120 Minute IPA | Dogfish Head Craft Brewery

ABV varies from 15-20%.

Added by frank4sail on 03-24-2003

Reviews: 2,224 | Ratings: 7,914
4.1/5  rDev +3.5%

12 oz. bottle. Pours dark, orange-amber. Sweet aroma. Was not prepared for the first sip, like said by others, WOW, I liked this right away ! Each sip thereafter it just got better and better. Sweet but not annoying sweet, hops dominate with fruity undertones. Alcohol is well hidden, creeps up on ya ! To quote Tommy Chong "It kinda grabs you by the boo-boo!" Can’t wait to try this one again.

1.23/5  rDev -68.9%

I'm under the impression at this point that my review is unfair as I believe I got an outdated bottle. There is an overwhelming taste of vinegar in this beer inducing gag reflex in every sip. I simply can't finish this beer. Again, I may have gotten a bad bottle.

3.48/5  rDev -12.1%

Wow... Absolutely overwhelming. I was very anxious to try this brew because I love the 60 and 90 minute IPA's but this cannot even be categorized with those beers. I guess I didn't know what to expect from a 21% beer, but I was at least expecting somewhat of an IPA taste. This tasted like a really strong, bitter, slightly carbonated wine. In my opinion, no resemblance whatsoever. I would probably have rated this beer higher if I knew what I was in for when I tried it for the first time. I would definitely say its worth picking up, but do not do so on the shear fact that you like 60 and 90 minutes as there is almost no similarities other than the name. If you like barley wines, definitely pick one up and try it. If you are a big IPA fan and are looking for a new imperial IPA to try, heads up, grab a bear republic, stone ruination, a 90 min, or something else. Only available in 12oz singles, my suggestion is that if you havn't had this yet, split it with one other person and/or pour it into a wine glass. The 25-27% ABV Sam Adams Utopias is normally poured in 2oz and this seems like beer that is best in small servings. I poured this into a pint glass and drank the whole thing and when I buy this again I am just pouring it into a small drink/wine glass and drinking a little at a time. This way, I may appreciate the taste more as opposed to trying to finish the whole 12oz bottle/

2.15/5  rDev -45.7%

Bottle. Gentle citric aroma. Huge syrupy thick flavour - spicky and shocking, almost revolting. Doesn't invite further investigation - in fact, the opposite. A gagging action comes into operation after a few sips. A true drain pour. A crude and excessive beer that doesn't taste as if it's been fully brewed out.

2.86/5  rDev -27.8%

Like everyone else, I had heard great things about this beer. Perhaps that made my expectations greater.

Poured from the bottle a deep golden/very light amber color. Very short lived head.

The aroma was not at all what I was expecting. I was waiting for a huge hop explosion, but that was not to be. Instead, the aroma was very fruity, apples, and some citrus.

In the flavor, again, I was expecting a hop bomb. Instead, it was very sweet, perhaps cloyingly so. It did have some hop bitterness, but not enough to balance out the overwhelming sweetness.

I would love to try some other DFH beers, but this one was just not for me.

3.25/5  rDev -17.9%

A: Poured a rich amber color with almost no head. Very thick.

S: Hops and the tingle of alcohol on the nose.

T: Very sweet like honey, and then the hops. For a IPA that brags about being hopped for 30 days and 120 min the hops wasn't as strong as I would have liked. Not much bitterness but rather a tad citric, almost sour in the end. But the sweetness finishes everything.

M: Very rich and syrupy. A bit oily and definitely heavy. A small amount of carbonation. Very smooth.

D: For a beer of this ABV content surprisingly easy to drink. A sipper for sure, but seems like it would be easy to swig away.

A gimmicky beer that is good to try once or twice but not the best IPA by far. I think it is a show of what can be done if all the stops are taken out in the brewing process and someone is allowed to go nuts. The sweetness, ABV and the price tag make it too far out of the ordinary though to get used to.

