120 Minute IPA | Dogfish Head Craft Brewery

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

ABV varies from 15-20%.

Added by frank4sail on 03-24-2003

Reviews: 2,238 | Ratings: 7,954

2014 bottle. Color is deep amber. Caramel and malty sweetness on the nose, with alcohol.
Very sweet on the palate. A bit of an alcohol burn going down, especially as it warms.
Not for everyone. Glad I had the experience.

3.79/5  rDev -4.3%

04/22/06- Purchased via mail order..can't remember who with though.

Presentation- 12oz bottle. Bottled in year 2004. Has sat in my fridge for almost two years. Poured into my St. Feuillien goblet style glass.

Appearance- Glowing golden orange in color. 1/2 inch head at first...very sparkling white. Light rim of foam left behind while leaving medium spotty and streaky lace. A very nice sight indeed.

Smell- Really doesn't smell like much. Medium fusel alcoholic fumes with a light malty base and some muted sugary fruits. None of these smells really stand out though.

Taste- At first taste it doesn't seem like it's a 20% beer. After the first few sips you can feel it though. It's deceiving for sure. Malt actually comes out to play nicely. Good base leading to some sugary grapefruit and floral hops. Not to bitter though. Alcohol flavor is pretty strong and stays around into the aftertaste.

Mouthfeel- A bit higher carbonation than thought. Nice light bitter sugary coating on the tongue. Warming to be sure. Nice beer by the fire beer.

Drinkability- Umm, session beer...no. Maybe a once a month beer is you can stand to pay the $10 a pop. Not the hop bomb people expect, but a very nice sipping liquor-like beer.

4.08/5  rDev +3%

Bottle dated July 11, 2011. Split between my girlfriend and I, served in two snifters.

A: Golden sunset ruby colored body, fairly cloudy topped with just slightly off-white sudsy and creamy head. Retention ring is left behind with nice splotchy and sticky lacing on the walls. Gorgeous looking beer.

S: Extremely sweet hop oils and caramel malts. There's not much bitterness, instead simply very rich and again sweet aromas. Touches of orange peel towards the back end.

T: A sweet and sugary bomb while still retaining a certain balance to it (as much as you theoretically could anyway). Loads of citrus hop oils, slightly bitter, sweet caramel malts. This is a big beer and certainly one to anticipate being sweet. The fresher the more bitterness but even at only a few months old this is getting sweeter by the day.

M: Creamy, full bodied with decent carbonation. A bit syrupy on the tongue but it leaves a nice residual sweetness and stick behind. Lovely.

There are so many dimensions to this beer, you really have to be able to sit with this, sip it and let it warm to appreciate how much depth of flavor this has. It's certainly is going to be a polarizing beer due to its aggressive nature, but well crafted this one is. Nicely done, I'm stocking up on some to age.

3.43/5  rDev -13.4%

Finally got my hands on this one thanks to korguy123. First beer ever poured in to my new CBS snifter. Bottled on 9/19/11.

A - Light to medium orange/amber colour; translucent. Half a finger of off white head that very quickly receded to a ring around the edges of the glass.

S - A huge alcohol aroma up front dominates the nose. Sweet caramel malts, toffee and muted citrus notes are evident. The alcohol is very dominant.

T - The alcohol is noticeable up front and remains warming throughout. A hop bitterness is evident as well but is somewhat masked by the alcohol burn. Sweet caramel and toffee flavours are present along with muted pine and citrus notes in the background. The finish is dry and slightly bitter with an alcohol burn lingering slightly.

M - Medium body, sticky. Light carbonation.

4.15/5  rDev +4.8%

Bottled 12/18/05

Wow, the drinkability really surprised me here. It was a sipper, but a fine one for the alcohol. I guess its had some time to mellow, but still. The boozey flavors were very low with estery malts and and fruit punch hops flavor. I remarked to a friend that it tasted like "hops candy." Its not the richest or most complex beer, but its good and its different.

