120 Minute IPA | Dogfish Head Craft Brewery

ABV varies from 15-20%.

Added by frank4sail on 03-24-2003

Reviews: 2,226 | Ratings: 7,917
4.15/5  rDev +4.8%

I've had the 120 Minute IPA several times now, and have been looking forward to reviewing it. This one is poured from a bottle with a "bottled on" date of 5/10/07 into a belgian style snifter. A 12oz bottle costs me $10 in the DC area.

Appears a very golden copper color with a sticky, off-white and slightly orange head. Held up to the natural light from the window the true beauty of this beer shines through; hues of ruby red and deep orange bronze shine brightly. The nose is, as could be expected with a beer of such high alcohol, boozy. But it's still attractive, because the layers of complexity filter down from there. Strong malts, powerful hops, aged dark fruit, citrus on steroids. The taste is bold and, if you're unprepared, can hit you like a mack truck. Strong alcohol presence eventually gives way to dark fruits, rich molasses, and hoppy resin. To me, it's almost like dining on an overwhelming serving of a piney butter pecan ice cream. Smooth, velvety mouthfeel. At times it's almost syrupy.

This is an intense beer and should not be taken likely; 21% ABV is hardcore for any brew. This is best served as an after-dinner drink, in my opinion, like a fine sherry or brandy. To be enjoyed in the smoking room with a cigar over a discussion of Rudyard Kipling or Ernest Hemingway. Something absurd like that.

But damn it's tasty. This one has been on the shelf for a few months, and I'm sure this sucker ages quite nicely, seeing as its alcohol level could sustain it for years. But I actually prefer the 120 Minute as fresh as possible. I think the piney/citrus notes in the hops stand out more when the beer is fresh. But I highly recommend it either way to fans and self-declared afficiandos of IPAs everywhere. But be warned... this is a BIG beer.

4.17/5  rDev +5.3%

Got this in trade from DDarden, cheers! Bottled on12/16/06

Pours caramel/apricot with 2+fingers of sand colored head. Good head retention & lacing

S: Big-time breadyness & piney hops.

T: Cakey, with honey, dates & in your face piney hops, plus some booze burn up front. Middle has pralines, caramel, baker's chocolate & more booze. Finishes dry, boozey with port notes, apricots & apple skins (fruitty)

MF: Chewy, slick, but a touch of carbonation, skews a bit malty to say the least

Drinks good for the abv, but I prefer a more restrained DIPA, at say 1/2 to 1/3rd the ABV. I would say based on my 2 tastings to age at least 3 years

3.65/5  rDev -7.8%

Pours murky orange with a nice and tame finger of head. Smells very malty/sweet and alcoholic along with just a hint of hops which is weird for an IPA. VERY sweet tasting with dried fruit, alcohol and I think there might be a little hops but that might be from me expecting a heap of them present in a big bad IPA. Though the alcohol is recockulously high, it’s not obvious at all. Feels extremely syrupy and thick. Totally not what I was expecting but that’s not necessarily bad. A nice treat but I can’t imagine drinking more than one at a time. Definitely a must try.

3.73/5  rDev -5.8%

The appearance was burnt orange with a sticky lacing that hugged the glass leaving little room for a great head. 120 minute had a very sweet and tropical smell while the alcohol was surprisingly not too noticeable for a beer at 20% ABV (Alcohol By Volume). The first taste brought a punch of caramel which flowed into a tropical fruit much like a pineapple then finishing quickly with hops. I expected this to be intensely hoppy but it yielded an overpoweringly sweet, thick and syrupy taste and mouthfeel with an astonishing hop balance. This DIPA (Double India Pale Ale) is definitely a sipper; very thick and heavy with little carbonation and high alcohol. Although the price seemed quite steep, one could justify it in ratio (ABV/price) to wine. The 120 minute term refers to the full two hour boil of high-alpha American hops. In addition to the full two hour boil, DFH radically dry-hops the fermenter daily for a month and then ages the brew for another month on whole-leaf hops! Pick one up if you see it.

12oz bottle into a snifter.

Pours a dark orange with a slight white head that drops to a ring. Leaves some sticky lace.

Smell is sweet pineapple and grapefruit.

Taste is super sweet malt and alcoholic heat. Some hops but not as potent as the malt. Alcohol is present, yet hides in the background.

Overall, a good brew. Pushes the boundries of beer. A bit too sweet for me to enjoy all the time, but is good as a once in while beer. Paired it with some hot wings and the alcohol cut through the heat of the wings. Very good balance.

