120 Minute IPA | Dogfish Head Craft Brewery

ABV varies from 15-20%.

Added by frank4sail on 03-24-2003

Ratings: 8,121 |  Reviews: 2,297
3.98/5  rDev +0.5%

Poured a beautiful glowing amber color with a very small head and no lacing. Smell was dominated by a honey sweetness, taste followed suit and was sweet but surprisingly tame. The alcohol was noticeable but not as overpowering as I would have expected. Mouthfeel was oily and medium/full bodied with limited amounts of carbonation. Drinkability suffers some due to the gigantic level of sweetness, but overall this is a nice sipping beer.

4.75/5  rDev +19.9%

4.5/5  rDev +13.6%

4.1/5  rDev +3.5%

2011 Vintage

Pours a light amber red color with solid white fluffy head. Head starts to dissipate rather quickly. A brief smell of hops immediately hits the air as the beer was cracked. The smell is of fruity citrus hops, big malt, light fruit, caramel, generic "sweet" smell. A strong whiff yields a decent bit of alcohol in my nose. The taste is harshly bitter, yet surprisingly mellow. Grapefruit citrus and slightly vinous character. Definitely not as sweet as i expected from the smell. Definitely thicker than normal for the style on the mouthfeel, but it's not exactly as big as a stout. The alcohol provides a warming sensation in the chest as well.

Overall, this is definitely an interesting and great beer if for no other reason than I don't know how they did it. I've been waiting for years and person after person has screamed "don't do it." Sam has created a huge monster in this beer, but despite the warnings, despite the ABV, despite the strong alcohol presence in the smell, the beer is incredibly drinkable.

I got this as an extra from roguegregm in a trade. Many thanks to him for the generosity.

3.85/5  rDev -2.8%

Bottle with just a bit of age on it -- almost a year (bottled January 2007, opened 1/1/08) -- that I'm comparing to a much newer bottle (two months) from the newest batch of 120. Pours with excellent clarity and a small, yellowish head that fades to a collar on top of a dark amber body with some nice darker-brown "highlights". The nose is nicely balanced between the hops, which display a fine-grained, metallic grittiness (think 300 sandpaper) and the malts, which give off a honey graham note. On the palate, the sweetness of the malts and the bitterness of the hops are far more well-integrated than in younger bottles. Nice fruitiness that's hard to put a name to -- it's halfway between citrus, berry and tropical fruits -- comes out at the mid-palate. The finish sweetens significantly but somehow ends with hop dryness. Mouthfeel is improved with age, but still shows a lot of hotness throughout the palate. It's expected with a 21% ABV beer, but it's still distracting. Overall, 120 is much better with a year of age on it. The flavors play much better together, the sweetness is toned down a bit, and the hop astringency is gone. I would guess that 18 to 24 months would be the perfect age at which to drink this beer.

4.41/5  rDev +11.4%

Here we go, the mother of IPAs, the mecca of hop-dom.

Pours a hazy golden orange, a slightly aggressive pour yielding a whopping two inch head, white, frothy, and cloudy, mounds of lacing sticking to the sides. After 2/3 of the bottle poured, waited for the head to settle, poured the rest in, and appeared almost smoke like streaks, clouds in the haze, must be the yeast, fascinating. Although it kind of freaks me out, this is way better/cooler than the Guiness avalanche. Quite frankly, one of the loviest (and most fascinating) brews I've yet seen.

A potent hop nose at first, then goes away, the alcohol not hiding but not oppressive, floral and has a sugar-like malty base beneath other elements.

Taste is much sweeter than I expected, and not nearly as hoppy, but you definitely need to take it slow, as the alcohol makes its presense known in the middle through the end, warming nicely, somewhat oppressive, though I'll use the term 'stern'. Mouth screws up from inital sweetness, kind of letting you off guard when the alcohol bite strikes like a cobra, puckering, and this is where the hop bittering makes its debut, and while basically overshadowed by the abv, combines with the sweet fruits and malts and sugars yielding an almost zen-like state of beer nirvana. And while I've seen others describe the taste as 'grapefruit-like', I'll say its more sweetly caramel-like syrup, coinciding with the thick mouth and the high abv to just linger there, giving you much to think about. Appropriately, the after taste, sweet and warming, stays with you for quite some time before receding.

