120 Minute IPA | Dogfish Head Craft Brewery

ABV varies from 15-20%.

Added by frank4sail on 03-24-2003

Reviews: 2,274 | Ratings: 8,060
3.23/5  rDev -18.6%

Received this brew from chadbrew in my very first trade. I’m a bit weary about this brew but I’m pretty excited to try it. I’m guessing its right around a year old. Drank from my snifter while watching season 1 of Lost.

Appearance- Pours a copper orange with a huge off-white fluffy head. Great cap and collar left for the entire brew and more lacing than I’ve ever seen.
Smell- Ridiculous amounts of grapefruit, pineapple and mango. Super fruity and citrusy and fresh. Some peanut brittle background does manage to seep in under all of those hops but barely. P.S. Loads of alcohol.
Taste- Starts super bitter with massive amount of fruity grapefruit, tangerine, pineapple, bubblegum and cotton candy. That quickly passes and the ridiculously sweet caramel malt moves in and try’s to balance things out. It really isn’t successful but this isn’t the hop bomb I was expecting. It’s more of a malt bomb with loads of alcohol. Finishes with a lingering butterscotch aftertaste.
Mouthfeel- Very thick and syrupy with a oily slickness, light carbonation and loads of warming from the alcohol.
Drinkability- Sitting at 21% this brew isn’t exactly sessionable, or really drinkable. It’s definitely a sipping brew; a sipping brew that you should enjoy with a friend, or six. This isn’t exactly my cup of tea but considering the extremes that this beer reaches, it’s really not that bad. Worth trying but don’t expect a whole lot. I’m going to try one more of these in my life and its going to be super fresh.

3.37/5  rDev -15.1%

It pours a cloudy orange amber. Not much of a head, but there is some lace left behind.

Very strong pinecone-like hop smell--very fresh. This is too strong to detect much malt or alcohol.

This has the sweetness of fruit punch with a slight hop counter point. This is, for me, too much of a good thing. Strong alcohol warmth in the aftertaste along with the pine hop. Still, the sweetness prevails. Almost oily in the body with low carbonation.

This is an interesting beer, with extreme flavors all around. It is difficult to finish because of it overbearingness. I would say it is worthy of a one time try.

4.4/5  rDev +10.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

This beer is called the "Holy Grail for hopheads." In my humble opinion, I would think a hophead would get more enjoyment out of a nice, powerful IPA or American pale ale as opposed to an Imperial IPA, only because the malt profile is so prevalent in this style of beer that it somewhat detracts from a real big hop bitterness. But that is not to take anything away from this delicious brew.

It poured a smooth, clear amber into a brandy snifter, with minimal head, but nice web-like lacing around the edges of the glass. The aroma was very sweet. There were hints of fruits and flowers, as well as a musty smell that transformed into alcohol as the beer warmed.

The huge, caramel malt backbone really pushes through and navigates its way through a rambunctious hopfield to balance everything out. The bitter hops keep things interesting, as hints of fruits, citrus, and pine try their hardest to assault the palate. The alcohol is masked incredibly well, but you still feel like the beer has some weight behind it (and it does). Mouthfeel is smooth and thick, and not very carbonated. Obviously this is a sipping beer, one to be enjoyed with another (I was fine after splitting a 12oz bottle) and a perfect winter treat.

3.43/5  rDev -13.6%

12oz. brown bottle, purchased at Party Source, poured into a snifter. Dating is smudged but I believe it's from '07

A: Pours a ruby red grapefruit with a bronze tinting. 1 finger of off white head rises up in the snifter and eventually dies to a thick fluffy skim. Some patchy lacing.

S: Alcohol is definitely present with raw phenols. Alcohol doesn't destroy other scents. I can still easily get a nice sweet grapefruit oil with a spiciness to it. Malts are hugely sweet and very similar to a barleywine.

