120 Minute IPA | Dogfish Head Craft Brewery

ABV varies from 15-20%.

Added by frank4sail on 03-24-2003

Ratings: 8,475 |  Reviews: 2,398
4.29/5  rDev +4.4%

The color on the pour a lightly hazed deep copper with a rather smallish head that is spumescent in texture and the color a light tan as the lace forms it creates a thick and sticky sheet to smother the glass. Whoa Nellie! Nose big time hop floral, sweet malt, fusel alcohol, just from the nose you know this is going to be one bad assed beer. Start is devastatingly sweet with a thick malt profile and the top all rich and full in its feel to the palate. Finish is lenient in its acidity, the hops robust and delightful in their bite, but the alcohol rules the day, aftertaste somewhat alcohol bitter, vinous and desert dry with the hops, sweetness and alcohol all lingering on to the very end, what a “Hoot”, I thank my good buddy , The_Tsunami for this bottle.

3.92/5  rDev -4.6%

Been waiting to try this one for a long time. Finally found it in my area. Pours a golden color with very little head, but adequate amount of carbonation and it doesn't leave much lacing on the glass. The aroma is very sweet and strong with hops. The alcohol and a strangely strong aroma also come from the beer. The taste is far from what I was expecting. It starts out extremely sweet/tart then smoothes out and leaves the taste of many fruits (and alcohol) in your mouth. The flavor is incredibly complex and enjoyable after you become accustomed to it. For a 20% abv, they hide the percentage really well.

4.22/5  rDev +2.7%

This beer surprised me. After reading the label 'this is the holy grail for hop heads' and 'dry hopped every day for a month' I expected it to have a hop profile far surpassing anything I've tasted. When I tasted it, Two flavors were dominant, the alcohol and the malt. If I tasted this beer blind, I would of guessed it to be a barley wine.

It's sweet warming flavor makes it a great beer to enjoy on a cold night.

I loved this beer, but I won't be able to enjoy it very often, it's a bit pricy ~$150 a case.

4.04/5  rDev -1.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 2.5

Wow. I can recall not too long ago when 120 Minute IPA was my favorite beer. My friend and I used to buy 25 oz. bottles of the stuff, slowly drink it over the course of an evening (get quite tipsy in the process), and think we were in heaven.

It's been awhile since I've gone back to the beer and actually tried to review it - I recently bought 4 bottles (2003 vintage), and left 2 in the closet to age.

Pours a dark amber amber color with little head, which quickly disappeared. Smells pleasantly of pine, with hints of citrus/lemon. Taste? WOW... it's as thick and complex as I remember, and super sweet, too. The hoppy taste is there, but it's pretty much the exact opposite of bitter. I taste caramel at first, then sweet maltys, and then some hops , with an orangey-hoppy aftertaste (but still little-to-no bitterness). My lips taste of caramel and sweet oranges!

As it warms, I get a bit more of a grassy, hoppy flavor, more caramel, and a slight taste of apples (very nice!) that I never noticed before. The alcohol is very present (perhaps too much so), but for a 20 % ABV beer, I can't complain. Unfortunately, it's a little wild, and the flavors don't mix as well as I remember them (because of my refined tastes as I continue to drink beer? or a different vintage? i don't know ...)

This beer is amazing - and not your standard IPA. It's just a little tooo sweet and all over the place right now. I think I'm going to take the lone bottle in my fridge and let it join the other two in my closet. This must age incredibly well!

3.55/5  rDev -13.6%

The light golden brew arrived at the table with a low but persistent head. The aroma was resinous of hops, but still subtle and not overdone. You can sense malt in the background behind the hop aromas. As it warms a huge alcohol aroma develops which overwhelms the senses. The flavor is cloyingly sweet but contains grapefruit and citrus which are well balanced. In 10-15 seconds after sipping the sweetness dissapates into an infectious dryness which evolves into and alcohol warmth that lasts. The balance is well done once the cloying sweetness is gone.

