120 Minute IPA | Dogfish Head Craft Brewery

ABV varies from 15-20%.

Added by frank4sail on 03-24-2003

Ratings: 8,553 |  Reviews: 2,415
3.92/5  rDev -4.6%

Nice amber color, with rather little head that fades very quickly, but as I swirl to get more aroma the head comes back and stays. Beautiful lacing and very small bubbles that stay, the second time around. Smells surprisingly sweet (I was expecting pure hops); some fruit, flowers definitely (floral hops), grapefruit (citrus hops). Quite sweet. Mouthfeel is very smooth and coats the mouth in a syrupy effect; medium to full bodied. Tastes quite sweet; again, syrupy. I am quite surprised by this because as an imperial IPA I expected overwhelming dominating hops, but this is not the case. It is very sweet, smooth and drinkable. Perhaps the alcohol will hurt drinkability in greater quantities but I shared a 12 oz bottle with 3 coworkers. Finish is long, syrupy sweet. If anything hurts drinkability the most for me it is the sweetness.

3.6/5  rDev -12.4%

Bottled in 2004, Sampled August 2004
Pours a brilliantly clear, bright copper color. A wispy head forms, but then quickly disappears. Surprisingly it has a medium level of carbonation, which I was not expecting in a beer of this alcohol content. The aroma is of apricot, hops and some brandy-like alcoholic notes. There is almost a smell of candied hops here.

The beer is thick and sweet, yet somewhat light and not nearly as alcoholic tasting as I expected. A fair amount of hop flavor manifests itself as apricot, tangerine, pine, wildflower fields, and a bit of bitterness in the finish. This beer is much more enjoyable than I was expecting from such a beast. It certainly could use a bunch more hop flavor (especially given the billing). In the end though the hot alcohol wins out, and is a bit too much. This is good in a 2 to 4 oz samples, anything else is just too much.

4.77/5  rDev +16.1%

Serving type: 12oz bottle served in a snifter.

Appearance: Hazy golden brown, virtually no head. Lethargic bubbles struggle to reach the surface. This could be dangerous.

Smell: Fresh hops, fruity, floral, sweet, sweet malts.

Taste: Candy sweet. I think I'll need to brush and floss after this one.Offensive hoppy kick. Zing! The high alcohol content isn't noticeable until it makes it's way into your digestive tract. Mommy!!?!?!?

Mouthfeel: Huge body, thick syrupy mouthfeel.

Drinkability/Overall: Needless to say, drink this beast in moderation. Quite an outstanding specimen. This is definately one for the cellar. Wow!

2.23/5  rDev -45.7%

OK, let's start with the good things about this beer. The lacing and head were of acaliber that EVERY beer should aspire to obtain. The head was creamy and had a nice flavor, although it's gone now and I didn't write down anything specific that I tasted. The lacing stuck around until I washed out the glass. And that concludes my paragraph on the positive qualities of this beer...

...on to the negatives. For one, this beer is sickeningly sweet. I expected a load of full frontal hoppity and instead got corn syrup in my glass. To be honest, this beer hurts my tastebuds so much that I don't even detect any hops at all. 120 Minute even smells too sweet, and that's saying a lot coming from someone who'll try just about any spiced beer, stout, or "alcopop" (in the right situation) -- all sweet beverages. For another, this beer is extremely alcoholic, and I was beginning to feel it after only about 3 ounces. That's a feature of mixed drinks which I enjoy, but beers should cut me some slack in the drunkenness department.

All in all, I will never buy this beer again, and if I hadn't paid $10 for the bottle, I would have dumped it out.

4.22/5  rDev +2.7%

ok here we go, my first review. and what a beer to start with! heard lots of good things about this one so i thought i'd see if it lives up to all the hype. definately impressed. pours very smooth, appears a dark amber color. smells very strong and hoppy (duh). loving the taste... i can definately pick up on the high ABV (20%), but in a very good way, not bitter. it feels warm going down in the throat all the way down to the beer belly. excellent. tastes as smooth as it looks, almost sweet tasting/feeling in the mouth, don't notice a lot of carbonation. drinkabilty... well, if it weren't $8.99 a bottle i'd drink it all the time, as it packs quite a punch, but it's a bit intense for an everyday beer. a great treat every once in a while (or more). definately pumped about this beer, everyone should treat themsleves to this one. cheers.

