120 Minute IPA | Dogfish Head Craft Brewery

ABV varies from 15-20%.

Added by frank4sail on 03-24-2003

Ratings: 8,124 |  Reviews: 2,298

4.22/5  rDev +6.3%

As one of the reviewers below said, Dogfish head's 60 minute was one of the beers that turned me toward craft brews, and later, forever forsaking the NASCAR fair. Somehow, I'd missed the 120 minute until now. Among my beer loving friends, it has not been loved. Liked, perhaps, but nothing of the fan-fair I'd expect from a beer with even more (!) hops. I have come to find that it is in fact possible to over hop a beer. The 120 Minute was accused of this, and I echo the sentiment. That is not to say, by any means, that I don't enjoy the beer. I really like it and certainly recommend it. I'd even say it's come to enjoy a certain celebrity status, and perhaps should be tried at least once for that reason. But, lacking much else in complexity, this is a pure hopper, and it is strong. I've given this a slightly higher overall mark than I did for it's other sub-catagories, and I'd have to admit I'm not sure why. I can tell you two things though. The first is that this isn't complex; the smell is hoppy, so is the appearance and the taste, not much more needs to be said. The second is that I haven't had a good beer in a while, so having some type of quality round out my evening is a major plus, even if the hops are a bit smothering.

3.75/5  rDev -5.5%

1.5/5  rDev -62.2%

3.5/5  rDev -11.8%

3.88/5  rDev -2.3%

Their 60 minute is what turned me onto craft beer and ever since I've wanted to get my hands on their 120. And now that I finally did, I can't wait to review it.

Just under a finger's worth of of ivory white head rest on top of its hazy rich copper body. I'm actually suprised any head was yielded at all. Alcohol legs coat all sides of the glass. Judging from the viscosity of the beer coming out of the bottle alone, you can tell this is going to be a big DIPA.

Coming into this, I had the preconception that juicy, fresh, and resinous hops would pour out of the glass truck loads at a time. Instead, I'm greeted with a beer that has an equal balance between rich, bready, caramel drizzled malts with an underlay of chocolatey mocha and hops that ooze out syrupy grapefruit, sappy pine, lemon peel, and alcohol soaked peaches. An aged American barleywine seems like a more suitable descriptor for the style than a DIPA but that's besides the point. As the beer warms, both the alcohol and mocha/coffee characters increase in intensity.

Slick, syrupy grapefruit and mocha sprinkled with cocoa paste themselves on every corner of the palate. Sweet alcohol follows close behind while lemon candy cuts through the middle. The finish brings out the beer's richness, packed with sweet alcohol, thick sweet bread and lemon drops.

For 18%, the feel isn't as heavy as I'd expect. It's full bodied nonetheless with a slick, syrupy feel. The alcohol is present but integrates well with the rest of the beer.

It's not what I expected but it's still tasty, well crafted beer. It's rich, it's sweet, it's syrupy and it sure is a sipper. I'll take a fresh 60 minute over this but I'm glad I tried it.

3.75/5  rDev -5.5%