It would be difficult to consume much of this. More of an apertif than a beer, and if the alcohol did not deter you, the sweetness would.

3.55/5  rDev -13.6%

Pours with a half inch light yellow head that remains for a while. Clear copper in color with a few bubbles slowly rising to the top. Aroma is entirely of hops, but a bit sweet with juicy grapefruit notes. The palate is at once sweet with a definite warming sensation. Mouthfeel is thick and syrupy. The start is sweet with a hint of dark fruits and pineapple syrup. The hops come in quickly with some slight grapefruit notes, but are not as sharp as I would expect. Some acidity from the hops sticks in the mouth past the finish, but even the hoppy finish it is still overly sweet. I really felt the alcohol in this one go straight to my head by the end of the glass. I couldn’t image drinking more then one. This brew is a bit too sweet for my palate especially when I was expecting a high octane IPA. The sweetness and alcohol degrade the drinkability, and make it seem more like an IPA/barley wine. Not sure how this will age. If anything, I’d hope that the cloying sweetness mellows. I enjoyed the 90 Minute much better.

4.05/5  rDev -1.5%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle brewed in '03, it's orangy-peach with a small to moderate head that fades quickly but makes an occasional guest appearance when the glass is swirled. The smell is rather sweet, with the hard to pinpoint characteristic Dogfish Head smell. Although the smell of hops is there, it doesn't qualify as the "holy grail for hopheads" by any stretch of the imagination.

The taste is ripe fruit with just a trace of hop bitterness. A bigger dose of hops probably would have made things work a bit better. It definitely doesn't smell or taste like a 20% abv beer; the alcohol is warming and a bit mouth-numbing but not overwhelming. The mouthfeel is delightfully creamy. What's strange is seeing the "Other IPAs" listed at the side of the web page with the likes of Hop Devil. It doesn't taste like any IPA I've ever tried. I was beginning to think I'd never get my hands on this one. Thanks to RoyalT for the hook-up.

4.8/5  rDev +16.8%

Gorgeous bright ruby red color, very sizable, bubblingly creamy head...
Aroma...massive, intense, huge, towering, flowering, flowing over in the air, in the senses, in the soul, ...big, fat fruit, grapefruit, peach, apricot, mango, more...and not too bitter, surprisingly pleasant...
...and, to taste...Oh, my goo'niss! Ah, ah, ah!!!
INCREDIBLE occurence on the palate, prodigious, amazing, and highly flavorful...floods and gushes, uplifts, elevates, urges pleasure at the very instance lip meets cup and ale enters body...full-bodied to say the least, with a long, tantalizing finish, and additional candyish notes that linger on and on...
An IPA that lays me low, knocks me down a notch, and leaves me no recourse but to bow down and let it wash over...every subsequent taste provides further onslaughts of flavor...oh, yum, yummy, McYum-Yums...
During consumption of this ale, I had no idea of the ABV, for it's been carelessly omitted from the label...20%!?!?! ...hot damn!
Sticky, fruity, gummy, sweet, this surely transcends the boundaries of the India Pale Ale, and feels closer to a barleywine, or even a mead or brackett...but whatever the Hell it is, I love it!

Everlasting thanks to DrewS. for this bottle!

3.28/5  rDev -20.2%

12 oz glass, on tap at Blind Tiger, NYC 10/8/03 Night of the Imperials Part 2

Appearance/Head: Orange color. Rather hazy. Very light head, which is understandable due to the very high ABV.

Aroma: Rich fruitness. It smells very sweet. Some hops, but not the heavy hop aroma I would have expected from 120 IBU's.

Taste: Very thick body. Candy sugar with hops. Notes of brown sugar, blackstrap molasses, and caramelized apples. Overly sweet, not very balanced. Maybe it needs 200 IBU's? The taste actually reminds me some of Samuel Adam's Triple Bock.

Bottom line: I applaud Dogfish Head for created such a unique brew. Unfornuately this is one of those experiments that doesn't quite turn out as you had hoped. I recommend you try this beer if you have a chance, because it is one of a kind.