4.67/5  rDev +13.6%

750ml bottle: I've been saving this one and finally decided to give it a try. It pours into the glass a fairly clear, orande tinted dark golden color. There wasn't much head to it at all. The aroma is strangely both strong and subdued. Very aromatic floral hops to the nose. Some sweetness in there also. The taste is potent. You know that it is strong, but alcohol is hidden in the other flavors. Malty, hoppy, sweet, suprisingly not too bitter, very complex. Excellent.

3.06/5  rDev -25.5%

Paid $6.50 for a 12 oz. bottle.

I hung onto this for quite a while before drinking it. I should have held on longer. Smells very nice, hoppy and sweet. Tastes very very sweet, nearly sugary. Probably could have aged 2 years or more. Looks pretty, not much head to it. Heavy alcohol, but not as heavy as you'd expect. This is a decent beer to share with your friends and enjoy the novelty, but not for much else. Hopefully I'll come across another some day and I can store it for a long time.

Thanks to babyhobbes for giving the bottle to me.

3.75/5  rDev -8.8%

been hanging onto this for a while, i bought it a year ago this month.
rich copper in color like the 90 min with a thinner head than it's cousin. alot of sweet malt smells coming of this beer. brown sugar aromas are present as well. it has an herbal hoppiness too, but it's surprisingly weak. you can smell the 20% abv too. the taste is not what you expect from it at all, there are some very strange flavors that i'm not sure i can describe, and definitely haven't tasted in a beer before. caramel and thick molasses with pear seem to be the dominant sweet side of this. the hops are present with citrusy, grassy herbal and earthy qualities, but not at all as strong or dominant as i thought. there are some spicy almost cinnamon like qualities to it as well. the alcohol is present throughout. this is a very unique beer. it's like DFH went so over the top with this double (triple?) IPA that it became a different creature all together. the body is pretty syrupy and delicately carbonated. i could do with with it being a little lighter. drinkablity is not going to be too high, because first it's like drinking maple syrup, and second an entire bottle is a session in itself. this was pretty good, i'm definitely intrigued.

4.25/5  rDev +3.4%

Dogfish Head 120 Minute IPA - 2003.

I shared this beer with a good friend recently. We paid $8.99 for it, which seems to be about the going price for this Double IPA at most beer stores. I had my 6 oz sample out of the bottle and served in a wide mouth wine glass. The beer was cold when we bought it, but we let it sit for about 15 minutes to let this warm up a little.

The appearance was a copperish brown. Very minimal head on top. Really nice sticking lacings on the sides.

The smell was malty, fruity and a faint wiff of esters.

This was one complex beer and very difficult to compare to anything else I have tried. The taste has a malt sweetness, classic DFH hops intensity and an apricot/grapefruit/apple blend. It was hoppy, but not as hoppy as I was expecting it would have been. This is well balanced and a very strong beer. I noticed a slight carbination of bubbles that prickle your tongue. We sipped this one and talked about it as we went along. This will warm you up quickly and probably would be great by a fire in the middle of winter.

The idea that this brew is 20% ABV is incredible. I was very surprised at how good the drinkability level is on the beer. Remember, it's all relative and for a 20% monster, this is smooth in comparison to other beers that are somewhat close in strength.

I am really glad that I finally sampled this beer after contemplating buying this on the shelves of some package stores. It was nice splitting this with a friend who had an equal appreciation for what this beer is all about.

3.82/5  rDev -7.1%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle. Beer is a transparent copper color. The head was nice and thick on the pour, dropping down as I let the beer sit. The smell is malt accented with hops. I've been waiting to taste this one for a while now as part of my collection to share with my best friend when he came to visit. Here goes. Not what I expected. The hops are hidden behind a syrupy sweet malt character, but that's what you get when the beer is going upwards of 20%ABV. I'm slightly disappointed. The beer is very syrupy and thick to drink. There is almost no carbonation evident. I'm splitting this one with my buddy, and I imagine that we will take a good hour to enjoy our halves. I'm glad to have tried this beer, but I don't think I would seek it out again for a while.