3.33/5  rDev -15.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

I finally got my hands on this famous/infamous brew while visiting Northern Delaware. I found this beer and WWS at a liquor store across the street from my hotel and promptly releaved the store of their supply of both. The owner was more than happy to sell it all to me since no one else in this neighborhood was buying them. The beer poured a hazy amber/orange color with a rather large half inch head that receded quickly. The aroma was very malty and alcoholic, with the hops hidden in there somewhere. Where are the hops? Taste was hot alcohol, extremely sweet honeyish malts and citrusy hops. The longer I sipped on it though, the hops became overwhelmed by the massive sweetness. I was expecting a hopsmack in the face and instead got kicked in the balls with an un-Godly amount of malt. Mouthfeel was very thick and sticky in the palate. One 12 oz bottle is all I can handle. The combination of extreme sweetness and very hot alcohol makes this one a sipper. I'd be interested to see how this beer changes after several years of aging.

4.05/5  rDev +2.3%

This is really a beautiful looking beer. Little to no head to speak of but the color is orange and copper and very deep. It looks great. The smell is also incredible, hoppy, grapefruity, and slightly of honey.

After tasting it the sweet and honey odors are much more present and dominate the smell, making it not as great, but when I first smelled it before tasting it was incredible.

The taste is good and for the 21% abv the alcohol is surprisingly masked. The issue here, as others have noted, is that it doesn't taste hoppy or like an IPA really at all. It's just sweet and malty. The more I look at it and taste it the more it's reminding me of honey, which isn't necessarily bad but now what I was looking for here. Mouthfeel is great...for how sweet it is it's not syrupy and rolls around in the mouth quite pleasantly.

It's pretty drinkable but I won't be having more than one and I don't know if I'll drink this again, with the exception of an aged bottle perhaps. I keep hoping that one of these 20% abv beers is going to blow me away and become one of my serious go-to beers but thus far they are all just sweet and while they do have redeeming qualities they're not all that great. This is still a very good beer though and it has to be tried.

3.27/5  rDev -17.4%

The much-vaunted 120 minute IPA - it took me a long time to finally track down a bottle of this stuff, as most places I knew didn't carry it. However, as DFH has gotten wider distribution it's become a lot more commonplace. Needless to say, as a hophead and a fan of DFH, I was excited to try it. This is from the 12oz. bottles.

Pours a bold orange/copper, with a decent white head. Head diminishes fairly quickly. Smell is hoppy with some elements of sweetness behind it. The taste is where the sweetness dominates however. My expectation was to get smashed in the mouth by pure hops, yet the sweetness of this seems to overpower everything else. Given that it's 21 ABV, I would imagine this is to help cover the alcohol taste. My hope is that they would have really amped up the hops to add balance, but the malty sweetness just dominates. Mouthfeel is syrupy yet smooth, with a strong alcohol presence.

Drinkability for me has this as a one-off or occasional beer. I've actually been meaning to pick 2 more up so I can cellar them for a couple years and see how it tastes with age.

4.03/5  rDev +1.8%

This bottle was 1.75 years old and pretty tasty. The aroma was malty sweet with notes of alcohol and little to no hops. The color was a orange gold. It had a small, tight creamy head. The flavor was bitter for sure with a lot of sweetness. The alcohol is nestled nicely behind the sweetness. I wish it were less sweet so the bitterness and hop flavor could come out to play. I love this beer and its a great sipper after dinner but I want more out of it. I know I am asking a lot since DFH puts so much into it but a man can dream. The most impressive thing about this beer is its smoothness. The mouthfeel is velvety and viscous while the lack of perceived alcohol allows for it to be pretty easy to drink.

3.85/5  rDev -2.8%

Picked up a 4-pack from the Milton brewery on our beach vacation

a- pours a dark orange hue with 1 fingers worth of off-white creamy head that is mostly diminishing, minimal particulates and fair lacing

s- surprisingly sweet and syrupy malty nose for a DIPA, tones of citrus and dark fruit, pine-based hops well in the background

t- initially dominated by caramel malts but quick transition to citrus and piney hops that quickly fades, minimal aftertaste characterized by syrupy sweet malts and alcohol, not the most balanced DIPA i have sampled recently but a decent showing

m- quite a heavy-bodied, thick DIPA with mild carbonation and a stiff alcohol presence that is not surprising given the abv

d- With a mouth-dropping abv, it would be hard to drink multiple servings in one session; 120minute reminds me more of a hoppy strong ale than the DIPAs I am used to on the west coast, $30 for a 4pack is quite a pricetag and there isn't much uniqueness here for a return visit; DFH makes some great ales, however, with 60minute and Raison (not reviewed) being big hits on this visit; i would be surprised to see how the 90minute compares to its 60- and 120-minute brethren.