4.42/5  rDev +7.5%

Um. Wow?

Looks like freshly shaken corn syrup with little air bubbles rising. Golden-ish tone that just looks sweet. Aroma hints at pine trees and alcohol but drifts somewhere towards the tropics -- canned pineapple, sugary fake lime... Sweet on the tongue, fades to mild bitterness. Just bizzare -- but nice.

Putnam very correctly observed that this tasted better after baked goods -- namely the chocolate chip cookies that the 40-year-old "schoolgirl" (It was the day after Halloween; what can I say?) generously gave us.

Sweet, finnicky, bizarre, a bit overdone. Say what you will. It's probably all true.

But this is a hell of a beer with some real paradoxical complexities and simplicities that help you forget you're talking about a beer that weighs in at 20%.

A recommendation for the folks at DFH: Put a Surgeon General-style warning on the label: "Share with friends." Who the hell put this in such a huge bottle?

4.37/5  rDev +6.3%

Bright sticky hop fragrance. No grapefruit, though plenty of cool herbs like chervil, parsley and basil...candied, spiced lemon peel in the background. There is a suggestion of honey and caramel on the nose which becomes more dominant on the palate. Very sweet, with flavors of pineapple upside-down cake...concentrate. I was just beginning to think this beer was way over the top (narcissistic, attention-grabbing) when a costumed woman from the next table offered us chocolate chip cookies.
This is dessert beer. Drink it with cakes, cookies, buttered, flamed fruit and balance will be restored. Really beautiful in this context. Somewhat awkward (and oversized at 750ml) alone.

4.14/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 4

Appearance – Scarily devoid of any head to speak of. The body is florescent orange and very clear.

Smell – Strong, floral hops with a big orange compliment. There’s some balancing malt as well making for a well-rounded aroma.

The sweetness is primarily tropical fruit. There’s a huge pineapple and orange melon aroma as well as smashed cocktail cherries. The malt is kind of bready and very solid. I swear this smells like a good Abbey Tripel.

Taste – This was rich and chewy like you wouldn’t believe. The orange malt flavor is big here, read Abbey Tripel again, with huge alcohol notes. The hops are lost in the madness.

The fruits from the nose are monstrous; almost overpowering. Mixed with the strong alcohol it’s like an Abbey Tripel cocktail. This lacks the subtle notes of the equally powerful World Wide Stout. This ale shamelessly flaunts its high ABV and style deviation.

Mouthfeel – No carbonation and somewhat smooth, all things considered. This ale is a behemoth in the mouth. Don’t drink this with a raw cut in the oral cavity. You could use this stuff to numb the gums for a root canal. The alcohol is overpowering in the mouth, which is too bad because there are some good flavors in here that get lost in the booze.

Drinkability – I wouldn’t recommend driving cross-country and sucking down a few of these bad boys. You have to take it real easy with this batch. I did my taste and gave the rest to the wife to finish.

3.35/5  rDev -18.5%

A bit over the top in most categories, this beer is less an IPA and more a barleywine in taste. Rather than belabor its high ABV let's just say that the body feel is a bit too thick and syrupy, the sweetness not balanced too well by the hops, and its drinkability very limited by all of these factors. I'll try again at some point to see if my sense of this beer changes.

2.63/5  rDev -36%

This beer didn't really resemble an IPA IMO. Sure, the appearance was pretty good and the smell wasn't bad either. In fact, the smell was very fruity and citrus'y' with a nice warming effect on the nostrils from the alcohol. My hopes were high at this point. Mouthfeel was full and thick...again, not bad. Unfortuneately, that is where the average/good qualities of this beer ended for me. It tasted like a World Wide Light! Very malty and syrupy tasting. The somewhat pleasant fruity smell did not transfer to the taste. Drinkability, forget it. My bud and I split the 750ml, and were ready to be done with it before our glasses were even half empty. Curiosity of this beer's "gimmick" persuaded me to purchase it...and at $20, it was a big mistake.