3.47/5  rDev -15.6%

Presentation - 12 oz. bottle making some pretty lofty claims such as "the holy grail for hopheads" - I hope it delivers. Here we go.

Appearance - mostly transparent copper color with a tight white head, very tight indeed. Pretty nice.

Smell - lots of hops obviously, suprisingly little to no alcohol aroma at first, though once it got closer to the nose, alcohol became more apparent. What is there is a decent spicy corrolary to the hops. Also noticed a pretty fruity, grapey aroma as well.

Mouthfeel - suprisingly light bodied, more robust than most IPA's for sure, but not spectacularly so. Slick sweet sort of feel as the beer went on.

Taste - whoa! I has a lot of expectations for this beer, but was still taken aback by its overpowering aroma right as it enters your nose and then the palate dessimating flavor right as it goes in the mouth. Starts with a light carbonation bite and then some sweet malty/fruity taste at the front that gives way a powerful aromatic hop kick which lingers. I didn't find this really bitter at all to be honest, less so than the 60-minute version, but maybe some of the other hop flavors were so overwhelming I couldn't tell. Goes down with some fruity flavors, want to say grape, kind of reminiscient of their Raison D'etre. Alcohol flavor present as well, but not what one would expect for 20% abv, and leaves a warming burn in the throat. Interesting spiciness that hit towards the end, especially as I got farther along in the bottle and it warmed up some. Leaves a refreshingly candy sweet feel on the lips with a fragrant, slick sweet, fruity, hoppy character all over the mouth. Couples a too alcoholic taste with a semi-cloying sweetness that I wished would have smacked me with a bitter resonance.

Drinkability - Had to sip this one the whole way and was well on my way to being drunk by the end. Couldn't possibly drink two bottles in a row, but I'll give it some credit, since there is no other 20% abv beer/wine/liquor that I have tried which could keep me satisfied for over 12 oz.

This beer tore my palate a new one, so to speak. I could use a DFH 60-minute just to rinse my mouth out after this. Won't be having another right away, but definitely want to drink it again in the future. Very hard to rate this one because 1) it's not to style, but that is not really a downfall; 2) it's very interesting, but flawed; and 3) I want to give them credit for their effort and experimentation but have to be honest that this beer didn't win me over. Try it, but go back to the 60-minute for most occasions.

3.77/5  rDev -8.3%

I've had this stashed away for almost 6 months now. I had a hard long day at work so i figured this was as good a time as any to break it out. Rich colour, boardering on amber. Powerful smell, very sweet. This was to be one of the sweetest tasting beers i've ever had. Where's the bitterness? Hop flavor is relaxed, but i was expecting alot more. Seems like any kind of depth in flavor is killed by the alcohol. I can't say I'm not enjoying this beer, because I am. Just underwhelmed. I do very much enjoy the thickness of this beer. IPA? doesn't taste like any ipa i've ever had.
Hell, bring on another!

4.79/5  rDev +16.5%

The pour was a medium copper red with a half finger of head that quickly dissapated to a light white ring around the edges of the beer, this hung on throughout the glass.

The smell was heavy in malt sweetness, with just a hint of apricot or date. Also hidden in the back of the nose was a hint of alcohol.

The drink hits hard with sweet malt right up front the middle is hop bite, no, a hop oil that coats the tongue. The finish is nothing but alcohol heat.

I'm glad I finally got my hands on this one. I really think this is a good sipping beer. It's not refreshing, nor would it go good with food. Still I think I'll get another bottle and put it up for five or eight years just to see what age does to this one. I really don't see why they call it an IPA, it's more of a barley wine in my opinion.

If you're looking for hops, like the 60 or 90 min. don't look here. The alcohol and malt hide the hops, but ask me again in a few years and maybe I'll change my review.