This reminds me of when I first tried Samichlaus, another super-high abv beer, and this seems to IPAs what Samichlaus is to doppelbocks. It is wierd, as I know this is in the IPA style, I can feel it, but it has just been loaded with so much, almost to the point of overpowering, that it takes on a whole different character, a breed unto itself. One of a kind.

Take your time, sip away, respect and enjoy slowly. That is the nature of this beer, and while one person might say its hopped to high hell and abv is out of control, I say its a beautifully crafted. At $8, and basically needing to spend a half hour focusing solely on enjoying it, I can't imagine having more than one a year, or one every half year. But, I'll be headed back to the store to pick up a few to stash the cellar.

3.78/5  rDev -4.5%

Presentation: 12oz brown pop top bottle with cool label...I bought two, one to drink now, one I'm gonna age for 5-7 years

Appearance: Nice dark gold brew with decent and surprising (for the abv) dense ivory cap

Smell: Coffee malt, HUGE sweet fruity orange and fruit liqueur notes

Taste: Uber sweet...bright orange liqueur notes...thick pine sap...this is a woodsy hop liqueur basically...quite nice

Mouthfeel: THICK, sweet, and heavy

Drinkability: 1 12oz bottle is good for 2 people

Conclusion: GOOD to try this a coupla of times for the experience...this would be great for an aperitif or digestif...milder than I thought it'd be, quite honestly...had at near room temperature

3.75/5  rDev -5.3%

3.82/5  rDev -3.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

3.5/5  rDev -11.6%

3.75/5  rDev -5.3%

4.48/5  rDev +13.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

3.23/5  rDev -18.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

Bottled 4/8/26... about 3 weeks old.

Look is deep copper with some pale and some red hues depending on how the light hits it. Small head dissipates pretty quickly but leaves a thin ring. No lacing.

Smell opens very piney although I wouldn't go as far as 'dank'. When that drifts away its left with a mostly alcohol/solvent smell.

Taste is very much like the smell, except the pine and fruity hops are buried and I just get a lot of alcohol burn. I tried it chilled and then let it warm, and either way it came off hot. Slightly more malts present when it warms, but they're fighting a losing battle with the 18% abv.

Feel is hard to judge, as another review stated, my mouth is basically numb and whatever feel it does have is not very enjoyable. Its medium body I guess and not as flat as I expected, but thats about as much as I can say.

Overall, this is a bummer. I know its kind of a novelty beer at 18%, but I was expecting it to be somewhat more beer-like... Wish I had my $10 back!

4.07/5  rDev +2.8%

Hooo weee. I have sought, I have found, and now the day hath arri-ved. This is some serious stuff. Pours in a thick fashion, with a golden body and a thick head that disappears very quickly. Very few bubbles cascading to the top. I expected a potent hoppy aroma, but the aroma is rather subtle for such a big beer. It smells not unlike their other IPA's, hoppy and slightly fruity. However, sugar is much more noticeable in this than in the others.

The flavor did not yield the hop overload I had expected either. The alcohol in this young version seems to be the more dominant flavor. Hops are detectable, but I want more! Brown sugar is also very discernible in the flavor, and this finishes thick with a fairly strong alcoholic presence. Although the alcohol is strong, in a blind tasting I never would have guessed as high as 20%. This is highly drinkable for its alcohol potency, but not something I would drink a lot of in a given sitting. Definitely an interesting beer I am glad I picked up though, especially due to the demand for it. What will be more interesting is to see how the other bottle in the cellar turns out after some aging...stay tuned...

...re-reviewed May 16, 2004...a great way to celebrate my college graduation, with a bottle of 120 that has been in the cellar for almost a year. This brew has smoothed a bit. It's still intensely sweet and alcoholic, however a nicer fruity apple flavor begins to show. When initially poured it showed that it still had some carbonation, but any head was short lived. A random bubble will pop up every now and then, but most traces of carbonation are gone. Although not really hoppy when fresh, it has lost a little more of it's hop flavor, as I would have guessed. Still an enjoyable sipping brew, a tad smoother and easier to drink after nearly a year, and one that should undoubtedly be respected.