4.9/5  rDev +23.7%

The color is honey, clear, no bubbles, and it seems to have an oily sheen on the head, with only hints of off white lacing remaining. A very thin head returns with a swirl of the glass, but quickly retreats.

Smell is awesome. Huge hops, all hops, it wafts from the snifter and engulfs the nose. Sweet and piney with an alcoholy backside, this aroma comes to you.

Mouthfeel is active and intense. Thick on the palate, oily and alcohol fuzzy on the tongue.

Taste is intense, deep hops, piney, grapefruity hints, with a subtle sweetness and warm finish. Oddly unbitter given the sheer amount of hops.

For the amount of hops, an oddly smooth finish. The hops are super tasty, they don't ruin the palate like with a Stone Ruination IPA. You can really taste the distinctiveness of the hop flowers.

2.4/5  rDev -39.4%

This beer is one I sought out for a while.

Here's the simple straight dope in terms of all i care about ...taste. This was basically the 90 minute turned into a boiler maker. That is my opinion in terms of both taste and alcohol content. You could taste the alcohol and it was not ggood.and my I'm ediate reaction was that it tastes like a boiler maker.

4.36/5  rDev +10.1%

A: Clear burnt orange/auburn coloring. Almost no head on mine. What little there was dissipated pretty quickly but it was a creamy off-white head that took some color notes from the beer itself. So off-white with a hint of burnt orange.

S: AWESOME. Lemon, pine, zesty, malts as the sniff finishes.

T: More lemon and pine up front. I think I drank mine a little colder than they intend (right out of the fridge). I regret not letting it sit longer, but I did after the first sip and the taste notes changed pretty noticeably. When you let it warm, you get malt and more booze, in my opinion. Almost overshadows the hops (ALMOST). Like the 90 minute, the only noticeably objection I have is how syrupy it is, and I assume that comes from the attempt to balance the HUGE alcohol in this beer (which you can feel in the tongue and throat, btw--but what do you expect with a 18-20% ABV beer?) Overall really good.

M: Definitely glad I split this bottle with my girlfriend because it's too big of a beer for me to have had alone on a weeknight! Very good though. Full-bodied, goes down smooth.

4.43/5  rDev +11.9%

Great beer. Really strong almost like barleywine. Subtle in alcohol, not noticable. But be careful it sure is there. I think its 20%. Good winter beer, really warms you up. Smooth flavors. Full bodied beer. Great beer from Dogfish head. Very enjoyable. Malty and hoppy. Copper in color. I really liked this beer.

3.42/5  rDev -13.6%

I love this beer for a few reasons.... the gootness factor(ABV%) and overload of hops!

The appearance is amazing .. lots of bubbles on the side of glass when poured , a very strong color orange and hardly no foam on top.

The smell is goot as well kinda like hoppy citrus with a bunch of alcohol.

Taste is kinda overpowering at 1st , very spicy hoppy pine smell with that alcohol kick. 90 min x 3.

Mouthfeel isnt the glory of this beer, the alcohol makes it tough and very carbonated in some way as well.

I would truely drink alot of these beers for some reason, the taste makes it very easy to drink and you kinda forget about the 21% in it after a while.

3.93/5  rDev -0.8%

Pours a hazy amber color with a one finger white head. Very nice lacing. Nose is resiny pine, bready and slightly fruity. Taste is dominated by a very robust, sweet malt backbone. Floral hops, though less than I expected from this super-hopped brew. Taste hides the alcohol very well; there's no bite, but a pleasant warmth with each sip. The mouthfeel is thick and chewy. It's oily and viscous and stays on the palate. I had been dancing around buying this one for some time-- glad I finally did. This is a big beer in all aspects. Though it'd be tough to have more than one in a sitting, I'd gladly have another at a later time.

4.27/5  rDev +7.8%

12 oz bottle - 03 vintage - cellared 60-65F. Quaffed 12/06

appearance: amber with quick dissipating head

smell: sweet malt with citrus notes that disappear fast

taste: sweet backbone with more pine than citrus. Hop flavor is light. Alcohol present but enough malt left to balance.:

mouthfeel: creamy

drinkability: still an enjoyable sipper.