4.05/5  rDev +2.3%

I had the privilege of enjoying this beer on tap at the at the sierra grille recently. It was served in a small glass chalice.

Appearance- deep orange color, with a head that laced the perimeter of the glass. a very clean looking beer

Smell- Citrusy, grapfruitey, piney, It's deceiving. Despite the alcohol content of this beer it doesn't smell like it's loaded with alcohol like other beer of this caliber.

Taste-Somewhat malty balanced with adequate bitterness. The alcohol comes thru like an ice pick in the forehead, but in good way.

Mouthfeel-This is a full bodied beer, that coats your mouth with alcohol from the first sip, and lingers til well after the last sip . moderatley carbonated, with nice hop balance.

Drinkability- at 18% abv this one, ain't no session beer. Share one with a friend as a littel bit goes a long way with this beer. It's a sipper for sure.

Overall it's a mighty fine beer, I'll have to pick some bottles up to stash in my cellar.

3.71/5  rDev -6.3%

Poured gently into a tulip glass. A nice hazy amber, burnt orange color with minimal head and lacing. Very sweet smell, apricot, fig, molasses, earthy hops. I was expecting more hop aroma, but this one leans toward the sweet malt end of the spectrum. Taste is bold, very sweet at first with cherries, hard candy, pineapple, brandy. The hops come in at the finish, with some citrus flavors and just a slight presence of alcohol. Feel is slick and heavy. Viscosity reminiscent of liquor. This is a sipper for sure. The alcohol is well hidden behind the huge sweet malt and heavy hop addition. This is worth a try for its uniqueness and extreme nature.

4.57/5  rDev +15.4%

I love my friends& coworkers -- a former DFH employee moves away and finds a case of beer. Remembering my repeatedly yammering on about how much I enjoyed DFH beers, she hands it off to me. 6 120s, 6 60s, and a handful of Punkins. Not sure how long the 120s aged, but they're the caution/exclamation point caps.

A: Poured from the bottle into my Duvel Tulip. A 1-finger head with a fair amount of staying power leaves a very sticky lacing. Held up to the light it's a deep orange/brown with a bit of a ruby hint in the background.

S: On top of a base of a malty carmel, there's a strong, but not overpowering, hops smell of orange and other citrus.

T: Ahh, here we've got it... Starts with a bit of that carmely malt, but that's just a palate to paint the tasty hops flavors on top. The hops open with that citrus that you smelled. It's followed with a piney hops, but what's interesting is the way the flavors blend. It doesn't feel like two separate tastes, but they move into each other. The bitterness isn't overwhelming, but it fairly well balanced.

How can a beer this strong not have too much alcohol burn? It's definitely alchoholic, and you can taste it, but it doesn't kill the flavor, just encourages you to savor it like a nice bourbon.

M: This might be the closest thing to a weakness for this beer. It's still good, the alchohol makes itself known through the mouthfeel. It's a bit heavy, but it coats the mouth well. It's not strongly carbonated, but in the middle of the taste, tied with the piney hoppiness you feel like you're missing a bit.

D: This is a toughie to judge on drinkability. Compared with your average IPA, this isn't refreshing or exceptionally drinkable, but with the wonderful flavor, and especially with the high alcohol content, it's remarkably easy to drink. It drinks more like a good barley wine, so that's what I'll judge it on here, in which case, it's exceptionally easy to drink.

Overall -- I love this beer. It's the beer that I compare great beer with, but with all the great beer in the world, what do you need to pay $9.00 for a 12oz bottle for. Still I'll save the remainders and see what happens in a few years.

--Thanks Sondra!!!

4.12/5  rDev +4%

Poured into an Imperial IPA glass, pours a dark orange brown with a bit of apple amber red with a serious two finger head that leaves some serious thick heavy lace on the glass. Smell is a very fruity yeasty bread combination with some sweet mollasses in the mix as well and some figs, it has a Belgian type of smell to it. Taste is pretty sweet and impressive not a lot of hop bitterness just sweet raison and clove and also just a hint of alcohol burn, I was actually impressed on how well the alcohol was hidden being it 21%. This is a very different offering and one that I truly enjoyed drinking for it being so strong it actually went down pretty damn smooth and I sure felt smooth after drinking this beast.

4.02/5  rDev +1.5%

Bottled 12/18/06

Appearance: Pours an opaque copper with two fingers of off-white head. Okay retention.

Smell: Malt, dried citrus peel, apples, surprisingly mild hop character, caramel notes; overall very fruity and syrupy.

Taste: Hits hard with a sweet, caramel and malt front, which quickly falls leaving a fruity, candied-orange middle. Long finish is all pine and citrus hops, with mild grapefruit notes.