3.38/5  rDev -17.8%

12oz bottle

This beer poured a thick creamy white finger sized head with a surprisingly clear amber red/orange body.

The nose was very fruity. Citrus, lemons, limes, some sharp pepper, round malt, yeast. A nice big maltyness. Not as much of a hop presence at the name would suggest, but it was definitely there.

The taste was a big thick doughy malt. Full bodied, but very easy drinking. A sugary sweet caramel malt taste. A firm alcohol warmth. Tight black pepper, citrus hop. An even bitterness that comes out more as it warms. but the sugary sweet malt really dominates over the hop in this beer. This beer does not taste 20% at all.

It took me over an hour to finish this beer and it really took on a different character as it warmed. The hops came out a bit more, but still.. the sweet malt dominates over the hop.

I'd really be interested in aging this beer a few years. I could see the sweetness blending amazingly with the hop to form almost a hop candy taste.
Good beer, but I'd take the 90 minute over this any day.

3.55/5  rDev -13.6%

Calling this an I.P.A. is ridiculous. Everything about the flavor says barleywine. It has that characteristic buttery fruit aroma common in barleywines and it was surprisingly not hoppy given the name. Sweet and alcoholic and definitely best in small doses. It was odd to look at it next to the 60 and 90 Minute. The 60 was by far the palest but the 90 seemed just a hair darker than the 120 and had a better head.

4.12/5  rDev +0.2%

12oz. bottle poured into a tulip-style glass. It pours a hazy amber orange color with two fingers of head. There is a fair amount of lacing left, which is unusual for a 20% brew. The smell is very sweet with the aroma of citrus, flowers, and alcohol. The taste starts a little bitter, then fruitiness in the middle, and just the slightest bit of alcohol on the finish. The mouthfeel is super thick and heavy, much like World Wide Stout, leaving a thin coating over the lips. The drinkability is fairly good for this high-alcohol brew. Something that every great beer lover must try once.

3.3/5  rDev -19.7%

So, this beer is a monster, 20% ABV. Drank a 750 ml I recieved for my birthday (with no idea of its strength) during a movie (Kafka's The Trial) and standing up was quite the chore...Here it is in it's new incarnation as a 12 oz. bottle.

Pours a hazy orange blond, with a fluffy barely-off-white (yellowish) head, really healthy looking, leaving nice trails. The head reemerges on swirling the glass. Smells very heady (astringent), floral hops, hop resin and sweet alcohol.

Tastes syrupy sweet to start, beyond malty sweetness, hop resin and candy or sugar sweetness. Theres a saturated hop bitterness...then, whoa, the alcohol really takes over (both on the tongue, and in the brain). I don't even taste hops anymore, and being an I.P.A., I have to say "???" Even with swirling in the mouth, the hops still take a backseat to the sweetness and heavy alcohol. A burley barleywine, I say, with more than it's share of sweetness.

Mouthfeel is syrupy, sticky, and really lasts on the palate. Please note that any beer after this is water.. save it for a night cap. Drink slowly.

Drinkability, well I don't know what to say, probably best served (as it was at AOBF) in 4 oz. increments.

Realistically, this beer might be too much, maybe it'll mellow a bit with age (says 'Ages Well' on the label). I love DFH, but the 90 minute IPA and the Olde School (barleywine) both do different aspects of this beer, IMO, better than the 120 Minute does itself.

2.16/5  rDev -47.4%

Corked 750ml bottle- I really don't know about this. Super sweet, syruppy and sticky, unbelievable mega hoppyness, very in your face, which can be nice, but they've gone too far with this, almost undrinkable. Maple-fricking-syrup to the max, with heavy citrus and pine. Too much, i'm sorry (Bottle-GBBF 03')

4.07/5  rDev -1%

A golden brew with a small amount of quickly dying foam on top. It seems as if hops were planted inside your nose. Spicy and floral to the extremes.

