120 Minute IPA | Dogfish Head Craft Brewery

3.5/5  rDev -14.8%

3.25/5  rDev -20.9%

4.5/5  rDev +9.5%

4.3/5  rDev +4.6%

I had bought this a few months ago and have let it sit for a while mostly because of the ABV, it has to be drank at the right time. So now mid April, I am trying one that is dated 2011.

I really like this beer! The price it too high, but being a 2IIPA, the taste is stellar for the style. Really reminds me of what I remember a Double Crooked Tree IPA was like from Dark Horse.

This pours a hazy Auburn color. Has a nice citrus like aroma to it. As for the taste, it's not as hot as so many say. At least not to me. It's got quite an onion like taste to it, similar to what I noticed in the Double Crooked Tree mentioned above.
Very malty, just like most DFH brew, they didn't deviate here.

Overall, I enjoy this beer, and it's great for the style, but there are too many alternatives that cost SO much less. If you are big on ABV and want to have a 1 drink night, this is PERFECT!

3.93/5  rDev -4.4%

Overpaid for this, but it's hard to come by in Texas ($21 for a single bottle!) Resisted urge to drink; finally gave in and treated myself on my birthday.

A: Looks thick. Gentle pour into tulip barely clouded at first; leaves a minimal head and virtually no lacing. Red-orange in color. I can't see through to the other side of the glass.

S: ABV comes through first of all. A bit fearful; anything with a "liquor" smell really turns me off. However, that smell dissipates within a few minutes, and then I'm getting some apricots and grapefruit.

T: While I can get the ABV in the taste, it's not overpowering. Fruity flavors are coming through. A gentle sweetness. Very little hoppy bitterness. No lasting aftertaste. (The 18% ABV makes me weary of taking too big of swallow, however.)

M: Wine-like thickness. Crisp carbonation. Mouth not burned by ABV, but can feel the warmth as it gets to my throat.

O: Given its cost, I probably wouldn't buy this often. The ABV is scary, especially when you consider how smooth of a drink it is. I'd say the ABV hits you more readily in the DFH Santo Palo Marron, which is only 2/3 of this brew's ABV. Taste-wise, probably not the best Imperial IPA, but very good nonetheless.

3.75/5  rDev -8.8%

2.83/5  rDev -31.1%

Hit the shelves this morning, poured to pint glass the beer is a crystal clear golden amber with a small 1/2 finger white head, little retention and virtually no lacing. The nose is very muted, no hop character whatsoever, malty with clear caramel malt character. Bready. Hint of abv. The taste is a disappointment. Immediately upon the palete is a strong alcohol heat, no hiding it. Strong and aggressive. Mildly bitter with a lot of bready malt, again little hops. Way to strong and sweet, unbalanced. Medium bodied and adequately carbonated. Overall, this is a boozy beer. Too expensive and not enjoyable. I will not be back.

120 Minute IPA from Dogfish Head Craft Brewery