120 Minute IPA | Dogfish Head Craft Brewery

ABV varies from 15-20%.

Added by frank4sail on 03-24-2003

Ratings: 8,363 |  Reviews: 2,368

4.5/5  rDev +9.5%

18% etoh! 120 IBU's! This is a beer to be enjoyed, not chugged! This is a special beer to be shared and savored like Sam Adams Utopia. The 2 are very similar except 120 is carbonated. A very heavy beer. This beer is one of my favs to start the night out with! Every year I stay at the Crosswinds Motel, right next to the Dogfish brewery/flagship store in DE, just to get my Dogfish fill!

3.73/5  rDev -9.2%

12 oz. bottle poured into a tulip glass. Bottled in 2012.

A - Poures an apple juice amber color with a bubbly head that dies almost immediately. Leaves a halo of white carbonation around the edge. Some cloudy wisps of sediment settle towards the bottom.

S - Very dank hops, molasses, a touch of rubbing alcohol, and some fruitiness (apple, date).

T - Menacingly sweet up front. Tastes a bit like maple syrup or sweet tea. I get some hops on the back end, but they don't stand up against the massive malty sweetness. Among the other flavors I can pick out are golden raisins, burnt sugar, caramel, and mandarin orange. Despite the obnoxiously high ABV, I don't get much alcohol in the flavor, just a little bit of heat in the back of the throat.

M - Sticky with a very mild carbonation. Pretty thick, but enjoyable and smooth, like a fine liquor.

O - I find it hard to give this beer a rating because it is so very different from any other IPA out there. I shy away from really sweet beers (English BW, Quads, etc.) but I thought this wasn't too bad. I had it fresh in hopes that some of the hops would cut the sweetness, but I think the freshness mostly just kept the alcohol heat. I have a few in the cellar from the last couple of years, so I look forward to trying it aged for a few years to compare. It's definitely a sipper, but pretty good and unique.

4.27/5  rDev +3.9%

I love Dogfish Head and enjoyed the 120 minute overall. It's really too big to evaluate by comparing to other beers and is more of a hybrid beer/champagne/sipping spirit. Great smell of big ABV when poured along with notes of citrus remaining you it's an IPA. Lighter amber appearance is accompanied by noticeable carbonation, which is also evident when you first sip. Surprisingly smooth taste for such a big IPA and enjoyable finish. By no means a session beer, but a wonderful experience drinking this beer.

3.72/5  rDev -9.5%

Enjoyed this 12 bottle out of a large snifter glass. Bottle indicates it was bottled in 2011.

A: Pours a very hazy orange-copper hue with a 1-finger white head that quickly dissipates into a wispy lace leaving a partial trail down the glass.

S: Strong sweet aroma with big whiffs of alcohol. This smells almost like a potent barley-wine.

T: Extremely sweet and alcoholic flavor. I can see how they tried to curb the sweetness form the malts with a ton of hops – but they barely come through in the flavor. Finishes sweet and boozy.

M: Heavy body and minimal carbonation.

O: This is an extreme beer and is not for everyone – but I enjoyed it thoroughly. It is definitely a sipping beer and best shared with a friend or 2.

3.75/5  rDev -8.8%

Photo of
3.5/5  rDev -14.8%

You had this beer. Write a review.

3.5/5  rDev -14.8%

3.45/5  rDev -16.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Thanks yeahnatenelson. I've been wanting to try this one for a while now.

Appearance. Pours a hazy gold amber with almost no head.

Smell. Fruity hops and sweet malt, some booze, oranges and grapefruits.

Taste. Whoa. Big sweet malts and huge amounts of hops. Quite fruity and pretty boozy, but not nearly as bad as I expected given the crazy abv. The hops come in waves and just beat the tastebuds senseless.

Mouthfeel. Full bodied with a slight sticky feel, low carbonation.

Overall. Holy fuck, this thing is kicking my ass!!! I wanted to review another beer after this but there's just no way. I'll probably just go to bed early and hope I can taste again in the morning. Very unique though, and very glad to have experienced it.

I keep thinking about a youtube video I saw a while back while I'm drinking this. What a clown.

120 Minute IPA from Dogfish Head Craft Brewery