Thanks to a good friend I just got two bottles of the 2016 release and have changed my rating on this beer. Throughly impressed this time around. Now if I can just keep my hands off the second bottle to let it age awhile.

2.26/5  rDev -45%

After trying the 60 Minute and the even better 90 Minute I was intrigued by this beer. To be honest, I was disappointed. The beer is way too sweet for an IPA in my opinion. The alcohol and malts completely overpower any of the hops. It may have lots of hops but the balance is definitely not there. Perhaps it would taste better after aging for years as the bottle suggests, but I'd rather spend my money on something that is drinkable now in not in ten years.

4.25/5  rDev +3.4%

Golden amber in color with just about no head, but that is to be expected. Big-time hop aroma, floral, grassy, herbal, and grapefruit. Sweet malt and alcohol scents are also in there. Starts very sweet and rich, syrup-like. I thought this was an IPA...ok here we go. An underlying hop explosion that shows the full range of flavors that can come from this herb. Doesn't get overly bitter, but nicely showcases the flavors: citrus and grapefruit, floral, grassy, and earthy. Thins out a bit towards the end, plus a dash of fruitness. Alcohol makes itself known, but doesn't get in the way of this flavorful brew. Full bodied, rich and surprisingly smooth. Drinkablilty is scary, but you had better watch out.

High octane and very flavorful. I found this to be much more enjoyable then the WWS.

4.22/5  rDev +2.7%

120 minute ipa is like a nuclear blast in your mouth(insano hoppy) and your belly(20.0%abv). pours a dirty gold color with a thick, sticky billowing head. smell is a hop explosion with a heavy citrus(grapefruit) flavor. taste is unreal. so hoppy, oily, sweet with a tinge of alcohol that is well hidden considering the high abv. mothfeel is numbing and warming- very sticky. drinkabilty is compromised by the alcohol content but, one to start off or end your night will be highly enjoyable if not interesting.

3.5/5  rDev -14.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3

Surprisingly very clear light amber without much head, but still a considerable sticky white ring. Deep alcohol heat hits the nose and supervises a very malty base, extremely sweet, caramelic and fruity, it made me think of pale molasses if it existed. Huge hop profile is mostly floral and grassy. Fatiguing sweet alcoholic palate, burning like a strong scotch when you keep it in mouth a minute or 2. Made me think of a sunny day, floral and skin burning. Very bold, yet pretty clean. Huge creamy body with smooth carbonation. Interesting, but ultimately not very enjoyable to me.

3.85/5  rDev -6.3%

This 12oz bottle lasted 6 months in my "cellar" before I let it fulfill its destiny.

I poured this intimidating brew into a tall schooner glass with reckless abandon, and I was rewarded with a mellow orange, crystal clear brew with a short but thick hoppy head. The beer is full of hop aroma, but unlike other double IPAs, I got a strong whiff of malt and alcohol too. The aroma is hard to place -- I just know it's very different from Alpine or Stone... Not English hops. There's an element of citrus but also other flavors. The beer is terribly sweet. Cloying. There's a liqueur-like thickness and alcohol taste. The hop bitterness is medium high but I don't really get good hop burps, and it isn't puckering, probably because there's so much candy sweetness. Unfortunately, the sweetness sticks all over your mouth hours after you finisht the beer. Oh yeah, that 20% alcohol knocked the crap out of me after about half a glass. sheesh. Surprisingly, the alcohol, though apparent, was not off-putting or astringent, like it was in EKU28.

Overall: lots of hop flavor to ponder, and the alcohol is pretty fun, but it's too sweet to drink often. However, Venom's review said the 750ml was less sweet, so I'd love to share that with say 10 of my closest friends. Also, he suggested this could bear some aging; if it can attenuate the cloying sweetness, this could be one amazing beer.

4.82/5  rDev +17.3%

Without a doubt, this is the best beer I have ever had.

While I still consider a rookie when it comes to tasting craft beer, I decided to enjoy a night of Dogfish Head IPA, first sampling the 60 Minute, then trying the 90 Minute variety, and capping it off with a bottle of the 120 Minute.