T/M: Bitterness isn't extremely huge like I thought it might have been. It could either be the massive malt backbone overpowering it or this might already be aged a year. Sweet citrus oils can still be detected. Malt is very sweet and slightly oak-y. Alcohol is still very present. Medium full bodied that is a bit syrupy. Carbonation seems on the low side after the first minute or 2.

D: Not bad tasting at all. I'd suggest sharing a single bottle with at least 1 other person. If I were blind tasting this without even a style given, I'd bet on it being a barleywine instead of a Triple IPA.

4.44/5  rDev +11.8%

Shared in 4-ounce increments with my brother and dad.

A: Poured a deep, hazy copper-orange with a small, but thick head of creamy, off-white foam. There is noticeable oily hop residue in the bottom of the glass, and carbonation is sparse.

S: Smell is quite alcoholic, almost to the point of being medicinal, or like "cleaning supplies." However, the oily pine, grapefruit and citric hop aroma is so deep and musky. There is a sweetness rising from it, but it's mostly like a wonderful Christmas tree.

T: Big time hops; sweet oily pine hop attack on the front, sides and middle of the tongue. There is a certain balance to it, and the alcohol is masked somewhat, but it could stand to mellow a bit, if that's possible.

M: Has a heavy, warming, syrupy mouthfeel, like your holding a bit of Aunt Jemima in your mouth. Hop sting is noticeable, and the alcohol burn is there too.

D: It's not difficult to drink, but it's meant to be savored, and as such, I wouldn't recommend having the whole bottle by yourself. It's a sipper, and a true delight for hopheads.

Got this bottle for Christmas from a friend, but I've been cellaring a 4-pack bought in Rehoboth Beach this August. Now that I've got it out of my system, I can let that sit for 5-10 years, if I can contain myself. 90 Minute is smoother, but this brew truly embraces the slogan, "Feel the Burn ... That's the Sickness, AND the Cure."

4.5/5  rDev +13.4%

Poured from the tap (May 2007 release) the liquid is a light rubby with good carbonation.

The smell is both fruity sweet and quite hoppy.

The taste is very good, bets batch ever! Lots of malt beating back huge amounts of hops. This may be more like a barley wine with all the complex malt taste going on, the hops must be huge to compete the way they do.

The mouthfeel is rich and thick, with good cleansing carbonation.

The drinkability of this batch is great, Prosit MK

3.58/5  rDev -9.8%

This an edited review. I previously rated it as a 1.9, but now I'm thinking I had a bad bottle. This bottle had a nice top with good lacing and retention. Pine aroma and you could already tell the alcohol was coming. Taste is dry and flavor gets lost in the malts. Lots of citrus. Mouth is too numb to report much on the hops. Alcohol bite is certainly there.

Still more than I'm really into most of the time, but with a better bottle I see what they were trying to do.

4.62/5  rDev +16.4%

Opened my first 12 oz. bottle of this last night (purchased for $9) and I'm sure glad I have more than this one bottle. Listed as 21% - definately has a high alcohol smell. Smells of hops and caramel.

You can definately taste the strong hops but they are very well balanced. Malts, caramel and sugar are also evident. I agree with some of the othere reviewers that the alcohol is very well hidden...in fact it was surprising to taste after I had the initial smell.

Definately not an everyday beer but nice for special occasions - it almost felt like I was sipping a cognac. I have several more bottles of this that I intend to age, and very anxious to try in another 2-4 years due to the fact it is so smooth now !

I would highly recommend any beer lover to try this at least once.

4.45/5  rDev +12.1%

Jesus, this is a beer! For around $9 at Total Wine in Boca Raton the price was well worth it...

A: Pours a honey caramel color with a small head that leaves nice retention. Very viscous looking pour! Syrupy and gooey it goes into the snifter.

S: Holy shit! Soo complex...floral nose, hoppy deliciousness, sugar and caramel followed by a perfect balance of sweet malts. The amount of hops is present on the nose, but it smells more sweet than it would be bitter.