3.56/5  rDev -10.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Found a little guy (12oz) single at Liquor Mart in Denver.
Pours a glossy rust color, orange and copper hints. Big, big foam of off-white thick head. Chunked a bit. Nice lacing
Spice and citrus dominate the aroma, with alcohol and the pine hops coming in and out.
Taste is intense. Spice, citrus, alcohol, hops, pine, oak, some sweet malt. The syrup feel clings a bit and reminds me of PineSol. The abv is huge, and this bottle was all I can gulp.
A good try, but I'll stick with the 60/90 ipa

4.27/5  rDev +7.8%

The beer pours a hazy reddish gold color with a thick frothy white head that slowly fades to lacing. The aroma is great. It has a warm pale malt scent with a smooth floral hop aroma that balances the elevated abv. nicely. The taste is good. It has a rich and tasety pale malt flavor with some carapils and a warm finish. It is rich in hops as well with a very complex hop palate. It is sweet and satisfying. The mouthfeel is fine. It is a full bodied beer with adequate carbonation. This is an excellent beer that goes down slow, but is a good drinker. I love hops.

3.93/5  rDev -0.8%

Tried this after a 60 Minute IPA. Great looking IPA - beautiful amber color with light head that screams "Drink me!". Strong hop aroma. Much maltier and hoppier than the 60 Minute version, but this was expected. The malt taste lingers long on the tongue, allowing extra time between tastes. This is an IPA to savor the flavors and drink slowly by itself (not for pairing with food). I bought it at $9.99 a four pack, and the price is worth it.

3.65/5  rDev -7.8%

Bottle shared by Steve at my 22nd birthday. 12oz bottle, 2010 date on the bottle.

Poured a slightly hazy orange brown, moderate amounts of retention and lace. Nose has loads of hops and citrus notes, mild pineapple among other things. Herbal notes, that I'm sure come as a result of the sheer amount of hops here. Some fusel alcohol. Massive malt base - caramel and toffee, some toasty malt notes as well. Taste has lots of resinous hop flavours, lightly toasty malts and sugary caramel and toffee notes. Chewy and sticky feel, but not extremely heavy. Ethanol and heat in the finish, fairly bitter but not palate shredding. Super sweet and rich overall, a sample of this was adequate. I wasn't terribly blown away with this, but this was certainly an experience.

3.94/5  rDev -0.5%

A- Pours a dark, dark copper/gold. Head is short lived. Love the carb bubbles.

S- Almost smells of a cider. Alcohol.

T- Alcohol overpowers everything which I was expecting. Slight sweetness followed by bitterness, neither of which is too overwheming. A definite sipper.

M- Creamy.

D/O- Drinkability is near zero but loved every second of my 6 ounce glass...split a 12 ounce bottle of this 18% monster with a friend who then blew a .4 on my BAC device. Been looking forward to this day for awhile after having many 60 and 90 Minutes. Thanks PTMcB!

4.72/5  rDev +19.2%

I was lucky to grab the last bottle from the shelf at Marty's Liqour (Allston, MA) during my visit in BoTown. I haven't had a Double IPA for almost three months now, so I'll admit I'm a little nervous. The only problem is this isn't a Double IPA, it's greater than that. The numbers are earth shatering, 20% ABV, 120 IBU's, and 450 calories. Love the design on the bottle cap, though I think there should be a warning in text on the label too (Idea: if a fizzy yellow beer drinker inhales this, seek medical attention immediately.) Something's missing...oh yeah, my bottle opener and my oversized wine glass. Let me get those, and as soon as I come back, let go on to the beer:

Into the glass it goes...it's a deep orange color, chill hazed. Ruby red hues are mixed in this eye candy. The head is short-lived. The aroma isn't strong, but it is deep. Hops? Yes, there are hops, but it's surprisingly sweet. Lots of juicy tropical flavors in this one. More like concentrated syrup is what it is. It's like ecstasy; I want to continue smelling it. But I must press on to the taste...

Here we go...WOW, that is one smooth devil. I can still feel the alcohol inside of me. It isn't really "bitter" at all, it's just like the aroma. Sweet, juicy, tropical fruits all around. I want to continue sipping on it, but I must break a little more than I want as this is some very thick stuff. Very syrupy and carbonation is short lived on the palate. Oooo, ahhhh. Another sip please. Yes!!! More! WooHoo!! Although you feel the booze on your insides, you can't find much of it in the beer. Hold on, I got to lick the flavor off my lips. Yum. Hey, I'm feeling good now. I think I feel the alcohol starting to kick in. Let's wrap this up.