This beer is pretty bitter, but the huge presence of hops gives it a somewhat sweet taste at some times. It is definitely what I would call and Imperial IPA. It will dry your mouth out quite a bit, but it is still pretty drinkable. The alcohol is there, but not at the lever you would expect for 20%. This is one intense beer, and if you can chew on hops, you will like it. I will say there are definitely other hop loaded IPAs that are better, but this one is excellent and unique.

2.63/5  rDev -36%

an i.p.a.??? okay...i guess.. i think old sam was blowing smoke up our you know whats! this is no holy grail for hop heads! where the hell do they get the 120 i.b.u.'s from??? dunno???
appearence...honey color maybe?? head....where?
smell....aroma...malt.. sweet malt.
taste..mouthfeel..aftertaste...finish..? whatever...too sweet not enough hop bite to be called an i.p.a.(imo) also a tangy aftertaste. alcohol is present and so are the malts , but where are the hops!? 45 degree plato , hops must of been hidden in the grain bill im told. d.f.h. has a lot of beautiful offerings but in this one i am disappointed.

3.73/5  rDev -9.2%

I quess this beer qualify's for the new classification I2PA or Imperial IPA because of its high alcohol content. Not much of a head. Amber / dark amber in color. The aroma is like citrus candy with a faint floral hop bouquet just as you inhale. Because of the high alcohol this candy sweetness dominates the flavor and the drinkablity. There is a small hint of hops flavor at the begining of the sip ( I sipped it ) . The sweetness kept me from rating the "smell, mouthfeel and drinkability higher. I would assume anyone drinking this kind of brew would know what they're getting into. This is a sipping drink to warm you up, not a cold beverage to quench your thirst. Oh and by the way I liked it as I am partial to strong beers.

3.23/5  rDev -21.4%

Poured a nice reverse cascade into a white fluffy head atop a hazy yellow bordering on amber body. There was tons of lace which does not surpirse me at all considering the alcohol contenet and subsequently the malt content. Smell was spicy and full of cinnemon, cloves, syrup, caramel and esters esters esters. There was a surprising lack of hops present. Taste was heavy. In fact heavier than most Imperial Stouts I have ever had. It was thick, hardly carbonated. This was the closest I will ever come to quafing a whole glass of syrup. It was incredibly sweet, a little sharp, but mostly maple syrup and honey. Hops were almost non-existent. Malts were all this beer was. The alcohol was not necesarily apparent, but it was also not hidden well. Hard to explain. The sweetness seemed to dominate masking the alcohol, but when you sat back and thought about it there was tons there. Drinkabilty? What can I say No one should drink more than one of these. An interesting brew that would be better designated a port or sweet brandy than an IPA. Many thanks to nomad for providing me with this hard to find brew! I will now go be drunk.

4.08/5  rDev -0.7%

I must give a big thanks to hoprus and francisweizen for the bottles that they provided.
Appearance: It pours a clear golden color with a medium bubbled white head. The head dies pretty quickly.
Aroma: Piney and citrusy.
Flavor: In the first sip (and I emphasize sip, don't try gulping this one) you're hit with a sticky, syrupy flavor. It's sweet, but not too sweet. Little tingles of alcohol pop up & tickle your mouth.
What surprises me is that it's more sticky sweet than hoppy.

3.31/5  rDev -19.5%

Pours an orange color? Seemed more like amber. Had lots of carbonation, a thin foam head that died, and some lacing. It's hard for a high original gravity beer too look great.. Smelled of tons of maris otter malts, syrup, brandy, grapefruit, roses, and tiny hop leaves. Lots going, but mostly toward the sweet side. Taste was of big ass malts, potent alcohol, syrup, and hops that come on only with warming. Unfortunately, the hop flavor was oily and barely bitter. Had some strange creamy but earthy notes too, and also some strange alcohol and hops flavor in the finish. And, a thick and syrupy mouthfeel.

This beer is wide and varied to say the least, I got a sweet bottle I guess.

120 Minute IPA from Dogfish Head Craft Brewery