120 Minute IPA | Dogfish Head Craft Brewery

ABV varies from 15-20%.

Added by frank4sail on 03-24-2003

Ratings: 8,235 |  Reviews: 2,343
3.55/5  rDev -13.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Curiosity got the best of me on this one. While it was a very great quality IPA, I have a hard time justifying buying a case of beer for over 40 dollars let alone 200, but I was given the opportunity to buy a bottle for 10 bones from a friend. One bottle had me feeling it. Very nice to sit with and sip on slowly. Should be served at a warmer temperature than most. Again, final regards are that this beer is very good but no where near worth what it is priced at. I'm pretty sure it's hand-bottled, which means that most of the money is just going to employees that haven't been replaced by machines yet. Good for the economy bad for my wallet.

4.75/5  rDev +15.6%

Bottled in 2011
Poured into a standard tulip glass
Aged almost 2 years. I had this fresh on tap once and I had mixed feelings on it. Once I have a chance to try this fresh in a bottle or on tap again I will update my review to include a fresh take.

Appearance: Pours a cloudy sunrise orange with a small finger of white head which dissipates extremely fast(as expected at 18% ABV). Surprisingly, a little bit lacing mixed in with the massive alcohol legs.

Aroma: This smells like a dynamite barleywine with a couple of years on it. Faint citrusy hops, sweet bready malt with honey highlights. Pretty interesting what a couple of years will do to this beer. Of course a little bit of alcohol peeking through it all. Overall, this really smells like freshly baked orange muffins.

Taste: Oily, citrus-y hops right away which oddly enough take on an assertive lime characteristic rather than the usual grapefruit notes, though age has definitely subdued them. Bready, honey infused malt quickly follows. The alcohol rears it's ugly head a bit, but the sweetness from the thick malt really keeps it at bay for the most part. Finishes dry, bitter and lemony. Slightly warming on the finish. Honestly getting a bit of a Gin and Tonic vibe on the finish.

Mouthfeel: Big, full bodied, VERY nicely carbonated for its size(moderate carbonation) and the bottom line: Dogfish has managed to make a huge, 18% beer drink like a beer!

Overall: Very tasty and a rare treat here in California. Huge thanks to MykelJH for hooking me up with this bottle! Recommended to anybody who doesn't mind something different or a little bit of sweetness in their beers.

4.12/5  rDev +0.2%

Appearance: It has a nice cloudy deep golden/orange color to it. It has a nice off-white head that dies down moderately and leaves some nice lacing.

Smell: The aromas definitly give out hints of citrus, grapefruit,, pine and caramelly malts.

Taste: Like the aromas, it has a tropical hop character to it with some piney hops, sweet caramelly malts and a definite booziness.

Mouthfeel: It has a low/medium carbonation with a nice overall balance and feel.

Drinkability: It's a very smooth drinkable beer accompanied with good flavors and aromas.

Update: Had the Randal version at EBF 2014. Rating: 4.00/5

4.33/5  rDev +5.4%

Poured from a bottle into a snifter. Already enjoyed first half of bottle...on to second half...

A great looking beer. Poured a rich orange color with a huge, creamy head. Color of head was similar to that of vanilla ice cream. Lots of tiny, sparkling bubbles rising up to form a sheet of foam on the top of the beer throughout the session.

For me, the aroma was mostly grains. I got a strong whif of rice similar to how sake smells - with undertones of hops. Also noted the fumes from the high ABV.

The taste was a total 180 from what I was expecting. I imagined I'd taste a fruity, hop-centric beer, but instead found the taste was mostly malty and VERY sweet. I found the sweetness to be similar to that of chocolate...lots of toffee/caramel flavors with the slightest bitterness. Also reminded me a lot of a dessert wine, brandy or rum...especially when you consider the high ABV. I thought the alcohol would be much more pronounced than it was, but it seemed to have been mellowed out by the rich flavors.

Mouthfeel was unlike anything I've ever tasted. Moderate carbonation, but much creamier than other IPAs. Creamy and smooth all the way down.

Overall, I really enjoyed this offering from Dogfish Head. I'm a loyal follower of the brewery, and I expected nothing less. The complex flavors - while not as hoppy as I expected - were nonetheless satisfying and saturated the palate. Flavors were not TOO overwhelming, though. I'm looking forward to trying the 2nd bottle I bought in a year or two...depends on how long I can hold out...to see how the flavors develop and change with age!