I was expecting to struggle against this beer, but my palate won the battle. I'm really glad I tried it out. I have nothing else to say expect this: get yours hands on a bottle if you see it. That is unless you hate thick syrupy beers.

4.03/5  rDev +1.8%

Poured into a Gulden Draak tulip. Pours a clear medium red orange amber. Thin fine off-white head with good retention (of what little is there!) and lacing. Aroma is very close to a barley wine, sweet and caramel hops and herbal hops. Flavor is as intense as I expected. Sweet malt and alcohol up front, very bitter. A malty finish with a hop kick. At this point, it is interesting to drink, but a bit over the top in bitterness and alcohol. I'm looking forward to tracking this through time as it mellows. Very different and interesting.

4.5/5  rDev +13.6%

Had this one on-tap at The Yard House (Las Vegas) 10 Jun 2014

Pours a nice clear/clean golden orange color, nice carbonation, nice one-finger plus creamy off-white head, nice islands and sticky lacing afterwards. The nose is sweet, malty, hoppy, some dark fruit, maybe some caramel. The taste is pretty sweet, malty, nice hoppy effect, some kinda dark fruit going on. Nice sweet after taste with a nice alcohol warming effect in the body. Medium body. Very drinkable, definitely a sipper, I like this one, way to go DFH. I'm glad I had a chance to try this on-tap, way different than the bottle version.

Thanks goes out to Faro for this brew.

12oz. Bottle On 03/29/06

Pours a nice clear/clean golden orange color, nice carbonation, nice small one-finger creamy off-white head, nice islands and sticky lacing afterwards. The nose is sweet, malty, hoppy, some dark fruit, maybe some caramel. The taste is pretty sweet, malty, nice hoppy effect, some kinda dark fruit going on. Nice sweet after taste with a nice alcohol warming effect in the body. Medium body. Very drinkable, definitely a sipper, I like this one, way to go DFH. I'm glad I have another bottle that I bought.

3.57/5  rDev -9.8%

12oz bottle poured into dogfish head pint glass (bottled 1/18/08)

A- Dogfish head 120 pours a very golden color with a slight touch of copper that appears quite thick. A slightly aggressive pour produces a nice sized head that dwindles down to a thin sheet. A nice amount of bubbles and debris is seen floating throughout the glass.

S- 120 has a super strong smell of sweet malts and some alcohol is present, but not as much as you would think coming from a 21% beer. Caramel on top of citrusy hops with some floral qualities. The dominance of the malts makes for a syrupy smell.

T- similar to the smell with a start of an enormous amount of malt sweetness backed with a nice hop presence. the alcohol is present in the finish as the heat is noticed going down. the sweetness consists of caramel and sugars with a bit of grapefruit coming through. It's almost like i'm drinking syrup which is kind of weird, but most DFH offerings are considered weird to me.

M- Thick, thick and thick, with a full body. I have to say though that for a beer of this size it is pretty smooth going down.

D- For 21% very drinkable but i had to check myself after i found myself drinking this a bit fast. after the 1st few sips i could feel the alcohol taking effect. this is a big beer for big boys & girls who are down for a challenge so be prepared.

I have a 2005 version of this & will buy a fresh bottle to compare, but not until i have two people to help me with it.

3.6/5  rDev -9.1%

Bottled in 2004, Sampled August 2004
Pours a brilliantly clear, bright copper color. A wispy head forms, but then quickly disappears. Surprisingly it has a medium level of carbonation, which I was not expecting in a beer of this alcohol content. The aroma is of apricot, hops and some brandy-like alcoholic notes. There is almost a smell of candied hops here.

The beer is thick and sweet, yet somewhat light and not nearly as alcoholic tasting as I expected. A fair amount of hop flavor manifests itself as apricot, tangerine, pine, wildflower fields, and a bit of bitterness in the finish. This beer is much more enjoyable than I was expecting from such a beast. It certainly could use a bunch more hop flavor (especially given the billing). In the end though the hot alcohol wins out, and is a bit too much. This is good in a 2 to 4 oz samples, anything else is just too much.

3.8/5  rDev -4%

Dogfish Head 120 Minute IPA (2011 Vintage)

Appearance: Pours a dark ruby, clear with a very large pillowy head. Retention is understandably short livid, but some lace and a ring is left behind.

