120 Minute IPA | Dogfish Head Craft Brewery

ABV varies from 15-20%.

Added by frank4sail on 03-24-2003

Reviews: 2,265 | Ratings: 8,038
3.98/5  rDev +0.3%

12 oz. bottle to my new, st. bernardus chalice. what a way to break this glass in.
music: billy bragg's "there is power in a union"

A - Amazing, ruby red body that seems to glow. above sits a creamy, beige head, which sinks to spotty lacing and medium-sized bubbles.

S - Huge, flowery hops with shouts (as opposed to hints) of grapefruit, apricot, mint, and slight pine. Malts are candied and sweet smelling and there exists a slight burn in the nose from the booze. This smells like the best of IPAs.

T - Very juicy, very sweet, much of the hops bitterness is lost to this sweetness sadly, but only momentarily, as they come back in the finish. again, this tastes much like candy from the malts, perhaps even hints of strawberry jam and butter (mmm toast...). booze is also present in a vodka-like way.
while i very much am enjoying this taste, it is far more reminicent of a barleywine than an IPA and it is for this reason that i question its catagorization. however, i review by beer, not by style, so... we're cool.

M - big, juicy feel with medium carbonation and a syrupy finish that really brings out all the flavours quite nicely.

D - at the halfway point of this beer, i would have said that the drinkability was quite high, but now, with one sip remaining, i don't know if i can muster it... it is just so sweet... at this point all the hops are gone and i feel like im drinking vodka and honey, whisked together, microwaved, frozen, and then melted to room temperature. gross. i could keep drinking this beer... if only it stayed cold, or at most around 45 degrees.

this does for DIPAs as world wide stout does for double stouts. a very inventive take on an already great style. though, to be fair, i don't think im ever going to go back to either. glad i tried them both, but, yeah, ill stick to more traditional beers.

4.6/5  rDev +15.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

First off even before the served info,extra thanks to Susdog for sending me this beer which I always wanted to try. OK, served into my favorite large tulip gold rimmed glass from a 12oz brown long neck bottle with a crimped on cap.

Mirky,glowing reddish/golden color,apricot nectar-like color. 1" thick,creamy head with good retention,some tightly knitted strings of bubbles surging to the surface from the sides and center of the glass.
Spotty lacing with some small curtians of lace clinging to the sides of the glass. Constant layer of foam with a never die attitude always on the top of the beer. Gotta love it!

Intense hop aromas, lots of pine and citrus,pineapple,sweet carmell maltyness,burnt syrupy aromas. A candy-like aroma,a slight boozy aroma,stings the nostrills a bit,you know the alcohol is in there. Still a very tempting aroma,not an aroma for the weak at heart.

Wow! Intense hop taste very piney/citrusy great pineapple taste,lots of sweet carmell tastes a great burnt taste to the carmell.Very sugary,reminds me a bit of cotton candy. Lots of candied flavors to the taste.Amazing balance to all the intense tastes,the balance is the key to this beer as far as i'm concerned.If the balance was a bit off this beer would really suffer in the taste department,no problem here.Lots of boozyness here as expected, don't have a problem with it and it is not offensive to me.Resiny and sugary in a good way, this beer just pushes the limit for me but just never exceeds it. A real palate buster,my tongue will never be the same again. Thanks,Ted

Thick,chewy,cloying,Whatta ya expect? A pleasure for the taste buds.
This beer was better than I could have even imagined.
A very balanced taste throughout. A nightcap beer, by no means a starter beer. The drinkability for this beer was astounding,would never think this beer would be as drinkable as it is.I wanted to savor it as much as I wanted to slam it. ABV 21.00% would never know it,was a bit fraid to give this one a try,now I'm glad I did. Thanks again,Ted
Send me this beer anytime !!

4.62/5  rDev +16.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Presentation: 12 oz brown bottle, bottling date of 12/18/06 laser printed on the bottleneck with the proclamation fo "ages well" on the label (I'll find that out in about 2-3 years, but that's a review for another day), poured into a Duvel tulip glass.

Appearance: Pours a deep reddish brown color, rather clear with just a few carbonation bubbles rising. the head formed about 2-3 fingers thick (tulip glass after all) and faded very slowly into a thin layer that retained.

Aroma: All hops, very strong but oh so inviting.

Taste: Same as the aroma, hoppy throughout. Slightly bitter at first but it kind of sweetens up in the middle. The finish goes bitter and hoppy, along with a peppery alcohol taste.

Mouthfeel: Very thick and syrupy. The carbonation was light but fit perfectly for how thick this beer is.