It took over an hour for my buddies and me to find the package store that we suspected stocked this beer, and it was worth every second. The beer poured roughly, with very little head, but I was still impressed with its evident character in the liquid. The carbonation did nothing special, but such demonstrative beer behavior was unnecesary, since the beer is truly all about the taste.

Before even tasting the beer, I thoroughly smelled it, enjoying it through and through. When I finally brought myself to drinking it, it was literally pure bliss. The first taste was of slight wood feel; it was almost a dull variety of the 60 and 90 Minute, each which featured a strong nutmeg and wood taste. After swirling it around, the hops came straight through, and I knew I was priveleged to have had the opportunity to taste this beer. While it cost me $6.99 for a 12 oz bottle of it, it was worth every penny.

The worst part of the beer was the last sip, since I knew it meant I would have to wait to enjoy such a great beer again. This is the morning after I had my beer tasting, and I'm still drooling and yearning to taste that sweet nectar at least once more.

Buy this beer if you come across it, and drink it slowly. Best buy I have ever made.

4.32/5  rDev +5.1%

Note: Sampled @ Shoreline Beverage Center, Meet the brewer 6-19-03 from one of the last 750 mL bottles available in the US.

Appearance:

A light brownish-yellow with extreme evervescence and mild head.
Smell:

Super sweet, like maple syrup with a hoppy bitterness present.
Taste/Mouthfeel:

Can't believe how sweet this is. Unlike any IPA imaginable. According to the brewer, this beer was a mistake (it should have resulted in a 12% ABV brew). No one knows why this beer turned out the way it did, but I'm glad this is the result. Like drinking nectar. Absolutely deliscious. Hops and malt are balanced to perfection. Alcohol @ 20% is present, but not as much as one would imagine.

Edit: Got an email from DFH on this review. Apparently the story behind the 20% alcohol content of this beer is a false one that the person who gave the talk at Shoreline likes to tell. The beer was always intended to result in a 20% ABV.

4.5/5  rDev +9.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

This is one of the best big beers I have ever had. It comes off very strong like a barley wine, but then you feel the tingle of the hops on your tounge. This beer was a nice amber and the foamy head stuck around and left a nice lace on the glass. The smell was blissful. The taste was a deep round big beer flavor with an aftertaste of firey hops. Before you know it you can feel your tongue going numb. I could definately drink these on a regular basis however I paid $8.99 for a 12oz bottle and it is not available where I live so lucky for me I won't be going broke any time soon. However the next time I am out and about and I run across this sucker I may buy the entire stock. I highly suggest and congrats to those who have had the opportunity to enjoy. This is definately for the experienced beer drinker.

3.41/5  rDev -17%

I think I'm a beer addict. Notice I didn't say "alcoholic;" although I get the occasional urge to get drunk, my real weakness is beer. So I should know better than to log onto BA when all I have in the fridge is my roommate's Bud Light. Also, it was after 2 a.m., so I had no chance of getting any good beer here in Ohio.

I read a few reviews, and found myself craving beer. I thought ANY beer would soothe me, so I tried a Bud Light for the second time in my life. Needless to say, it did nothing for me. So I tried another one. Again, nothing. (Side note: to say Bud Light has as much flavor as seltzer water is an overstatement.) Then I remembered: I have a 12 oz bottle of DFH 120 min in my cabinet! I put it in the freezer and went back to BA.com to check out some reviews of DFH 120. I was surprised to learn that a full 2.4 oz of my bottle was pure alcohol. I hadn't known that when I bought it. I read some reviews, and grew a little apprehensive about trying it; there was a lot of fluctuation in the scores, from a 2.4 to a 5.0.

My bottle says it was brewed in 2003. It's now *early* morning on June 24, 2004.

About 30-40 minutes after putting the beer in my freezer, I took it out and poured it. Perfect temperature. A nice thick head developed. I took a few big sniffs, and it immediately reminded me of the Hitachino Nest New Year's Celebration Ale (2004). Sweet. Spices. Not very much that I could call "hoppy," although I'm still learning what hops are all about.