Smell: Oh My are the first thoughts. Alcohol and fresh smelling hops, notes of caramel, almost like an Eisbock. Lots of alcoholic esters are playing with an underlying sweetness, bringing to my senses aromas I never knew existed.

Taste: Big malt sweetness, piney hops stuggle to take hold. Alcohol is quite present, and the brew tastes eerily similar to some examples of the Eisbock style, where a portion of the beer is frozen to concentrate the flavors (and ABV). Mild pineapple notes are present as well, as is some erratic ale fruityness. Sugary malt and booze sticking to the back of the throat. Wood tones are also present, perhaps from the hops or is this wood aged? A symphony of flavors, if everyone in the symphony was drunk.

Mouthfeel: Full bodied, lightly carbonated, alittle syrupy with lots of warming booze.

Overall: This is extreme beer. It is good but must be prepared for. When finished, where does one go? Wherever that is, you will find me there.

4.72/5  rDev +19.2%

2007 batch, 12 oz bottle. Enjoyed in my favourite mug. An expensive but exciting treat from Milton, Delaware. Continuous 120 minute boil followed by one straight month of dry hopping!

Pours a beautiful colour, a toasty brown with orange hues. A fine level of off white head that leaves thorough rims of lacing. An absolutely explosive bouquet!!! Not quite like any other hop filled aroma - so potent, so fresh, so whole. Small hints of booze peak through but not initially, what strikes first is this tremendous smell of hops, filled with pineapple, tangerine, grapefruit. A great deal of malt too. An exotic taste profile - notes of citrus, and more hops! The hop resin has imparted so many different flavours, it's incredibly complex. The alcohol doesn't even show on every sip, and even when it does it stays surprisingly balanced within the flavours.

I'm not even sure what to say, or how to describe, the beer has overwhelmed me. Dangerously quaffable. Everything is so balanced, it's incredible! I couldn't of imagined this being so balanced AND so tasty! Even at 20% or so percent this still drinks like a beer. Far and away my favourite of the series...

4.32/5  rDev +9.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

12 oz. bottle, 21.00% alc./vol., this is my 3rd time having this immense ale,

A: Pours a clear amber orange, with a fair white head, looks almost spiritous.

S: Very interesting, a full brunt of pine hops attacks first, lemon, orange liqueur, and ethanol, kind of peaty as well in the end - scotch like, but it's a minour note.

T: Quite hoppy on the first taste, hoppier than I remember it being - piney, some grapefruit there, then it balances out, becoming a lot more sweet, orange comes out, some spice notes - pepper and coriander-esque, banana, and also a large amount of solvent alcohol character.

M: Alcoholic, solventy, phenolic, full-bodied, viscous, thick.

D: Drinks a lot more like a spirit than a beer, but even at 21% alc./vol., it is surprisingly easy to drink, an drinks of a beer at half that potency. Very interesting and complex.

4.42/5  rDev +11.6%

Abosolutely outstanding! Another excursion across into Wisconsin and another great beer. Very malty and silky/syrupy on the palate. Not much head. You definitely notice the alcohol in the taste and even more so once you’ve finished! I was suprised to find that the hoppiness did not overwhelm this beer but that it was balanced very well.

3.9/5  rDev -1.5%

12 Oz bottle sampled through the efforts of dirtylou and The No BS BIF.

First I write out my will before approaching this hop bomb.

A pour in to my Duvel Tulip gives me a new motor oil thick and colored brew. A near clear apricot colored beer with a little bit of head, which is impressive as at 21% ABV this should be able to dissolve any head.

Smell is quite sweet and surprisingly fruity to the nose more like a barley wine than a mega IPA. Lots of aroma of melons and some pine and grapefruit. This has what I would call the Dogfish Signature aroma all over it, that melon smell that DFH seems to put in all its bigger beers. Bit of spicy black pepper is noticeable mostly from all the ethanol in this beer.

Taste is very sweet with a large hit of melons, fruit and raw sugar cane in the first taste. Very sweet beer with tons of melon and fruit flavors, this just isn't one of the better Mega IPAs like Pliny The Younger or FFF Dreadnaught.

Mouthfeel is syrup.

Not a super drinkable brew here. Super sweet and thick with a high alcohol content this is decidedly inferior to the best from Three Floyds or Russian River.