Overall: At 20-21% possibly the highest ABV of any beer I've ever had, and definitey the most bitter. Still, very drinkable, doesn't taste like it should be so high in alcohol. If you're not sure about how much hops you can handle, start with the 60-minute, then the 90-minute. If you enjoy both of those give this one a shot. Be advised, it's VERY hoppy and bitter.

3.98/5  rDev +0.3%

Poured from a 12 ounce into a pint glass. Comes out a hazy copper with a rocky, tall head. Smells of lots of hops. Tastes - wow. Lots of hops, but sweet and complex. There's a flavor like molasses or something. I don't like hoppy beers, and this is great. Feels thick and smooth on the tongue, hops and sweet all the way down. It's a tad bitter and rich to drink all night, but I could have a Couple.

3.45/5  rDev -13.1%

Served in a tulip glass from the bottle.

A: Gives the appearance of a slightly over-ripe peach; deep orange red through the thickest portion of the glass turning to a slightly golden orange nearest the surface of the glass. I was rewarded with a robust, off-white head two finger-thick. The carbonation, though present, doesn't keep the head alive and, sadly, it fades away within minutes, leaving me with a ring of bubbles around the edge of the glass and a thin film towards the center of the beer. Some lacing left on the glass as I imbibe the beer.

S: Zounds! Hops, hops and more fresh hops. There's something else there mingling with the hops...honey, nectar, molasses, I'm not sure, but it's definitely something sticky sweet . The smell is heavenly.

T: The hops are there from lips to gut in all their resiny, piney goodness, but so is the sweetness that I picked up through the nose and it doesn't go away. It almost tastes like that over-ripe peach that I mentioned earlier. It doesn't really detract from the taste, but I don't feel that it adds to it either. It's just somewhat distracting.

M: Somewhat oily up front, but finishes remarkably clean (although that damn sweetness won't subside). In a beer of this potency I am utterly astounded that the alcohol profile isn't running roughshod through and over the flavor, but it's not.

Overall I am glad for having tried this beer. Hell, it inspired me enough to finally sit down and write my first beer review after years of lurking on BA. If it happened to find its way back to Peoria I would probably do what I could to get another bottle, but realistically it's not something that could be considered a staple of any one's "beer diet", readily available or not. I must give a shout-out to BA MWalters for the heads-up on this one. Thanks-a-million!

2.97/5  rDev -25.2%

Took this one out of the fridge about 2 hours ago to let it warm up a little. Poured into my favorite glass. Big white head on this cloudy amber/gold beer. Very sweet malty flavor. Much more than I expected, and the first drink went down like a shot with the high ABV%. The hops came through mostly in the aftertaste. Smells a little malty, but I could smell more hops than I could taste. Nice mouthfeel. Light/medium carbonation, medium full body. For me, this is not very drinkable because I could only drink it in limited quantities. It's also too sweet for my taste. Perhaps I could acquire a taste for this one over time, but at $8/bottle that probably won't happen anytime soon because there are so many more beers I still need to taste.

3.53/5  rDev -11.1%

Poured into a standard pint glass. At 23% this is by far the strongest beer I've ever tried. As a hophead, I'd been wanting to try this for a while. Took a whiff of the aroma and WHOA! Hops galore. As expected, the hops come in strong in the taste, but they cannot overcome the medicine syrup qualities that all that alcohol creates. I'm glad I tried it, but it really wasn't for me.

4.2/5  rDev +5.8%

Single 12oz bottle that I paid $9 for.

120 IPA is very floral from the hops overload, as well as a bit of grapefruit rind. I also detect notes of fresh cut grass, and pine as well.

This brew is dark golden amber in color, and was very clear at first, but after I poured the rest of the brew out into my glass, the brew clouded over like a hurricane. Produces a very light tan head, sticks around for a while, and leaves lacing the whole duration of the sample. This must be a fresher batch than the last reviewer's. There is a lot of CO2 action going on here, and this Imperial IPA is easily agitated.

This is surprisingly very sweet and not over dominated by the load of hops. I can't believe this is a 21% ABV. Not dominated by the alcohol, and the head retains very well for such a high ABV.

This brew bites a little bit, and is not watery by any means. This is slightly warm to the palate and back of my throat.

120 is great overall but a bit pricy for the 12oz sample I got. I suppose this is understandable due to the limited number of batches per year.