4.62/5  rDev +16.7%

I enjoyed a one year aged bottle out of a snifter glass and here are my notes:

The beer poured a rich caramel color, with a 2 finger head which laced all the way down. VERY hoppy aroma around the beer, and the taste was much the same. A great deal of warmth with the 20%+ ABV and the 100+ IBU's kicked me straight back in my chair. This beer is made for sipping, anyone who chugs this is missing the delecate balance of hoppiness and warmth.

3.23/5  rDev -18.4%

If you don't like to push your limits step away from this beer.

As soon as you open the bottle your house will wreak of hops. Seriously.

This beer is harsh in the mouth as the 21% ABV is very noticeable. However, if you are a hop head (and there is one in all of us) it is still a pleasurable experience.

I wouldn't pair this beer with food, or drink more than one serving of it but it is a great beer to experience. (If I were going to pair it with food I'd opt for the 60 minute IPA cousin)

I literally can't imagine a more hoppy beer. Fun to drink.

Bottled on 5/1/09

A- has a cloudy orange amber color and a very thin white head that leaves a even thin lacing on my Westmalle chalice
S- very strong citrus aromas, lemon rind and grapefruit predominate the nose, you can definitely smell the alcohol from the beginning
T- lots of heat from the 18% alc/vol, very sweet and citrus on the pallet, almost has a sourness to it, it could use at least a year or more in the cellar
M- very creamy and smooth, low carbonation level
D- not as drinkable just due to the high alc/vol, as said earlier, it could use a year or more in the cellar, but overall quite an excellent choice

(reviewed by Daniel)

2.99/5  rDev -24.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.25

Dogfish makes some wonderful stuff, but this one was just too much for me; for what it is, it's probably excellent, but the alcohol burn is just over the top. I love the 60 Minute and 90 Minute, and this one looks beautiful, a nice deep orange, but you can smell the alcohol quite strongly right from the start. Far more malty than hoppy, so despite the brewing process, very unlike your typical IPA. This would, I assume, be an excellent brew for those that like the extremes in beer, with high alcohol (and I sometimes do myself; Bourbon County Stout is a fabulous example), but for this one, the alcohol is just too strong and too forward for my taste, so I won't be buying again after my stock is gone. Again, probably very good if you like the alcohol forward beers, but be forewarned!

4.52/5  rDev +14.1%

A: Very hazy dark amber, almost copper color with a thin and quickly dissipating off-white head.

S: Loads of caramel with milk chocolate, and just a hint of piney hops.

T: incredibly sweet and caramelly. Very mild and floral hops, not aggressive at all on the hops. Only mild bitterness.

M: one of the thickest, most viscous "IPAish" beers you'll ever drink. Very chewy, with a heavy warming effect, but not an alcohol burn.

O: A memorable beer. I'm glad they serve it in 12 oz bottles because you couldn't drink too much of it--but this definitely warms you on a winter night similar to a heavy stout.

4.17/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

When I first got into Craft beer I was obsessed with Dogfish Head beers so needless to say when I saw this sitting on the shelf I had to have it. I bought 6 of them for about 12 bucks a pop believing it really would be the Holy Grail of beer lol. It was good, but not to sure it was worth the price.

Appearance: Pores a rich coppery color with a very thin white head. As I pored it into the glass I could see the syrupy thickness.

Smell: Extremely pleasing to the nose, a mixture of tropical fruits and hints of the alcohol.

Taste: ALCOHOL!!! I get all types of tropical fruits mixed in like mango, some pineapple and maybe guava, not sure. Decent amount of bitterness all followed up by the slow burn of alcohol. To me the alcohol outshines the rest of the flavors a bit.

Mouthfeel: Like drinking syrup. :) A thick, syrupy feel that coats the mouth and hangs onto your palate for quite some time.