Mouthfeel: Very full mouthfeel, mild carbonation; probably could have used a bit more aging, as there's still some solventy alcohol character.

Drinkability: Surprisingly drinkable for a beer that seems so unbalanced at first taste. The hops and malt balance each other almost perfectly, and it goes down quite nicely.

3.97/5  rDev +0.3%

2004 Vintage with 3 years cellaring.

A: Burnt-orange, off-white head, no retention, residual sugar produces a little leg.

S: Big nose: pine, appricot, toffee & grapefruit citrus.

T: Toffee, appricot, pine; solid bitterness but it's overwhelmed by the residual sweetness; acidic; alcohol is warming, yet the true strength is well-hidden.

M: Moderate to full body is slightly syrupy, modest carbonation, hop acidity.

D: It's a sipper.

I'd say it's closer to a barley wine.

Thanks Mike (MDS).

3.37/5  rDev -14.9%

12oz bottle, $8 Woodman's Madison, WI.

Cloudy amber, thick mouthfeel and smells like laundry detergent.
Incredible hop taste, sweet pine, leaves sugary taste on my lips, like a candy.
Very sweet and super strong.
The aroma isn't as strong as the taste.
I know I should be sipping this one, but it's going down very well.
I have one more bottle, which I plan to age. That might be difficult.
Drinkability: Drink this one slow.

--- one year later re-review ---
Aged for one year in my basement.
A beautiful orange color with slight cloudiness. Dense white foamy head that turns clumpy eventually settling out.

Mild rubbing alcohol aroma.
Thick mouthfeel leaves a lingering sweetness on my lips.
Bitter fruit flavors and tartness can be detected if you can get past the strong alcohol flavor. Let it just sit in your mouth for awhile.

Intense heat once the air combines with it.

Dry apple aftertaste. Sip slowly.

Aging one year didn't mellow this out much at all.
The most intense alcohol flavor I've ever had from a beer.
Personally I'd rather pay for the 60 or 90 min, but I'm glad I had the opportunity to try this one.

3.92/5  rDev -1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12oz bottle in pint glass

A: Gorgeous amber/gold color with a thin white head. The head disappears quickly and leaves a small amount of lace.
S: Holy crap, this is incredible. A massive burst of citrus hops hits immediately.
T: My wife described this as apricots soaked in grain alcohol :) I think this is a huge mouthful of malts and american hops. It comes across as very sweet/malty at first and then the hops.
M: It doesn't come across as thick but, it is very mouth-coating. The carbonation helps balance the malt but, it only helps a bit.
D: Like most Dogfish beers, this is a very interesting beer and I am glad I tried it but, I don't think I will pick up another of these. In the end, this is just too over the top for me. I like most/all double IPAs but this has too much of a malt backbone.

Eye: Dark cloudy orange amber in appearance. This beer has great head retention and lacing. Head is creamy in appearance. Overall good though I would have thought it wouldn't be as cloudy.

Nose: Spicy and floral hop notes are right up front in this brew. Also has a good strong sweet malt backbone. Given that this brew is up there in abv, I'll say that it is hidden pretty damn well in the aroma. Even though it is noticeable, unless I knew this were about 20% I'd guess it were about 7%. Was expecting something a bit more "in your face."

Tongue: Bittering hops make themselves know right up front. Malt flavors slightly balance this brew out then again are swallowed by floral and spicy hop flavors. Alcohol is evident, giving a warming sensation as it goes down.

Mouthfeel and Drinkability: Good medium bodied mouthfeel with lower carbonation levels give this beer a good mouthfeel. Warms a bit as it goes down. This beer also ends with a bitter taste and feel, making the mouth water, making one want more. The beer is great, I'd definitely drink it again, though at about $8.50 a bottle its a little steep. Sure its good, but I don't think one could drink this all night, if you can and you have the dollars to roll like that more power to you. However, once a person has had two to three of these I think that drinking such an expensive and high class beer would be a waste. I wouldn't want to waste this beer by drinking it when I am drunk, or getting there.

4.53/5  rDev +14.4%

Bottled 12/18/06

A - A thick, monsterous head sits atop a hazy amber brew. The lacing thin, yet densely populating the sides of the glass. This is the first beer over 15% that has had any lacing to speak about.

S - Smell is awesome! Caramel with a touch of molasses. Black licorice, grapefruit and pine.

T - Molasses. I really figured I would say hops first, but it is definitely molasses. Absurdly sweet with anise and caramel then comes some spicy pepper and grapefruit flesh. Aftertaste is a surprisingly mild bitterness. This would age absurdly well, but now I really want to try this fresh.