4.07/5  rDev +2.5%

single brown bottle of the 12oz. type poured into a tulip. interesting, slightly hazy deep orange-gold with a creamy golden head quickly dissapting, lively carbonation forms islands of lace.

tropical fruits,black peppper and a complex acid aroma reveal a sweetness as of cherry tomatoes, queer yet intriguing.

sweetness from an impeccable malt is assaulted from every corner by a champion hop.

fairly thin and oily, yet clean, lightly astringent.

beware this is a bad boy, sit back at home relax and write a review.

4.15/5  rDev +4.5%

I wasn't sure I was ready to drink this beer, much less review it. Prior to this experience (and it was an experience), I'd not had a beer above 9% ABV. I had no idea what to expect here, as this was definitely uncharted territory.

A - Upon pouring, this had an odd, highly intriguing appearance. A cloudy, honey-golden, viscous pour revealed many bubbles, but they were moving around in a way I'd never seen before. The carbonation didn't just bubble up to the surface. It was...frenetic, moving in all different directions with no apparent rhyme or reason, though perhaps this should be expected with such a high volume of alcohol. The head was better than I expected, and it left very fine clingy filaments of lacing. This beer looked incredible in the glass.

S - Wow. Forget drinking this beer, the smell is intoxicating enough. I smell hops, glorious sticky resinous hops. Quite honestly, it smells as if a metric ton of hops were compacted and concentrated into the singularity of this one bottle. A veritable black hole of hops, if you will. Smelling salts? Who needs smelling salts when you have 120 Minute IPA? Good god, this might wake the dead. What else do I smell? Alcohol, definitely a boozy fusel kick, especially as the beer warmed a bit.

T - This beer is too sugary. There, I said it. The excellent hops bitterness eventually cuts its way through the sugar, but it has to work way too hard, especially with such a blatantly hopped beer. Make no mistake, there's still a blissful cacophony of tastes here, which is why I give it a 4. Candy, grassy, piney, woody, oily, boozy, back to candy.

M - Oily, buttery, and surprisingly not harsh at all.

D - This is not very drinkable in large doses, even adjusting for the fact that this is 21% beer. It isn't the alcohol that is making this difficult to drink, it's the sweetness. I'm typically a pretty fast drinker, and this took me nearly one hour to finish. For all practical purposes, it's too much for one person....it would be better to share it. I have another bottle, and that is what I will do with it, after I age it a bit.

In summary, this is simply one beast of a beer. It could be an exceptional, legendary beer if the sugar was toned down somewhat. It might already be legendary.

4.17/5  rDev +5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance - A cloudy amber, with deep reds hidden inside. Lots of bubbles, settling into a one inch head. Sticks to the side of the glass. A good sign.

Smell - Wow! Never smelled these smells before! A heavy dose of flowers, with shavings of orange peel thrown in. There is a strong hops smell, probably waiting in the taste, is everpresent in the background.

Taste - A rush of flavors. It's surprising how much flavor can be pushed into one bottle. But then I remember I did pay about $8.50 for this one bottle, retail. The high alcohol quotient is not present in the taste, but you know it's there.

Drinkability - This is so rich, so flavor-filled I don't think I can drink more than one. But perhaps thats the point. One is all it takes!

Notes: In my IPA circles this beer is legendary. The 90-minute style has its points. But Wow this 120-minute version will knock your socks off! But only just one!

3.2/5  rDev -19.4%

Fresh bottle bought a month ago so the beer is a bit hot. Lighter in color than a usual DIPA but DFH is never usual. A bit of hops and fruit in smell. It tastes fairly hoppy but the alcohol taste is a little strong which affects the drinkability (besides the massive ABV). This is a sipper for sure. I won't drink another one this fresh and see how aging affects this beer.

Cheers.

4.64/5  rDev +16.9%

Found a bottle of this at Trinity Hall Irish Pub in Dallas. The server said they only had a few left so I had to take the opportunity even at $16 for the bottle, especially seeing as it's not even legal to sell here in Collin County.

A - Lovely, deep golden brown colour with a creamy head which, unfortunately, didn't last too long.

S - I've recently been getting into dessert wines, so I could pick out notes I recognised from those on this beer. Definite honeysuckle notes, and I'm thinking tangerine, or at least something similar, along with some smooth caramel.

T - I never really imagined the possibility of a dessert beer, but this definitely qualifies. Again those sweet honeysuckle and caramel notes, with enough bittering hops to remind you that, yes, this is a beer. Surprisingly little alcohol flavour for a beer that weighs in at 20%.

M - Smooth, creamy and thick but without ever being cloying. Also, once it goes down it doesn't leave the somewhat sour aftertaste I've found a lot of the higher percentage beers have. I could feel this slide down my gullet as I swallowed and it definitely added a little warmth on this below-freezing night.