Taste: Again, very reminiscent of the HN Celebration Ale. Not as much ginger flavor, but sweet, almost too sweet. In a blind taste test, I would classify this as liquor, not beer, but I would be hard pressed to say what kind of liquor this is. Very unique flavor. I still don't taste what I would call "hops," but again, what I know of hops comes from Stone's Ruination IPA. Mouthfeel is that of thick liquor, like carbonated Jagermeister. Drinkability is also that of liquor; I would say 12 oz is way to much to drink in one sitting.

Overall, I would say this is a good once- or twice-a-year beer. As far as IPAs go, I prefer DFH's 60 minute offering. For a strong IPA, I'd say Stone's Ruination is as good as it gets. This just isn't a pale ale.

4.07/5  rDev -1%

2003 bottle, 750 mL. I couldn't wait the decade they say it can age for.

Appearance: This beer pours a deep amber body with a foamy yellow/off white head that clumps and fades to a thin lace. The lace sticks in rings as the beer is consumed.

Smell: Rich hops and malt, lightly bitter hop oils.

Taste: Thick, sugary maple syrup feel balanced with huge leafy hops that poke through and dance on the tongue. There is a good tingle of hops in the aftertaste, but it is subdued. If you're expecting a hop-monster, you will be let down. This is instead a wonderfully rich and filling beer, that pushes the envelope in terms of ABV and craftsmanship. The balance between the rich carmel malt, the extra sugar and the bitterness imparted by the hops is something exceptionally done. Light citric esters pull through and are rolled in sugar, keeping the pucker down. I haven't had the 12 ounce version, but in the big bottle, even after only a year, the sweetness doesn't override the entire flavor, instead it helps it along.

Mouthfeel: Decadently rich and thick. Almost like drinking maple syrup, though some small carbonation gives a breath of life to this belly-filler.

Drinkability: I actaully put away the entire bottle in one night. The alcohol is very well masked, and it will sneak up on you. But, I don't really see this as drinkable on a large scale. This is the antithesis of a "session beer", but it's worth it to at least say you've tried it. Very good overall.

You'd think they could learn to stick the label on better though (every bottle I've ever seen has this strange rumply label).

4.68/5  rDev +13.9%

This beer's got a nice clear flaming copper appearance. A slight beige head recedes to a thin collar quickly. Lace is sporadic, but pleasant enough. Really nice citric orange peel aroma. Good hop nose. Not overwhelming. Nice little sweet malt accent on the nose as well. The flavor profile has such a nice balance of sweet malt, bitter hop resin and spicy alcohol. None of those characteristics comes through in an overwhelming way. The drinkability is beyond belief for 20%. DFH does it again in this respect. The sweet qualities are really appealing in the context of this IIPA. I just want to keep sipping, drinking, gulping, etc.... The lingering aftertaste has a little alcohol sting. Hops add some bitterness and pine sap/ hop resin tones. The carbonation seems just right....not too high at all. The body is close to full. Wow. This is better than I expected.

Give me a quarter barrel of this and I'd be set...for about a week.

2.86/5  rDev -30.4%

Dogfish Head 120 minute IPA

This beer billed as an IPA is but a shallow IPA. It seems to me as if DFH put all their effort into creating a beer with 20% ABV rather than the IPA art. The IPA parts seemed as if it was just a vehicle for transporting the 20% ABV.

The beer poured with a dark amber color.
A short frothy head appeared only to collapse back from whence it came a few minutes later.

The nose was a scant hoppy, malty wisp.

The flavor was surprisingly non alcohol centered. But still considering that the bottle label said “IPA”- it’s but a scant IPA. There bittering units of Hops were there, commingled in a deadly embrace of a strong note of sweet malt. Some notes of caramel and other sweet related permutations of malt were there, but considering the IPA paradigm, the flavors seemed out of place.

The alcohol was not center stage, but none the less could not be ignored, especially 10 minutes after half the bottle went down my gullet.

Finally, I have to consider the 10 bucks a bottle.

Was lots of fun to try to satiate my curiosity, but will this brew become a regular in my cellar or my tasting cabinet? Not likely.

120 Minute IPA from Dogfish Head Craft Brewery