4.07/5  rDev +2.8%

Pouring violently gives a small, dense, white head. The beer is hazy, coppery amber and clears as it sits. It has a sweet, rich, nutty, piney, grapefruity, plum pudding nose. It's a very nice hop perfume. The beer starts hugely sweet: caramely, fruity. Sweet malt in the thick middle gives way to a sweet, ripe=plums finish. Obviously, there are hops and alcohol in there too, but neither is overpowering. This is really quite a surprising beer. It's extremely sweet, and the alcohol is warming, but not overpowering. Very good. Better than I expected.

3.51/5  rDev -11.4%

I have had this bottle for a while. Why tonight? I just don't know, maybe I am an alcoholic? No more like I was dissapointed going down the Sprecher 2xIPA tract. Anyways I have been meaning to try this one for some time. At $10.49 for a 12oz, I don't know how often I will be having this. It may be a one time thing, so here goes.

A-Pours a clear reddish brown. Aggressive pour yieldsa a cream coloured soapy four finger head. The lacing and retention are phenomenol. Streams of vertical lacing cling to the sides of the glass.

S-Bracing piney hops intermingling with a potent sweet malt and alcohol kick. Potent to say the least.

T-Hops at first, followed by a very sweet caramel and alcohol soaked malt. A nice toasted bread quality comes through as well. The alcohol is very warming as can be expected of something so strong. Definitely a sipper, but does that even need to be mentioned? Some spicy noted also come through, a sort of generic quality though without anything jumping out at me. Aftertaste is very bitter with a bit of drying from the %

M-Not as syrupy as I thought. this is actually slightly above medium bodied but akin to many other 2XIPAs. The body is actually lighter than the 90 minute.

D-This is a night cap sipper, maybe even one to share a 12oz bottle. This is a very tasty brew but the alcohol prevents you from drinking more than one. It is basically like drinking a pint glass of liquer. While tasty, this is much more of a novelty than something I would seek out.

4.22/5  rDev +6.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

4.27/5  rDev +7.8%

P- Grape and Gourmet in Va Beach!

my 150th review and i have a dandy!

A- Pours a nice colorful reddish orange color. Like a tomato mixed with a pumpkin or better yet an orange tomato (If you ever ate one of those).

S- strong citrus hops aroma. alcohol and pine are the other dominant fragrances.

T- fermented alcohol is the first thing i taste but then there is grapefruit and pine that complement the strong essence of alcohol extremely well.

M- potent and citrus mouthfeel. Nothing to much except the burning alcohol sensation as it goes down my throat.

D- considering the high ABV this bad boy is only good for one or two a day at most. Finish a sixer of this and you will bein a coma. Good flavor and easy to put down for the most part.

4.23/5  rDev +6.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Burnt orange and slightly hazy colour, almost the shade of pumpkin. Small bits of sediment, so definitely pour this one.

Very boozy smell, but backed up by plenty of sweet caramel malts and blended fruity/spicy hop notes. The scents come in very smooth and sweet, much less hoppy than one might expect.

The taste is also heavy with alcohol, but this beer is so packed with flavour it's already a sipper. Sweet, smooth and toasty malts up front balanced with oily citrus and spice from the hops. Again not overly hoppy, but the flavour lingers throughout.

Medium-thick mouthfeel with a dry burn from the high ABV on the finish.

This is a fantastic IIPA, but is dominantly malty and boozy. The hop flavour is superb and you can even taste it on your lips, but I'd like to see it brought out a little more.

4.62/5  rDev +16.7%

1st Review | 05.16.08

The great 120 Minute.

Provocatively syrupy smelling, and a bit alcoholic too. Citric notes, almost like tangerine. A little zesty/spiciness. Quite a noseful; smells like it will be viscous. The syrup/alcohol smell almost takes on a rubber sensation - like latex.

Orange/amber hue, translucent, minimal head.

Oh wow. Not what I expected at all. It's insanely tart, and ripe . A sipper forwith alcohol heat. Goes down like motor oil laced with whiskey, sure. I do get some rich, dark whisky kind of malt and vanilla hints. A bit of hop bitterness comes into focus through the heat, and helps to tie down a tropical hop vibe. As it warms, I experience more malt and not so much hop. Dominant in the malt, though, is an over-the-top, sickly-sweet sweetness, reminiscent of butterscotch.