T: Holy shit!! Again, a very complex taste consisting of a variety of hops and a touch of malts accompanied by large amounts of brown sugar. The best part of this beer is the incorporation of fruits, namely strawberry, dates, raisins, and a handfull of others. It is a very very very sugary beer

MF: Soo smooth. This beer finishes with a fruity and hoppy aftertaste. Very very viscous (bigger than some stouts I've had).

D: Very high despite the 21% ABV

You know you are drinking a high quality beer when the ABV is 21% and you cannot notice the alcohol. I guess that is why the bottle cap has a Yield sign on it.

Tried about 1/2 of one of these. I just could not stomach it. It was way to strong for my taste. Thick and syrupy, with very little carbonation. The smell was both sour and sweet, but definitely very earthy and aged-like. The flavors were hard to pick out because the alcohol was so over-powering. I would recommend this beer just to say you've tried it, but not one that I would suggest on a regular basis.

4.13/5  rDev +4%

This is quite a unique beer in itself. It is by far the strongest I have ever tasted. The strength borders a liquor. The taste and color is exceptional, but this beer is definitely a sipping drink. Maybe 2 or 3 on any particular night is plenty for that night. The smell is very sweet, I like the smell of the beer. The mouthfeel is very sweet also. The drinkability is semi difficult because it is a lighter beer that is very strong. I recommend anyone to try this beer at least once.

I had the pleasure to enjoy this on-tap at the brewery in Milton.
Served as a bright golden beer with massive white head.
Smell is very, very hoppy and overpowers any other taste sensations.
Taste is unique, to say the least. There is the strong hop character along with a massive malt presence that makes this beer almost like a syrup. Very sticky.
This is truly a one-of-kind beer.
Several ounces is enough, especially if you have anything to do the rest of the dya (or the next day)

3.69/5  rDev -7.1%

clear copper, minimal head, no lacing. completely still. tastes a little like you're eating hops. probably the hoppiest beer ever but not all that bitter; I'd guess that's from the equally-overboard, sweet brandy-like alcohol presence. this is a sipping beer by necessity, but the sticky, almost tussin-y aftertaste is difficult to enjoy. at least before the 21% ABV kicks in - at that point you could probably enjoy motor oil.

I would buy a six pack and age it 6-10 years before I tried it fresh again.

3.48/5  rDev -12.3%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into two small brandy snifters. Thanks to HeatherAnn for the assist!

Bottled on 5/10/07.

A: Pours a relatively clear cherry-orange color. Tiny off-orange head that leaves not a trace of lace. Extremely still.

S: Big syrup-y sweet tropical fruit drenched in caramel sauce smell. Alcohol is quite aparent.

T: See above with the addition of marachino cherries drowned in chocolate.

M: Big and thick. Viscous and syrup-y. Spicy, sweet, and bitter finish.

D: Almost as if it's too big for it's own good. A noble effort that's just pretty hard to drink.

Absolutely the best tasting beer I have ever had. It is absolutely the hoppiest beer I have ever had. It walks in at a delicious and deadly 18%+. 36 proof beer. I now see why it costs $10 a bottle. It has to be one of the best large extreme beers there are. Every time I can find 120 I will be grabbing some for the vintage closet.

3.35/5  rDev -15.6%

Served in a wine glass, poured from a bottled, bottled date of 10/7/07.

I have been wanting to try this beer for a while and decided that celebrating a new job was a worthy occasion for this pricey beer. $9.99 for the bottle.

Poured a deep deep orange, reminded me of the 90 minute, but more opaque. The smell was sweet and floral. Taste was sweet and tangy. If i were to blindly taste this, i would not think it was an ipa. I agree with some other posters that it tastes like a barleywine.

The first half of the bottle went down smooth and I tasted notes of pineapple. By the 2nd half, I think the booze was kicking in and my taste receptors shut down a bit. However it was very drinkable considering the ABV.

Overall I think is a bit too sweet for my tastebuds. I much prefer the 90 minute which i think is the quinnesential IPA.