Overall: Solid and I probably would have enjoyed it more if the alcohol was a little more well hidden. I'm curious as to how this tastes with some age behind it. Every time I tried it the longest it sat was a month.

3.41/5  rDev -13.9%

An intense experience. Definitely one to savour and serve in small amounts. Cloudy golden coloured with a head that fades fast. Intense alcohol and hop aromas that are resinous. The flavour is huge bitter hops - oily and rich with a spike on the back palette. The alcoholic warmth starts deep within the pit of the stomach and travels all the way up to the cheeks. Next time I try it will be in front of a fire with a huge cheese platter.

4.5/5  rDev +13.6%

Color: Amber color, very nice head with good lacing
Aroma: Floral, strong alcohol and orange peel
Taste: Very sweet, tastes like it was brewed with a lot of sugar, not as much bitterness as I would have though. Tastes of candied orange, lemon and lime with a strong alcohol flavor.
Finish: Sweetness lingers for quite awhile; a touch of bitterness after a minute.
Mouthfeel: Light bubbly carbonation and surprisingly light body. Being as strong as it is I would think it would be syrupy, but its not.

3.42/5  rDev -13.6%

A - Pours a very light copper. A little cloudy which is to expected with a hop monster like this. There was a bit of a white head but it quickly went down to lace ring.

S - Huge hop smell. Spicy lemons and other citrus fruits. Some flower like notes also.

T - Christ almighty its hop candy. The sweetness slaps you in the face. There is still plenty of hop character there. Piney hop presence but mostly the sweetness overwhelms. Not horrible but if I did not know better I would think its some super sweet malt liqour or something. With everything else going on I don't really get much bitterness out of it. Strange.

M - The mouthfeel is pretty silky. leaves mouth puckering piney resin on your tongue after every sip.

D - Like I said not horrible but it will be a chore to even get through this 12 oz bottle. If you do buy one leave it in a closet for like years. It might mature into something else. Then again maybe not. A unique brew for sure but don't know if I will ever get another one. 90 minute and 60 minutes are pretty good drinkable IPAs. This is something else entirely. Enter at your own risk.

3.03/5  rDev -23.5%

Straight out of the bottle I thought I was in a flowering humulus field. Talk about hop city. It even says right on the label and of course the namesake is dedicated to its hopping. This beer was exceptionally hard to get as my distributor told me that they were only delivering this one case at a time to CO.

Poured into a wine glass a rich golden color with light cloudiness and tints of green and yellow towards the bottom of the glass. Very light head retention with only a film of head left after a few minutes; no lacing. Taste is bitter beyond most, yet retains a delicate flavor of malt and hop. I was expecting a pickled mouth from the 21%, however I hardly noticed the strength due mostly in part to the overwhelming bitter and scotch taste. I was able to finish the bottle with little trouble and found a comforting buzz in a small bottle with a ton of taste.

I am not personally a huge hophead and this beer proves it. If you are however, I would say dive in. I wouldn't drink this with a meal as the meal would be completely overshadowed by it.

3.94/5  rDev -0.5%

The infamous 120 minute IPA definitely holds its weight, kinda thick. I love the dogfish head brewery and IPA's, so this was a must try for me, at 21% abv, I was impressed with the taste. However that being said, for the average beer drinker it is semi too much, most non beer enthusiasts will make a face if you let them try or smell it, It is a must try for all IPA lovers but ill stick with the more drinkable 60, or 90.

3.8/5  rDev -4%

A- Pours a clear amber honey color with little head but I feel this is due to a slow pour. Looks viscous, bubbles move lazily to the top.

S- Alcohol, pine, resins, wood, citrus.

T- Alcohol, resins, pine, citrus.

M- Warming, prickly bubbles, slight stickiness.

D- This one bottle is very drinkable, but the alcohol and bottle price should keep consumption to a minimum.

120 Minute IPA from Dogfish Head Craft Brewery