colors coming through

S: Hops and more Hops, nearly overpowering. Some tropical fruits on the nose, as well as something not so sweet. Onion? More wafts bring sweet caramel.

T: Oh my god the sugars, its so sweet! like liquid candy, caramel and bread mixed. The word "cloying" comes to mind but NOT in a bad way. Definitely a sipper. Then the hops, they assault the senses and make you wrinkle your nose, again, NOT in a bad way. As it hits the throat, alcohol makes itself known. Spicy and warm all the way down to the belly.

M: Big, Bold, and Chewy. More of a mouthful that some of the best barleywines

O: A remarkable beer, and fantastic experience. I have two more aging for future enjoyment.

4.2/5  rDev +5.8%

This was my first "big ale." When I purchased the single bottle I had no clue the strength of it. I was extremely surprised by the high alcohol content but found it pleasant. The orange and corriander taste was very arromatic and to my liking. IPA are one of my favorite styles and this one seems to be a real granddaddy.

2.98/5  rDev -24.9%

warning: 21% alcohol by volume! foggy ruby in glass... aroma is off-the-charts sweet and alcoholic... taste is again very sweet, with fruity hops, and a staggering amount of alcohol... oily mouthfeel.

obviously an extreme beer, but better than expected. probably not worth the $10 you have to shell out for it though...

4.13/5  rDev +4%

I have long considered 120 to be a real treat and usually order it when it's on tap. Lately though, I've been dissappointed with its quality on tap. This has always been a nice, deep, copper/amber color with good clarity. Lately though, it has been served very cloudy, almost milky in color.

This problem doesn't seem to affect the taste or aroma, though, and I've always been impressed with Dogfish's ability to make this beer. True, it has tons of alcohol sweetness but that is balanced by almost unfathomable proportions of hop flavor and aroma. I'm constantly amazed that a beer this strong can still resemble beer.

4.8/5  rDev +20.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

A: Amber, Jurassic park type color. Crawled all over the glass

S: Boozy cocktail. The first time I 120'd all I could think was Grand Marnier + soda. There's more going on here, though. There's definitely bourbon'y flavors, not too much sweetness or vanilla which I hate, but a <great> counter to the booze.

T: Sickly sweet, bourbon over soda all the way. There's

M: = It really makes me think of a crown+ginger more than anything else. I'm a Hop person, but this is just straight booze, sweetness, (light) smoke, etc. Grand Marnier is also in the picture.

O: This IS a cocktail, letting it sit in a glass whilst doing other stuff is how to drink this. It develops before you open it, in the glass, and as you enjoy it. GREAT beer, in my opinion.

4.9/5  rDev +23.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

Best IPA I have had yet. Hoppy smooth taste and the high alcohol content doesn't really hit you until much later. I would never have guessed how strong this one was.

4.22/5  rDev +6.3%

Poured a hazy honey color, with a thick foamy head. Nice lacing on glass.

Smelled very very hoppy, smelled just like fresh hops. As a homebrewer, this is a delightful smell.

Tasted at first, quite hoppy (citrus and spice especially), but was surprisingly sweet. The outragous alcohol content was nicely masked. Indeed a very big beer.

Sort of thick in the mouth, hiding the alcohol (considering its 20+%, impossible to hide, but you know what I mean).

Drinkability is a hard one. Its good enough to keep drinking, but you wouldn't want to drink too many. A 12 oz of this is like 6oz of vodka. A little goes a long ways.

4.35/5  rDev +9.6%

This beer poured beautifully and smelled great. The smell was ultra hoppy with some appricot. The mouthfeel was about the same as the smell, but the drink was a bit too much for my liking, but everything that I heard the beer would be, so A for this brew!

2.32/5  rDev -41.6%

Poured from a chilled 12oz bottle into a room temp tulip glass.

Pours a thick caramel colored syrup which clings to the glass as it slides to the bottom. A thin ring of froth clings to the edge of the glass. Translucent... Almost opaque. Light penetrates, but that is all that penetrates.

Smells... Sweet. Uber malt over malt divided by malt to the maltiest power all of which is multiplied by isopropyl alcohol. Reminiscent of extract of malt liquor.

A variety of flavors... But not really. Sugar, cane sugar, brown sugar, honey. Pure sweetness. And not in a good way. There is no balance at all to this flavor. At the very end of the swallow I can detect a faint honey-dijon mustard flavor.

The mouthfeel on this beer could be great, but the taste is so bad that I can't stand to roll it around long enough to tell. It's nice, but the flavor kills it.

As for drinkability... Ummm... No? That's what I have for that answeram I don't know if there is a zero rating or not, but I hope there is so that I can justify using it. For me, this is a novelty. Try one and trade the rest of your stash.

4.15/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Two reviews, one bottle at 3 months old, and another at 1.25 years.

Fresher:

Pours with no head, just a thin wisp of bubbles covering the surface, very hazy golden-peach-pink. Smells surprisingly like an English barleywine, sweet cream balanced with fresh hops, the alcohol shows up, a hotness in the sinuses, but for the abv totally reasonable. Flavor is amazing and vibrant, this thing is HUGE, reminds me of a beer version of Sauternes, all acidic honeyed oranges down the sides of my tongue, super bright golden cherries. Very juicy, the finish is long and mellow with a surprisingly mellow rolling bitterness, looong finish.

Aged:

Pours an 1/8th inch head which fades quickly down to spotty cover and solid ring of bubbles, a little lacing, but tons of alcohol legs. Golden where thin, deepens to peachy-pink. The nose hits me with some alcohol, sweet malts, lightly bready and lemony-sweet. The taste is a little shallow, mostly sweet pale caramel, a sugary-fruitiness. There's a subtle vegetal bitterness in the finish. There's a light alcohol sting on the tongue. Thin, yet coating mouthfeel, like watered down honey, balanced out by a light spritzy carbonation. Seems diminished, but a lot of dogfish bottles go through an awkward middle age to become really great a few years down the road, or so I've heard. One left from this bottling, I'll crack it open in a couple more years.

I'm rating this against the fresher of the two, as I think it's better and a fairer thing to do. I rated the drinkablity of this one a four point five, not that I would ever session this monster, but it goes down amazingly easy considering it's abv.

3.3/5  rDev -16.9%

Reviewed from notes of 1/14/11

A = Orange to amber hue. Reddish afterglow in full light. Reminding me of a light brandy color. 2 finger, quality head. Liquory clinging lace.

S = Hopy! Heavy liquor smell reminding me of a mix of a young brandy and an aged sherry.

T = Good carbonation. Fruity of plum and apricot. Roasted pumpkin. Heavy tanin for no wooden barrel processing. Sweet. Sweet. Sweet. Sweet. Did I mention sweet? Reminded me of a carbonated after dinner cordial. Dare I say my mothers Harveys Bristol Cream?

M = Tingling carbonation on the front end. Sticky but silky smooth finish.

D = This was fun to try, but I could barely finish the bottle. The first few mouthfuls were enjoyable and interesting. But the excess sweetness after 1/2 the bottle turned me off. I would try this again and share with a friend for an after dinner drink served in a brandy snifter.

120 Minute IPA from Dogfish Head Craft Brewery