4.5/5  rDev +13.6%

Pours a beautiful hazy honey color with a nice taut head that fades to a ring.

This beer has a delectable nose of caramel, orange peel, a slight hop spiciness, and some brandyish boozy smell.

This is a sweet treat with a long finish. Just as much a treat for malt heads as hop heads, and probably more so. Very sweet, perfect for an after dinner quaffer.
Spicy with hops and coriander up front, then a long, long malt bomb with very nuanced flavors of dried apricots and cherries, spice, and honey. This is followed by a long finish of honey spiked piney hops. Delicious now, but this would be absolutely extraordinary with some serious age on it. There is the slightest soy note that dissipates as it breathes.

The mouthfeel is very thick and rich with good carbonation throughout, something that I miss dearly in certain other over the top abv brews.

Drinkability is very good for its style- and after dinner sipper that is quite addictive.

4.2/5  rDev +6.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3

I have reviewed this beer previously, but from a 750 ml. bottle. However, that was a while back, and according to the DFH rep at Max's last night, they have tweaked the recipe a bit the last few years (whatever that means). In any event, the beer I had last night was so superior to what I had out of the bottle last, they might as well have been two different beers.

The draft version pours a beautiful orange amber color, with decent foam retention and great lacing. The beer smells very sweet, but there is noticeable citrus from the hops as well. On the palate the beer is sweet, with a cornucopia of cherry, currents, raisans, pineapple and other tropical fruit. However, unlike the bottle version I had, all of sudden there is a huge wash of hops that pounds through the sweetness. Nevertheless, this beer is still viscuous, rich, smooth and long, but with refreshing citrus in the finish from the hops.

The abv. is certainly still noticeable, and there's no way you can drink a lot of this (who'd want to) or drink it too quickly. Definitely a sipper... and a beer where the abv. becomes increasingly noticeable as it warms and sits in the glass. Still, an excellent beer. Very, very impressive...

3.16/5  rDev -20.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Bottle purchased at Nathaniel Square Corner Store, in Rochester, NY.

Pours a clear dark orange, with a 1 inch head, and not much lacing. Looks quite oily, with no visible carbonation.

Smells include sweet malt, alchohol, honey, and lemon pledge type hop aromas.

The tastes include resinous piney hops, honey, sweet malts, lemon, orange, and more cloying honey sweetness all throughout. For a beer that is supposed to be one of the hoppiest there is, this one slightly disappoints. The malt flavor and alcohol overwhelms everything else. A bit of a chore to drink.

Medium bodied, slow sipper due to alcohol. Low carbonation. Sticky sweet mouthfeel.

60 and 75 are much better, 90 is where they start to lose me on this series, 120 is way too much.

4.57/5  rDev +15.4%

On tap at the Blue Dog Pub...
Appears an amber color with a small white head that retains nicely and sticks around the glass with solid webbing and lace.
Smell is of intense sugary malt with tons, and tons, and tons of hop varieties. I'm getting rich biscuit, bread, followed by massive amounts of pine, citrus, grapefruit, orange, pineapple.
Taste is equal to the aromas in terms of intensity. To me, this is really the 90 minute stepped up a notch but it's a little harder to handle due to the high abv and intense flavors.
Mouthfeel is full bodied, sugary, bitter, and bread-like chewy.
Drinkability is good. This certainly didn't come across as being a 21% abv in the chalice but I was feeling it by the end of the chalice.

4.68/5  rDev +18.2%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

From the 12 fl. oz bottle dated 07/22/15. Sampled on November 10, 2015. Served at about 45 degrees.

The pour is an attractive looking medium amber-copper-yellow hued tone with a lingering foamy white head up top.

Vibrant aroma of barley malts, caramel, peach, mango, other fruits, and almost no booze for 15+ ABV. The hop character is also more subdued than I would have expected.

Bold, creamy body.

Same sort of roasted caramel and barley malt flavors at first followed by a peach, and orange sweetness and perhaps a bit of cognac. Alcohol burn is notable but not overpowering in the least. Bitterness is far mellower than I anticipated. A definite sipper. I felt its 18% ABV about halfway through the bottle. I bought a single bottle. If it wasn't so expensive I might buy another one to age for a year.

120 Minute IPA from Dogfish Head Craft Brewery