120 Minute IPA | Dogfish Head Craft Brewery

Added by frank4sail on 03-24-2003

Ratings: 8,201 |  Reviews: 2,328
4.75/5  rDev +19.9%

3.87/5  rDev -2.3%

A: An amber orange color with hardly any head and no lacing. The head that was there for a few seconds was soapy and off-white, taking some color hints from the orange body. It looks like a typical DIPA with the color and clearness.

S: MAJOR hops (surprised?) This beer smells really nice. Pine, grapefruit, floral, with caramel malt background. Yeah, major pineyness.

T: Hoppy up front with lots of citrus, followed by sweet malts. Ends very sweet. Boozy--kind of feels like I'm drinking barleywine or even whiskey.

M - Eep, a little syrup-tastic (leaves me wanting a glass of water). But it's a nice full-bodied beer.

Overall, I really liked this beer. It's exceptional and very unique. Like most of their stuff, it's bold as hell (I absolutely love the Dogfish philosophy). The price tag is a little rough at $9.00 for a 12 oz. bottle, but I know why that is--this thing has got to be very difficult to brew. This is definitely a once in a while treat, and a great one at that.

3.36/5  rDev -15.2%

Hazy amber with a one finger head with surprisingly good attention and lacing, for such a high abv beer. The aroma has sweet caramel, bitter citrus hops, pine, and a bit of vinegar.

Thankfully the vinegar does not show up in the taste. There is caramel, citrus hop flavor, sugar, and citrus zest. Definitely on the too sweet side for me, but not bad otherwise.

Full bodied, low carbonation, with a bitter aftertaste. Definitely not as good as 60 minute or 90 minute IPA, but not that bad either.

4.75/5  rDev +19.9%

3.25/5  rDev -17.9%

3.57/5  rDev -9.8%

A fellow beer enthusiast bought me this beer about 4 months ago and it has been staring me down in my fridge ever since. I've been intimidated to even try it. Well, we just closed on the sale of our house yesterday so I felt I finally had a reason to take this down.

A - Lovely golden amber/ orange color. ZERO head to speak of. Zero lacing.

S - BIG hop aroma, piney, citrus, floral, fruity.

T - This beer smacked me in the face with huge hoppy flavor that overshadowed in the finish with a hot alcohol aftertaste. Almost tastes more like a barleywine than a DIPA.

M - A bit syrupy.

O - I'm glad a tried this, but it will only be once. I much prefer the 60 and 90 minute IPA from DFH. This is definitely worth a try, but is more of a novelty then anything else.

120 Minute IPA from Dogfish Head Craft Brewery