2.45/5  rDev -38.3%

Has a very, VERY strong hop taste and smell. An IPA is meant to be hoppy, but this beer brings it to the next level. For any hopheads, this is the beer that all IPA's should be judged by, but for the casual IPA drinker, it can be very overwhelming in many aspects, one of which being the ABV.

I find the 60 and 90 Minute by Dogfish Head to be better beers and more accessible.

3.93/5  rDev -1%

Pours a hazy amber color with a one finger white head. Very nice lacing. Nose is resiny pine, bready and slightly fruity. Taste is dominated by a very robust, sweet malt backbone. Floral hops, though less than I expected from this super-hopped brew. Taste hides the alcohol very well; there's no bite, but a pleasant warmth with each sip. The mouthfeel is thick and chewy. It's oily and viscous and stays on the palate. I had been dancing around buying this one for some time-- glad I finally did. This is a big beer in all aspects. Though it'd be tough to have more than one in a sitting, I'd gladly have another at a later time.

3.93/5  rDev -1%

Appearance: Hazy red with carbonation bubbles streaming up through the beer, small but thick head.

Smell: Brown sugar, molasses, booze, pine, orange.

Taste: Sweetness, a unique orange-sugar-alcohol mix that finishes with a dry bitterness.

Drinkability: After drinking a beer this strong it is usually nap time, and that was the case today.

Found this for $3 a bottle when I took a trip out to Indiana several months ago. I should have gotten more but already was packing a ton of beer in my checked bag. This is a unique experience and a definite special occasion beer. I remember it being different than this when I had it several years ago, but both times it was good.

4.42/5  rDev +11.3%

"Bottled on 05/10/07 E"

"What you have here is the holy grail for hopheads. This beer is continuously hopped over a 120-minute boil and then dry-hopped every day for a month."

12 oz brown bottle poured into a tulip glass.

a: A hazy, muddy looking orange brown with a small off-white head.

s: Sweet and boozy, with hints of honey, pine and citrus hops.

t: Flavor is very unique, hard to get a handle on.
Seems more like a barleywine or some sort of malty liquor.
A deep, sweet maltiness upfront, then some oily, piney, citrus hops, and a spicy alcohol finish. Given all the hop talk on the label, I am shocked by its balance.

m: Very thick/syrupy/chewy. Full bodied. Hop oil coats the tongue.

d: Wow! What a beer. More of a barleywine then a DIPA.
Great balance of malt and hops really masks the alcohol.
Never would have believed its 21% abv. DFH really has a unique on here, despite the absurd amounts of hops, malt, and alcohol, no flavor dominates.
Surprisingly drinkable given the alcohol so BE CAREFUL!

3.7/5  rDev -6.8%

12 oz bottle.(2003) poured into a Kriek tulip.

Appearance - Poured an amber hue with good carbonation. I wasn't expecting so much carbonation from such a high ABV brew. Lacing was prolonged.
Smell - Citrus & floral notes with strong risings of alcohol...

Taste - Flavour was amazing balanced with bitterness & malt. Infact I was expecting more of a hop bomb, but perhaps after 4 years the hops have mellowed. Would have preferred more hop but maybe not possible given the heavy malt from the high ABV. Nevertheless a very good tasting DIPA.

Mouthfeel - Wow! Almost reminds me of drinking a single malt with that much malt. Alcohol is strong but not too hot.

Drinkability - Given its specs I was expecting an over the top DIPA but it much more subdued especially its hoppiness. Overall a good beer, not a great beer. Glad I tried it however.

4.22/5  rDev +6.3%

Sampled on tap at The Spot in Bethel, CT and served in a snifter, big props for that
Nice dark copper to red coloration with a small white head that doesn't stick around too long but any head is worth getting excited about on a beer this potent. The smell is alcohol, hops and sweet malt, under-attenuated sweet malt anyway, in that order, it is more like a liquor than beer, without the hops I wouldn't call it a beer by smell. The taste is very much the same as the smell however I'd call it fairly mild in comparison to some of the other extreme beers that I've had. Sure the alcohol is very noticeable, but it isn't overpowering, the sweetness tends to build but doesn't become cloying and there is enough of a hop presence to keep things in check and balance the sweetness, which is one of the places that World Wide Stout by dogfish fails. Mouthfeel is good rich full warming, peppery due to the alcohol and it leaves a residual sweetness and wine like drying sensation that is quite pleasant. Drinkability is ok but not very good, come on this almost isn't beer, definitely a sipper make sure you have no where to go for a while after you order one of these but worth every penny when sampled on draft, if you've only had it in the bottle, seek it out on tap!