4.75/5  rDev +15.6%

3.85/5  rDev -6.3%

Bottle pour courtesy of drewone at Woodshop 7 held at Beachwood BBQ & Brewing in Long Beach, CA.

Pours a clear dark orange with a foamy beige head that settles to a film on top of the beer. Small dots of lace form around the glass on the drink down. Smell is of malt, citrus zest, citrus fruit, and some mild nail polish remover aromas. Taste is much the same with a definite alcohol kick with each sip. There is a medium amount of hop bitterness on the palate after each sip. This beer has a good level of carbonation with a crisp mouthfeel. Overall, this is a good beer that is tasty but I am not really enjoying the nail polish remover aroma from this one.

3.97/5  rDev -3.4%

Big nose on this one. Tangerine, mango, papaya, pineapple, lime rind, and caramel. All these flavors are easily picked out as none of them exhibits dominance over the others. Very well balanced on the nose.

Visible carbonation rising through the orange beer. It actually has a head which I am shocked to discover as it's only 18% alcohol, LOL. Lacing is minimal, but I expected none, so thats better than nothing.

Booze right up front, but it is controlled as this sweetness punches through. The tropical flavors outperform just about anything else in the taste here. It's as if I had just drank a tropical smoothie with caramel syrup laced within it.

120 Minute IPA is thick too, sticky sweet. The carbonation is at a moderate level, allowing the beer to self clean itself off your palate. It's a great beer for sure, but one that I don't see myself buying too often because of the $1/oz price tag.

4.25/5  rDev +3.4%

4.25/5  rDev +3.4%

3.41/5  rDev -17%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.25

12 fl oz brown glass bottle with standard pressure cap acquired at Lukas Liquor in Colorado and served into a nonical generic pint glass in me gaff in Castle Rock, Colorado. Reviewed live. Expectations are high given the hype, though I usually find Dogfish Head's beers are overrated.

Served straight from the refrigerator and allowed to warm over the course of consumption. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

A: Pours a two finger head of great cream, good thickness, and excellent retention considering the high ABV - it retains at least five minutes. Very impressive indeed. Bravo. Colour is a murky semitransparent copper-gold. No yeast particles are visible. No bubble show.

Sm: Hoppy, but not as much as expected. Floral character is dominant, with some malty sweetness. The bitterness is buried in there somewhere. No alcohol or yeast comes through. Fairly simple. A mild but fairly subtle strength aroma.

T: Extremely hoppy, bringing out the bitterness towards the climax. Structurally quite brief - the flavours are there for a moment but then they vanish. Malty sweetness helps hide the hop content and surprisingly little alcohol comes through. No yeast here. Clean malts form the backbone. Raw malts and sugars bleed into the finish, a poor effect here. It's very full-bodied - actually a bit overbearing, which is surprisingly for how consolidated the flavour is. No real pine or citrus comes through, just floral quality. It's shockingly simple for how monstrously hoppy they'd have us believe it is. Very little subtlety or complexity at all. I like it for what it is, but aside from how hidden the ABV is, there's little of note. Strangely balanced.

Mf: Quite oily, especially towards the back end. Smooth and wet, with some needed coarseness up front. Too slick towards the back end, allowing the flavours to escape all too easily. It gives you little time to enjoy what's there. Too heavy and overbearing on the palate. Makes my stomach feel a bit bloated. Slightly overcarbonated. Too thick.

Dr: Nowhere near as overtly hoppy as they'd have us believe - which is probably a good thing. It feels more like a sugar bomb than it does a hop bomb. It's alright, but it's not at all worth the hefty price tag. This is Dogfish Head's best beer? I'm really disappointed, though I'm getting used to that feeling with this brewery. I will say that it's shockingly drinkable for its well-hidden high ABV. It tastes like it's about 7.5-8.0%. It doesn't live up to its hype, but it remains a decent IPA. I wouldn't buy this again.

B-

An okay candidate for aging, as far as IPAs go.

Drank fine out of a nonical pint glass. I don't think there's any glass that'll do much better.

Best paired with food. Perhaps an acidic salad. Fresh apples.

2.25/5  rDev -45.3%