D - You know what? Were it not for the price tag and the fact that the pub quiz was over, I could have ordered another. While it's a definite sipper, the high alcohol content really doesn't make this as stand-alone as you'd expect it to. I enjoyed and could quite happile enjoy another!

4.32/5  rDev +8.8%

Translucent brown orange body, good carbonation. Light tan head with a white swirl, tiny to medium bubbles. Head collapses to a thin float leaving little lace.
Nose of spice, grapes and raisens, muskat, molasses, wet musty hayloft and a sour note. Very complex.
Sweet raisens and spice up front. Very strong molasses and toffee also with some fruit to it. The high alcohol content is nowhere to be found save for the fuzzy warm feeling it imparts. Although the malts certainly dominate the taste, there is a constant undertone of slightly spiked hops which are allowed more room in the long aftertaste.
Full heavy body with some coating and a slick sensation.
So drinkable and delicious, if the abv wasn't so high I'd indulge in this brew more often.

-Oelergud

3.52/5  rDev -11.3%

12oz bottle poured into a chalice it forms a solid eggshell white head that has decent staying power. Body is a dull copper shade with little visible carbonation.

A large amount of dark fruits and caramel come forward at the get go in the aroma. The body of this beer is much thicker than it looks in the appearance. Stick to you ribs type of beer. It doesn't surprise me that the alcohol makes up the majority of the balancer. At 21% its a big player although it doesn't completely dominate this offering but is a big complimentary addition. Slightly medicinal is a bit of a turn off. Hops come through in the bitter portion but don't have any taste value.

Notes: Interesting. On one hand I liked the over the top expirimental approach but on the other more sane hand I found it to be nothing I would purchase again under normal circumstances. Very expensive.

4.04/5  rDev +1.8%

Pours a light amber color with a massive bright white head that just keeps growing and growing, the lace on this beer is incredible it coats the entire glass. Gorgeous looking beer. Not too many different smells from this one, not surprisingly a huge hop scent, not a whole lot of malty smells and just a bit of grapefruit coming through. The taste is the definition of hops wow, I thought ruination was a bitter beer, this takes the cake so far. It’s also got tastes of sweetness and a very small hint of citrus. It definitely hides the 21% ABV very well. I should clarify that last sentence, the alcohol is definitely present and detectable however for 21% it's not that bad. Great beer, but very expensive, once to treat myself to every now and again

3.6/5  rDev -9.3%

I was debating what to get at the liquor store last night, and decided a 12 ounce bottle of this would make things a little bit easier. It poured a bright orange color with no real head. Smell was of juicy hops, and also a certain herb presence. If you've had Stone's 10th Anniversary Ale, there is a certain onion/garlic presence, which was also present in this beer. Taste was really sweet and juicy, almost too sweet. Mouthfeel was medium bodied, with the alcohol really making itself known. One is more then enough for me. DFH prides themselves on making high gravity beers that don't taste like hard liquor, but in this case, you really can taste the alcohol. Not a bad beer at all, but it will probably be a little while before I decide to pick it up again. Cheers.

3.02/5  rDev -23.9%

I know someone who beer-bonged this. Unfortunately, I wasn't there to witness it.
Looks an orangy/copper color with no head. Very viscous! Smell is heavy on ethanol and hops, maybe some hints of sweet fruits if you smell long enough. Taste is super syrupy sweet alcohol; warms the throat. Mouthfeel is thick and syrupy. Interesting and unique, but not very drinkable at all.

4.2/5  rDev +5.8%

Drove to Wisconsin to pick up this one, 12 oz bottle, poured into my St. Bernardus glass because I didn’t know what else to use, bottled on 08/09/06

A—pours orange, copper, cloudy with no head and no lacing, looks like what I expected knowing the abv

S—citrus, Belgian like, floral notes are strongest, some milder candy sweetness lingers

T—Different than I expected, not all the hoppy bitterness that I was expecting, pretty sweet actually, alcohol is everywhere, warms the throat nicely, I like it

M—thick and maybe a little syrupy, full bodied, carbonation is what I expected from the style

D—I like it, pricey, so maybe once a year will do it. I would have it again for sure.

3.67/5  rDev -7.6%

12 oz bottle on Dec. 31, '06.

Pours a golden-brown color. Off-white head. Smells very sweet, malt, caramel, perhaps some berries or cherries. Very light in the mouth (lighter than you'd think). Very sweet taste, much like the aroma. Finishes smooth with relatively no hops in comparison to what I expected, or to what i feel the beer needs for balance.