3.87/5  rDev -2.5%

The local beer enthusiast store (deceptively called Liquor Loft) was kind enough to reserve me a few of the Dogfish Head beers released this winter ('07). After picking up an Olde School Barleywine, a World Wide Stout and a much sought-after 120 Minute IPA... I couldn't decide which to sample first.

Waiting a week or so, the 120 became my obvious choice, being not only the strongest but also possessing of a delightful reputation.

Pouring about half into a Delerium snifter, the head was quite faint and was paper thin. The tiny amount of head relegated itself to the edges of the glass and left a very sparse lacing. A clear but deep amber color fills the glass.

The smell was fruity and sweet, highly alcoholic but not overpowering. Notes of citrus and the hop flower's undertone.

Surprisingly, the taste hides the alcohol content remarkably. As both the hoppiest and most alcohol beer I've had to date, I expected an almost cognac/brandy alcoholic taste and mouthfeel.
The taste has an immediate impact of cidery sweet, with a caramel undertones. The aftertaste is a plethora of hoppy explosions on the palette, more like savoring a wine than drinking a beer.

The mouthfeel of this beer is powerful, the hops coating the tongue. Harsher than most beers, this also hurts the drinkability of the beer. Quite obviously, this is a sipping beer in which one serving is enough. Drinking a whole one is akin to eating a hearty sandwich.

All in all an exquisite beer I was glad to procure and delighted to enjoy. The only way to do it justice is to grab one yourself and give it a shot.

2.38/5  rDev -40.1%

I was excited to try this beer and got even more exicted after trying the 60 and 90 minute, but was sorely disappointed in the 120. It pours a copper/amber with little head which would be expected with some white lacing that stuck around while drinking. The smell was a fair amount of the hops(similiar to 60 and 90), but you could smell a medicinal/solvent aroma. The first taste was like a slap in the face! It is so syrupy sweet that I had trouble swallowing and tasting what else the beer had to offer. The hops aroma and bitterness is there as advertised, but the alcohol sweetness overwhelms the entire beer that there is no balance. I let it warm up some, which balanced the beer a little but not enough.

I enjoyed the novelty of trying this beer, but was barely able to finish even half a glass.

4.12/5  rDev +3.8%

Sample is from bottle labeled: "bottled on 10-10-07", and decanted into my Sam Adams glass. Served at near room temperature.

An average pour produced a 2 fingered creamy head that lasted longer than I expected for a 21% abv beer. Some splotches of lacing appear on the sides of the glass as you indulge.

Nose is absolutely huge .. biggest I've ever encountered. Big hop notes of course, which are of pine, hay, grass and citrus character.
Also present in the nose is huge sweet floral malts, along with the obvious alcohol presence.

Taste is surprisingly sweet (malty) up front, but all those hop aromatics and flavors are battling for your palate. The balance is pretty good, and the mouthfeel is immense. The 120 IBUs are clearly offset by huge malts. This is a very impressive beer, but not one I'd have more than one of at a sitting. First of all, at 21% abv, one is plenty. Secondly, at 450 calories per bottle, it's darn near a meal in a bottle.

I split a case with some friends, and will be cellaring the rest of my 'stash', to see how the beer matures as it ages. I did want to experience it "full force" right up front, so that I had something to compare it to later on.

It took me 2 years to get a sample of this brew from DFH, and I'm not disappointed. Like a fine wine, I will savor these on special occasions. If you can get your hands on some, it is an amazing experience, even if you can only enjoy it once in your life.

Na Zdravje