M - Thick, like swishing yogurt in your mouth, there is a lot of residue, in spite of this it is actually a little refreshing. A huge amount of warming in the aftermath.

D - Here it gets docked. It is too strong. I will definitely have again. Probably this week since my favorite beer bar is getting it in soon.

This is my 500th review. Thank you craft brewers, BA and the rest of the beer community! It has been a pleasure so far! Many more reviews to come on my transfer to the West coast. Hooray beer!!!

4.42/5  rDev +11.6%

After first taking on the 120 as a young hop novice years ago, I recently dared to take on the beast at the dogfish head brewery itself. after partaking of randalized 90 min all evening, the 120 was still like that first hit of crack on a cold February morning. The 120 has a tremendous syrupy mouthfeel, backed up by a surprisingly smooth mega-hoppy aroma and flavor.

4.5/5  rDev +13.6%

Had this one on-tap at The Yard House (Las Vegas) 10 Jun 2014

Pours a nice clear/clean golden orange color, nice carbonation, nice one-finger plus creamy off-white head, nice islands and sticky lacing afterwards. The nose is sweet, malty, hoppy, some dark fruit, maybe some caramel. The taste is pretty sweet, malty, nice hoppy effect, some kinda dark fruit going on. Nice sweet after taste with a nice alcohol warming effect in the body. Medium body. Very drinkable, definitely a sipper, I like this one, way to go DFH. I'm glad I had a chance to try this on-tap, way different than the bottle version.

Thanks goes out to Faro for this brew.

12oz. Bottle On 03/29/06

Pours a nice clear/clean golden orange color, nice carbonation, nice small one-finger creamy off-white head, nice islands and sticky lacing afterwards. The nose is sweet, malty, hoppy, some dark fruit, maybe some caramel. The taste is pretty sweet, malty, nice hoppy effect, some kinda dark fruit going on. Nice sweet after taste with a nice alcohol warming effect in the body. Medium body. Very drinkable, definitely a sipper, I like this one, way to go DFH. I'm glad I have another bottle that I bought.

2.83/5  rDev -28.5%

Poured from a 12oz bottle with a laser bottled on date on the label. This one is 6 months old. Poured a copper orange color. Was very hazy with a ton of yeast floating around. It had a good head that slowly settled into a constant film. Good lacing. The aroma was very hoppy as expected but shared the limelight with a heavy sweet syrupy smell. Could tell from the smell that it was gonna be too sweet and I was right. Expected an insanely hopped ADIPA and instead get a overly sweet syrup with some hops in the back. It's a mess and not very enjoyable. Love ADIPA's lately but hated this one. (2, NA, ML, N)

4.58/5  rDev +15.7%

Poured into a snifter and received a real nice head that stuck strong for a few minutes. Beautiful copper tone on this one. Once the head settles out, a little ring is left and the foam just sticks to the sides. No visible chunks on the first pour but not completely clear either.

The aroma is very floral and sweet like nectar. Fruity hop tones come through nicely. Orange peel...

The taste: Surprisingly sweet... Fruity and floral hop notes dance with the sweet maltiness. Sour oranges. Fresh green herbal notes. A touch of cough syrup. Biscuit. Caramel. The finish is complex with hops and dries the palate, leaving you wanting more. A nice warmth from the ethanol on the roof of the mouth is there but not overpowering. The carbonation plays an important role here, leaving a dry, crisp finish.

Dangerously drinkable! This one was bottled just over a month ago, and is much hoppier than I remember the last one I had, which must have been quite aged. This one is quite hoppy, but very balanced with the sweetness and the alcohol. I am stocking up on this batch!

A: A nice tight head to start with, a little ring survives but at 21% i was suprised by what i got there is a nice amber almost peach applecider look to it. very nice to look at.

S: there is definatly some hops and estery aromas. Its suprising the alcohol is not more prevalent. there is also some ripened fruits raisons?

T: wow, suprised. I had one friend who likes this beer, one who hates it. one who feels its like liqour another who thinks wine/beer. I feel a hoppy barley wine comes to mind. there is a decent amount of hops, there is some ripened fruits, grapes raisons(same thing) plums? there is a dry
bitter taste

M: suprisingle medium bodied. this is by no means a heavy beer. its almost wine like and very easy to consume and enjoy. i was almost "scared" to try it simply due to the novelty of 21% made me think this has o be too over the top....it wasnt, it was very good, and id have it again some time

**note, i finished this beer in about 45 mins, and feel fine. more a point that (in my opinion) you can enjoy without worry of getting hammered

120 Minute IPA from Dogfish Head Craft Brewery