Too sweet, but the alcohol is amazingly well masked. I thought it would be a chore to drink, but it's light and refreshing.

4.02/5  rDev +1.3%

12oz. bottle - Xmas present from Josh

Pours a hazed orange-amber with a creamy eggshell head that thins.Thick lacing on the glass.

This beer has a boisterous aroma. Sweet caramel malt companied with layers upon layers of hops. Citrus, herbal, piney, just waves of all the usual suspects. There is also a slight booziness present, but not as much as expected for the huge ABV.

I know that this beer is both labeled as a DIPA and is placed in the DIPA style, but everything about how this beer tastes says barleywine. Sweet caramel maltiness upfront leading into waves of layered hop flavors.There is some bitterness, but not enough to offset the sweetness. Finishes sweet and malty as it started, with some lingering hop flavors. Sweetness is a touch cloying.

As big of a body as you'll find, slightly syrupy. Nicely carbonated.

Huge beer, still retains decent drinkability. Overall, a very complex beer and a nice experience. Definitely limited to a single bottle because of the ABV and the sweetness. Again, I really don't see how this is a DIPA. It more closely fits the characteristics of a barleywine, or maybe even a double barleywine considering the extreme nature of this beast.

4.27/5  rDev +7.6%

12 oz bottle - 03 vintage - cellared 60-65F. Quaffed 12/06

appearance: amber with quick dissipating head

smell: sweet malt with citrus notes that disappear fast

taste: sweet backbone with more pine than citrus. Hop flavor is light. Alcohol present but enough malt left to balance.:

mouthfeel: creamy

drinkability: still an enjoyable sipper.

4.63/5  rDev +16.6%

2006 Vintage - Poured into a big snifter
I bought a case of this stuff in October of this year so I figured I would make a routine of having one every New Year's Eve. Thankfully, at 21% this beer would last longer than I will.

Appearance: Glowing reddish orange color. Small half inch head gives way to moderate lacing. Moderate effevescence-this beer is still young and lively looking.

Smell: Earthy hop smell. Faint sugar and alcohol aromas. Tangerine and other citrus aromas.

Taste: Sugary and dense, not beaming with flavor as I thought it would. This beer tastes woody and possibly as though it has spent some time in an oak barrel, although the carbonation would not indicate this. Alcohol burn is there, and is quite warming. Very satisfying finish. Like a nice single malt. As I drink on I realize that the finish of this beer is exceptional. Not overly hoppy or explosive, but warm and juicy. Take some time to appreciate this beer.

Mouthfeel: Syrupy, but not as sweet as other people have indicated. Hops are present but not cloying. I am very fond of the alcohol warmth. I've never had such a tremendous warmth from a beer. I'm surprised it came from an "Imperial" IPA.

Drinkability: I love it. I could have more than one of these in a sitting if I could afford to. Not a session beer but certainly worth trying. It would also be nice to have a few of these around if the mood strikes you to have the experience. Perhaps beer like this could find its way onto Scotch & Brandy lists in finer restaurants. I certainly think it is complex enough and could easily serve as a digestif.

4.35/5  rDev +9.6%

My first 120 Minute IPA, as it says on the bottle a 'Holy Grail for Hopheads'. So, I am a little excited. This would be the most recent bottling, which would be... late summer 2006?

Poured into an oversized wine glass, poured with an absolutely huge fluffy off-white head. Body is a lovely dark amber. Nice sticky lacing, more developing at every sip as the beer falls back to level.

Smell is a hop explosion of pine, of citrus, of HOPS, accompanied by a touch of sweetness.

Taste is amazing, the mouth is full of hops, each sip brings the flavor out more as it warms from cellar temperature. The alcohol is barely even noticeable, an amazing feat for a beer that clocks in at 21%. There's even a decent malty sweetness that helps carry the hop flavors through, fruity even, flavors of peach or apricot, a little caramel. This is a very well balanced DIPA, quite a feat of brewing.

Mouthfeel is nicely bodied, a tad oily and oh so warming, both to the mouth and body.

This beer is incredibly drinkable. Being a standout, incredibly ramped up DIPA this is no session beer but definitely something I could sip all evening long. Now if only we could do something about that $10 price tag.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Wow- mindblowing D-IPA. Poured a cloudy gold as a good IPA should, with little head and lacing effect. Slick piney hop aromatics controlled the nose- the sharp burning on the first sip was masked only by the fruity apricot- peachiness of the crazy malt profile. An uppercut of hops on the finish- smooth and biting at the same time- great brew but keep it to 1 or 2 bottles or you may not wake up.

120 Minute IPA from Dogfish Head Craft Brewery