It's fun to see where a style of beer can evolve and meander to, given the freedom to be extreme. For my taste, though, this specimen is hard to drink. If you could brew the Elephant Man, this is pretty close to what I'd envision you getting.

I do get flourishes of that perfect malt/hop mix, but mostly I get alcohol and tartness. With all that hop, I sense no harsh hop flavors - something I'm unable to avoid in my IPA brewings.

3 | 4 | 4 | 5 | 2
___

2nd Review | 12.10.08

Nose is sugary malty, alcohol, and full of bright, floral hops. Strongest is the very sugary, rich, and malty aromas. Hints of vanilla. Smells good, almost very good.

Pours a dirty deep straw color, very hazy, almost fruit-juice looking, almost no head (completely understandable). Looks good.

Flavor hits hard and fast with strong citric juice, rich malty creaminess, and alcohol. First impression can be likened to a spiked orange cream party punch. Incredibly thick and smooth. Citric flavors round out with a nice tartness. Very sweet - like a sweet fruit rather than just raw sugar or excessive maltiness. Reminds me of a nectarine or tangerine, not quite orange or grapefruit. Mild bitterness. Tastes wonderful. Feels even better.

Last time I tired 120Min I was put off by the over-assertive alcohol. This time, I served it at frigid refrigerator temperature. I got a lot more flavor and less raw alcohol heat. Not the IPAest of beers; I'd like to see some more hop flavor to combat the beautiful malt. It doesn't speak Barleywine, but certainly American Strong Ale... Imperial IPA, I guess.

From my previous review: "if you could brew the Elephant Man, this is pretty close to what I'd envision you getting."... Man! What was up with my palate that day? Perhaps nothing; perhaps today I have an invisible cold that has immunized me to alcohol's nose-tingling effects; or perhaps I have become numbed, or perhaps this is just not the same batch... regardless, it is really, really, seriously good. It never once flashed up in intolerable heat today. I've had 12%ABV beers that stung worse than this bottle. If I had another I would definitely crack it open when this one's gone. Well done Sam!

This is a beautiful beer that I hope you will get to experience and enjoy. Approach it with an open mind, open palate, and perhaps a stuffy nose (if you're opposed to flavor of pure ethyl alcohol ;-).

3.85 | 4.25 | 4.6 | 4.75 | 4.4

Julian dating on the bottle 2011 106. I cant wait to pop this, but Ill hold on to the WWS for later.

The pour is a solid amber, and no head (but thats to be expected).

The smell is caramel sweet backed up a super strong fusel alcohol presence. Dry grains as well. Initially, I got kicked in the face by pine hops straight away, but now its all sweet. Very dominated by the booze.

OMG this thing is so sweet. Caramel corn dominates, with huge notes of toffee and caramel. No real hop presence at all, I think the bitterness really comes from the burnt sugars. Im definitely throwing the cap back on this thing and finishing it tomorrow.

Tastes and feels like syrup. I wasnt sure how to rate this thing, so I gave it all 4s.

3.16/5  rDev -20.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

A: Hazy gold-orange, yellow-white head fades but leaves rings of lace.

S: Floral but verging on abrasive chemical. Soil and citrus, but those are quickly smothered by the rest of it.

T: Woody, floral. Pine shows mid-late palate. Chemical like nail polisher still coming through (mega yuck.- what is this??) Cinnamon and baking spices on the finish (I swear), plus more alcohol warmth.

M: It's got some bite! Sky high IBU and sky high alcohol, as it turns out, is intense. Abrasive, but not astringent.

O: Barely fun even as a novelty. It seems like they got a little lazy, trying to make it as extreme as possible and any positive characteristic was a lucky side effect. Insane bitterness and ridiculous hop character is intriguing, but not when the smell and flavor make me worry if I'm going to go blind. I'm glad I didn't, and glad I got to try it, but now our relationship is over. Sorry 120, it's you.

120 Minute IPA from Dogfish Head Craft Brewery