120 Minute IPA | Dogfish Head Craft Brewery

ABV varies from 15-20%.

Added by frank4sail on 03-24-2003

Ratings: 8,176 |  Reviews: 2,322

4.36/5  rDev +10.1%

A: This is just a beautiful color. Looks like amber in liquid form. Very bright gold around the edges. Small off-white head that disappears nearly instantly. Lots of alcohol lacing

S: Immediately hit by a harsh, rubbing-alcohol type of smell. Once you get past the brutal aggression of it, though, it starts to open up to some heavy hop characteristics, quite nice

T: Tons of hops, mostly citrus in character, right at the front of the tongue. Transitions into a pretty boozy beer, with some caramel, sweet accents.

M: Quite thick, a slight alcohol burn. About what it should be for this beer

Overall, I was really surprised with how much I liked this one. I had heard about it being a sweet, boozy mess, but I think considering the amount of alcohol and hops, it is a very well balanced beer with lots of great flavors. I had this one fresh, and have some more to age. I really wish this was easier to get, because even fresh, this would be a nice occasional treat

4.47/5  rDev +12.9%

Thanks to Hoyt for bringing this back from his travels up north.

Pours a dark, hazy orange with a quarter inch of soft, dense, white head that has good retention. The nose is very bready and malty with a hint of birthday cake sweetness and some faint citrus hop aromas. There are some definite alcohol esters here. The flavor is identical to the nose. The taste is heavy malt up front with notes of birthday cake and bread followed by a mild citrus hop character with hints of grapefruit and pineapple. The alcohol makes itself known throughout. It adds warmth and body as well as some bite in the finish. The mouthfeel is full bodied, incredibly warm, very smooth, and mildly carbonated.

I really enjoyed this beer. It's like the 90 minute on steroids. The malt character is intense and lends to a more barley wine-like flavor. The hops are more mild but noticeable. It's incredibly boozy, but in a good way in my opinion. I'm sure age would mellow this out big time. If I can ever come across it again, I will definitely be buying a few more.

4.26/5  rDev +7.6%

Found a bottle of this on the clearance rack at some rinky-dink liqour store in CT. Had a 2011 bottle date. Clearly shouldn't have been there but I am not going to complain - only cost me $3.50!

Split with a few family members on Xmas day. Poured into snifters.

Poured relatively lightly, producing a tiny amount of head in each glass. See through golden-brown in color. Not much action going on in terms of bubbles or sediment (I believe I left most of the sediment in the bottle.

Initial smell blew me away. Minute I took the cap off my nose was filled with some sweet floral scents mixed with evergreen. Definetely can smell the alcohol on this one. The smell made me want to take a big swig, but I was able to resist temptation and took a small taste to contemplate.

Taste was incredible. I let it roll around on my tongue to hit the different parts of my palate. Initial taste is of sweet honey and sugars, followed closely by a stinging alcohol taste, finished with a nice bitter punch. Aftertaste reminded me of one of my favorite childhood snacks - a grapefruit with honey on top.

Moderately heavy mouthfeel. Reminded me of watery-syrup. Alcohol definitely adds a stinging sensation and serious heat in your throat. Left me with a dry mouth.

I truly enjoyed this beer. I am not sure if it had to do with the setting – Stowe Vt., snow falling, music playing, hanging with family - or the fact that this only cost me $3.50. Regardless, this is a beer that should be enjoyed, contemplated, and reflected upon. It is truly one of a kind and I will be looking forward to trying different vintages of it.

4.14/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 4

Pours a hazy golden peach color into the mini tulip. A solid half inch dense cream head lingers indefinitely. It's not leaving lacing, but sheets of foam.

Intense grapefruit, citrus pith, pine and fresh cut grass open the stroma, with caramel malt rounding things out. The finish is sweet. There's a hint of alcohol, but it's well hidden, considering abv. Bread dough surfaces as it warms.

A huge citrus punch assaults the palate initially, with tangerine, grapefruit, and a tart, almost lime flavor trying to counter the alcohol flavor...but not succeeding entirely. Alcohol is somewhat mellowed by the sweetness of the caramel malt. A pine resin bitterness reigns in the finish. The more sips I take, the less offensive the alcohol. Much better after the initial shock!

Body is thick, but not as thick as I expected. Guess the alcohol thinned it out. Carbonation is moderate and refreshing. Alcoholic warmth closes out the sip.

Never had this on tap and it's been years since I had a bottle of it. It's a bit hot, but definitely hop dominant and a unique experience. Worth a try. Excellent beer...minus the burn.

3.92/5  rDev -1%

Had this on 2012-01-17 in Columbia, PA at Bully's and again on 2016-06-02 in Columbia, PA from a 12oz bottle. Most of the comments are from the original tasting.

A - Surprisingly clear orange amber with a 1-finger off-white head into a 10 oz tulip glass. The head fades to 1/4 finger pretty quickly good sheets of lacing. A very good looking beer on the initial pour.

S - Initially almost no smell because it was served too cold. After warming it with my hands I got vegetal hop cones with some mint and herbal/medicinal accents. Sweet malt like date nut bread, alcohol and orange hard candy. Pleasant.

T - Very sweet orange and peppermint candy then a huge wallop of hop floral and bitterness. The brown sugar/fruit sweetness and bitterness duke it out with neither one winning. While they are playing with each other, you notice the big boozy flavor and then the more subtle aspects of the medium roasted malt, oak/tannin and a and leafy/medicinal spice. Quite enjoyable as a big hop explosion.

M - Thick body and light carbonation. Syrupy initially but thins out by being cut by so much alcohol.

O - Very nice. It can appeal to those that like a sipping liquer that want a hop forward brew. Pricey though at $12/10 oz. Yikes. Glad to enjoy this sipper once but not something I'd seek out often for the price. (note, it was over 4 years between my tastings ;>)

120 Minute IPA from Dogfish Head Craft Brewery