Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

120 Minute IPA | Dogfish Head Craft Brewery

ABV varies from 15-20%.

Added by frank4sail on 03-24-2003

Ratings: 8,266 |  Reviews: 2,348
4.56/5  rDev +10.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

3.9/5  rDev -5.1%

1.75/5  rDev -57.4%

4.35/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.35/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Heard about it and tried one. It had excellent flavor; however, you will want to drink it slowly; and you will want another. Excellent IPA & worth it.

3.83/5  rDev -6.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

4.08/5  rDev -0.7%

12oz bottle dated 4/7/17-- so only about 3 months on it.

Pours a medium amber color with a 1 finger head with great retention. Extremely cloudy, can't see through the glass.

Aroma is very interesting. There is some booze, lots of hops, caramel, and malts. Has a slight bourbon like character in my opinion. It smells very potent in an unusual way. Not straight hops, not straight booze, somewhere in the middle...

Taste is hops and loads more malts than expected. Very sugary and caramel-like. Definitely notice the booze but the other flavors are not hidden by it. Not overly hoppy. Slightly bitter but sweetness comes through more strongly.

Feel is heavy and syrupy. Creamy and thick, slightly cloying. Definite alcohol warming.

Overall an extremely unique beer. I have never had anything like it. I agree with other reviewers that it contains some American Barley wine qualities but I definitely wouldn't classify it as one. No this beer is a beast of its own. Definitely worth trying.

4.1/5  rDev -0.2%

look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

4.18/5  rDev +1.7%

1.59/5  rDev -61.3%
look: 3 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

A friend of mine came in from Cleveland looking for a quick and fancy drunk one night. He grabbed a four pack of this and said it was the most rancid thing to cross his lips. The other three bottles are mine.

Look - Almost a brownish golden hue with a minimal head. Carbonation is low. No lace or stick.

Smell - Wet catty hops and alcohol. Like there was virtually no attempt to hide the alcohol here. At all.

Taste - Only 18% you say? Tastes like rubbing alcohol with some cat piss mixed into the bunch from the hops used.

Feel - Thick and burning. Swallows rough and astringent.

Overall - Usually DFH makes some great beers. I always wanted to try this but the day my local craft shop received it a man came in and offered $350 for a single case in order to bypass the one bottle limit. What a fucking idiot. Glad this was given to me. Not quite sure what gimmick DFH is trying to pull but I've had TRIPAS near this ABV that were a thousand times better. Guess I can pawn off the remaining bottles to my neighbor. Terrible.

4.16/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

If you go into this thinking IPA you'll think it's kinda disgusting. If you go in thinking barleywine it'll hit the spot. Super thick and heavy, intense flavor, hops and whiskey.

4.09/5  rDev -0.5%

2.89/5  rDev -29.7%

Pours a dark orange into a fifteen ounce straight wall mug at the same temperature as the beer. Half finger off white head that dissipates rapidly. Legs. Hazy to opaque. Very little lacing.

First smell is whiskey. Had the wife to check my breath and she says pure whiskey. Maybe some caramel malts. Some citrus hops.

Taste mimics the nose. Whiskey burn fades into plain alcohol heat. This brew has way to much alcohol. Some citrus hops make it through the alcohol burn.

Full sticky mouthfeel with good carbonation.

Overall I couldn't get past the boozy smell and alcohol flavor. They bury the nose and the palate. I sense a good beer underneath. Just to much of a good thing. The 90 Minute IPA wins hands down.

4.49/5  rDev +9.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

4.73/5  rDev +15.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Poured from a 12 oz bottle. I picked up one bottle when I saw it for the first time earlier this year, I liked it so much I picked up a couple more bottles - if not for how expensive it is, I would have eagerly bought a few cases!

I was surprised at how easy it was to drink this delicious beer, no burn*, just a little warming from the high % ABV! I was also pleasantly surprised that it did not taste overly bitter to me as the "120 IBUs" suggested. I found it very balanced for the style ("Imperial IPA" or "Triple IPA"). (* - When I say no burn, perhaps I mean no more than I would have wanted, and less than I expected, considering the strength of this beer!)

It reminds me a bit of Bell's Hopslam, it had a lovely aroma and slightly heavy (but very appropriately so) mouthfeel, moderate carbonation. I wish it hadn't been so long since I'd had it (a few months ago) because I can no longer accurately describe the aroma or taste but I do remember the ONLY thing I disliked about this beer was the price. I will review again next release so I can write some better descriptions.

I put 4.75 for the "look" because there was nothing about the appearance that distracted me from the other excellent qualities of the beer - I don't think the appearance could be improved for this type of beer nor do I think it's important, it simply looks like it should?

4.21/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

4.09/5  rDev -0.5%

Poured from fridge temp to tulip. Bottled in March of this year, so it's fresh. Pours a golden orange with minimal head. Quickly dissipates. Nose is citrus and hops. Not getting much alcohol heat on the hose. Taste is quite a punch in the face. I love the hops and alcohol heat, which is definitely present on the taste. To me, this is a classic strong American barleywine. Kind of an Old Guardian on steroids. There is a sweet syrupy taste which evolves into a dark fruit (cherry) flavor. Definitely some burn on the way down. Mouthfeel is nice, although not as thick as I would have expected. Overall, a really nice beer.

4.3/5  rDev +4.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Serving: 12 oz bottle ("bottled on 03/30/17") poured into a 9 oz Libbey Embassy snifter.

Appearance: Cloudy amber gold with a short but dense, frothy head of off white foam and sparse lacing.

Smell: Pine needles, citrus zest, candied orange rind and clean alcohol - almost gin in the aroma.

Taste: Big, malty body to balance the intense hops. Honey, pine resin and deep, herbal bitterness. Warm, almost numbing alcohol kicks in after a few sips.

Mouthfeel: Full, sticky, coating feel with moderate carbonation.

Overall: Intense and boozy, but still incredibly well balanced. Shows off the piney aspect of its hops amidst a potent brew for sipping.

4.29/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

4.25/5  rDev +3.4%